Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed? Forgive if this has already been covered....

ColtsHappy

I think Bethea is a very solid FS....but is he worthy of 5.75 mill we will be paying him this year? I'm just playing devil's advocate. None of those ints came last year in our new defensive scheme. He makes a lot of tackles because our secondary gives up a lot of catches. He is solid player...but he isn't a difference maker. He isn't going to put fear into a qb throwing deep or up the seem. Like I said...I'm fine with him....there aren't many I would take over him but he is often rated outside the top 10 FS in football. He isn't elite. I wouldn't be up for necessarily releasing him but if there is a market for him...I would consider it. He will be a FA after next year. I don't see us bringing him back. I would rather draft a FS and let them play behind Reed if the price is right. The price probably won't be right...I'm sure Reed will get 5 mill himself in FA.

Problem is I don't know what we could get for him in a trade. I like him a lot, but I do think this is his last season in Indy.

Then stop acting like anything anyone suggests that you don't agree with is wrong. Also, if you want to call it smart a** stupidity, that's okay. I just find your attitude funny is all. This is a forum to state opinions on, not to be told I'm stupid.

And that you're correct on. I meant Grigson, not Pagano. You got me there.

I simply asked a question and stated a couple simple opinions....I'm not sure how u found attitude in that. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have said stupid, but rather a condescending question.

Agree to disagree

I look at it this way. If bethea is up for a contract next year do we sign him to a long term deal? Or do we get something for him and get a rookie in here to start grooming. People need to get their personal feelings out of the way

I agree with drafting to potentially replace Bethea, but I don't agree with bringing in an old Ed Reed.

I agree with drafting to potentially replace Bethea, but I don't agree with bringing in an old Ed Reed.

I only would if we moved bethea. Wouldn't bring him in to bring him in. I think we're good in the back field. Now if someone was offering a second rounder for bethea who may not be in future plans. That's a different story.

Btw, don't think we could get a second for bethea

Ugh this SUCKS.

I love Reed. Who doesn't? I am sure Wayne would do back flips to have him on this team.

And I get the feeling Reed would sign here too. He just won a ring and he would be perfectly comfortable ending his career with Pagano and Reggie and providing some veteran insight here to a growing team.

This is from Feb 28th and from Bethea:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/2/28/4028616/wild-weekend-view-from-the-inside-of-the-nfl-combine

I told him how Colts fans are excited about all the cap space this season and how it appears that they will be spenders in free agency. "Play GM for a second and tell me who you would sign on defense."

He hesitated.

"You don't have to give me name. What position would you go for?"

He smiled. "Well, first, let me give you the political answer and say 'whoever can help us win'. If I was going to give you a name... I don't know. I love Ed Reed."

I smiled because I want the Colts to sign Ed Reed. "I talked to Reggie Wayne about him yesterday," I said. "Don't you guys play the same position? Would you slide over if they signed him?"

Bethea smiled again and said, "Man, I play SAFETY. I'll slide over, play in the box, whatever. Whatever it takes. I'll let Ed Reed do his thing."

This was good stuff. I know that Reggie Wayne and Antoine Bethea aren't the ones that will be signing free agents, but if Wayne starts recruiting and Bethea willing to 'do whatever' it seems like a real possibility.

I said goodbye to Antoine and finished my lunch.

how about option c it defiantly wont be popular but trade bethea and our first round pick for revis and then sign reed.  most people will probably say that wouldn't be smart but who is going to be better or more proven than revis in the first.  then we can either tryto get reeds replacement in the third or wait till next draft and get him on pick 32.

Option A:  FS Bethea   SS Landry

Option B:  FS Reed   SS Landry

+draft picks in exchange for Bethea (2nd round pick??)

Which do you like better?