Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Make Or Break for Grigson?

John Waylon

First and foremost, I am not complaining, nor am I complementing. I'll trust his judgement until we see the product and how it comes together.

I feel with the way we were so aggressive with low value targets in free agency, passing up some of the bigger, more proven names, that if these signings don't work out, it's going to give legitimate reason to wonder about Grigson. (I'm not complaining we didn't sign big names. I'm stating a fact.)

Cherilus seems to be a good sign, as does Landry.

Toler has people optimistic, as does RJF, and Thomas. These guys aren't exactly proven commodities at their positions, however (and in the case of RJF he could be playing any position along the line as I understand, my bet is he goes to DE and we still give Champamn a chance at NT) and we've signed them to deals as if they are proven starters.

Walden has us all scratching our heads, and supportive of it or not, we all seem weary of just simply giving him that spot.

If this class of free agents comes in and happens largely to be a flop, where does that leave us wondering about Grigson?

I will say, these deals seem to be cut-friendly, which is a HUGE plus. Not a ton of gauranteed money, rather, paying for what we expect to get as opposed to what we felt we had to give them to get them here.

But if some of these guys are defecient at the position, how much will it cause you to wonder about Grigs?

If the majority of these guys come in, and blow the world away with their play, obviously he'll establish himself as a guy whose moves you don't question. If he misses more than he hits, however, I think it will legitimately give way for some doubts.

Again, I'm not criticizing or complementing. I feel like this FA signing period may be "feast or famine". Just interested in hearing other people's takes on it if it does, or doesn't work out.

This being his first real crack at FA as a GM (yep, he was GM last year, but the Colts were cash strapped), I'm not going gloom and doom nor professing him as the best ever after this season. I believe the Colts are improved, and will continue to improve.

I'm more likely to give him a bit of a pass, as his signings seem to be fiscally responsible. Look at the situation the team was in, big money tied up in a few pieces. He's working to build a team, and I have faith that the team will be a monster. But we will see some pieces get discarded along the way.

If the majority of the signings turn out to be a bust, and he follows up the same way in foll, I'll worry. For now, I like his approach. Too many holes to fill at once, especially if he was going for the "splash".

Why is this even a question? A draft class normally takes 2-3 years to develop, a FA class should take lesser number of years. Our contracts have been written with enough of an out w.r.t the Colts side, so the risk exposure has been minimized. Last year's draft class already showed what it can potentially do. The FA class will be given at least a year to show us what it can do.

I dont see the need for a "make or break" question till about a few years from now, just my two cents. On the contrary, will this offseason be the start of Grigson's legacy?  Possibly, yes.

Polian's legacy was built over years, thus we should give any GM at least 5 years, IMO to go through an entire draft class's contracts, and ample free agency to see how the draft picks work and how the money is being spent in FA as well, and the bottomline, how it translates to winning on the field.

First and foremost, I am not complaining, nor am I complementing. I'll trust his judgement until we see the product and how it comes together.

I feel with the way we were so aggressive with low value targets in free agency, passing up some of the bigger, more proven names, that if these signings don't work out, it's going to give legitimate reason to wonder about Grigson. (I'm not complaining we didn't sign big names. I'm stating a fact.)

Toler has people optimistic, as does RJF, and Thomas. These guys aren't exactly proven commodities at their positions, however (and in the case of RJF he could be playing any position along the line as I understand, my bet is he goes to DE and we still give Champamn a chance at NT) and we've signed them to deals as if they are proven starters.

Walden has us all scratching our heads, and supportive of it or not, we all seem weary of just simply giving him that spot.

If this class of free agents comes in and happens largely to be a flop, where does that leave us wondering about Grigson?

I will say, these deals seem to be cut-friendly, which is a HUGE plus. Not a ton of gauranteed money, rather, paying for what we expect to get as opposed to what we felt we had to give them to get them here.

But if some of these guys are defecient at the position, how much will it cause you to wonder about Grigs?

If the majority of these guys come in, and blow the world away with their play, obviously he'll establish himself as a guy whose moves you don't question. If he misses more than he hits, however, I think it will legitimately give way for some doubts.

Again, I'm not criticizing or complementing. I feel like this FA signing period may be "feast or famine". Just interested in hearing other people's takes on it if it does, or doesn't work out.

Is this a serious question?

Half of them will flop...    That is just the way it works.     If we hit on half or FA's and draft picks we are doing VERY WELL.

This thread is ridiculous. 

Even if some of the FA signing's do flop, I Still trust in Grigs, If his FA signing's flop and his draft flops, then maybe we can talk.

There is no "make or break" signing here though.  The Bronco's signing of Peyton last year was arguably "make or break" because of the high cost, the risk, but the potential for high reward.  High risk, high reward, and as John Elway said at the time- "there is no Plan B."  It worked out for him and he was a GM of the year candidate, but what if Peyton couldn't play?

In contrast, look at what Grigson is doing this year.  He is essentially acting like a fund manager and signing LOTS of guys with moderate risk but with upside.  Because we are signing so many mid-level deals the risk is spread out.  No single contract will hose us, and in all likelihood some of these guys will be good and some of them won't be worth it. That is just reality. The ratio of hits to misses may tell us something about our current front office's talent evaluation, BUT what is much more important is to look at how well the contracts are drafted to minimize the damage on the inevitable misses and allow us to cut dead weightand move on.  

Ryan Grigson  Make or Break ??  :funny:  The Dude did such a terrible job in his first year  as GM . :censored2:Hopefully he'll do twice as bad in 2013  IMO  :thmup:  :clap:Go Colts :blueshoe:

Griggs mentioned yesterday that he went after players that Coach thought would fit.
These players are chosen after Great study by a lot of experienced people I believe.
The group sits down and go over the players just like you would for the draft and work for consenus.
 Griggs as the leader has to figure out Value/ price and they roll it all over a few more times, set the plan and

have one wild opening day.

Most important for me is they added so many 26-28 year old who have been preparing so long for a chance to PLAY.
Hungry Hungry Hungry

And we filled so many needs. We needed to get SOLID at each position First.
No Vaughn starting
no Olson
I won`t name any more. We have more talent Everywhere and that is Great!!

Great leader, great Coaching, Hungry & Motivated. Anyone doubt the ship is turned?

So,  I'm wondering........

But,  is there an emoticon that shows me ripping my own eyes out of my skull?!?  

:woah:      :eek:     :omg:    (these are as close as I could find!)

Hey,  just askin....

(I think I've aged a couple of years in the last few days....)       :facepalm:

XOXOXO

Someone made a topic about this?

Smh!

You know what? Sometimes I'm embarrassed by other Colts fans. Hopefully our team will rub off on some of these fans! So they can be more tough instead of a bunch of Nancy's!

No offense if there's a nancy in the house ;)

I think maybe a lot of people only read the thread title and didn't read the entire post. Perhaps the title is a little alarmist...

paying for what we expect to get as opposed to what we felt we had to give them to get them here.

That's probably what Grigson was focusing on, not paying the marquee prices just because they're marquee, but trying to project what certain guys will be able to do for the team, and paying them accordingly. Maybe he reached a little far on Walden, maybe there's a little more guaranteed money in some of these deals than was necessary. But I think paying Walden a couple million more than necessary is better than breaking the bank for a big name. Nine million dollars a year would have landed Kruger, but is he worth that? And if it doesn't work out, which one hurts the team more? Being a little high on Walden, or being extra high on Kruger and having guaranteed him $20m?

I'm skeptical of a couple of these moves, myself. But again, they aren't going to handicap us if they don't work out. If Walden is a bum, we can release him, be entirely free of his contract after 2014, and still have money and cap space to pay someone else. I think, if nothing else, Grigson's moves have been shrewd and calculated. Maybe they won't work out, but being reasonable and at least somewhat objective, I would think that the ability to undo any mistakes is what will save him in the long run.

I felt his signings were all very responsible. No one has really been paid enough to put us in a bad situation with the cap and at the same time we are spending what we have to help is improve in a lot of areas.

I'd much rather have 6 or 7 FA's in the $3M-$7M range, than 1-2 guys in the $8M-$12M

Looks like we're running low on reading comprehension around here.

Did I mention "firing" in the original post?

Lets check. Hold your control key, and hit the F key. A little box pops up. Typ in the word "fire" and hit enter.

HOLY SWEET BABY JESUS!

It doesn't come up in my post.

Allow me to introduce this as "Reading Deficiency, Exhibit A"

And then we have people talking about complaining... Just...

:facepalm:

I mean, I stated very clearly, two times over, once in the very first statement of the post, that I was not complaining. Go read it again if you must, but it was missed multiple times the first two times, I hold little hope for a miracle at this point.

Reading Deficiency, Exhibit B.

The key question of the post, the sole reason for this topic, which was meant to spur a good discussion and not guesses as the the career future of Grigson, was as follows:

YOU. Not me. Not my opinion. It was meant to be a question to bring about discussion. Not this "Oh, you be complainin' and a bad fan and all that" crap this thread has brought about.

Reading Deficiency, Exhibit C.

A lot of people around here have forgotten how to have a proper, thoughtful, debated discussion about the subject which brought us here in lieu of "I'm a better fan than you and your opinion is invalid" petty nonsense that litters this place these days.

Lock this topic.

An open question to the opinions of others is obviously above that of which we're capable.

so we do nothing in FA we complain. we go butt wild in FA we complain. man you guys are hard to please your like my ex girlfriend.

Or like everyone's ex girlfriend. But just think, she's probably someone's wife now. Or ex wife.

I digress...

My goodness.  The answer is an obvious emphatic no.  The only one this is even a remote possibility is if we go 0-16, and the odds of that are EXTREMELY non existent.

We've done pretty much nothing but upgrade at most positions.  Our losses either create massive cap space (Freeney) or get rid of players that weren't doing much for us (Zbikowski).  All in all, on paper, this team is already improved, and we haven't even seen what the draft will bring.  This staff has pretty much a bye this season in terms of being on the hotseat because they overachieved big time last season.  No way you get rid of anyone on a staff that did what they did last year.