Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have placed the franchise tag on Pat McAfee

Coltswarriors

I'm glad they tagged him, we need him and he has said he wants to stay with Indy.  Seems like I had read before that he wouldn't mind if Indy tagged him also. Now they have more time to get a contract worked out !!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Schefter's tweet irked me a little:

Proof of how front offices view rosters differently than fans: Colts used franchise tag on P Pat McAfee, not DE/LB Dwight Freeney.

What fans is he talking about? 

Freeney didn't fit anymore and I think most (reasonable) fans would agree.

Edit: I don't understand the constant dig at the fans. The NFL would be NOTHING without loyal fans. Even Schefter might not have a good job without us. Sorry for the rant but I had to get that off my chest.

this is crazy. i don't believe there is that much difference in punters to justify this much money. i would never do this.

We may yet replace Vinatari this year and certainly next year with a kicker who takes over the kickoff responsibilities, making McAfee less valuable.

Pat does a nice job on punts, but I don`t see him being that much better than a Minimum wager.

MUCH Rather spend the $2-2.5 M on a position player.

I definitely think it’s smart of the Colts to keep Mac. He has good value, especially if you take everything into consideration.

• He’s one of the better punters
  • He’s a great guy to have in the locker room
  • He takes/can take kickoffs and can be a decent backup kicker if the starter goes down
  • He’s a good tackler, one of the better on the Colts special team and probably the best of the punters in the NFL
  • He’s young and can be with the team for many years
  • Punter is the cheapest position to have a top 5-10 guy in the NFL and a more important position than most fans think

18th inside the 20

5th average

15th net average

tied for 2nd in tackles with 4, there are 6 with 3 tackles. i can't believe people are actually using this as a meaningful punter's stat.

those don't seem like franchise tag numbers to me.

I definitely think it’s smart of the Colts to keep Mac. He has good value, especially if you take everything into consideration.

• He’s one of the better punters
  • He’s a great guy to have in the locker room
  • He takes/can take kickoffs and can be a decent backup kicker if the starter goes down
  • He’s a good tackler, one of the better on the Colts special team and probably the best of the punters in the NFL
  • He’s young and can be with the team for many years
  • Punter is the cheapest position to have a top 5-10 guy in the NFL and a more important position than most fans think

when has he shown that he is a decent fg kicker?

tackler?? look above.

I called this way back during the season.  We have no other free agents worth the tag and the tag for a punter is cheap by NFL standards for a star player.  I am sure a long term deal will follow.  The Tag has become a safety net in long term negations.  It's a way to say hands off to the rest of the NFL and know you are going to keep that one free agent.  A lot of players who get tagged end up working out a long term deal not unlike Mathis the year before or Peyton the two times we tagged him.  I believe Edge is the only player who has played a year under the franchise tag for the Colts in recent memory. 

18th inside the 20

5th average

15th net average

tied for 2nd in tackles with 4, there are 6 with 3 tackles. i can't believe people are actually using this as a meaningful punter's stat.

those don't seem like franchise tag numbers to me.

:facepalm:  Also glad your not the GM

Yeah, I don't get the crusades some people seem to get on. McAfee is a very good punter and a very good kickoff man. Not the very best, but you don't want to go out and replace him when you already have him, especially not at his age. Tagging him is the smart decision, and it really doesn't cost too much more than the average compensation for a veteran punter.

Never thought I'd see a day when the Colts would use the Franchise Tag on a punter and I'd be perfectly fine with it!  Per position, Patty Mac is one of the top players on this team and one of the best in the league at what he does.  Like the leverage it gives the Colts to lock him up long-term.  Since he's a punter so we shouldn't even have to break the bank to do it. 

I"m not at all happy that the two sides couldn't come to terms on a long-term agreement.    Either one side, or likely both sides are playing hardball.

Either way,  McAfee has taken the high road in his public response....   smart call....

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/McAFEE-FRANCHISED/a4fe729f-36b9-4d9b-9eb6-1bcdf549924a

Colts still have plenty of time to sign him long term

Colts still have plenty of time to sign him long term

yup and that's what I fully expect to happen.  The franchise tag has really become a negotiation tool that teams use to protect a star player from signing with another team while buying more time for them to work out a long term deal with that player.  Like I said before I think Edge is the only player who has played out the franchise tag for a year for the Colts in recent memory.  We have used it many times to get long term deals done including twice with Peyton and with Mathis just last year. 

$1.2 Million of dead money is Nothing for this year. Griggs won`t come even close to spending all our $$$.

By replacing Vinatteri you would $AVE about $1.8 Million and very likely have a better kicker.

The new CBA calls for all teams to spend 89% of all cap money. So as for as your comment about Griggs not coming close to spending all the cap money is faulty. He has to spend 89% or the Colts will face fines from the NFL. 

That's why I'm glad you're not our GM.

Is there any punter in the NFL who is a better safety net as far as TDs returned against our punting team? I don't think so. We improved a little this last season but Mr. Boomstick has made a lot of special team tackles since he has been here. Most punters do not have that in their game.

The new CBA calls for all teams to spend 89% of all cap money. So as for as your comment about Griggs not coming close to spending all the cap money is faulty. He has to spend 89% or the Colts will face fines from the NFL. 

No we don`t have to spend 89% of the CAP this year. Come on now.

And if you think if they did spend 89% and still had $12+Million left to spend and THAT IS CLOSE, I don`t know what to tell you!

Yes I enjoy watching Pat make tackles. And we all look forward to better coverage. He was 3rd worst last season in yards allowed per return BTW.

From the top ten list of 2012 Punters-

and how many Tackles each made

Brandon Fields 3

T Morstedd 3

Pat McAfee 4 - Total tackles for the season and he does kickoffs Too.

Bryan Anger 3

S Weatherford 2

Matt Bosher 4

3 of the ten had 1 tackle

1 had 0

yup and that's what I fully expect to happen.  The franchise tag has really become a negotiation tool that teams use to protect a star player from signing with another team while buying more time for them to work out a long term deal with that player.  Like I said before I think Edge is the only player who has played out the franchise tag for a year for the Colts in recent memory.  We have used it many times to get long term deals done including twice with Peyton and with Mathis just last year. 

And if some team was crazey enough to sign him we get 2 1st round picks

Sorry, not correct. The new CBA states teams must spend 89% of the salary cap through the 2013 - 2016 seasons. They do not have to spend 89% each of those seasons.

how is the tag a bargaining chip with a punter? players want long term contracts with big signing bonuses because of the risk of injury. there is very little chance of a punter having a career ending injury. i am sure he is glad to be one of the top payed players every year with a franchise tag. the money may not be a big thing now, but it adds up over time. i remember all the great gm's her saying the exact same things about sanders, freeney, clark, bracket, and hayden. then the next thing you know there are cap problems and complaints about bp's bad contract decisions. a couple million her and there adds up over time. 

how is the tag a bargaining chip with a punter? players want long term contracts with big signing bonuses because of the risk of injury. there is very little chance of a punter having a career ending injury. i am sure he is glad to be one of the top payed players every year with a franchise tag. the money may not be a big thing now, but it adds up over time. i remember all the great gm's her saying the exact same things about sanders, freeney, clark, bracket, and hayden. then the next thing you know there are cap problems and complaints about bp's bad contract decisions. a couple million her and there adds up over time.

You're acting like paying the punter is going to destroy the cap or something. He's only making like $2M or something.

You're acting like paying the punter is going to destroy the cap or something. He's only making like $2M or something.

3 million and it keeps going up every year, but whats a million here and there every year except cap problems down the road. luck will be one of the highest payed players in the nfl in a couple of years and the colts will need every million of cap space.

3 million and it keeps going up every year, but whats a million here and there every year except cap problems down the road. luck will be one of the highest payed players in the nfl in a couple of years and the colts will need every million of cap space.

Why would it go up every year? It's not like we're going to tag a punter 2 years in a row. They'll get a long term deal done before the season start

Why would it go up every year? It's not like we're going to tag a punter 2 years in a row. They'll get a long term deal done before the season start

what if he says he likes being tagged and the highest payed punter every year. that's what i would probably do, and i am sure why he hasn't complained like position players, with a much greater chance of injury, do. all you have done is set the salary bar too high.

I don't see why anyone is complaining about putting the tag on Pat. It's cheap and goes to a great weapon even if he is a punter. Plus he's awesome lol if any of you can find his interview at the combine, it was classic(10+ minutes).

And anyways who else would we put it on?

No kidding...  one would think that a Colt fan would be a HUGE supporter of ST's after the last decade of horrible field position this franchise just went through.

I have said it many time ...     Patty Mac was Indy's second MVP last season.   And it wasn't close....

Your not understanding how truly valuable field position is. He was tagged so he didn't hit the open market. A deal will get done soon. Chill out and look forward to Free Agency in a few weeks! :)

Yes two pick sixs last year were direct result of McAfee's punts putting the other team on the one yard line.  The one in the home Titans game and the one in the Bears game to start the year. 

Your not understanding how truly valuable field position is. He was tagged so he didn't hit the open market. A deal will get done soon. Chill out and look forward to Free Agency in a few weeks! :)