Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pep Hamilton interview

Marcio James

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he said we were going to use the continental West Coast offense people would get worried. Lets watch to see what happens before we judge.  It can't be that different than last years offense, we still have the same players, so he will have to work around their talents if he wants to keep his job. 

1. But Hamilton also seems to be a fan of Norv Turner's more aggressive approach. #Colts

2. Hamilton watched original tapes of Bill Walsh installing West Coast offense in San Fran. #Colts

so people like me, who worried about deep shots are getting what they watned :)

I like him. He seems like an even keeled coach. What I don't like is I get a sense he wants to fix the O-line from inside the organization and to me that is unacceptable.

I also don't mind not being a labeled offense. If we run the pistol at times, WCO at others, and the Norv Turner offense at times as well I'd be fine. Whatever works. The W is all that matters in this league. 

1. But Hamilton also seems to be a fan of Norv Turner's more aggressive approach. #Colts

2. Hamilton watched original tapes of Bill Walsh installing West Coast offense in San Fran. #Colts

so people like me, who worried about deep shots are getting what they watned :)

Nothin to worry about with Hamilton in my opinion, All a fan would have to do that is worried about playcalling is watch the Stanford vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl to see Hamilton has some creativity in his genes

I wouldn't mind the Pistol or Wildcat. Chandler Harnish would be the better option for the wildcat imo. So he might get some PT this year

Why would they want to take luck off the field ever? And what in Harnishes resume makes you think he would be better than luck at anything?

I like him. He seems like an even keeled coach. What I don't like is I get a sense he wants to fix the O-line from inside the organization and to me that is unacceptable.

He said he has nothing to do with choosing the personnel. He also said he's going to let Grigson and Pagano choose the players and work with what he has. Don't know how you came to that conclusion.

2732405175_francis_xlarge.jpeg

He said he has nothing to do with choosing the personnel. He also said he's going to let Grigson and Pagano choose the players and work with what he has. Don't know how you came to that conclusion.

2732405175_francis_xlarge.jpeg

Oh I didn't hear that. Idk I just thought he said that we had a bunch of O-lineman who performed well this year and he hopes to build on that. Outside of Costanzo and maybe Shipley, that is false. 

Oh I didn't hear that. Idk I just thought he said that we had a bunch of O-lineman who performed well this year and he hopes to build on that. Outside of Costanzo and maybe Shipley, that is false. 

What exactly did you expect him to say? "oh we have a bunch of O-lineman that suck, we need better talent" Probably wouldn't be the best way to start out a new relationship between him and the players, now would it.?

Nothin to worry about with Hamilton in my opinion, All a fan would have to do that is worried about playcalling is watch the Stanford vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl to see Hamilton has some creativity in his genes

With respect....   the Rose Bowl was two different games.     The first two drives, in which Stanford's offense looked brilliant and almost unstoppable....     and the rest of the game, in which Stanford's offense looked predictable and well scouted by Wisconsin.

The first two drives were scripted in practice leading up to the game.   The rest of the game, was by the seat of your pants.   And that's when the offense stagnated.

If you're a competent OC,  you can come up with a nice start to a bowl game when you've had nearly a month to prepare.   But what separates an average OC from a very good one is the rest of the game....   the flying by the seat of your pants time....   how do you adjust on the fly?    That's where you earn your money.    And, to the Stanford community, it's not clear at all what Pep can do at the most crucial times of the game.   For 3 quarters,  Stanford managed 2 field goals.   That's it.   

Here's Pep now talking about the Wildcat as if it's new.   Notice how it's barely used anywhere at all in the NFL these days.  Makes me wonder if Pep knows this?   NFL DC's have figured it out.    The pistol is fine if you have Colin Kaepernick, but Joe Flacco is not going to run it.   I'd be reluctant to use it as the staple of my offense if you don't have the right QB.    You can run it a 3-5 times a game as a change-up to fool the defense....  OK...  but what do you do as a base offense?   That's your bread and butter.    And that's the most important thing.   Who are you?   What do offense do you run?    And you darn well better do that as good as it can be done.

Sorry,  this got wordy....   I look forward to reading a story about Pep's media interview....  I want to see his quotes....  but I know Pep and I want him madly, badly, desperately to succeed....   but until he shows me,  I'm very Missouri on just how good he is....

Really.   Seriously.

Why? Would you let Peyton Manning run the Pistol?

No. Luck is a great Passer, let's not make him some gimmick.

The pistol is just a formation that chris ault came up as a more run friendly option to the shotgun. I know people associate the read option with it, but that wasn't even part of the pistol when he first installed it at Nevada. I don't believe pep would have Luck running out of the pistol.

When watching the Colts play last year, I was able to call which play we were running before the snap. There was not "disguise" in our offense. We simply said "you already know what we're trying to do, just try to stop us."  Thankfully, we have a great offensive unit that executed really well. But it could have been better.

-On run plays, we ran to the left side of the ball 90% of the time.

-On pass plays, we did not utilize screens well; didn't use roll-outs, and used only a low percentage of play-action.

I hope to see more diversity in the offense this year. NFL defenses are too good to tip our hand and rely solely on out-executing them. Let's make it easier on ourselves.

The pistol is just a formation that chris ault came up as a more run friendly option to the shotgun. I know people associate the read option with it, but that wasn't even part of the pistol when he first installed it at Nevada. I don't believe pep would have Luck running out of the pistol.

It doesn't seem like the optimal passing formation to me. I thought the whole premise on the Pistol was the threat of the run?

Any ideas on back-up QBs guys?  Stanton will not be the guy.  Who could it be?  Get out your crystal balls....

I missed this thread.....wife came  home.........for lunch.....:):popcorn:

OK.....I do not like the Read Option or the Pistol. :bag:....although I did love the veer in the 60s and 70s....and no Wildcat for me. :kitty: Lets play football! :pass:  :pass:

With respect....   the Rose Bowl was two different games.     The first two drives, in which Stanford's offense looked brilliant and almost unstoppable....     and the rest of the game, in which Stanford's offense looked predictable and well scouted by Wisconsin.

The first two drives were scripted in practice leading up to the game.   The rest of the game, was by the seat of your pants.   And that's when the offense stagnated.

If you're a competent OC,  you can come up with a nice start to a bowl game when you've had nearly a month to prepare.   But what separates an average OC from a very good one is the rest of the game....   the flying by the seat of your pants time....   how do you adjust on the fly?    That's where you earn your money.    And, to the Stanford community, it's not clear at all what Pep can do at the most crucial times of the game.   For 3 quarters,  Stanford managed 2 field goals.   That's it.   

Here's Pep now talking about the Wildcat as if it's new.   Notice how it's barely used anywhere at all in the NFL these days.  Makes me wonder if Pep knows this?   NFL DC's have figured it out.    The pistol is fine if you have Colin Kaepernick, but Joe Flacco is not going to run it.   I'd be reluctant to use it as the staple of my offense if you don't have the right QB.    You can run it a 3-5 times a game as a change-up to fool the defense....  OK...  but what do you do as a base offense?   That's your bread and butter.    And that's the most important thing.   Who are you?   What do offense do you run?    And you darn well better do that as good as it can be done.

Sorry,  this got wordy....   I look forward to reading a story about Pep's media interview....  I want to see his quotes....  but I know Pep and I want him madly, badly, desperately to succeed....   but until he shows me,  I'm very Missouri on just how good he is....

Really.   Seriously

We get you were (are?) a Stanford fan, but really. Seriously....a slight over reaction there mister.....

The pistol is just a formation that chris ault came up as a more run friendly option to the shotgun. I know people associate the read potion with it, but that wasn't even part of the pistol when he first installed it at Nevada. I don't believe pep would have Luck running out of the pistol.

this is true i played college ball at Alabama a&m (Robert Mathis) and we never ran option like never.. It was basically an i- formation /shotgun hybrid that you primarily run zone running schemes out of

I love it when someone compounds a bad comment with a worse one.

Please tell me what Manning running the pistol offense has anything to do with Luck? Clearly Luck's skillset is infinitely better to use that offense.

You think Kaepernick is a gimmick?

We get you were (are?) a Stanford fan, but really. Seriously....a slight over reaction there mister.....

What's the over-reaction?

Seriously.    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Pep was the OC at Stanford for 2 years.   I saw every game.    I was at the Rose Bowl.    From a fan's perspective, I think I know him about as well as anyone can, and certainly better than most everyone here.

So,  what's the over-reaction?

It doesn't seem like the optimal passing formation to me. I thought the whole premise on the Pistol was the threat of the run?

Neither is a heavy formation with three tight ends, one back and one receiver, but if you run play action off of it, you can make some things happen.

I don't understand this objection to a formation or a even a play design that can be effective. No one is suggesting we become a Big Ten style offense. But if we can use some different formations effectively, why not work them in?

What's the over-reaction?

Seriously.    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Pep was the OC at Stanford for 2 years.   I saw every game.    I was at the Rose Bowl.    From a fan's perspective, I think I know him about as well as anyone can, and certainly better than most everyone here.

So,  what's the over-reaction?

I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer, I think that BraveheartColt was half-heartedly joking with his reply to your post. As for the over-reaction, I think it had to do with the journalistic tone of your post. It came off as a written piece intended as an article rather than a post in a forum.

Braveheart Colt....

Allow me, if you will,  to give you some more food for thought....

I'm a Stanford fan.   I'm a Colts fan.   I wanted Luck to be able to run a WCO because I think it suits his skill-set much better.   You would think I'd be thrilled that Pep is our OC.    I'm not.    I maybe someday, but I'm not right now.   Not until I see him perform at the NFL level.

I don't know of any knowledgable Stanford fan who is the least bit concerned that Pep left and we have to replace him.  No one. And certainly not a single person who is close to the program.   As a Stanford fan that pleases me.   Hopefully, we'll be better.

But as a Colts fan too,  this worries me.   I'm worried we're not getting what I think we thought we're getting.    I'm worried Pep is not ready to be an NFL OC just yet. 

This is not about my ego.   I'll be very happy if a year from now people are telling me how wrong I was.   I'll be very happy.  If Pep is a very good OC I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.    I ***WANT*** to be wrong about Pep.    I think he's a good guy and I want him to succeed.    But he's going to have to show me what he can do on this level.    A much higher level than college football when Andrew Luck is the best player on the field by light years.      That's not the way of things on the NFL level, where there are lots of great players.   Luck isn't Peyton Manning yet. 

Pep Hamilton can make or break our season.    Clearly I want him to do great.    But, he's got to show me.... 

I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer, I think that BraveheartColt was half-heartedly joking with his reply to your post. As for the over-reaction, I think it had to do with the journalistic tone of your post. It came off as a written piece intended as an article rather than a post in a forum.

Spot on Flash, plus in an entirely different game (NFL v College), with different personel, with a different coach / boss, and against totally different style of defences, being a big fan and seeing every game for the PAST 2 full years does not guarantee you can predict the future with such certainty, and in such sure-footed fashion and as if no one else has a clue. (see, I can over-react as well).

That is all my light-hearted quip was about..

Others have responded, but I will just reiterate that the Pistol does not have to mean option. It can be very effective as a passing formation or a non-option rushing formation. Luck is way more athletic than PM ever was. He essentially has the same athleticism, if combine performance is a good indicator of athleticism  as Cam. Point is, the Pistol does not mean that Luck will be RGIII. I'd love for Pep to look at how the Seahawks utilized Wilson this year and mimic some of that with Luck (Wilson was primarily a passer first).