Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pep Hamilton interview

Marcio James

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heck i rather be the 49ers who are balanced all the way from D to O than the one trick ponies GB who deppend entirely on Aaron rodgers..

didnt we make that mistake with Peyton already?

I agree! And what got us over the humb and a Super Bowl win was our d turned it on in the playoffs. Look what ravens did with flacco. Niners with kaep. Seattle with Wilson. Now imagine those teams with Luck!

I don't want to see us become a pistol/read option team like the Niners or Seahawks. But I do think some of their read option stuff is very effective, and it would make sense to incorporate it. I would think Hamilton would be fairly familiar with what Harbaugh is doing with Kaepernick.

Of course, none of that matters if we don't upgrade our offensive line.

why? Wilson almost got to the SB with 10 pass pllayes less...

its about being effective and what each game rquires not a count

No, that is a ridiculous statement to make. The SEAHAWKS almost got to the SB with one of the leagues best defenses and a top 5 RB.

Luck is a better passer than Wilson ever thought of being. That's like Comparing Tom Brady to Matt Schaub.

Luck NEEDS to use his talented arm at least 33-35 times a game on average, Wilson doesn't have to throw that much because of the offense they run, their stout defense, and the beast they call Marshawn Lynch, and personally I think they play to Wilson's strengths.

Luck throwing the ball 25 times a game is not playing to his strengths.

heck i rather be the 49ers who are balanced all the way from D to O than the one trick ponies GB who deppend entirely on Aaron rodgers..

didnt we make that mistake with Peyton already?

What?

What part of 49ers offense is balanced? They are a running team, they are basically one dimensional, Ravens dared Kaep to throw it in the superbowl, and he couldn't make the throws.

What?

What part of 49ers offense is balanced? They are a running team, they are basically one dimensional, Ravens dared Kaep to throw it in the superbowl, and he couldn't make the throws.

He passed for 302 yards in the Super Bowl. He destroyed the Packers almost singlehandedly, running and passing. Maybe they favor the run, but calling them one dimensional is just wrong. I don't understand how you're reaching your conclusions...

Why?  Luck can do it ..  just another dimension for a D to worry about in the red zone.

I like.    Andrew Luck is EVERY bit the athlete Cam, Kap, RG3 and all the other hot shots are.   BUT, Luck IS something they have yet to prove.  .....       he is QB that can get it done from the pocket when everything turns to poo.

He proved it 7 times late in games last season.

Andrew L is a weapon...  use him accordingly. 

That makes me want to cry.

He passed for 302 yards in the Super Bowl. He destroyed the Packers almost singlehandedly, running and passing. Maybe they favor the run, but calling them one dimensional is just wrong. I don't understand how you're reaching your conclusions...

What is the 49ers Run to pass ratio? It's easy to get big yardage out of big plays.

Vs GB = 31 pass 43 run

vs ATL = 21 pass 29 run

vs Bal = 28 pass 29 run (They Lost)

Why?  Luck can do it ..  just another dimension for a D to worry about in the red zone.

I like.    Andrew Luck is EVERY bit the athlete Cam, Kap, RG3 and all the other hot shots are.   BUT, Luck IS something they have yet to prove.  .....       he is QB that can get it done from the pocket when everything turns to poo.

He proved it 7 times late in games last season.

Andrew L is a weapon...  use him accordingly. 

He can do it until he goes out for the year with a concussion.

A QB with the brain of Luck does not need any concussions. His brain is what gives him the capability to be elite.

Like I said before, if all the receivers are covered I'm good with those 15 yard scrambles up the middle, Rodgers does it all day long, and Luck could probably take those runs even further.

Mameluc......you will still see deep passes....more than likely it will come from more play action.....you addiction will still be satisified, Sir.   :thmup:

There was nothing more beautiful then watching Peyton Manning run the play action when we had a running game. As soon as he faked the hand off, I would seriously hold my breath in anticipation of the down field throw.

Would love to have that feeling again.

Oh lordy...     Luck may be asked to do it on the goal line once or twice a game.    Just to make the D think.

And as far a concussion....   better tell the All American Franchise QB he aint allowed to block, tackle, or RUN anymore.

It's football ..........................   You sound like Mike Greenburg...     

He can do it until he goes out for the year with a concussion.

A QB with the brain of Luck does not need any concussions. His brain is what gives him the capability to be elite.

Like I said before, if all the receivers are covered I'm good with those 15 yard scrambles up the middle, Rodgers does it all day long, and Luck could probably take those runs even further.

I'm sure Pep will be fine. We might start slow because he hasn't been a huge play caller for any team. He has to learn also.

There was nothing more beautiful then watching Peyton Manning run the play action when we had a running game. As soon as he faked the hand off, I would seriously hold my breath in anticipation of the down field throw.

They bit on the fake to Edge and Harrison burned them deep. Man that was an awesome time.

No, that is a ridiculous statement to make. The SEAHAWKS almost got to the SB with one of the leagues best defenses and a top 5 RB.

Luck is a better passer than Wilson ever thought of being. That's like Comparing Tom Brady to Matt Schaub.

Luck NEEDS to use his talented arm at least 33-35 times a game on average, Wilson doesn't have to throw that much because of the offense they run, their stout defense, and the beast they call Marshawn Lynch, and personally I think they play to Wilson's strengths.

Luck throwing the ball 25 times a game is not playing to his strengths.

who the heck compared luck to wilson? 

and you are exactly making my point the SEAHAWKS almost got there not deppending on Wilson... he was part of a freaking team.... im saying we shouldnt deppend on luck and im saying its ridiculous your magic formula to win games...

every game desverves its own plan not a freaking 35 count because you believe thats the way...if throwing the ball 24 times allows us to be balanced and more dangerous so be it...if we need to throw 40 times because we are getting no running game or getting behind so be it but you are basing absolutely nothing in saying he needs to throw 35 times

i know that man...i missed that feeling

I don't want to see us become a pistol/read option team like the Niners or Seahawks. But I do think some of their read option stuff is very effective, and it would make sense to incorporate it.

Exactly. Why can't an offense incorporate a little bit of everything, depending on the situation? Luck is gifted enough to run pretty much anything.

I'm concerned that Pep is our OC. Not that I think he doesn't have it in him to do a good job, but I really don't like an OC that inexperienced to be in charge of developing an offense with as little NFL experience in key positions as we have. I wanted a more experienced candidate with a better track record, but hey...Hamilton's who we have, so best of luck to him. 

I personally hope Luck doesnt have to throw the ball 35 times a game. He had so may throws when we were behind in games and we had to throw to catch up. I would love to see us run the ball more like we did in that last drive against the Texans. We just lined up and said here we come stop us. I love the long passes down field as much as the next guy but we should be able to run the ball also to give our defense more time to rest. And I dont think Irsay is gonna let Luck get hurt running the ball. He is the OWNER and I think he will protect his investment in AL first and foremost. If he sees a play he doesnt like  I think Grigson will hear about it.

Exactly. Why can't an offense incorporate a little bit of everything, depending on the situation? Luck is gifted enough to run pretty much anything.

THIS

people are going nuts and over reading what Pep said. He's essentially saying that we want an offense that is highly unpredictable and keeps defenses on edge. This could include using the wildcat and pistol formations. Now will these and other formations like them become our staple offense? Probably not. But having them as an option forces an opposing team to account for them in game preparation, giving the Colts an edge.

Pep will also be working with personnel he never had at Stanford so his gameplan will reflect that. I see people bring up the Rosé Bowl. Stanford has no receivers and no Andrew Luck. That's not the case here.

Be ready for an offense that will do pretty much everything.. with a QB that can do pretty much everything a QB can do.

I'm concerned that Pep is our OC. Not that I think he doesn't have it in him to do a good job, but I really don't like an OC that inexperienced to be in charge of developing an offense with as little NFL experience in key positions as we have. I wanted a more experienced candidate with a better track record, but hey...Hamilton's who we have, so best of luck to him.

You do realize he has 7 years of NFL XP right ?

Why? The Pistol is an excellent weapon to confuse defenses (doesn't mean Luck will be running the ball a ton).

because some Colts fans have spent all year making fun of it and RG3 in it and talking about how Luck was a better QB because he didn't run it.  So if the Colts start to use it then those people are in danger of being wrong and for some here being right is way more important than you know the Colts doing something makes them better or not.

With that said, I can see the argument that some don't want to see us use it because it will put Luck at risk more.  With that said I would remind people two things about Luck. 

1.  He is physically bigger than RG3 and is built to be able to take some hits.

2.  He is still going to be looking to pass first and run as a last resort.

Also worth mentioning Luck has already shown he knows when to get down or get out of bounds to help avoid big hits.  So I wouldn't panic if the Colts use this some. 

I also think maybe Hamilton is just throwing everything out there now so teams have to account for it.  We'll see how much they use all this stuff he said tonight. 

I like the fact that Pep wants to incorporate read option, wildcat, and pistol.

I know coming out of the combine Luck had a better 40 time than Tebow. So he is very athletic for a big guy. I imagine him having similar running stats like this past year. I anticipate more runs with Ballard than Luck out of the pistol, wildcat, and read options.

This was exactly what I was hoping for, a offensive mind that was creative, and who could fully maximize Luck's talent.

Yeah I do. Read the QB's he's worked with and their results under him, and you tell me how excited you are for it. It's not exactly murderer's row.

And realize Luck did well with him, I don't care what others did. Others aren't Luck. If you think Grigson made this decision willy nilly, well...... I'm just glad we're all armchair GM's. :)

Yeah I do. Read the QB's he's worked with and their results under him, and you tell me how excited you are for it. It's not exactly murderer's row.

Look at who he's had at QB. When he was QB coach of the Bears from 2007-2009 he had Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman -_-

I could fart a football better than Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton could throw one.

And realize Luck did well with him, I don't care what others did. Others aren't Luck. If you think Grigson made this decision willy nilly, well...... I'm just glad we're all armchair GM's. :)

Nah, I'm giving Grigs the benefit of the doubt...but this is the first hire that I'm a little concerned about and it is because Pep doesn't have much playcalling experience.

I hope I'm dead wrong as much as you do, trust me lol. 

In general, I do not like the sound of it.  All that was needed was an O-line upgrade and a tweaking/toning down of Arians' system for this offense to be explosive.  Now it sounds like amateur hour/experimentation time.  Be careful what you wish for.  This team, with a few tweaks and upgrades, was ready to compete for a division.  Now, I have no idea what to expect.  It's wait and see.  And any running of the read/option which deliberately exposes Luck to additional hits each game is unwise.  Luck has the talent to become the next Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers... It's unnecessary.   

because some Colts fans have spent all year making fun of it and RG3 in it and talking about how Luck was a better QB because he didn't run it.  So if the Colts start to use it then those people are in danger of being wrong and for some here being right is way more important than you know the Colts doing something makes them better or not.

With that said, I can see the argument that some don't want to see us use it because it will put Luck at risk more.  With that said I would remind people two things about Luck. 

1.  He is physically bigger than RG3 and is built to be able to take some hits.

2.  He is still going to be looking to pass first and run as a last resort.

Also worth mentioning Luck has already shown he knows when to get down or get out of bounds to help avoid big hits.  So I wouldn't panic if the Colts use this some. 

I also think maybe Hamilton is just throwing everything out there now so teams have to account for it.  We'll see how much they use all this stuff he said tonight. 

Using the pistol wouldn't put luck at risk at all....unless u think they would run the read option out of it..which I think would be highly unlikely

Using the pistol wouldn't put luck at risk at all....unless u think they would run the read option out of it..which I think would be highly unlikely

@gmbremer: Hamilton said wildcat, read-option, pistol all could be part of the new offense. #Colts

What is the 49ers Run to pass ratio? It's easy to get big yardage out of big plays.

Vs GB = 31 pass 43 run

vs ATL = 21 pass 29 run

vs Bal = 28 pass 29 run (They Lost)

27 passes a game is not one dimensional. Go watch a Broncos game from 2011 if you want to see one dimensional. 

In general, I do not like the sound of it.  All that was needed was an O-line upgrade and a tweaking/toning down of Arians' system for this offense to be explosive.  Now it sounds like amateur hour/experimentation time.  Be careful what you wish for.  This team, with a few tweaks and upgrades, was ready to compete for a division.  Now, I have no idea what to expect.  It's wait and see.  And any running of the read/option which deliberately exposes Luck to additional hits each game is unwise.  Luck has the talent to become the next Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers... It's unnecessary.   

The read option doesn't necessarily expose the quarterback to hits. That's only the case if the play has a quarterback keeper option.