Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pep Hamilton interview

Marcio James

I have no dog in this fight, but as an observer, I think that BraveheartColt was half-heartedly joking with his reply to your post. As for the over-reaction, I think it had to do with the journalistic tone of your post. It came off as a written piece intended as an article rather than a post in a forum.

Flash....

Sorry about the journalistic tone of my post.   But, I can't do much about that.   I was a journalist for 30 years.   That's how I write. 

For better or worse, I think that's how most of my posts are.   I know a few people that are not fans of my writing style.   I know a few that are.    To each their own, I guess.    I'm just trying to share my thoughts and views with my new Colts family and let people react as they see fit....

Hope that clarifies....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothin to worry about with Hamilton in my opinion, All a fan would have to do that is worried about playcalling is watch the Stanford vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl to see Hamilton has some creativity in his genes

i know, i just became addictive to the deep pass plays lol

Braveheart Colt....

Allow me, if you will,  to give you some more food for thought....

I'm a Stanford fan.   I'm a Colts fan.   I wanted Luck to be able to run a WCO because I think it suits his skill-set much better.   You would think I'd be thrilled that Pep is our OC.    I'm not.    I maybe someday, but I'm not right now.   Not until I see him perform at the NFL level.

I don't know of any knowledgable Stanford fan who is the least bit concerned that Pep left and we have to replace him.  No one. And certainly not a single person who is close to the program.   As a Stanford fan that pleases me.   Hopefully, we'll be better.

But as a Colts fan too,  this worries me.   I'm worried we're not getting what I think we thought we're getting.    I'm worried Pep is not ready to be an NFL OC just yet. 

This is not about my ego.   I'll be very happy if a year from now people are telling me how wrong I was.   I'll be very happy.  If Pep is a very good OC I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.    I ***WANT*** to be wrong about Pep.    I think he's a good guy and I want him to succeed.    But he's going to have to show me what he can do on this level.    A much higher level than college football when Andrew Luck is the best player on the field by light years.      That's not the way of things on the NFL level, where there are lots of great players.   Luck isn't Peyton Manning yet. 

Pep Hamilton can make or break our season.    Clearly I want him to do great.    But, he's got to show me.... 

Really, no need to be so formal. I understand and I respect that, but if you know this, and have those genuine concerns, I'd be very surprised if Grigson and Pagano and their other batch of advisors don't know that as well. So I'm sure they will work with Pep, and perhaps they can improve his planning and game calling and perhaps he brings home the bacon.

And perhaps he'll stink it up and be fired by Thanksgiving.....

I enjoy your contribution on here a lot, I just thought you were freaking out a bit too much in your initial post.....'tis all.

Flash....

Sorry about the journalistic tone of my post.   But, I can't do much about that.   I was a journalist for 30 years.   That's how I write. 

For better or worse, I think that's how most of my posts are.   I know a few people that are not fans of my writing style.   I know a few that are.    To each their own, I guess.    I'm just trying to share my thoughts and views with my new Colts family and let people react as they see fit....

Hope that clarifies....

I fall into writing mode sometimes...don't feel bad.  It is easy to do.  No need to apologize here....

I think it is fun to see different forms of writing here....and your proximity to the Stanford Cardinal and insights do help...

I am just too  :cuss: nice for my own good today.....: :GoodBad:

I love it when someone compounds a bad comment with a worse one.

Please tell me what Manning running the pistol offense has anything to do with Luck? Clearly Luck's skillset is infinitely better to use that offense.

You think Kaepernick is a gimmick?

Luck's skill set is passing the ball. We all saw it this season. Anything else is water under the bridge.

Yes, I do think Kaepernick is a gimmick. I predict he will have a huge "sophomore slump" (yes i know he's not a sophomore) now that teams have a chance to actually break down and analyze his NFL film.

Neither is a heavy formation with three tight ends, one back and one receiver, but if you run play action off of it, you can make some things happen.

I don't understand this objection to a formation or a even a play design that can be effective. No one is suggesting we become a Big Ten style offense. But if we can use some different formations effectively, why not work them in?

Because some of the suggestions he threw out were proven NFL failures. Take the Wildcat for example.

Also I'd much rather have the 3 TE set. We have two great "WR/TE" combos. I don't see this kind of production out of the Pistol.

Flash....

Hope that clarifies....

NCF, no need to apologize and I definitely did not intend to critique your writing style. I appreciate your contribution to the forum and I look forward to reading your posts. In this instance, I was able to catch on to what BraveHeart Colt was inferring with his response to your initial post.

Now, let's get back on topic.

Pep Hamilton, anyone?

Others have responded, but I will just reiterate that the Pistol does not have to mean option. It can be very effective as a passing formation or a non-option rushing formation. Luck is way more athletic than PM ever was. He essentially has the same athleticism, if combine performance is a good indicator of athleticism  as Cam. Point is, the Pistol does not mean that Luck will be RGIII. I'd love for Pep to look at how the Seahawks utilized Wilson this year and mimic some of that with Luck (Wilson was primarily a passer first).

The Seahawks have a top 5 RB.

Just saying...

The Pistol is a run first offensive scheme. It would a monumental waste of talent to have Luck as your QB on a run first team. Just look at Joe Flacco. Look at what he did when he was on a run first team. Then look at this year when they cut him loose. It's not a coincidence that they won the Superbowl.

It may very well be that people are taking what Pep said in the presser a little too seriously. If he says he's open to running the wildcat and the pistol, we don't necessarily know that he means it. As of right now, we don't know what type of offense the Colts will run, and how much it may resemble the Stanford or the Niner's offense.

It's to Pep's benefit to put as much misinformation out there to keep everyone guessing. Let's go with what we know:

1. Luck liked Arian's offense.

2. Luck likes Pep's offense.

3. Luck would like to fuse the two offenses together, as he stated earlier.

This sounds to me like a deep-attacking WCO, like the Chargers had under Norv Turner--which fused WCO and deeper routes.

It may very well be that people are taking what Pep said in the presser a little too seriously. If he says he's open to running the wildcat and the pistol, we don't necessarily know that he means it. As of right now, we don't know what type of offense the Colts will run, and how much it may resemble the Stanford or the Niner's offense.

It's to Pep's benefit to put as much misinformation out there to keep everyone guessing. Let's go with what we know:

1. Luck liked Arian's offense.

2. Luck likes Pep's offense.

3. Luck would like to fuse the two offenses together, as he stated earlier.

This sounds to me like a deep-attacking WCO, like the Chargers had under Norv Turner--which fused WCO and deeper routes.

I hope your right, but if that is the case why the smoke and mirrors? No one is seriously preparing for your offense based on a presser, so why not just come out and say it like it is.

Mameluc......you will still see deep passes....more than likely it will come from more play action.....you addiction will still be satisified, Sir.   :thmup:

which is probably for the better considering the abuse Luck was taking... its just fun man, i love the deep pass and see ty flying all over the place

Because some of the suggestions he threw out were proven NFL failures. Take the Wildcat for example.

Also I'd much rather have the 3 TE set. We have two great "WR/TE" combos. I don't see this kind of production out of the Pistol.

Wildcat is much different than the pistol or the read option. And the wildcat is not a failure, it just can't be a staple of your offensive attack. Especially if your quarterback isn't a legitimate threat in the passing game.

Pistol is just a formation, one that helped several pro teams run the ball more effectively this past season, and it helped them set up high percentage passes off of play action. Read option or zone read is just a play, or a play design, that allows the quarterback to hand off, pass or run, depending on the defense.

If you have a preference for a heavy set, that's fine. I might agree, actually. But the point was that it's just a formation / personnel package. It's not ideal to pass out of, but you can pass out of it effectively. It has it's advantages and its shortcomings. Same for the piston. I think people are far too dismissive of the pistol and the read option just because they have a predisposition against running quarterbacks. And there's nothing about the pistol or the read option that requires your quarterback to run the football, nor does it sacrifice his ability to throw the ball from the pocket.

There was an article a couple weeks back about how much more productive the Redskins and Seahawks were in the red zone and with points per possession. I firmly believe Luck is a more talented passer than both Griffin and Wilson (neither of them are slouches). If we use some of the concepts their teams used, and it increases Luck's efficiency and leads to more points, that's a good thing. Hamilton isn't going to turn Luck into Tebow. But he's also not going to ask him to be Peyton Manning.

No wild cat. Don't take our best player off the field (Luck). I don't think Pep will do that anyways. He knows this.

Also, sad thing about this is I bet he doesn't last long if he has success here (very likely) he'll be a head coach possibility in the near future for some other NFL team.

Do you realize that Luck's rushing touchdown against the Packers was essentially a wildcat play?

which is probably for the better considering the abuse Luck was taking... its just fun man, i love the deep pass and see ty flying all over the place

Remember also that with the WCO, TY should get the ball in some open spaces underneath....we will get to see him catch and run too...and hopefully Fleener will become the threat many believe he can.  Allen will continue to develop as well.  

The two and 3 step drops will save Andrew as well....so will some new Offensive Lineman :)

I hope your right, but if that is the case why the smoke and mirrors? No one is seriously preparing for your offense based on a presser, so why not just come out and say it like it is.

I would like to have a base offense that highlights Luck's passing abilities, and I think that you would also. This is why I think our new offense may resemble a WCO with some deeper routes, because Luck has been the key to our recent success.

I may be wrong. Stanford did run the read-option at times with Kevin Hogan. So Pep does have experience running this style of offense. They did ask Hogan to run quite a bit this year and they saw some positive results. But with Luck at Stanford, he was primarily used as a passing QB. It really could go either way. I am positive, however, that we will not use the Pistol or read option as a staple of our offense. It may be used sparingly, if at all.

Wildcat is much different than the pistol or the read option. And the wildcat is not a failure, it just can't be a staple of your offensive attack. Especially if your quarterback isn't a legitimate threat in the passing game.

Pistol is just a formation, one that helped several pro teams run the ball more effectively this past season, and it helped them set up high percentage passes off of play action. Read option or zone read is just a play, or a play design, that allows the quarterback to hand off, pass or run, depending on the defense.

If you have a preference for a heavy set, that's fine. I might agree, actually. But the point was that it's just a formation / personnel package. It's not ideal to pass out of, but you can pass out of it effectively. It has it's advantages and its shortcomings. Same for the piston. I think people are far too dismissive of the pistol and the read option just because they have a predisposition against running quarterbacks. And there's nothing about the pistol or the read option that requires your quarterback to run the football, nor does it sacrifice his ability to throw the ball from the pocket.

There was an article a couple weeks back about how much more productive the Redskins and Seahawks were in the red zone and with points per possession. I firmly believe Luck is a more talented passer than both Griffin and Wilson (neither of them are slouches). If we use some of the concepts their teams used, and it increases Luck's efficiency and leads to more points, that's a good thing. Hamilton isn't going to turn Luck into Tebow. But he's also not going to ask him to be Peyton Manning.

All of those teams have very strong OL's and very strong RB's,

I personally think they should ask him to be Aaron Rodgers, that is the WCO our offense should most resemble. We don't have the running game and OL to run anything even close to the teams you ran, and even if we did, we'd be taking our QB, a proven passer and limiting his passes severely in favor of the run,  I don't want to see luck pass the ball 15 times in a game. He needs at least 30-35 passes per game or your just hurting yourselves.

The Seahawks have a top 5 RB.

Just saying...

The Pistol is a run first offensive scheme. It would a monumental waste of talent to have Luck as your QB on a run first team. Just look at Joe Flacco. Look at what he did when he was on a run first team. Then look at this year when they cut him loose. It's not a coincidence that they won the Superbowl.

The pistol is NOT a scheme. It's simply a formation.

The real objective is to give the quarterback the ability to read the defense better, but also give the running back a better start from which to carry the football. It's a fusion of a pro style formation with a spread style formation, a marriage of shotgun with I formation. You can do whatever you want out of it. It doesn't have to be run heavy.

Really, no need to be so formal. I understand and I respect that, but if you know this, and have those genuine concerns, I'd be very surprised if Grigson and Pagano and their other batch of advisors don't know that as well. So I'm sure they will work with Pep, and perhaps they can improve his planning and game calling and perhaps he brings home the bacon.

And perhaps he'll stink it up and be fired by Thanksgiving.....

I enjoy your contribution on here a lot, I just thought you were freaking out a bit too much in your initial post.....'tis all.

I don't mean to over-state the Pep case....   I don't think he'll be terrible.   My concern is that he'll be OK to pretty good.

I want to be great...   or certainly very good.    And maybe he will be.    I could easily be wrong, and often am!

That's why I say I'm Missouri on Pep...   I'm willing to wait and see...   but he's got to show me....

That's all...

Maybe he's just throwing it out there is we are not going to run a 'label' offense? Throw it all at the wall, what sticks run the crap out of it. I kinda of like the new fresh perspective. Lets just hope it works!

We are going to integrate all the tools that Luck has, and it will become HIS offense.  As stated above, there were great things in the Arians offense that can be incorporated....and whether we like to admit it or not....there WILL be designed runs.

In addition, there will be designed roll outs as well as true 'bootlegs.'  I see some pretty exciting stuff here whether Pep and Luck 'script' the first 30 plays of a game...or go no huddle.  I am pretty excited if folks cannot tell!  I know that NEVER happens  :highfive:  :thmsup:  :thmup:

The pistol is NOT a scheme. It's simply a formation.

The real objective is to give the quarterback the ability to read the defense better, but also give the running back a better start from which to carry the football. It's a fusion of a pro style formation with a spread style formation, a marriage of shotgun with I formation. You can do whatever you want out of it. It doesn't have to be run heavy.

I'm not sold that that formation is a viable passing formation. It is a heavy run formation, that can occasionally open up the PAP.

I personally think they should ask him to be Aaron Rodgers, that is the WCO our offense should most resemble. We don't have the running game and OL to run anything even close to the teams you ran, and even if we did, we'd be taking our QB, a proven passer and limiting his passes severely in favor of the run,  I don't want to see luck pass the ball 15 times in a game. He needs at least 30-35 passes per game or your just hurting yourselves.

I think it goes without saying that we need to improve at offensive line. And I don't see much difference between Alfred Morris and Vick Ballard. Their measurables are virtually identical. If we improve our offensive line and can rely on the run more, it increases Luck's efficiency.

I don't know where you get the impression that anyone wants to limit Luck. Russell Wilson averaged 25 attempts a game. Griffin averaged 26 attempts a game. Where do you get 15 attempts a game from?

We should emulate the Packers attack, but it would be great if we were more effective at running the football than the Packers have been for the past few years.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

2012:

Luck averaged 39.19 ATT  per game

Peyton averaged 36.44 ATT per game

Wilson  Averaged 24.56 ATT per game

RGIII  Averaged 24.56 ATT per game

Rodgers Averaged 34.5 ATT per game

Luck needs to be in that 35 ATT per game range.

I think it goes without saying that we need to improve at offensive line. And I don't see much difference between Alfred Morris and Vick Ballard. Their measurables are virtually identical. If we improve our offensive line and can rely on the run more, it increases Luck's efficiency.

I don't know where you get the impression that anyone wants to limit Luck. Russell Wilson averaged 25 attempts a game. Griffin averaged 26 attempts a game. Where do you get 15 attempts a game from?

We should emulate the Packers attack, but it would be great if we were more effective at running the football than the Packers have been for the past few years.

See above post,

25 attempts per game is NOT acceptable.

I'm not sold that that formation is a viable passing formation. It is a heavy run formation, that can occasionally open up the PAP.

Do you think there's something about the pistol formation that makes it harder to throw effectively? With respect to the passing game, what's the difference between the pistol and the traditional shotgun?

http://www.nola.com/superbowl/index.ssf/2013/01/san_francisco_49ers_pistol_for.html

Do you think there's something about the pistol formation that makes it harder to throw effectively? With respect to the passing game, what's the difference between the pistol and the traditional shotgun?

http://www.nola.com/superbowl/index.ssf/2013/01/san_francisco_49ers_pistol_for.html

What is right about this from a passing perspective?

0ap1000000106880.jpg

See above post,

25 attempts per game is NOT acceptable.

Those offenses were more efficient and scored more points than ours. I'd trade ten attempts per game in the name of 3-5 points per game.

But I'm not suggesting (and neither is Hamilton) that Luck's attempts be limited in any way. He's merely suggesting some additional wrinkles to our offensive attack that can help the team score more points. You're arguing against a straw man, and I'm taking the bait.

Those offenses were more efficient and scored more points than ours. I'd trade ten attempts per game in the name of 3-5 points per game.

But I'm not suggesting (and neither is Hamilton) that Luck's attempts be limited in any way. He's merely suggesting some additional wrinkles to our offensive attack that can help the team score more points. You're arguing against a straw man, and I'm taking the bait.

They score more points than our offense, sure, did they score more than GB or Denver? Nope.

How do you know what Pep is implying? Everything I have seen him say points to some silly run first offensive scheme.

Of course we don't know that for sure, and only time will tell, but his enthusiasm and specific mention of numerous run first formations has me on edge.

I like him. He seems like an even keeled coach. What I don't like is I get a sense he wants to fix the O-line from inside the organization and to me that is unacceptable.

I also don't mind not being a labeled offense. If we run the pistol at times, WCO at others, and the Norv Turner offense at times as well I'd be fine. Whatever works. The W is all that matters in this league.

Welllll you can't say, "Hey guys I plan on firing everyone. Just give me a week or two...."