Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Pep Hamilton interview

Marcio James

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to integrate all the tools that Luck has, and it will become HIS offense. As stated above, there were great things in the Arians offense that can be incorporated....and whether we like to admit it or not....there WILL be designed runs.

In addition, there will be designed roll outs as well as true 'bootlegs.' I see some pretty exciting stuff here whether Pep and Luck 'script' the first 30 plays of a game...or go no huddle. I am pretty excited if folks cannot tell! I know that NEVER happens :highfive: :thmsup: :thmup:

I agree! I think Luck being the X factor in all of this being able to voice his opinion is huge. Likes/dislikes...most of all I think he will have more freedom to run no huddle or audible at the line. Luck is a brain, that is one of his biggest assets. I don't think he was ready nor did Arians give him that freedom. As manning grew with Moore. Hopefully Luck will grow with pep.

3 WR vs 2? and also that was pre-season.

Preseason doesn't matter.

And the point is that you can throw just as easily out of the pistol alignment as you can out of the shotgun. Replace that extra tight end with a receiver and it's the same personnel, and that has nothing to do with where the running back is standing.

I agree! I think Luck being the X factor in all of this being able to voice his opinion is huge. Likes/dislikes...most of all I think he will have more freedom to run no huddle or audible at the line. Luck is a brain, that is one of his biggest assets. I don't think he was ready nor did Arians give him that freedom. As manning grew with Moore. Hopefully Luck will grow with pep.

I think the comfort level will be there with Hamilton.  Arians is old school tough.  I am sure some of BA was not California 'cool.'

Coming of of a great year.....then gaining even more of a comfort level with a re-visit to the WCO....PRICELESS in my observation NewEra!!  

It's just a formation. It doesn't necessarily limit your ability to throw the football. Labeling it a run first formation is a misnomer.

I respectfully disagree. It is a run first formation, I'm not saying you can't pass out of the formation, but the reality is that the 1st option is to run.

I respectfully disagree. It is a run first formation, I'm not saying you can't pass out of the formation, but the reality is that the 1st option is to run.

In terms of numbers, it is a run first formation. In other words, teams predominantly run out of the pistol.

In terms of function, there is nothing about the formation that limits your ability to pass the ball. A team could just as easily pass 10 times out of 10 from the pistol.

You inferring that our use of this formation would restrict Luck's passing attempts is completely inaccurate. Any use of this formation has practically zero correlation to how frequently we throw the ball.

In terms of numbers, it is a run first formation. In other words, teams predominantly run out of the pistol.

In terms of function, there is nothing about the formation that limits your ability to pass the ball. A team could just as easily pass 10 times out of 10 from the pistol.

You inferring that our use of this formation would restrict Luck's passing attempts is completely inaccurate. Any use of this formation has practically zero correlation to how frequently we throw the ball.

Ok, so throw in an OC that comes from a run first team, and then tell me the odds that we pass 10/10 from the pistol.

I'm not basing the restrictions on Luck's pass attempts solely on the pistol. I'm basing it on the pistol, the wildcat, and the read-option, combined with an offensive coordinator that obviously wants to run a power running game.

I think that the common misconception here is that Luck is going to roll down Manning's path, take control of the offense, and run his own show.

That is far from a guarantee. Just look at Joe Flacco, his situation screams the exact opposite of what happened to Manning, Flacco got stuck behind an offensive coordinator that was committed to giving ray rice the rock and limiting Flacco's opportunities. Now look at him, champion of the world.

I feel like I'm being ostracized because I am not buying into the whole "Luck will run the show" deal just yet. I do think he can be as good or better than Manning, but to hear all this talk from the new OC, who obviously wants to lay his mark on the world, is making me nervous.

Ok, so throw in an OC that comes from a run first team, and then tell me the odds that we pass 10/10 from the pistol.

I'm not basing the restrictions on Luck's pass attempts solely on the pistol. I'm basing it on the pistol, the wildcat, and the read-option, combined with an offensive coordinator that obviously wants to run a power running game.

Again, I think you're arguing against a straw man. No one has said anything about limiting Luck's passing attempts, and certainly not by more than half to 15 attempts per game, as you stated above.

I think Hamilton wants an offense that can run the ball effectively, and is willing to do some things schematically to help it along. If he doesn't understand the kind of weapon he has in Andrew Luck, then that will be made obvious over the course of the season, and I'd hope we'd move on. But if we can run the ball better, it takes pressure off of Luck, and it makes our offense more efficient.

Again, I think you're arguing against a straw man. No one has said anything about limiting Luck's passing attempts, and certainly not by more than half to 15 attempts per game, as you stated above.

I think Hamilton wants an offense that can run the ball effectively, and is willing to do some things schematically to help it along. If he doesn't understand the kind of weapon he has in Andrew Luck, then that will be made obvious over the course of the season, and I'd hope we'd move on. But if we can run the ball better, it takes pressure off of Luck, and it makes our offense more efficient.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but looking at the teams that run the Pistol, Wildcat, Read-option combo, their QB's have an avg pass attempt per game of 25.

Luck was 39 last season, he needs to get down closer to 35. So a drop to 25 would be almost 15 less pass attempts per game.

Maybe we don't go down that road, but I'm not going to ignore the warning signs.

I think Luck can run the option and wildcat. He's big strong, fast, and can break tackles. Does that mean I'd want to see him run them, no. I'd be too worried about injuries. I'd prefer to see us run more bootlegs, rollouts and screens. Also, some hard earned first downs or a run with a wide open lane.

These guys know a lot more than I do so unless they go ballistic with the option or WC, I'll support what they do.

I think that the common misconception here is that Luck is going to roll down Manning's path, take control of the offense, and run his own show.

That is far from a guarantee. Just look at Joe Flacco, his situation screams the exact opposite of what happened to Manning, Flacco got stuck behind an offensive coordinator that was committed to giving ray rice the rock and limiting Flacco's opportunities. Now look at him, champion of the world.

I feel like I'm being ostracized because I am not buying into the whole "Luck will run the show" deal just yet. I do think he can be as good or better than Manning, but to hear all this talk from the new OC, who obviously wants to lay his mark on the world, is making me nervous.

Like you, I'm not sold that Luck is going to take control of the offense like Manning did. I'm not sure I even want him to.

But I don't think you're being ostracized, not in this thread. I think you have some misconceptions -- common, for the most part -- about some of the offensive ideas Hamilton talked about. I think you heard some code words and projected your trepidation onto what Hamilton said. And I think you missed the point. JMO.

I'm also not sold on Hamilton as offensive coordinator. I said that when he was hired. But I do like his comments today. He basically said he'd try to do exactly what I hoped we'd do if Arians left: combine the principals of the WCO with the Coryell offense, and run a hybrid system that is basically a Frankenstein of all the productive things that other teams in the NFL do. We all understand the benefit of having a reliable running game, and he mentioned how important that is to him. He said he'll play to the strengths of his personnel. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but what I have seen and read is right on point.

Like you, I'm not sold that Luck is going to take control of the offense like Manning did. I'm not sure I even want him to.

But I don't think you're being ostracized, not in this thread. I think you have some misconceptions -- common, for the most part -- about some of the offensive ideas Hamilton talked about. I think you heard some code words and projected your trepidation onto what Hamilton said. And I think you missed the point. JMO.

I'm also not sold on Hamilton as offensive coordinator. I said that when he was hired. But I do like his comments today. He basically said he'd try to do exactly what I hoped we'd do if Arians left: combine the principals of the WCO with the Coryell offense, and run a hybrid system that is basically a Frankenstein of all the productive things that other teams in the NFL do. We all understand the benefit of having a reliable running game, and he mentioned how important that is to him. He said he'll play to the strengths of his personnel. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but what I have seen and read is right on point.

Well I didn't watch the video just yet, but maybe I should.

I'm still not keen on his ideas of adding in parts of the offense where Luck runs with the ball, and I can't imagine Pagano, Grigson, or Irsay is on board with that either.

I really just don't want this offense to turn into one of the gimmicks sweeping the NFL by storm. Luck should continue to be a pocket passer, and should continue to have opportunities with the long ball, along with having the bootleg, screen game, and intermediate routes as well, passing for around 35 times a game.

As long as what I have outlined above is in place I'll be happy.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but looking at the teams that run the Pistol, Wildcat, Read-option combo, their QB's have an avg pass attempt per game of 25.

Luck was 39 last season, he needs to get down closer to 35. So a drop to 25 would be almost 15 less pass attempts per game.

Maybe we don't go down that road, but I'm not going to ignore the warning signs.

I think one of the most offensively balanced games we played all year was the season finale against the Texans. Luck threw the ball 28 times. One of the worst games we played was against the Chiefs the previous week, and Luck threw the ball 35 times.

I don't think there's a clear correlation between pass attempts per game and effective, efficient offense. I do think we'd hit a sweet spot anywhere around 30-35 pass attempts per game, but I'm not worried about Hamilton's ideas on offense radically skewing the pass attempts Luck winds up with.

A much more valid correlation is between the score differential and pass attempts.

How many points did Luck average while running Pep's offense????

Unless my math is way off it appears that Peps offense while being led by Luck averaged approximately 42.6 points per game...

I trust they will again score points working together in the NFL, especially with familiar faces Fleener, & Whalen...

Wildcat, pistol formation, to-ma-to, toe-mae-toe...

Luck will throw the ball to wideouts & backs will run the ball...

"All we do is throw deep outs that take a long time to develop....Arians is going to get Luck killed! We need to get someone in here who can call some short, chain moving outs."

"What, Pep Hamilton? Aughhhhhh!"

"Now we going to run the read option Pistol? Auuuugh!"

Lol......

Just a hunch but you like one of those people that would prefer it if Luck threw the ball till his arm fell off regardless if he landed in the hospital do to the majority of our O Linemen being....well...Ill just use the word.... outmatched for lack of several other words I could use

Luck in, D plays pass. Harnish in, D plays run. Hmmmm...

I don't agree with running the wildcat, but if we were, defenses wouldn't be able to "just play the run". Harnish is a QB after all which must mean he's able to effectively throw the ball. It would open up the offense to more trick plays IMO.

I was a little worried when I hear WCO, and run the ball more being thrown out there, but it sounds like to me that Pep is willing to customize this offense to his personnel, and he is going to use a wide range of different offense styles to take advantage of mismatches... those are both buzz phrases used to describe some of the best offenses in the league. Sounds much better than WCO, run run run to me... but that's just my opinion...

He won't get enough 1st team reps to improve his moderate passing skills. And if he does, I question what coaching staff is doing with Andrew Lucks reps of a new playbook that he needs with his fellow sophomore RB, TE's, and WR's....

Why would he need first team reps for? He'd only thrown 3-4 times a season.

Just a hunch but you like one of those people that would prefer it if Luck threw the ball till his arm fell off regardless if he landed in the hospital do to the majority of our O Linemen being....well...Ill just use the word.... outmatched for lack of several other words I could use

I don't see Aaron Rodgers arm falling off. I want similar attempts.

I don't know where you draw your conclusion from, but I'm just saying I don't want him to be limited to 25 attempts per game. He needs IMHO 33-35 per game.

Honestly, I think part of the reason -- perhaps even the MAIN reason -- for Pep to be talking about the Wildcat and the Pistol is primarily to give opposing DC's something to think about and prepare for.

There are only so many hours you can prepare for an opponent.   And every bit of time you spend preparing for the pistol or wildcat is minutes/hours that you're not spending on the opponents base offense.

And that's smart.    So, I'm giving props to Pep on that level....

I don't see Aaron Rodgers arm falling off. I want similar attempts.

I don't know where you draw your conclusion from, but I'm just saying I don't want him to be limited to 25 attempts per game. He needs IMHO 33-35 per game.

33-35 I agree with if were going by the average amount of offensive snaps per game is 62 with would bring it to 35 pass 27 run or 33 pass 29 run. either would be good on average, there will be instances where we need to run more as well as pass more depending on the situation, overall I agree, I certainly dont want Luck chucking the ball 41-42 times per game all in the name of trying to force a big play to happen though

Just wanted to throw this out there.

2012:

Luck averaged 39.19 ATT per game

Peyton averaged 36.44 ATT per game

Wilson Averaged 24.56 ATT per game

RGIII Averaged 24.56 ATT per game

Rodgers Averaged 34.5 ATT per game

Luck needs to be in that 35 ATT per game range.

why? Wilson almost got to the SB with 10 pass pllayes less...

its about being effective and what each game rquires not a count

Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees are great. A little pass happy because their running games are too weak.

Kinda hard on the D too if you can`t grind some time. Simple. Fundamental.

Pagano pronounced when he got hired he wanted a good running game. He and Pep Agree.

You run a couple wildcat plays in pre-season along with a few read option plays and you burn some of your opponents practice time.

SOP for many teams going forward.

Can you imagine worrying about this stuff before we have played 3-4 regular season games.

They will ALL learn as a Unit and AGAIN, it will be MORE about Year Two. PEP gets time to learn on the job, and not alone.