Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sharpe has harsh words for Belichick

GoColts8818

Right before CBS went off the air tonight Sharpe went after Belichick for refusing to do the post game interview.

Sharpe said Belichick "can not be a sore sport all the time" which is rather harsh language.  He went on to say Belichick does this all the time when loses and that it is unacceptable. 

This is a problem I have when people call the Pats the classiest organization in the NFL.  The classy thing to do when you lose as hard as it is to do is to do the interview.  With that said credit to Devin McCourty fo being willing to go out and do the interview after the game. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/20/bill-belichick-snubbed-cbs-after-patriots-loss/1850533/

There is a good write up of it for those who did not see it. 

Right before CBS went off the air tonight Sharpe went after Belichick for refusing to do the post game interview.

Sharpe said Belichick "can not be a sore sport all the time" which is rather harsh language. He went on to say Belichick does this all the time when loses and that it is unacceptable.

This is a problem I have when people call the Pats the classiest organization in the NFL. The classy thing to do when you lose as hard as it is to do is to do the interview. With that said credit to Devin McCourty fo being willing to go out and do the interview after the game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/20/bill-belichick-snubbed-cbs-after-patriots-loss/1850533/

There is a good write up of it for those who did not see it.

There is no doubt they are much "classier" winners, than losers.

Meh...Shannon Sharpe talks too much anyway.  And Belichick puts the team first.  He probably wanted to go talk to the guys.  It was almost certainly a longer talk than he would normally give after a game since their season is over and he puts them first, so he probably rejected the request for an interview so he could talk with the team.

Meh...Shannon Sharpe talks too much anyway.  And Belichick puts the team first.  He probably wanted to go talk to the guys.  It was almost certainly a longer talk than he would normally give after a game since their season is over and he puts them first, so he probably rejected the request for an interview so he could talk with the team.

I'd almost buy part of that if the Pats hadn't sent a player out to do the interview in his place...

He didn't want to do the interview that's all there is too it. 

Even in BB's press conference, it was a monotone slurring speech that had 2 word answers.

Sore losers. Take the loss like a man and move on. Your life isn't over.

BB is always like that 2 word answers. his press conferences are as entertaining as watching twilight

Good for Shannon.  This is a big reason why I don't like the Patriots.  Sore losers and run the score up type winners.  They have one of the classiest owners in the league and in my opinion, Bellicheck does that man a great disservice by behaving the way he does after losses.  Oh well it's par for the course for that team.  It would be more newsworthy if Bellicheck actually handled a playoff loss with a semblance of grace.   

You never know his situation.  Maybe he wanted to talk to specific guys, people in their contract years, rookies, the other coaches, Kraft, anyone.  Belichick is a classy guy.

That's why he walked off the field in a Super Bowl before it was over when the Giants beat him?  Remember handshake gate with Mangini?  This isn't the first time Belichick has been a poor sport after a hard loss. 

Kraft I will give all the credit in the world for being a class act.  Heck even most of the Pats players I'll give credit for being stand up guys including Brady.  Belichick not so much. 

Before going to the interview with the player CBS said Belichick had declined to the do the interview.  Again, he didn't want to do it.  No one wants to do the hard interview after a loss like this but it comes with the job.  The coaches know about this a head of time and 99.9% of the time you see them not do it.  Harbaugh didn't do it after the 49ers lost last year and got called on the carpet for it now Belichick is facing the samething.

Had this been a one time thing people would have chalked it up to just being upset that his team lost and let it go like they did with Harbaugh last year but there is a clear pattern of behavior here when Belichick loses.  He is a bit of a sore loser. 

That's why he walked off the field in a Super Bowl before it was over when the Giants beat him? Remember handshake gate with Mangini? This isn't the first time Belichick has been a poor sport after a hard loss.

Kraft I will give all the credit in the world for being a class act. Heck even most of the Pats players I'll give credit for being stand up guys including Brady. Belichick not so much.

Before going to the interview with the player CBS said Belichick had declined to the do the interview. Again, he didn't want to do it. No one wants to do the hard interview after a loss like this but it comes with the job. The coaches know about this a head of time and 99.9% of the time you see them not do it. Harbaugh didn't do it after the 49ers lost last year and got called on the carpet for it now Belichick is facing the samething.

Had this been a one time thing people would have chalked it up to just being upset that his team lost and let it go like they did with Harbaugh last year but there is a clear pattern of behavior here when Belichick loses. He is a bit of a sore loser.

Completely agree. He is a sore loser. I dont know how anyone could defend him as being classy. He's a great coach, maybe the best, but not classy by any stretch.

This is a problem I have when people call the Pats the classiest organization in the NFL.

I've heard Pats fans toss this "classy" word around a lot. Ironically, in the Pats 2007 perfect regular season alone, they had a HUGE number of personal issues:

1.) Rodney Harrison mocked then Ravens head coach, Brian Billick, on the sidelines.

2.) Brady mentioned we're not trying to win, we're trying to kill people. We're trying to blow them out if we can.

http://besteversportstalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/tom-brady-were-trying-to-kill-teams.html

3.) Vince Wilfolk tries to poke an opposing player in the eye after a play.

4.) Brady doesn't shake Eli's hand before the Superbowl game. Make of it what you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otpt3QZlq8

5.) Spygate. 'Nuff said.

6.) Bill Belichick prematurely leaves the field after his team's Superbowl loss. Granted, the loss was already decided, but as the head coach, why be the first to leave? Just like the captain of a ship, the head coach shouldn't be the first to leave his crew.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-belichick-early-exit-field-media-talk-article-1.308835

Then in a separate season, there's the issue of cutting Underwood the day before the Superbowl despite him having gotten a haircut with the Pats logo in his head. They gave his agent no advanced warning of this, and Underwood never has gotten the chance to play in a Superbowl. Shame on the Pats. People joked this would be a bad omen, and sure enough, it was. The Pats lost.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1053812-tiquan-underwood-the-man-the-new-england-patriots-cut

The Patriots aren't classy.  They're disrespectful to their players (ex. Underwood), use respected veterans as trade bait (ex. Bruschi, Vrabel), Belichick always acts disgruntled. It's easy to see why they are the most hated team in the league.

You never know his situation.  Maybe he wanted to talk to specific guys, people in their contract years, rookies, the other coaches, Kraft, anyone.  Belichick is a classy guy.

Don't quit your day job to become a defense attorney.

Ask a heavyweight boxer champion who just lost a title bout if he wants to talk about losing a match he was favored in, ask a aging basketball star in the finals if he wants to have a heart warming chat with the media after a crushing loss, ask a football coach if he wants to be asked over & over again why did you lose? Do you regret this decision or that decision? What would you change & why?

Belichick did do a press conference after the game. He didn't completely shun his media obligations. Does anyone ever remember what a losing coach says outside the locker room? Absolutely not. Does Canton Ohio keep a video log of all Championship Game or SB losers on digital film for preservation & posterity for subsequent generations of football fans? Nope.

Is it a violation of decency & protocol? I'd be curious to see what the Collective Bargaining Agreement says about players & coaches & their mandates for speaking with the media. Is it a universal contract clause among the league or can it be loosely or strictly interpreted by every NFL franchise? Can a player or coach be heavily fined for refusing to speak to the media about the outcome of a game? And, if so, how much? Is there an appeals process too?

I don't put much stock in this link: "Brady mentioned we're not trying to win, we're trying to kill people. We're trying to blow them out if we can." http://besteversport...kill-teams.html

You can't have it both ways. Cite an article that promotes the Patriots approach for humiliating their opponents & then get royally ticked off when the media is denied the opportunity to humiliate them or rather the fans who hate this team can take glee in their playoff dismantling. It's bordering on hypocritical behavior. Do people have a right to gloat & be giddy? Sure, but you're sending a mixed message of distortion here.

Peyton Manning has chosen not to speak to the media after he defeats his brother Eli in a football game & no one ever scolds Peyton for not fulfilling his media obligations. Let's be fair here.

Choosing not to speak to the media immediately following a Playoff loss is not disrespectful. It just means that you are still digesting the loss, are extremely angry, & don't want to say anything inflammatory that might be misinterpreted as you leave the field that's all. "When you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I can attest to that fact right after the Broncos lost to the Ravens.

Exactly, 21isSuperman!  Shannon Sharpe sure loved to flap his gums as a player. Some things never change even when a person transitions from HOF TE to CBS Football analyst. HA! HA! 

I have no problem with what Patriots HC Bill Belichick did personally. I highly doubt that Roger Goodell will fine him at all. Again, he held a press conference afterward & answered their questions. Just because he didn't do it quick enough to some peoples liking is a lame, illogical excuse to me. There is no controversy here or special treatment whatsoever IMO. 

Complaining that HC Belichick doesn't speak to the media immediately following the conclusion of a game on the field is like refusing to pay for a prime rib dinner in a fancy restaurant simply because the delicious meal didn't get set on your table in 10 minutes.

You can do it, but the vast majority of people will look at you with a bizarre expression on their face. Plus, when the cops show up for your failure to pay the bill for the food provided, they will have a funny story to tell their captain at the police station after they arrest you. Everybody wins!

I cannot help it........whenever someone in the media whines like that, I feel happy

Doesn't bother me that BB did not talk to the media.  And anyway, I don't think his words would have helped his fan base.........which if I were him would be the only thing I'd care about

He is not a very inspiring guy to listen to......and I'm sure he knows that

Completely disagree on this.  I think he is a great coach and does some good things for charities but to say he is classy, no not when he pulls some of the other stuff he pulls.

Didn't stick around for the end and like many don't really care about the post game interviews.  Not much a losing coach or player wants to say and the same mundane/inane questions that are always asked.

The thing that really perturbed me was before the game,  the National Anthem was being sung,  and Brady is walking around the sidelines putting his hands in and out of his warmer and not even paying attention.

IMO I don't expect BB to act like we all want him to...  that is kinda what I like about him.   Use to hate him and NE, but I have grow to respect them a lot.  

Water finds it's level...   It has to be getting very frustrating.  Brady and BB were once 10-0 in the playoffs....   now they are 17-7.  

Esp how they lost NE was very close to blowing that game wide open in the first half.    But they didn't get it done.   At least we can put all the BB/Brady GOAT talk to bed.    Now we can get ready for all the Colin Kap and Joe Flacco are greatest talk.

BB is dinosaur, not too many coaches like him left in this politically correct world.   I miss the Bob knights, Bill Parcells, Bear Bryants, Bo Schembechlers, Barry Switzers.

Guys like that take L's hard.   I can appreciate that, not everyone likes coming in 2nd in this world where Johnny, Tommy, and everyone in the tourney gets a trophy.

Now if John Wooden, Tom Osborne, Tom Landry, or Coach K  blew off a post game interview that might be disappointing. 

It's not like we would have gotten some prophetic wisdom from him anyway.    Guess I'm getting surly the older I get.

JMO>....  Not directed at anyone, or any singular post. 

Next season it will be INDY drinking Champagne and somebody else can be getting ripped for blowing off an interview.

Go Colts.

Well he has heard it a few times.....

;)

Didn't stick around for the end and like many don't really care about the post game interviews.  Not much a losing coach or player wants to say and the same mundane/inane questions that are always asked.

The thing that really perturbed me was before the game,  the National Anthem was being sung,  and Brady is walking around the sidelines putting his hands in and out of his warmer and not even paying attention.

WHAT??? Belichick is a whiny crybaby that don't have an ounce of class in his entire body. He has always been a sore loser. This can not even be denied, everybody knows it. Not that I don't respect the man for being one heck of a coach, but he is the epitome of classless, sore loser.

Few more examples of Pats / Bellycheck "class" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwDJ_7L8zi0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39lCwpJomw

I've heard Pats fans toss this "classy" word around a lot. Ironically, in the Pats 2007 perfect regular season alone, they had a HUGE number of personal issues:

1.) Rodney Harrison mocked then Ravens head coach, Brian Billick, on the sidelines.

2.) Brady mentioned we're not trying to win, we're trying to kill people. We're trying to blow them out if we can.

http://besteversportstalk.blogspot.com/2007/11/tom-brady-were-trying-to-kill-teams.html

3.) Vince Wilfolk tries to poke an opposing player in the eye after a play.

4.) Brady doesn't shake Eli's hand before the Superbowl game. Make of it what you will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otpt3QZlq8

5.) Spygate. 'Nuff said.

6.) Bill Belichick prematurely leaves the field after his team's Superbowl loss. Granted, the loss was already decided, but as the head coach, why be the first to leave? Just like the captain of a ship, the head coach shouldn't be the first to leave his crew.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-belichick-early-exit-field-media-talk-article-1.308835

Then in a separate season, there's the issue of cutting Underwood the day before the Superbowl despite him having gotten a haircut with the Pats logo in his head. They gave his agent no advanced warning of this, and Underwood never has gotten the chance to play in a Superbowl. Shame on the Pats. People joked this would be a bad omen, and sure enough, it was. The Pats lost.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1053812-tiquan-underwood-the-man-the-new-england-patriots-cut

The Patriots aren't classy.  They're disrespectful to their players (ex. Underwood), use respected veterans as trade bait (ex. Bruschi, Vrabel), Belichick always acts disgruntled. It's easy to see why they are the most hated team in the league.

Dan Patrick is clowning everyone for clowning BB....    

"how did everyone expect him to act?"     I totally agree...      He also wonders why Sharpe didn't call out Jim Harbaugh for not doing interviews...

Dungy on the Dan Patrick show on BB's interview blow off.

"

Dungy talked about Bill Belichick not doing an interview with CBS after the game. He said that Belichick did what he was required to do, and that doesn’t make him a poor loser. “He’s got quirky ways when he wins, too,” Dungy said.

Dungy said that Belichick was more gracious when the Patriots lost to the Colts then when they won. When they won, Belichick didn’t say much.

Here is the interview...

http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/01/21/tony-dungys-conference-title-game-analysis-early-super-bowl-pick/

To me this a big deal about nothing....

Well he has heard it a few times.....

;)

I am sure he has.  After 61 years I have also heard it a lot of times.  I still stand,  remove my hat, and place my hand over my heart and not talk during it.   Love the country and flag and honor  those that serve for our freedom and the many that have given their lives for this nation.   Sorry if his inattention bothers me, but that is just my opinion.

BB does not talked to the media win or loss, so not sure what the problem is . . . he is consistent both ways . . . its not like talks up a storm and acts like Pete Carrol when he wins and then hides when he looses . . . the only thing BB is concerned about is to shaking hands with the opposing coach and in last nights game he had to seek him out and spent some moments talking to Harbaugh which Harbaugh indicated in a presser his words we very kind . . . beyond that ignore the noise . . .

Dan Patrick is clowning everyone for clowning BB....

"how did everyone expect him to act?" I totally agree... He also wonders why Sharpe didn't call out Jim Harbaugh for not doing interviews...

Dungy on the Dan Patrick show on BB's interview blow off.

"

Dungy talked about Bill Belichick not doing an interview with CBS after the game. He said that Belichick did what he was required to do, and that doesn’t make him a poor loser. “He’s got quirky ways when he wins, too,” Dungy said.

Dungy said that Belichick was more gracious when the Patriots lost to the Colts then when they won. When they won, Belichick didn’t say much.

Here is the interview...

http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/01/21/tony-dungys-conference-title-game-analysis-early-super-bowl-pick/

To me this a big deal about nothing....

harbaugh didn't blow off the network Sharpe works for but I would agree it would be fair to call him out for not dong the post game interview after they lost last year too. If I recall I think Bradshaw made a comment similar but not as harshly worded as Sharpes was last year about Hatbaugh and Strahan brought it up again yesterday after Harbaugh didn't talk to them after they won.

Belichick has snubbed reporters for postgame interviews, been short and standoffish, and generally been a poor sport for a long time. Wins and losses. He stonewalled Solomon Wilcots after the 2006 AFCCG.

I don't think he's the devil. I don't particularly care for postgame interviews, but the teams are mandated to do them, and it's usually the coach. Belichick is actually a pretty thoughtful and, believe it or not, funny guy. He doesn't suffer fools, or foolish questions, and does nothing to try to hide his contempt for them. I wouldn't call him classy at all. But he's not as bad as people make him out to be, either.

The Patriots aren't classy.   Belichick always acts disgruntled. It's easy to see why they are the most hated team in the league.

I cannot help it........whenever someone in the media whines like that, I feel happy

Doesn't bother me that BB did not talk to the media.  And anyway, I don't think his words would have helped his fan base.........which if I were him would be the only thing I'd care about

He is not a very inspiring guy to listen to......and I'm sure he knows that

Use to hate him and NE, but I have grow to respect them a lot.  

BB is dinosaur, not too many coaches like him left in this politically correct world.   I miss the Bob knights, Bill Parcells, Bear Bryants, Bo Schembechlers, Barry Switzers.

It's not like we would have gotten some prophetic wisdom from him anyway.    Guess I'm getting surly the older I get.

#1: Bill Belichick is so disliked because he wins so much. Year in, year out. No matter who is on the field his team almost always goes to the Playoffs, #2: I used to hate his boring press conferences which tell you nothing, but now I admire the guy because he runs a tight ship, he never deals in rumors & speculation, & he learned from his experience in Cleveland that the press are your enemy not your friend. Sensationalism has no place in a locker room, #3: I love coaches who are not politically correct. Ask me a relevant football question or this press conference is over. Thank you. Belichick is a brilliant football mind. No playoff loss will change this fact. The media is too preoccupied with kissing caboose & being loved & adored. Go away media & come back to me when you have a legitimate problem okay. Grow up please. 

Belichick has snubbed reporters for postgame interviews, been short and standoffish, and generally been a poor sport for a long time. Wins and losses. He stonewalled Solomon Wilcots after the 2006 AFCCG.

I don't think he's the devil. I don't particularly care for postgame interviews, but the teams are mandated to do them, and it's usually the coach. Belichick is actually a pretty thoughtful and, believe it or not, funny guy. He doesn't suffer fools, or foolish questions, and does nothing to try to hide his contempt for them. I wouldn't call him classy at all. But he's not as bad as people make him out to be, either.

Exactly Superman! The Grey Hoodie is not the anti-Christ. He just has no time for mind numbing dribble. Naturally, not everyone in the media is obsessed with fame & popularity. There are some darn fine beat & investigative reporters out there. The only time I care about off the field issues is when it negatively affects your production on the field. Beyond that, who cares?

Privately, I have heard that Belichick is hilarious. He's probably sarcastic just like me. Genuine, dry sarcasm is never fully appreciated by the masses, but I digress...

Belichick is paid to win as many games as possible every season not hold hands & offer snacks & good will for the press. You may dislike his management style, but he's a proven winner & SB Champion...That's all Robert Kraft cares about & also why he pays Bill to win when the lights are the brightest.

#1: Bill Belichick is so disliked because he wins so much. Year in, year out. No matter who is on the field his team almost always goes to the Playoffs, #2: I used to hate his boring press conferences which tell you nothing, but now I admire the guy because he runs a tight ship, he never deals in rumors & speculation, & he learned from his experience in Cleveland that the press are your enemy not your friend. Sensationalism has no place in a locker room, #3: I love coaches who are not politically correct. Ask me a relevant football question or this press conference is over. Thank you. Belichick is a brilliant football mind. No playoff loss will change this fact. The media is too preoccupied with kissing caboose & being loved & adored. Go away media & come back to me when you have a legitimate problem okay. Grow up please.

I disagree.. Bill Walsh won a lot too as did Tom Landry.. They weren't nearly as disliked as bb is.

I disagree.. Bill Walsh won a lot too as did Tom Landry.. They weren't nearly as disliked as bb is.
I'd have to look at Bill Walsh's & Tom Landry's press conferences 1st & see what kind of rapport these of NFL coaches had with the media, especially when a reporter asked these HC's something that rubbed them the wrong way. Usually, the media hates it when a coach or player doesn't spoon feed them juicy material or forces them to get off their caboose, pound the pavement, engage in critical thinking, and find an answer to a question that is different than a pre conceived theory or thesis.

If a reporter looks at film & asks an insightful question about how Aaron Hernandez has been used in light of Rob Gronkowski's injury, Bill Belichick likes that & he will answer your question with surprising candor. Why? Because the reporter did their homework & they deserve to be rewarded for their time & attention to detail.

Look at the draft, every year Bill Belichick moves up & down the board getting the best picks for his team. Mike Mayock, from NFL Network, is a huge asset for NE in scouting talent. I can't prove this. Just a sneaking suspicion I have. Bill Belichick replenishes the Patriots well & he always cuts bait with veterans like Malloy, McGinest, Bledsoe, at just the right time. People just can't stand NE getting better & better stockpiling young talent every year. It drives every other franchise nuts. How the Hades does Bill Belichick keep doing this?!! Why can't we do that? Sigh....

Coaches aren't all that fond of Bill Belichick because he is so good at film study, which leads to wins & division titles, that the Patriots set the gold standard & bar for season expectations for a number of other football organizations too. Belichick defeating a lot of teams for a decade resulting in a number of HCs being fired & pushed out of the NFL toward the AML & CFL or lowly coordinators. There is some resentment for that.

Don't quit your day job to become a defense attorney.

I object, your honour!

Exactly, 21isSuperman!  Shannon Sharpe sure loved to flap his gums as a player. Some things never change even when a person transitions from HOF TE to CBS Football analyst. HA! HA! 

I have no problem with what Patriots HC Bill Belichick did personally. I highly doubt that Roger Goodell will fine him at all. Again, he held a press conference afterward & answered their questions. Just because he didn't do it quick enough to some peoples liking is a lame, illogical excuse to me. There is no controversy here or special treatment whatsoever IMO. 

Well said.  He does not have any obligation to hold an interview with CBS.  He is obligated to have a press conference, which he did.

To be fair, Peyton refused an on-field interview the week before. I think it's simply a matter of intense competitors being SO upset at having lost unexpectedly that they need a few minutes to gather themselves. It didn't bother me, and I thought that Sharpe looked like a jerk for trying to make it sound like it was an important issue. Of course with him that's par for the course.

I think it's unfair for the networks to announce who declined or accepted. They are just covering themselves against people who might think "why didn't they interview ___________", but so what. Just get who you can get, and get on with it. The comments are pointless anyway.  I didn't want to hear from either of them in that circumstance. And if the winners comments are just predictable garbage, what are the "losers" comments going to be exactly. Frankly I think that it's bad taste to ask them in the first place. "So, exactly how much pain are you feeling right now?" Please.

Belichick surely lacks some social skills, but I have an enormous amount of respect for him as a coach, and I've liked him a lot more as a person since seeing the NFL network specials. He is quite the character. It doesn't hurt that he got his feet wet working for a coach (Ted M) and a team (75 Colts) that meant the world to me when I was a kid. I only wish that they had kept him.