Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New ST coach: Tom McMahon

grmasterb

this seems like a dumb hiring. how exactly is he an upgrade to maalouf? its not like the chiefs were lights out on ST. why would anyone hire anyone from the worst team in football.

The Chiefs' numbers were better than the Colts numbers, so it is a small upgrade, IMO. See my post above with some numbers.

Ultimately, it is about Johnnys and Joes, not just Xs and Os, applies to ST as well.

Based on Grigson's comments about Maalouf, I think there was a sentiment among the team that he wasn't a good fit. That might be personality, that might be personal issues with family, who knows. It doesn't sound like the team had their eye on anyone in particular, based on the timing and the sequence of events.

Based on Grigson's comments about Maalouf, I think there was a sentiment among the team that he wasn't a good fit. That might be personality, that might be personal issues with family, who knows. It doesn't sound like the team had their eye on anyone in particular, based on the timing and the sequence of events.

I am just looking at where Maalouf came from. He trained under the Ravens' current ST head coach as ST assistant, who was 30th in the league in ST rankings in 2011, one spot higher than the Colts who were 31st in 2011. Yep, the same Ravens' ST coach that has the worst kick return avg. in the NFL this year and gave up 2 TDs to Trindon Holliday in the latest playoff game.

I did not think that was a quality hire, IMO, that of Maalouf. Maybe a Pagano recommendation. Now, this ST coach McMahon is making a lateral move, I prefer this kind of move as opposed to hiring another assistant.

I am just looking at where Maalouf came from. He trained under the Ravens' current ST head coach as ST assistant, who was 30th in the league in ST rankings in 2011, one spot higher than the Colts who were 31st in 2011. Yep, the same Ravens' ST coach that has the worst kick return avg. in the NFL this year and gave up 2 TDs to Trindon Holliday in the latest playoff game.

I did not think that was a quality hire, IMO, that of Maalouf. Maybe a Pagano recommendation. Now, this ST coach McMahon is making a lateral move, I prefer this kind of move as opposed to hiring another assistant.

Oh yeah, I agree with all that. I admittedly don't know much about most special teams coaches, so I can't speak to McMahon. I was more commenting on the idea that we've made a mistake in firing Maalouf and hiring McMahon. Like you said, McMahon's numbers are better (Javier Arenas might have something to do with that), and I think Maalouf's exit might have been more about cohesion than football.

Some of the comments here are just......     :loco:

They're enough to make any sane person go....         :wall:

I mean,  after all,   what have Grigson/Pagano/Arians/Manusky shown about the importance of good coaching anyway?    Can we really trust them?     :panic:

What have they done recently to earn that kind of trust?       :facepalm:

How about having just a little bit of faith that this staff knows what it's doing.     Seriously.

I know these kind of posts don't make me too popular with some here....    but, somehow, I think I'll manage another day.....

The Chiefs' numbers were better than the Colts numbers, so it is a small upgrade, IMO. See my post above with some numbers.

Ultimately, it is about Johnnys and Joes, not just Xs and Os, applies to ST as well.

Agreed. Players play coaches coach. I thought our special teams were solid this  year as opposed to the previous coaching staff. hope that continues with this new hire

Some of the comments here are just......     :loco:

They're enough to make any sane person go....         :wall:

I mean,  after all,   what have Grigson/Pagano/Arians/Manusky shown about the importance of good coaching anyway?    Can we really trust them?     :panic:

What have they done recently to earn that kind of trust?       :facepalm:

How about having just a little bit of faith that this staff knows what it's doing.     Seriously.

I know these kind of posts don't make me too popular with some here....    but, somehow, I think I'll manage another day.....

Fans knowing more than the coaching staff.......meh. ;)

This should be his first statement - Gunners - don't run PAST the kick returner!  I don't care how fast you are if you can't slow down enough to make a tackle.

Second statement - Please Mr. Irsay, re-sign the canal swimmer.

If he can get those two things accomplished, we should be fine.