Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

JJ Whatt after the sacks

TheJACKCOLT

Did anybody notice JJ Whatt after his sacks yesterday doing the leg kick (Mathis) and the salute (Freeney). Just a classless act to mimick to class players. I could see doing this if Freeney and Mathis were some kind of showboats, but these are two class players. Makes me hate Whatt even more, great player, but this was just classless, hope we kick their butt in two weeks.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody notice JJ Whatt after his sacks yesterday doing the leg kick (Mathis) and the salute (Freeney). Just a classless act to mimick to class players. I could see doing this if Freeney and Mathis were some kind of showboats, but these are two class players. Makes me hate Whatt even more, great player, but this was just classless, hope we kick their butt in two weeks.

My goodness. There is nothing "classless" about Watt or his post-sack antics.

I noticed it too... pretty annoying.

Look, JJ Watt is a very nice guy. He's not a mean ogre under a bridge that scares children or something. Okay, perhaps replicating Freeney's move is offensive to some, but isn't imitation the highest form of flattery too? 

I saw him all the time at UW-Madison on campus. Trust me, he wouldn't harm a fly; One of the nicest people you will ever meet IMHO.

Also, remember: The Texans are sick & tired of losing to the Colts too, a big part of the AFC South rivalry as well. 

Don't a lot of players do the kick?  Joey Porter used to do it, if I remember correctly.  And I think I've seen Von Miller do it too.  As for the salute, I can't recall it perfectly.  If he did the exact same thing as Freeney (two chest pounds, then a salute), then you could say something.  But if he just did a salute (which I think is was he did), it's not a big issue

If we're going to start getting upset about that, then how about getting angry at T.Y. Hilton's touchdown celebration, or, err, Freeney's salute? Or is it just the copying we're meant to get upset over? Both seem extremely petty.

By all reports, Watt is a stand up guy, and I think we're all too aware of how incredibly talented he is. No reason to get angry at him because he strolled through our o-line all day.

Did Freeney say he was offended by what JJ Watt did? I'm just curious...People are free to believe what they want to believe naturally, but JJ is a fundamentally sound tackler not cheap, dirty, or ruthless on the field either. 

Sure, his motor is always flying at maximum RPM's on the field, but he never takes cheap shots on QBs either like Ndamukong Suh for instance...

screen-shot-2012-11-22-at-1.29.21-pm-4_3

Sorry guys I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, didn't know so many would be offended by me pointing out what I saw. I'm old school, but it is what it is, and taunting another player is classless and I'am sure of that, sorry if anyone was offended

I understand your point TheJACKCOLT. You would just prefer a little less showboating etc. I wouldn't classify it as taunting though. It's just what defensive players do to "rally the troops" that's all.

I get it. Just make the tackle, complete the sack, & get ready for the next down. I'm not offended by what you said. It's just how LB's & DE's get motivated to reek havoc on the field to me. It gets the juices flowing.

Just like Shawne Merriman's "lights out" dance in San Diego for example... 

up_190465996.jpg

display_image.jpg

maybe if we had an O Line worth respecting then Watt may have been held in check to some extent........oh well back to dreaming. Seriously like others have said Watt is a stand up guy it sounds like,  My real problem is the trash blocking that the 5 men we have up front has been doing. Do we even call them our O Linemen at this point?

I may have the quote exactly right, but 49ers HOF WR Jerry Rice always said in reference to scoring TD's "act like you have been there before & you will be back again." I think perhaps that is more in line with your stance on JJ Watt. I apologize if I misinterpreted your original intent TheJACKCOLT.

Never be afraid to express your genuine feelings here sir. Your viewpoint is just as valuable as mine or anyone else's on this site. Please remember that...

Clay Matthews "Predator" celebration is 1 of my favorites: 

predator.jpg

clay1.jpg

I'm not upset at all about what Watt did or didn't do and whether it was intentional or not.  The guy flat out OWNED our O-line.  You don't want him celebrating then find a way to stop him.  Not many have been able to do that all year.

The thing that bothered me the most (and showed the least amount of class) was the fans that booed Shipley at the very end of the game when he went down to take the substitution.  It was obvious that he was hurting and should have stayed down anyway, but didn't and when he needed to be replaced the boos rained down from the crowd.  To me that was uncalled for and should be the object of your ire.

If our O-line spent more time protecting our QB and less time picking their noses maybe we wouldn't have to bear witness to it.

Just sayin'.

I like Shipley as a possible starter in the future either for us or somewhere else, so it may sound biased but that was a horrible job on the camera crew to focus the cameras on him during that. I think when Shipley has came in he has been one of our better O Linemen

I'm not upset at all about what Watt did or didn't do and whether it was intentional or not.  The guy flat out OWNED our O-line.  You don't want him celebrating then find a way to stop him.  Not many have been able to do that all year.

The thing that bothered me the most (and showed the least amount of class) was the fans that booed Shipley at the very end of the game when he went down to take the substitution.  It was obvious that he was hurting and should have stayed down anyway, but didn't and when he needed to be replaced the boos rained down from the crowd.  To me that was uncalled for and should be the object of your ire.

I think those that booed Shipley were just showing off their ignorance . They probably thought he was doing the old Patriot "stall" to delay the game. Just too stupid not to realize that there is a 10 second run off when the offense has no timouts in the last 2 minutes. 

As to this thread , yes it annoyed me a bit when Watt when into those antics. It annoyed me more than our gameplan and or players coudn't do better than allow him 10 unassisted tackles , 3 sacks , 6 TFL , 4 QB hits and just for good measure forced a fumble at the 1. The guy totally dominated the football game. Figure out what % of our plays Watts blew up. Almost mind boggling.

As to this thread , yes it annoyed me a bit when Watt when into those antics. It annoyed me more than our gameplan and or players coudn't do better than allow him 10 unassisted tackles , 3 sacks , 6 TFL , 4 QB hits and just for good measure forced a fumble at the 1. The guy totally dominated the football game. Figure out what % of our plays Watts blew up. Almost mind boggling.

Well he hadn't done that all season, so there was no way to game plan around....  oh, wait... 

He did do the "salute" like Freeney (which was annoying), but I can't dislike him off the field. I can't stand him on the field as he wreaked havoc on us...but off the field he's a good dude. We need to do our best in the last game to neutralize him. The Pats did quite effectively, and while we aren't them, we can adjust to take him out of the game.

Personally, I think it's his robot arm that gives him special powers. That thing is about as big an arm brace as I've ever seen! It's like a knee brace fitted to the arm. I think Kubiak and SkyNet combined forces to give it "Terminator"-like strength. Thus the nickname "JJ Swat"

I get the feeling you won't be saying this had the Colts won and Watt hadn't had a big game.

The guy deserves to do whatever he wants after a sack, as long as it's within the rules. The salute and kick aren't Freeney's and Mathis'. 

I think he's a * from a team in our division.

I don't understand all the love here for him.

It's not "love"...It's respect for a great opponent. Even I as a Pat hater has to respect the "Patriot Way" and how they've sustained a high level of play for a decade. That said, I hope he gets a nice shot (not an injury) when we play them at home! Or better yet, he closes in in Luck and gets flagged for a late hit just as Luck drops a bomb to Avery or Hilton..

Cause any team would love to have a player like him, for as long as I can remember we have never had a defensive player on the D Line that creates quite the problem he does in both pass rushing and run stopping and batting passes down

Sorry guys like I said I'm old school, I really don't care for any type of post play celebration, but I know that is the way of a lot of guys in the NFL nowdays. I love a player showing emotion, football is an emotional game and emotion is a way to fire up your teamates, its the postplay celebrations and dances I don't really care for. Yes Southwest11 I do like that quote from Jerry Rice and the way he conducted himself, Reggie Wayne is like that, he just hands the ball to the referee and gets ready to do it again. Walter Payton was the same way, Barry Sanders, Marvin Harrison and most of the truly great players were that way. I know that things are different in the NFL nowdays. I never saw a quarterback that had a choreographed celebration after throwing a touchdown, until Aron Rogers came along and now you have guys like Cam Newton that even celebrate after a firstdown. Thats why I have so much respect for guys like Peyton, Reggie and a few other players in the game who still conduct themselves the old school way, and I believe Luck fits in that same mold. I remember when Peyton was here, I can't remember the players name, it was a tight end or a wide receiver, that did a celebration after scoring a touch down and Peyton and some of the other guys told him we don't do that here and he never did it again. That is one of the things I loved most about the Colts, they have always been a class organization. The NFL is different now, its a look at me, and what I just did, league now, as is society as a whole. I guess I just miss the good ole days when it was more about the team an not the individual, but like I said I beleive Luck is from the old school of player, and I'm really glad for that, doesn't point fingers and holds himself accountable, he is truly a dying breed, so glad he's a Colt.     "GO COLTS"

Sorry guys like I said I'm old school, I really don't care for any type of post play celebration, but I know that is the way of a lot of guys in the NFL nowdays. I love a player showing emotion, football is an emotional game and emotion is a way to fire up your teamates, its the postplay celebrations and dances I don't really care for. Yes Southwest11 I do like that quote from Jerry Rice and the way he conducted himself, Reggie Wayne is like that, he just hands the ball to the referee and gets ready to do it again. Walter Payton was the same way, Barry Sanders, Marvin Harrison and most of the truly great players were that way. I know that things are different in the NFL nowdays. I never saw a quarterback that had a choreographed celebration after throwing a touchdown, until Aron Rogers came along and now you have guys like Cam Newton that even celebrate after a firstdown. Thats why I have so much respect for guys like Peyton, Reggie and a few other players in the game who still conduct themselves the old school way, and I believe Luck fits in that same mold. I remember when Peyton was here, I can't remember the players name, it was a tight end or a wide receiver, that did a celebration after scoring a touch down and Peyton and some of the other guys told him we don't do that here and he never did it again. That is one of the things I loved most about the Colts, they have always been a class organization. The NFL is different now, its a look at me, and what I just did, league now, as is society as a whole. I guess I just miss the good ole days when it was more about the team an not the individual, but like I said I beleive Luck is from the old school of player, and I'm really glad for that, doesn't point fingers and holds himself accountable, he is truly a dying breed, so glad he's a Colt.     "GO COLTS"

Nice post there TheJACKCOLT! I can certainly respect your viewpoint. If you lead by quiet example, say what can I do to better to improve this team 1st, & just go about your business others will follow suit making good things happen & fall into place. Rod Woodson was a non showboating safety too who won a SB ring with the Ravens. Another great guy IMO. Nice chatting with you TheJACKCOLT.  :D

58503584.jpg

Just 1 last point: Feel free to abbreviate my user name to SW1; it saves a lot of time. I do that a lot myself when I reply to posters on Colts Forum too. Thanks.  :rock:   :colts:

Some of you are taking this Texans thing too seriously. They beat us, let it go. Holding onto Anger is only Hurting yourself. You can sit on here all day and Trash talk them or whatever. Bottomline, we LOST. Accept it & Move On.

Wooosah Everyone !!!!

Well said TK85! I like your objectivity there. :thmup:

I don't agree with your term to describe JJ Watt Hendo12. Most of us are fans of game changing players on every NFL squad sir. Wanting to defeat an division rival is 1 thing; calling your opponent a derogatory term is quite another. Yes, I despise the Dallas Cowboys, but I won't single out individual players & call them a vulgar reference at least not publicly anyway, but hey that's just me...