Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Powers, CBs

draga

People were complaining a couple of weeks ago about the lack of calling out Bethea for having a bad season to that point in time. I think it's time to admit that for whatever reason Powers has been an issue at CB this season. Hopefully he gets it turned around much like Bethea has the past couple of weeks.

With that said the best thing we could do for secondary is find our missing pass rush.

People were complaining a couple of weeks ago about the lack of calling out Bethea for having a bad season to that point in time. I think it's time to admit that for whatever reason Powers has been an issue at CB this season. Hopefully he gets it turned around much like Bethea has the past couple of weeks.

With that said the best thing we could do for secondary is find our missing pass rush.

Between Freeney and Mathis this year, it's starting to look like Mathis is more valuable.

Well, he did not have a good game, but let me say that the slants that were ran his way were nearly impossible to defend. He was 8 yards off the line and the receivers ran a slant. That's more of a scheme issue than a player issue. He made some good tackles out there.

Bottomline is, the pass rush wasn't there, the scheme and play calling wasn't very good, and that only makes Powers' job more difficult.

Yeah Powers is more of a Cover 2 defender while Vontae is more of a man guy.

We have no pass rush and when you are going against receivers that run a 4.3 or 4.4 40 time and the QB has all day to throw, you can't cover your man all the time.

Powers need to play better along with the front 7 during passing situations. Although give credit to old vet Hasselbeck, he can still play at a very high level

Well, he did not have a good game, but let me say that the slants that were ran his way were nearly impossible to defend. He was 8 yards off the line and the receivers ran a slant. That's more of a scheme issue than a player issue. He made some good tackles out there.

Bottomline is, the pass rush wasn't there, the scheme and play calling wasn't very good, and that only makes Powers' job more difficult.

this

On the highlight after the game on colts.com when they confirmed ballards td. Vontae Davis is walking on the field to shake hands and he isn't even limping at all so I hope it isn't that serious

Hopefully that is the case. In one of the interviews he gave last week he stated how if you're not 100% healthy playing CB in the NFL, you're going to be a liability to your team. Let's hope he's can come back and play a solid game against his former team next week.

I believe Powers is playing well but he is a victim of the lack of pass rush. He usually covers the featured receiver and under the circumstances aforementioned he gets burned a few times. However he made plays in GB game (INT) and in Browns game (4th and 6). Today Hughes sack was a coverage sack in part due to Powers. I believe the last few games the DL has played off the secondary and not the other way around. Once Mathis comes back things will change a bit and people will think that our DBs play better.

With VD playing across him, Powers will get picked on a lot more and unfortunately teams have been having success against him. He needs to rise to the occasion and play well against this increased pressure he will be getting as long VD is on the field. I'll admit, offenses have gotten better to the point they usually have 2 #1 caliber WR's playing with each other. A pass rush would help but getting better would be even....better.

Folks Powers is a Nickel Corner on many other teams in the league, he is a good tackler without question but his cover skills are below average, He just is not a player thats going to be a Corner you want to avoid for fear of him jumping a route and making a interception on a ball

(I can remember 1 time off the top of my head where he read a QB's eyes and made a break on the ball and made a interception and thats last year at the Goal Line vs Atlanta

We had a pretty decent pass rush today with 2 sacks. Powers is just having a bad season. I don't know if there's an injury issue or he still needs to get use to new scheme. Either way we need a CB and a DE.

Well.... you're not alone in this opinion. So, perhaps I'm just flat out wrong. But I think Powers has been pretty good this season. I've got no serious objections to his play. Maybe I'll have different opinion later in the year, but after 7 games so far, I'm in Powers' corner. I think he's pretty good. Perhaps not great, but good enough for now.

Like everyone said..we have no pass rush

Powers performance has not just been an issue yesterday. His poor play has been an issue all year long and when Mathis was healthy we had plenty of pass rush.

Powers definitely has regressed, but the lack of a pass rush yesterday definitely put him and every other DB in a bad position.

The worst part is the trade has been a bust so far for Davis given his injuries this year. Hopefully he can get right here soon and step it up because it looks like he will be our only viable corner right now.

that last sentence is a major overreation

I hope im over reacting! But as over right now that statement would hold true. Hopefully he will come back and stay healthy perform. I just know our luck with players and having a history of injuries latley, it hasnt been too kind to us.