Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis out two to three weeks

GoColts8818

thats better than what I was expecting I was expecting a sprained MCL. Glad its just the Jets, Browns, and Titans games.

Now Freeney has to do what Mathis did while Freeney was gone. being that Freeney played well on a gimpy ankle his bull rush got better from what i seen I guess thats his way of playing the run because i seen him multiple times just bullrush the tackle and make the back bounce it right into Conner for a loss on the play lol, his ankle should be better this sunday and against sub par tackles and Sanchez and Tebow who love to hold on to the ball, Freeney could have an outstanding day. and its back to the up and down Jerry Hughes

Our luck with injuries is just ridiculous. I am looking forward to seeing Hughes step up though. He didn't really impress me when Freeney was out, but who knows, maybe this time he will show what he's worth.

Anybody else notice a Hughes dropoff in defensive performance when Freeney or Mathis are out?

mathis was out in the 4th qtr on sunday and hughes did a good job forcing rodgers to step up into getting sacked by redding a couple times. he is improving although its not awhole lot, but he is improving.

thats better than what I was expecting I was expecting a sprained MCL. Glad its just the Jets, Browns, and Titans games.

Now Freeney has to do what Mathis did while Freeney was gone. being that Freeney played well on a gimpy ankle his bull rush got better from what i seen I guess thats his way of playing the run because i seen him multiple times just bullrush the tackle and make the back bounce it right into Conner for a loss on the play lol, his ankle should be better this sunday and against sub par tackles and Sanchez and Tebow who love to hold on to the ball, Freeney could have an outstanding day. and its back to the up and down Jerry Hughes

I'm surprised no one created a threat addressing the fact that Freeney played well in the 3-4. At the end of the pre-season hardly anyone was confident that he could be successful. It was only one game but I think he will adjust fine.

Anybody else notice a Hughes dropoff in defensive performance when Freeney or Mathis are out?

I've noticed the exact opposite. As a matter of fact, the only time Hughes has gotten any playing time has been with either Freeney or Mathis out.

Also, Hughes looked much better in the preseason backing up Mathis OLB spot, as opposed to Freeney's rush LB spot. I think he'll take a little better to filling in for Mathis than he did filling in for Freeney.

I've noticed the exact opposite. As a matter of fact, the only time Hughes has gotten any playing time has been with either Freeney or Mathis out.

Also, Hughes looked much better in the preseason backing up Mathis OLB spot, as opposed to Freeney's rush LB spot. I think he'll take a little better to filling in for Mathis than he did filling in for Freeney.

It was a joke, Superman. "Hughes drop off" - "huge drop off", get it?

Well if Jerry wants to be on this team next year this is his chance. I am sure he will no show and do nothing, but it definitely is his chance to shine. I hope he does because we have a great chance of winning these next few games.

Jerry Hughes ......to his defense is better this year then the prior. I have seen him in the backfield and I have seen him on ST. I have also noticed he is PWA.

Really??? this Injury crap is getting so annoying. We cant go a week without losing at least two guys. Keeep at this pace and we wont even have a team at the end of the season. Bad thing is this has been a trend for us over the last 2-3 years it seems. When are we ever gonna be able to stay somewhat healthy? I know were gonna have some Injuries but at this pace, PLEASE!!!

It was a joke, Superman. "Hughes drop off" - "huge drop off", get it?

Granted, not a very good joke.

Hughes actually hurts us more in the run game. I've seen some improvement, but not the kind that gives me any desire to resign him next year. I actually thought Addison outplayed him and would have liked to seen him take more reps.

I personally think Hughes will fill in nicely for Mathis.

Mathis has been great so far, but Hughes has come along this season, even made some tackles in special teams which can be a good sign.

I personally think he fits the system better than Freeney, but it will be interesting to see how he does opposite Freeney.

I have no problem this season with Hughes as a pass rusher. He has improved tremendously albeit still inconsistent at times. The game against GB, he was in the backfield all day. I think we will be ok.

agreed, a few times I saw him get off and not being able to see who it was until after the play he looked like rob... so it may be slow, but at least we are seeing something, and not being stood up at the line... also saw some quickness when he dropped back into coverage while being down in his 3 point stance... that's the type of stuff that can catch Sanchez/Tebow off guard and we may be able to take advantage of.. not even INT's but disrupting timing and what not.. sucks but i have a good feeling

I personally think Hughes will fill in nicely for Mathis.

Mathis has been great so far, but Hughes has come along this season, even made some tackles in special teams which can be a good sign.

I personally think he fits the system better than Freeney, but it will be interesting to see how he does opposite Freeney.

Agreed, I like what I saw on run downs out of Freeney tho. 1 week doesn't sell me though

Stinks Mathis will be out but I do like that we are getting an honest look at Hughes again. He's going to end up playing at least close to half a season at both OLB spots. We are going to get a real answer on if he can play in the new system or not. Frankly it will be interesting to see if he benefits at all from the attention Freeney demands when he was out there. I will say this Hughes has been able to provide some heat at times this season. Honestly if I had to say the biggest difference in our defense when it's clicking from years past is that now when Freeney/Mathis/Hughes comes off the edge and the QB goes to step up to avoid them they are stepping up into someone for a sack namely Redding. Sunday was a great example of that.

I think Hughes is valuable to the Colts, he's starting to show he can play at this level and is truly better in a 3-4 as he was projected to be. Even if the Colts upgrade the backup OLB spot, they should still keep him for extra depth. If we dump Hughes, some other 3-4 team will give him a chance as a backup and he will continue to to improve.