Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are gonna miss Austin Collie more than expected

Smitto

I was just thinking back to the saints Superbowl and I remembered Reggie... that was definitely not his best game, his aggressiveness wasn't there leading him to get shutdown, and it wasn't his first time.

My question is when Reggie gets shutdown who's up next? Avery has speed but that's it, not a very good route runner nor is T.Y Hilton.

Austin Collie provided that reliance on his routes and his hands, collie didn't have the speed but he made great catches... One of the rookies seriously needs to step up and do it quick.

I think Avery will be fine actually, although he is not the best route runner, he proved in a game earlier this year is is capable of catching the short to mid ball fine.

Also Allen and Fleener should be able to take more advantage of the mismatches they will get.

I think their numbers are so low right now partially due to the fact that Reggie seems to be option 1 on almost all routes and if your first read is open or you can see his route coming open no need to go through the progressions.

Looking at the Schedule, the BEST remaining Defense is the Texans. And with everyone moving around, it's gonna be Hard to shut someone down.

Our old offense you knew Wayne would stay on the Left side majority of the time. But with Arians now, you don't know where he'll line up. And this is why Reggie is having so much Success. As the season goes on, Hilton & Avery will emerge as threats.

But I don't see Collie ever wearing a Colts Helmet again. I think it's time we all prepared ourselves in case we do move on from him.

I was just thinking back to the saints Superbowl and I remembered Reggie... that was definitely not his best game, his aggressiveness wasn't there leading him to get shutdown, and it wasn't his first time.

My question is when Reggie gets shutdown who's up next? Avery has speed but that's it, not a very good route runner nor is T.Y Hilton.

Austin Collie provided that reliance on his routes and his hands, collie didn't have the speed but he made great catches... One of the rookies seriously needs to step up and do it quick.

I'm going to give Palmer more time. He played against the Packers, although he did drop the only pass Luck threw to him. As I watched him he looks like a player to me. Just needs a wider window of opportunity.

I think Avery will be fine actually, although he is not the best route runner, he proved in a game earlier this year is is capable of catching the short to mid ball fine.

Also Allen and Fleener should be able to take more advantage of the mismatches they will get.

I think their numbers are so low right now partially due to the fact that Reggie seems to be option 1 on almost all routes and if your first read is open or you can see his route coming open no need to go through the progressions.

He had a wide open touchdown, but Luck over threw him.

Good post!

I'm going to give Palmer more time. He played against the Packers, although he did drop the only pass Luck threw to him. As I watched him he looks like a player to me. Just needs a wider window of opportunity.

He very well could be that guy and I hope he is and that goes for anyone on offense... the colts have talent in the WR core but they need time to develop. The colts look like they have that playoff mentality with the moves they made so maybe the time frame for that development for the young wide outs isn't enough

Looking at the Schedule, the BEST remaining Defense is the Texans. And with everyone moving around, it's gonna be Hard to shut someone down.

Our old offense you knew Wayne would stay on the Left side majority of the time. But with Arians now, you don't know where he'll line up. And this is why Reggie is having so much Success. As the season goes on, Hilton & Avery will emerge as threats.

But I don't see Collie ever wearing a Colts Helmet again. I think it's time we all prepared ourselves in case we do move on from him.

Collie is done as a Colt, but another possession receiver would do the colts some wonders.. luck seems to be having some trouble throwing the deep ball so far so another receiver who has hands like Wayne or halfway close to that would make up for that... and your forgetting the chiefs and their CB flowers, jets with cromartie and Wilson, Joe for the browns.. you never know

Collie is done as a Colt, but another possession receiver would do the colts some wonders.. luck seems to be having some trouble throwing the deep ball so far so another receiver who has hands like Wayne or halfway close to that would make up for that... and your forgetting the chiefs and their CB flowers, jets with cromartie and Wilson, Joe for the browns.. you never know

Kyle Wilson for the Jets? :lol: He couldn't Shutdown a Computer.

And the other 2 teams are just as Unstable as the Jets. The chiefs may have Quinn starting QB by the time we play them. Flowers is good, but can't cover everyone. And Haden has to stop doing Drugs to be on the Field

EDIT: and that's what FA is for & the Draft. A lot of Money to spend. Although I think Kris Adams is gonna be the Possession WR imo

It will be by committee, and our committee hasn't been bad. Each guy has had a breakout game, Avery against the Vikes, Hilton against the Jags, etc. These guys are more than capable, it's just going to be streaky this season while everyone learns how to play with one another.

I think we'll be fine. Reggie has been working the middle of the field quite well. Avery and T.Y. both have speed and will be fine. Luke actually overthrew Avery on Sunday. T.Y. still has a lot to learn being a rookie and all. I think we did finally see what Allen could do on Sunday and Fleener played better. I still think Fleener is afraid of getting hit, but that will pass (I hope) I expect to continue seeing Reggie work the middle and us using Avery as the deep threat. The TE's should be included more, but that's B.A.'s call

Yeah I know but if reggie is taken out we need somebody to take over the possession plays that Reggie usually gets us and that Collie was so good at getting.

I believe Griff Walen could have been that Collie role. His hands were like a vacuum in the preseason and he seemed to have good route skills. Not a 6'4 guy but if you catch the ball, who cares. Time will tell but I agree with many that we will not see Collie in a Colts uniform again.

Luck spreads the ball around. and there is only one ball to go around he completed 31 passes: 13 to wayne, 5 to Fleener, 4 to Allen, 3 to Avery, 3 to Hilton. He trows to whoever is open on the play and he does something that a rookie QB rarely does and thats throw the ball away when nothing is there. its Wayne and then its receiver by committee like it should be and that just gives defenses more people to prepare for. its always a different person every week giving us a ton of options during the game. we have 5 legit receiving threats every game. How many teams can say that? not many

How can you miss a WR that is always on IR. At this point his only ability is being injured. Bob Sanders of the Offense.

Give our young WR's time. If we make the playoffs they will have a lot more games under their belts, and the timing will be there. They are Rookies, and they are 4th round + rookies. They need time to develop.

Mike Wallace is a FA at the end of the season isnt he???? that could be the answer right there, young,fast and good hands.

I believe Griff Walen could have been that Collie role. His hands were like a vacuum in the preseason and he seemed to have good route skills. Not a 6'4 guy but if you catch the ball, who cares. Time will tell but I agree with many that we will not see Collie in a Colts uniform again.

I see whalen as another welker. small in size, good hands, aggressive going for the ball, and can sneak his way behind a secondary to get open. if he were not hurt that would be a guy to give a shot at playing in the slot.

I think TY is slowly becoming his number 2 go to guy. Everytime Luck is under pressure and a play needs to be made and Reggies not open he's gone to TY. It happened against the Jags up the sideline. It happened when Luck scrambled left and through it to him on the run against Charles Woodson.

He very well could be that guy and I hope he is and that goes for anyone on offense... the colts have talent in the WR core but they need time to develop. The colts look like they have that playoff mentality with the moves they made so maybe the time frame for that development for the young wide outs isn't enough

I think they all need a bit more time to come together and mature. As I've said all along, we are a playoff team as long as we don't get bit too hard by injuries or inconsistent play. If we play Colts football like I know we can, we will get there.

I think TY is slowly becoming his number 2 go to guy. Everytime Luck is under pressure and a play needs to be made and Reggies not open he's gone to TY. It happened against the Jags up the sideline. It happened when Luck scrambled left and through it to him on the run against Charles Woodson.

I noticed this as well, T.Y. seems to understand sandlot ball real well and moves to the open area when Luck scrambles.

I think Avery needs to be demanding the ball more on the field the guy has all the potential in the world if he can continue to catch the ball, somebody has to step up as our #2, I was pretty critical of the guy and I wont take it back after 1 great game, Avery has to find a way to be consistent the same with T.Y. I know he is a rookie but football 101 you have to catch the ball

Does anyone know if Whalen has the ability to be brought off IR? I'm not sure how the new rule works.

I noticed this as well, T.Y. seems to understand sandlot ball real well and moves to the open area when Luck scrambles.

TY needs to stop stepping out of bounds and causing illegal touching penalties.

I see whalen as another welker. small in size, good hands, aggressive going for the ball, and can sneak his way behind a secondary to get open. if he were not hurt that would be a guy to give a shot at playing in the slot.

Yep, I almost made the same person comparison.

I agree I was on that thought process as well. I hope when Whalen comes back next year we can keep him and give him some time. He could really be that psession guy for us. Not a big play threat, but anything from about 12 yards and in he's money. well see.

In my mind Collie is done as a Colt. But I don't think they are hard pressed to replace his production at this point. T.Y. is just a rookie and has looked impressive already. As he matures as a player I am sure he will develop into a solid receiver. Also we have Griff Whalen sitting on IR who could be around to be a Collie clone next year if need be. We have some young talent with enough upside to fill Collie's shoes if need be. I think we will be just fine.

Right now I think that's the big question about the Colts offense if teams take away Reggie (which make no mistake someone is going to sooner or later) who is the next guy? Avery had a good game and so did Hilton. I'd even say both Fleener and Allen have had good games as the second guy but no one has done it yet on a constant bases. Hopefully someone steps up. We might need it Sunday because the Jets were able to take Johnson out of the Texans game plan on Monday Night I am sure they will try to do the samething to Wayne on Sunday. If the Jets don't you can bet that the Pats will when we play them. That's what BB loves to do. Find your favorite weapon and take him away from you.

With all that said I am not sure Collie was that guy either. I mean it's not like he was tearing things up that one game he did play. Don't get me wrong I would like to have Collie but I am not sure he would have been the answer if a team takes Reggie away. Honestly the last couple of years the guy that was the answer was mostly Garcon and someone needs to step up and be our number two guy. Collie benefited a lot from teams focusing on Wayne and Garcon before they got to him like any good slot guy does.

What has Brazil done so far in the regular season? I sure did like him in the preseason but it's been 4 games and he has not shown up at all has he? Perhaps Whalen has the same thing occur, big play in preseason and then nothing In the real season. It just appeared that Griff had vacuum hands. Brazil was speed while Griff was routes

What has Brazil done so far in the regular season? I sure did like him in the preseason but it's been 4 games and he has not shown up at all has he? Perhaps Whalen has the same thing occur, big play in preseason and then nothing In the real season. It just appeared that Griff had vacuum hands. Brazil was speed while Griff was routes

Fumble a kickoff in the Bears game?

I don't mean that to be funny or seem like I am taking a shot at Brazil but he just hasn't gotten out there since the Bears game. Keep in mind he was a later round pick which probably means he needs some more time to develop. He has been playing well as one of the special teams guys on the coverage units.

Brazil is the number 4 guy..6 if you put Fleener and Allen ahead of him..he's not going to get that much opportunities out there which is why I'm curious as to why you guys are imagining Whalen out there being Collie 2.0..

You're crying over spilled milk. Why are you bringing up collie at this point? A lot of teams are hurt, get over it and move on