Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dakich on Pagano.....

Jackie Daytona

Don't really take Dakich's sentiments on NFL too seriously as he seems much less connected in Football circles than he is in Basketball..... but he is "claiming"  on 1070 right now, that he has sources that say the Colts locker room is in shambles......  saying that Pagano bucking the initial Ballard requirement of a more physical camp, then bowing to Ballard demand for it, lost the Locker room and now the players see Pagano as sucking up to Ballard.....  

There has long been a saying that you can come in hard as far as leadership positions go, and ease up over time, but you cannot come in easy, and get tough over time.......  Again, not sure how much I trust his "sources"  since he still today is kind of siding with Grigson, mentioning we'd all be "SHOCKED" if we knew how many of the crappy draft picks over the last few years were Chuck's picks.......  ( I wouldn't be, I can see Green, D'joun Smith, and Werner being Chuck guys easily )  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the locker room is in shambles (it might be) it's because the guy who gives the team belief hasn't done anything yet on the field. 

Not that any of us know for sure how these things go behind closed doors, we were always left with the impression that Peyton had a sort of GM-esq leadership quality and that that's not something that Luck is into. 

I might suggest that if that's the case maybe he reevaluates that attitude. 

Someone pass my note along! lol

I take anything Dakich says about sports other than basketball with the smallest grain of salt.  Unreliable in a lot of his comments on football and the Colts.  BUT, I can see this being true as in the locker room sees Pags as a worried about the job only type right now and not what he has been.  We need a coach with a backbone...You see plenty of teams do well in the league over the years and it is typically because they have a solid owner, and a coach who has rules and a backbone.  Curious of who might be there next year anyways.....

The units are still coming together, there was alot of turnover this offseason. Everyone knows when Luck is out there the ball moves down the field so let's remember that the preseason doesnt tell the full story. I dont think Pagano has lost the locker room. I think him and CB are on the same page. I just think that Pagano is taking a far more serious approach and holding people more accountable which is something I think we all want.

This team even as is should beat the Rams in week 1

P.S Everyones worried about the way Dallas ran the ball against our new defence but lets remember this: Most of us could run for 2000 yards behind there line.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I take anything Dakich says about sports other than basketball with the smallest grain of salt.  Unreliable in a lot of his comments on football and the Colts.  BUT, I can see this being true as in the locker room sees Pags as a worried about the job only type right now and not what he has been.  We need a coach with a backbone...You see plenty of teams do well in the league over the years and it is typically because they have a solid owner, and a coach who has rules and a backbone.  Curious of who might be there next year anyways.....

Dave Toub......  who is intriguing, but scary at the same time lol

Chuck is not paid to draft players, that is Grigson/Ballard job to build the roster. Have never heard of a GM or owner blaming the coach for drafting players and have never heard of a coach getting fired because of poor drafting. That is a Grigson cop out. His job was be the guy to put the names on the cards for drafting the load of crap we got most years.

Pagano is responsible for getting those guys ready to play. Frankly this roster has been a shambles the last few years. We have a boatload of new players this year, lots of competition for spots and very few guys who are secure in their starting places. That makes for some tension in the locker room. But IMHO, that is the kind of tension you want- guys playing for their careers.

11 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Dave Toub......  who is intriguing, but scary at the same time lol

I know his name will come up, but I know little about him.  I do not know his style which will be important.  Does he favor offense over defense or vice versa.  I know he's a ST coach currently but he might favor offense...idk!

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I know his name will come up, but I know little about him.  I do not know his style which will be important.  Does he favor offense over defense or vice versa.  I know he's a ST coach currently but he might favor offense...idk!

He's an interesting Cat, 55 years old, played OL in college, drafted in round 9, only made it to 3 NFL camps, never on final roster..... coached Strength and Conditioning at UTEP, and also Offensive Line, was Missouri's S&C coach for 9 years, also coaching OL for 2, and Defensive Line for 3, has coached ST's in NFL for Philly, Chicago, and KC..... was with Ballard in CHI, and KC, and interviewed for CHI head coach job while Ballard was there in 2012..... was also interviewed by Miami for their HC position in 2011......

5 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

He's an interesting Cat, 55 years old, played OL in college, drafted in round 9, only made it to 3 NFL camps, never on final roster..... coached Strength and Conditioning at UTEP, and also Offensive Line, was Missouri's S&C coach for 9 years, also coaching OL for 2, and Defensive Line for 3, has coached ST's in NFL for Philly, Chicago, and KC..... was with Ballard in CHI, and KC, and interviewed for CHI head coach job while Ballard was there in 2012..... was also interviewed by Miami for their HC position in 2011......

IDK how I feel about that though.  Ballard seems to like him but that does not mean anything as of right now.

31 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Pagano should never have been anywhere near the Draft War Room. Besides Landon Collins, Tevin Coleman should have been the pick instead Djoun Smith.

As far as Luck being a voicetress leader, that's just not him. IMO, he's more comfortable being the good, likeable soldier.

Who keeps the head coach out of the draft room?       Which team?       None that I know of....

A coach should always have a voice in the players that are picked.      Perhaps not the last voice,  that's for the GM and/or owner.     But the HC always needs to have input.

40 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Pagano should never have been anywhere near the Draft War Room. Besides Landon Collins, Tevin Coleman should have been the pick instead Djoun Smith.

As far as Luck being a voicetress leader, that's just not him. IMO, he's more comfortable being the good, likeable soldier.

What?  That makes no sense what so ever.

I think some of these rumors are just Dakich stirring the pot. Like the Ballard vs Pagano narrative he's trying to start.

But I've always thought Pagano had a pretty good say in the draft while Grigson was here, at least in certain picks. Pagano was rumored to be infatuated with Green way before we drafted him, same with Smith. Now, Green still has room to improve, and injuries really messed Smith up, but I've just always thought Pagano had a decent say when it came to drafting players.

I definitely think Grigson tried to overstep his boundries with the offense. Making T. Rich play, trying to make Jonothan Harrison play, all those things.

Chuck Pagano is very involved in the draft process. Obviously the GM and owner will have the final say. However, all three do contribute in the process. 

Chris Ballard has publicly stated that we draft players who fit what Pagano is looking for. 

As far as the Indianapolis media stirring the pot about the Colts...

Have they ever not?

It's what they do. 

Idk about wanting Gore released, but I definitely think there's a bunch of people who want to see Mack start. Letting an old, past his prime player start over a rookie with upside is Grigson stuff, that should be a thing of the past. Turbin is just a role player, so the Colts should be starting Mack IMO. Plus Gore is the last "old" player on a team that has gotten incredibly younger the past couple months.

It has been weird with Pagano though. Acting tougher and sounding more serious. Agreed with whoever said you can come in hard and ease up, but you can't come in soft and toughen up. Pagano seems weak IMO. That is where the Colts get that label from.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Could also see Dorsett as being Chuck's guy because of the U connection. Still kills me knowing Landon Collins could have been ours.

You spend a lot of time on what could have been.  It is a pointless exercise.  Let it go.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Don't really take Dakich's sentiments on NFL too seriously as he seems much less connected in Football circles than he is in Basketball..... but he is "claiming"  on 1070 right now, that he has sources that say the Colts locker room is in shambles......  saying that Pagano bucking the initial Ballard requirement of a more physical camp, then bowing to Ballard demand for it, lost the Locker room and now the players see Pagano as sucking up to Ballard.....  

There has long been a saying that you can come in hard as far as leadership positions go, and ease up over time, but you cannot come in easy, and get tough over time.......  Again, not sure how much I trust his "sources"  since he still today is kind of siding with Grigson, mentioning we'd all be "SHOCKED" if we knew how many of the crappy draft picks over the last few years were Chuck's picks.......  ( I wouldn't be, I can see Green, D'joun Smith, and Werner being Chuck guys easily )  

I don't know if the locker room is in shambles or not, but I agree you can't be an easy easy going coach at first and then get tough after that. 

Same thing with a music group. You can always play heavy music and then mellow out over time, but you can't be a mellow band and then try to go heavy afterwards. It never works. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

what about Steve Spags?  is it time he gets another chance?  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who keeps the head coach out of the draft room?       Which team?       None that I know of....

A coach should always have a voice in the players that are picked.      Perhaps not the last voice,  that's for the GM and/or owner.     But the HC always needs to have input.

Easy.  Kevin Costner and the Cleveland Browns. 

Seriously though, I'd still love to know how they had a little WR ranked that high on their 15 draft board.

1 hour ago, OHColtfan said:

Chuck is not paid to draft players, that is Grigson/Ballard job to build the roster. Have never heard of a GM or owner blaming the coach for drafting players and have never heard of a coach getting fired because of poor drafting. That is a Grigson cop out. His job was be the guy to put the names on the cards for drafting the load of crap we got most years.

Pagano is responsible for getting those guys ready to play. Frankly this roster has been a shambles the last few years. We have a boatload of new players this year, lots of competition for spots and very few guys who are secure in their starting places. That makes for some tension in the locker room. But IMHO, that is the kind of tension you want- guys playing for their careers.

There is no way that Grigson would have drafted Werner, Djoun, and Green without Pagano saying they would be good players. They were all specifically suited to Pagano's 3-4 defense and he definitely had a lot to say about it.  Everybody can miss evaluates, but those guys flaming out has as much to do with Pagano as Grigson.