Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LB Zach Orr visiting today

On 6/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, Shafty138 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/30/zach-orr-visiting-colts-friday/

Apparently his neck issue is genetic and not caused by injury, if team doctors clear him, would he be a solid pick up?  25 years old, 6-0, 225# 133 tackles and 3 picks last year....

It has always been known (at least since it was discovered) that Orr's condition was a congenital anomaly; incomplete fusion of C1 (Atlas vertebra).  It has been reported his condition is a .1%, which tells me it could well be an anterior incomplete fusion, or a combination anterior and posterior incomplete fusion.  Whether team physicians will 'pass' a player with such a condition is a hit or miss proposition.  Many medical conditions are black and white, while some others are in gray areas.  This could be one, and it is hard for teams to forego talent if it can be acquired. If Colts team doctors clear him, I'll bet he will be on a strict watch/exam routine.  Playing with an injury might be the greatest risk, one the player and team may well need to avoid.

Though rare, there is a site with case study and report about this type congenital condition and playing (or no longer playing) sports.  It's long, detailed, and may, (Uh.. does...) contain ( a lot of/!!) medical jargon, but for those interested what a potential scenario a possible  ILB for the Colts faces, this would be a good source to learn from.

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/journals/ortho/2012-9-35-9/{048dad31-c07c-4df1-980b-116aa6f39dc5}/athletic-cervical-spine-injury-in-the-setting-of-fusion-failure-of-the-anterior-and-posterior-atlas

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we've got pretty good odds over Detroit and the Jets.   As long as Baltimore doesn't jump in the mix I think we've got good odds over a number of these teams.

I was about to post the same thing. The scheme familiarity would mean he would be more likely able to make an early impact with us than with a team he'd have to do serious homework with. If he's cleared, he would be an AWESOME pickup for us. ILB could actually become a strength for us.

Health is a concern but if he passes the physical then go for it. Be careful though, there are a ton of injured players not intending to play a full season and are looking for one last big paycheck. 

I would hate to cut a promising player for a player like that.

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we've got pretty good odds over Detroit and the Jets.   As long as Baltimore doesn't jump in the mix I think we've got good odds over a number of these teams.

Monachino was his position coach so there should be a relationship there. Albeit the year before he broke out. The kid was second team All-Pro. The dollar amount might be an issue. 

This would be a huge signing for us if we can get it done. ILB was clearly the weak link on the roster. If we add Orr to Spence Bostic and Jackson that's looking pretty good  

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I read the Raven's aren't in great CAP shape. They are looking at starting Correa inside so bringing him back would make sense. 

Ballard said during the pre-draft process that when it comes to injuries that the long term prognosis has to be good. If doctors say he can play at a high level for another 5 years or so, then he should get signed. How much money he wants would be the big question though.

Think Orr is a good LB but think we should perhaps wait till teams start making cuts at training camp as some better LB's could become available then, nothing against Orr just think that if we wait a few weeks till cuts start happening we could maybe get a better quality player or possibly a strong seasoned vet to slot in also, we all know that our D needs a pretty big revamp but kinda feel that signing Orr would be a signing for signings sake.

6th year Scouse Colts fan 

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I figured we would be one of the 8 teams that were said to be interested early on.  Reel him on in Ballard.

Not today...

10 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If the doctors have cleared him, sign this man immediately.

Ger er done CB!

Not going to happen at this time...

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Any News

Yes.

I know folks are excited about Orr being a FA and changing his mind about retirement, and visiting the Colts.  OTOH...

'... don’t jump to the conclusion that the team’s decision to host the free agent — Baltimore’s leading tackler last season — for a visit Friday will lead to Orr landing in Indianapolis.

Friday’s visit, according to an NFL source, was an information-gathering effort, the Colts wanting to get a sense of whether Orr’s recently discovered congenital spinal condition would allow him to continue playing. And thus far, the Colts have not reached a comfort level with Orr that would pave the way to his signing with the team.

Orr’s obvious talent and the Colts’ lack of standouts at inside linebacker made them an obvious suitor for the three-year veteran. But, ultimately, medical opinions will be the chief determining factor behind any decision to sign Orr after news of his spinal issue.'

'Orr, 25, announced in January that he would retire from the NFL because of the spinal condition, which he has had since birth. He said doctors told him he was at risk of death or paralysis if he continued playing. Since then, however, Orr said he has gotten conflicting opinions from other doctors, (not too unusual in cases like this) some of whom he says told him he is not at any greater risk than other players.'

“As far as me physically, mentally, I’m ready to go,” Orr told NFL Network earlier this week. “I’m feeling better than ever.”

'But given the spinal condition, the reality is no team wants to be the one who gets this wrong. That’s what Orr is up against as he continues to explore a return to the sport.

Orr has already visited the Lions and said Friday he plans to visit the Jets over the weekend.'

I also heard Jermichael Finley on NFL radio today.  He told James Lofton if he could talk to Orr, he'd say 'don't follow the money.  Protect his well being now and his future quality of life.'

Finley suffered a spinal cord bruise in 2103, and eventually retired and cashed in his 10 million dollar injury policy.

His story, in his words are here-

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not today...

Not going to happen at this time...

Yes.

I know folks are excited about Orr being a FA and changing his mind about retirement, and visiting the Colts.  OTOH...

'... don’t jump to the conclusion that the team’s decision to host the free agent — Baltimore’s leading tackler last season — for a visit Friday will lead to Orr landing in Indianapolis.

Friday’s visit, according to an NFL source, was an information-gathering effort, the Colts wanting to get a sense of whether Orr’s recently discovered congenital spinal condition would allow him to continue playing. And thus far, the Colts have not reached a comfort level with Orr that would pave the way to his signing with the team.

Orr’s obvious talent and the Colts’ lack of standouts at inside linebacker made them an obvious suitor for the three-year veteran. But, ultimately, medical opinions will be the chief determining factor behind any decision to sign Orr after news of his spinal issue.'

'Orr, 25, announced in January that he would retire from the NFL because of the spinal condition, which he has had since birth. He said doctors told him he was at risk of death or paralysis if he continued playing. Since then, however, Orr said he has gotten conflicting opinions from other doctors, (not too unusual in cases like this) some of whom he says told him he is not at any greater risk than other players.'

“As far as me physically, mentally, I’m ready to go,” Orr told NFL Network earlier this week. “I’m feeling better than ever.”

'But given the spinal condition, the reality is no team wants to be the one who gets this wrong. That’s what Orr is up against as he continues to explore a return to the sport.

Orr has already visited the Lions and said Friday he plans to visit the Jets over the weekend.'

I also heard Jermichael Finley on NFL radio today.  He told James Lofton if he could talk to Orr, he'd say 'don't follow the money.  Protect his well being now and his future quality of life.'

Finley suffered a spinal cord bruise in 2103, and eventually retired and cashed in his 10 million dollar injury policy.

His story, in his words are here-

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jermichael-finley-packers-injury-retirement/

Thanks

Some tidbits about Orr for perusal-

"So why did recently-retired linebacker Zachary Orr unretire? As one league source put it on Wednesday morning, “He found a doctor who told him what he wanted to hear.”

The real question is whether Orr will find a doctor with one of the NFL’s various teams that will do the same thing. If the Ravens’ doctors thought Orr could have played without an unacceptable degree of risk due to a rare neck condition that could result in a serious, life-changing injury, he wouldn’t have been “forced” to retire in January."

"Although some doctors will say whatever the person paying them wants the doctor to say, most won’t be inclined to put their name on a document that could become the gateway to a debilitating injury."

However, I say there's always a chance there will be one willing to take the risk. It could be the Lions, or any of the 7 other teams that have expressed interest.  Or possibly none of them. Only time will tell.

I think at a 1% congenital anomaly rate, there are a few others in the NFL playing with the same condition, and it just hasn't been discovered as of yet.

Dr. Chao believes he'll pass a physical with an NFL team at some point.  I'm less optimistic.

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I may be the only one here who doesn't know who this guy is.  And I'm not afraid to admit it.

Went undrafted in 2014, played for the Ravens for 3 years, ended up making a second team All-Pro.  Still young, but he retired due to injury concerns and it looks like he's now looking to get back in the NFL.  He's a very good linebacker and would be an immediate upgrade and starter for us, provided he's healthy