Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What does your GUT tell you for rounds 1-3?

What does your gut tell you about what selections Ballard will make in rounds 1-3?

It's impossible to predict the entire draft, but I have a gut feeling about certain players for the first 3 rounds, players that CB would like. This assumes no trade-downs. I'm sure it'll become more clear after the first 10 picks.

Here's my gut feeling:

1. Haason Reddick (ILB)

2. Derek Rivers (OLB)

3. Rasul Douglas (CB)

Here's another gut feeling:

1. Forest Gump (G)

2. Charles Harris (OLB)
3. Joe Mixon (RB)

The first one is more possible based on the players and those picks/rounds.  The second one to me in not likely since Harris will probably go in the 1st or very early 2nd, and Mixon will be gone in the 2nd.

My gut says:

1. Reuben Foster (ILB)

2. Gareon Conley (CB)

3. DeMarcus Walker (OLB)

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

What does your gut tell you about what selections Ballard will make in rounds 1-3?

It's impossible to predict the entire draft, but I have a gut feeling about certain players for the first 3 rounds, players that CB would like. This assumes no trade-downs. I'm sure it'll become more clear after the first 10 picks.

Here's my gut feeling:

1. Haason Reddick (ILB)

2. Derek Rivers (OLB)

3. Rasul Douglas (CB)

1. Forest Gump (G)

2. Charles Harris (OLB)
3. Joe Mixon (RB)

Forrest Gump is far too skinny to play guard.  He is a heckeva return man though

What I think will happen is:

1) Best CB available. Humphrey?

2) Best Defensive Player available. Watt? Jarrad Davis?

3) Kareem Hunt

What I'd like to see happen:

1) Hasson Reddick

2) Sidney Wilson - Injury and all. He's a 1st round talent who will likely have to redshirt in a rebuilding year where we aren't likely to do much anyway in the grand scheme of things. We have Melvin to cover for a year if worst comes to worst. Good time to see him develop a bit.

3) Best RB available

7 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Here's my gut feeling:

1. Haason Reddick (ILB)

2. Derek Rivers (OLB)

3. Rasul Douglas (CB)

1. Forest Gump (G)

2. Charles Harris (OLB)
3. Joe Mixon (RB)

my gut tells me that no matter who he picks in the first 3 rounds, half of this forum is gonna melt down and the other half will praise him.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

my gut tells me that no matter who he picks in the first 3 rounds, half of this forum is gonna melt down and the other half will praise him.

Why, what would give you that impression?

It's almost as if you've been... a witness to it... every year...  :thinking:

The same optimists liking every decision, the same pessimists hating every decision. :worms:

I've caught flak over the years, but I usually lean toward the optimist.  I didn't like every FA signing, or every draft pick, or every LACK of a pick (Richardson trade), but I remained an optimist and rationalized and defended the decisions.  Because I needed to believe we could win a SB.

Because I don't like the alternative:  "Oh, here we go again, Colts CAN'T win a SB with THIS roster.  The GM/Coach/Players are just too horrible.  I would have done x,y,z because I'm not a fool."

Luckily, most people fall somewhere in between, and call themselves realists.  :thmup:

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why, what would give you that impression?

It's almost as if you've been... a witness to it... every year...  :thinking:

The same optimists liking every decision, the same pessimists hating every decision. :worms:

I've caught flak over the years, but I usually lean toward the optimist.  I didn't like every FA signing, or every draft pick, or every LACK of a pick (Richardson trade), but I remained an optimist and rationalized and defended the decisions.  Because I needed to believe we could win a SB.

Because I don't like the alternative:  "Oh, here we go again, Colts CAN'T win a SB with THIS roster.  The GM/Coach/Players are just too horrible.  I would have done x,y,z because I'm not a fool."

Luckily, most people fall somewhere in between, and call themselves realists.  :thmup:

yep. same here. I just am excited for the draft, only way I'm gonna melt down is if we draft a QB,K/P, WR or a C in the first, I can live with anything else 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lamp/Reddick 1st round

Charles Harris 2nd round

Melifonwu 3rd round

Melifonwu isn't making it past pick 35. That showing at the combine skyrocketed his stock which was already grading him as a 2nd round prospect because of the unique size-speed combo. I would love Melifonwu, but he likely won't even make it out of the first round... I like Lamp and Reddick though! Still not sure on Harris. Haven't even gotten to his tape yet

Just now, WarGhost21 said:

Melifonwu isn't making it past pick 35. That showing at the combine skyrocketed his stock which was already grading him as a 2nd round prospect because of the unique size-speed combo. I would love Melifonwu, but he likely won't even make it out of the first round... I like Lamp and Reddick though! Still not sure on Harris. Haven't even gotten to his tape yet

If he doesn't make it out of the 1st, it's ok. There will be plenty of players to take. I'd rather miss out on someone than reach a round. If he goes in the 1st and a team wants him there, they can have him. Rather get Lamp or Reddick.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yep. same here. I just am excited for the draft, only way I'm gonna melt down is if we draft a QB,K/P, WR or a C in the first, I can live with anything else 

If we draft a QB, FB, K, or P in ANY round, I will be in the group setting fire to the forum.  That, the Dude could NOT abide.

:HFire:

We have too many other higher-priority needs for Ballard to be foolish enough to draft any of those positions.  Although I'd probably still rationalize a "backup for luck" or "he's a moving wall of a blocker" or "he's the next Vinatieri/Boomstick" reason for drafting them...  :hide:

22 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Here's my gut feeling:

1. Haason Reddick (ILB)

2. Derek Rivers (OLB)

3. Rasul Douglas (CB)

1. Forest Gump (G)

2. Charles Harris (OLB)
3. Joe Mixon (RB)

I would be absolutely thrilled with the 2nd outcome you have. Lamp would solidify the OL on the right side, Harris would add to an already improved pass rush with Sheard and Simon, and Mixon would give Luck a supremely talented RB to work with. The Offense could be unstoppable with the addition of Lamp and Mixon.

I'd then use all the 4th round picks on secondary help.

16 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Lamp/Reddick 1st round

Charles Harris 2nd round

Melifonwu 3rd round

I think Melifonwu is now safely a top-50 pick.

The only question is whether he's a 1st or 2nd rounder....

That's my read of things in the last three weeks...

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think Melifonwu is now safely a top-50 pick.

The only question is whether he's a 1st or 2nd rounder....

That's my read of things in the last three weeks...

Let a stupid team reach on him. All I have to say. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole in the 1st round. I swear the combine measurables really mess with GM's minds.

40 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Let a stupid team reach on him. All I have to say. Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole in the 1st round. I swear the combine measurables really mess with GM's minds.

I wouldn't want the Colts to take him at 15....    but if I was sitting in the bottom quarter of the first round and I needed help in the secondary,  he'd get serious consideration from me.

And it's not just the Combine....   Melifownu also had a very good Senior Bowl week as well....    his story is similar to Reddick and his story is similar to Jones,  another UConn DB from a few years back who broke a couple of jumping records at the combine and Dallas took him toward the bottom of the 1st.   I don't think they've regretted that decision.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't want the Colts to take him at 15....    but if I was sitting in the bottom quarter of the first round and I needed help in the secondary,  he'd get serious consideration from me.

And it's not just the Combine....   Melifownu also had a very good Senior Bowl week as well....    his story is similar to Reddick and his story is similar to Jones,  another UConn DB from a few years back who broke a couple of jumping records at the combine and Dallas took him toward the bottom of the 1st.   I don't think they've regretted that decision.

It's kinda funny, a lot of people take extreme stances on where players will be drafted, but it's situations like this that cause players to be overdrafted (IMO), and others to fall to us that really shouldn't. Then the forum gets shocked come draft time when said player reaches our pick in the 2nd or 3rd or whatever pick it is. It happens every year and will always happen, that's why I'm a little loose when doing mocks and judging mocks. Just something I'm thinking about, lol.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It's kinda funny, a lot of people take extreme stances on where players will be drafted, but it's situations like this that cause players to be overdrafted (IMO), and others to fall to us that really shouldn't. Then the forum gets shocked come draft time when said player reaches our pick in the 2nd or 3rd or whatever pick it is. It happens every year and will always happen, that's why I'm a little loose when doing mocks and judging mocks. Just something I'm thinking about, lol.

Fair points.....

I remember right after last year's draft,  Grigson came out and said both Green and Clark were borderline 1st rounders for them.      I was more than just a bit surprised.

And then he said that Haeg had a 2nd round grade.      And I think Ridgeway had a 2nd round grade too.

Josh Ferguson was said to have roughly a 4th round grade and they crossed their fingers that he'd be available in Free Agency.

I thought if this draft hits,  then they have some credibility....    but if it misses,  this staff is likely done....

The jury remains out until we see how everyone else besides Kelly turns out....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair points.....

I remember right after last year's draft,  Grigson came out and said both Green and Clark were borderline 1st rounders for them.      I was more than just a bit surprised.

And then he said that Haeg had a 2nd round grade.      And I think Ridgeway had a 2nd round grade too.

Josh Ferguson was said to have roughly a 4th round grade and they crossed their fingers that he'd be available in Free Agency.

I thought if this draft hits,  then they have some credibility....    but if it misses,  this staff is likely done....

The jury remains out until we see how everyone else besides Kelly turns out....

This is just my opinion, but I honestly think Grigson had finally figured out how to draft in his final year as GM. That draft seemed legit and not a fluke. Something people may not agree with (and I will explain), is that I think Grigson got very lucky with TY Hilton, and that pick may of extended him an extra year. We know he likes speed guys (Hilton, Dorsett, Green). Since Hilton was the first of the three, and such a big hit, Grigson got it in his mind that Dorsett and Green would be equal to Hilton, and it didn't work out so far. The last draft he seemed to figure it out though, and it's a bit of a shame we released him right when he started to learn how to draft as a GM.

16 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

My gut tells me it won't be too flashy. Something boring but practical like:

1. Forrest Lamp OG

2. Jarrad Davis ILB

3. Akhello Witherspoon CB 

I wouldn't complain much. They're all needs and decent values at those picks.

That would be a beastly first 2 days of the draft!

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

His tape is a hundred times better than Peppers, and his physical traits are also a lot better. And Pepers is thought to be a lock for the 1st(idk how). So I think Obi can very easily go in the first. 

I was wanting Barnett but I don't think he's going to be there at 15.  I couldn't begin to guess particular players after the 1st round but I think we will get a CB in Round 2 (Kevin King?) and either an Edge or RB in round 3.  In round 1 I more and more get this feeling our pick will be Reuben Foster.  I think that incident at the Combine will make him fall just enough to the Colts and I think they would have a hard time passing him up.