Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts nearly traded up in the second round

chad72

Well if they where going to go after Miles Jack then I'm glad that they didn't get the trade they wanted.

If they where going to go after Spence then I wish they would have.

We have to get a young pass rusher on this team the next draft though.  

I am glad they didn't. I know I said it would be nice to get a second pick in round two, but I have higher hopes for doubling up on pass rushers next year. Gonna be a nice one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 *

Just now, MrNLM said:

I am glad they didn't. I know I said it would be nice to get a second pick in round two, but I have higher hopes for doubling up on pass rushers next year. Gonna be a nice one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

how's next years crop of pass rushers looking?

I know the running back class is supposed to be really deep.

5 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Looks like DE/OLB and RB are going to be deep next year. So going OLine this year and pass rush/RB next year could prove to be very smart. Of course at this point it's all just guessing.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Puke bucket sir?  

Nah....they just didn't suck as bad as the Jags or Cowboys.

Today was a good day man. Then i gotta read an article about how Myles Jack was minutes away from being a Colt :/

27 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

@MrNLM Are you guys changing your names or using the same avatars?

I am not sure I know what you mean...

The avatar is pretty common so maybe someone else is using it too. Is that what you mean?

31 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Uncertain. I dont follow college ball at all so I rely on what I hear here and other sites. It is supposed to be deep.

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Today was a good day man. Then i gotta read an article about how Myles Jack was minutes away from being a Colt :/

Don't let it ruin your day.  Jack could just as well never play in this league as he could be a star.  He is a risk for any team that gets him.  TJ Green is also a risk I suppose but at least he's healthy.

I'm all good with Kelly, but I can't lie and say I don't fight within myself about missing out on Myles Jack.  Especially when we turned around and picked up a linebacker in the 4th round who I like, but he is coming off knee surgery too!  I know it's a little bit of a different situation, but I'm just saying how I feel at times. Oh Well!

9 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Don't let it ruin your day.  Jack could just as well never play in this league as he could be a star.  He is a risk for any team that gets him.  TJ Green is also a risk I suppose but at least he's healthy.

Well, Jack doesn't have an injury at the moment so he's definitely slated to play now. The worry was that he might need microfracture surgery sometime down the road. Like 4-5 years from now. 

45 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

It's loaded. It'll be headlined by Myles Garrett, Carl Lawson, and Jonathan Allen. And there's some other intriguing guys as well.

19 minutes ago, MrNLM said:

I am not sure I know what you mean...

The avatar is pretty common so maybe someone else is using it too. Is that what you mean?

Yeah. I keep seeing the avatar with different members. Maybe I overthought it a little. 

Myles Jack was the best player in the draft. Jaguars capitalized on the overly conservative NFL draft process. GMs are too worried about their, respective, job security to take a "risk" on a Von Miller/Derrick Brooks level talent.

Colts won't enjoy having to deal with Ramsey and Jack for years to come.

P.S. even if Jack only last 3-5 years he'll be better value than 90% of 2nd rounders.

7 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Myles Jack was the best player in the draft. Jaguars capitalized on the overly conservative NFL draft process. GMs are too worried about their, respective, job security to take a "risk" on a Von Miller/Derrick Brooks level talent.

Colts won't enjoy having to deal with Ramsey and Jack for years to come.

P.S. even if Jack only last 3-5 years he'll be better value than 90% of 2nd rounders.

Von Miller level talent?  Did you watch miller at A&M?  Jack and Miller are very far apart in talent and level of play

2 hours ago, MTC said:

So...

Myles Jack/Noah Spence or TJ Green, Le'Raven Clark, Trevor Bates.

Hmmm.

I probably would have wanted Spence or Jack.

Yeah so would I if that was the case. What nobody except myself has seemed to address is how expensive this move would have been

What you have above is the Colts trading pick # 48 and their 4th  and 7th to move up 14 spots to the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. That's 14 spots in the first half of the second round. No way that's even close to what they had to be offering for Dallas to consider the move. Green Bay gave up a 4th and 7th to move up 9 spots in the bottom of the round . The more was probably the Colts 2nd and 3rd in 2016 and a 2017 pick.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

14 spots - hard to believe that would cost anything less than our 2nd and 3rd, especially considering that our offer was ultimately turned down.  Bummer.  Oh well, this draft class still didn't turned out pretty good I think.

Sorry I just said no one but myself has addressed the probable cost of this move. Didn't see your post .

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Von Miller level talent?  Did you watch miller at A&M?  Jack and Miller are very far apart in talent and level of play

Did you watch Myles Jack at UCLA? Yes, he's easily a Von Miller level talent.

I find it funny that you think my comparison to Von Miller is crazy but you seem ok with the Derrick Brooks comparison.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

Did you watch Myles Jack at UCLA? Yes, he's easily a Von Miller level talent.

I find it funny that you think my comparison to Von Miller is crazy but you seem ok with the Derrick Brooks comparison.

I don't remember derrick Brooks in college.    I very much remember Von Miller in college.    He had 17 sack his junior year

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't remember derrick Brooks in college.    I very much remember Von Miller in college.    He had 17 sack his junior year

Myles Jack wasn't a full time rush backer, so he doesn't have the pretty sack #s. But he's a LB who can play any linebacker spot, safety, nickel CB. He's a freak of nature.

So, as far as talent goes, he is on the level with some of the best to play the game, IMO. Without the ridiculous freak out over his knee he is easily a top 10 pick, likely top 5.

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Sorry I just said no one but myself has addressed the probable cost of this move. Didn't see your post .

Looks like we are about on the same page nonetheless.  I'm not entirely against the cost of moving up there, if Dallas were willing to trade, but I definitely wish I had some crystal ball to look into about how his knee plays out.

53 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah so would I if that was the case. What nobody except myself has seemed to address is how expensive this move would have been

What you have above is the Colts trading pick # 48 and their 4th  and 7th to move up 14 spots to the 3rd pick in the 2nd round. That's 14 spots in the first half of the second round. No way that's even close to what they had to be offering for Dallas to consider the move. Green Bay gave up a 4th and 7th to move up 9 spots in the bottom of the round . The more was probably the Colts 2nd and 3rd in 2016 and a 2017 pick.

I offered the 2016 2nd, 3rd, and 7th.

2 hours ago, MTC said:

I offered the 2016 2nd, 3rd, and 7th.

That you did. I keep getting the names of the 3rd and 4th round guys mixed up. Probably would take something from next years draft also but you are correct and I'm wrong.

I think the reason Dallas declined was there were about 10-12 guys that appeared to have very similar value to the bottom part of round 1. Then a pretty good drop off at around pick 15. I'm thinking Grigson did the right thing by trying to trade up and then trading down and getting his guy he liked at 18. Can't ask for more than that.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's loaded. It'll be headlined by Myles Garrett, Carl Lawson, and Jonathan Allen. And there's some other intriguing guys as well.

I was hoping Lawson would come out this year. Myles Garrett is the kind of player you go all Ditka for Ricky for. I would love to get that kid. 

16 hours ago, dw49 said:

Price had to be very high . That would be an expensive move.

It would have been a second and third.

Basically Green, Clark, and Bates for Jack.

History will tell us.

I just like how we are taking fewer risks with our draft picks. I believe Irsay has stepped up and been the voice of reason on how important every draft is.