Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: JPP Severely Injured in Fireworks Accident

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend/coworker of mine took a mortar round to the face last night, more then likely he will be losing his left eye, some damage to the right eye, orbital is destroyed, and a broken nose. Be careful out there folks.

A friend/coworker of mine took a mortar round to the face last night, more then likely he will be losing his left eye, some damage to the right eye, orbital is destroyed, and a broken nose. Be careful out there folks.

That's horrible\]Please let professionals do fireworks displays

That or don't drink until after you set them off. My mom works in the ER.....4 out 5 people coming in for fireworks injuries adult wise are intoxicated to some degree.

This.

Fireworks are dangerous as hell. People set them off drunk all the time on my street and scare the you know what out of me.

I wish they WERE just done by those who know what they are doing and at special events.

This.

Fireworks are dangerous as hell. People set them off drunk all the time on my street and scare the you know what out of me.

I wish they WERE just done by those who know what they are doing and at special events.

As if to underscore the point you're making, Jules....

Here's the story of a young man from Maine...   22 years old...   he and his friends were setting off fireworks and drinking.      Bad, bad combination.     

He thought it would be a good idea to set-off a firework from.....    the top of his head!!

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG!!       (Everything...)

The young man will NOT be celebrating his 23rd birthday.     He was killed instantly.

Here's his tragic story......

http://news.yahoo.com/maine-man-dies-trying-light-firework-head-180739673.html;_ylt=AwrTHQzV6plVihkAdLFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEya3FwMW41BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDQTAxMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-

As if to underscore the point you're making, Jules....

Here's the story of a young man from Maine... 22 years old... he and his friends were setting off fireworks and drinking. Bad, bad combination.

He thought it would be a good idea to set-off a firework from..... the top of his head!!

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG!! (Everything...)

The young man will NOT be celebrating his 23rd birthday. He was killed instantly.

Here's his tragic story......

http://news.yahoo.com/maine-man-dies-trying-light-firework-head-180739673.html;_ylt=AwrTHQzV6plVihkAdLFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEya3FwMW41BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDQTAxMDRfMQRzZWMDc3I-

You know what that is called.....Darwinism

We had a couple of numbnutz near us setting off some pretty big stuff last night...in the parking lot of a gas station! They managed to get off a number of good sized rockets before the workers at the gas station convinced them that it probably wasn't the smartest place to be lighting off fireworks.

you don't need to be a professional, just don't be a drunk * while lighting them off

I don't think we know he had been drinking, do we?  I didn't see anything that suggested alcohol was involved.  I mean, it's a reasonable assumption as lots of people drink on July 4th and the general rule that you shouldn't be drunk when lighting explosives is a good rule to follow.  But just as it pertains to this story, I'm not sure we know that JPP was intoxicated unless there's information out there that I haven't seen yet.

We had a couple of numbnutz near us setting off some pretty big stuff last night...in the parking lot of a gas station! They managed to get off a number of good sized rockets before the workers at the gas station convinced them that it probably wasn't the smartest place to be lighting off fireworks.

At a gas station?????? Are you serious???

How hard is it to light a damn firecracker without blowing a finger off? Me and my friends blew up an unknown quantity of tannerite with AR-15's on the 4th of July, and these people cannot light a frickin' firecracker without injury or death? 

you don't need to be a professional, just don't be a drunk * while lighting them off

Sorry..you DO need to be a professional. Sober people blow body parts off too./

Just go down to the town square or whatever, sit on the grass and watch the fireworks display..

Almost every town has one

Just go down to the town square or whatever, sit on the grass and watch the fireworks display..

Actually you don't. I've been setting off fireworks for 35 years without incident

No not at all...what is required is common sense and a sense of respect over the potential dangers of fireworks.

When I first heard about this today, I wasn't happy at all because the NY Giants are one of my favorite teams to watch all season long & Coughlin will need JPP to demolish the Cowboys in the NFC East. 

Then, I started thinking about dangerous activities for NFL players like Big Ben's motorcycle accident that nearly killed him, bungee jumping, dare devil activities like car racing & personally I've never thought of lighting an explosive device as a recreational activity myself. I value my fingers, limbs, & eye sight too much. 

I sincerely hope JPP is okay with no major nerve damage. Why did he not sign the $60,000,000 dollar deal before hand anyway? It's extremely rare that a defensive pass rusher gets QB money dude. What's wrong with you man? 

I don't think we know he had been drinking, do we? I didn't see anything that suggested alcohol was involved. I mean, it's a reasonable assumption as lots of people drink on July 4th and the general rule that you shouldn't be drunk when lighting explosives is a good rule to follow. But just as it pertains to this story, I'm not sure we know that JPP was intoxicated unless there's information out there that I haven't seen yet.

they are talking about the guy who set a mortar off on his head

Actually you don't. I've been setting off fireworks for 35 years without incident

Maybe it's a cultural thing or a favorite childhood memory to some people & if that's the case with you jvan far be it from me to spoil that cherished past time from your youth. However, fuses or wicks sometimes have a mind of their own & they can go off prematurely or sooner than anticipated. Okay, maybe you're thinking accidents can happen anywhere: jogging outside or driving down the freeway at 75 MPH. True they can & no one should live in fear of death. A valid point. But, cars do come with air bags & most people carry cell phones on them even bystandards who can can 911 if they see someone collapse or complain of chest pains. 

It's hard to dial 911 with your hand blown off & since a person would immediately go into shock there's no guarantee that even if you can use your other hand to dial; you might not be lucid or coherent when you speak to the 911 dispatch person & try to explain your situation either. JMO. 

Yes, I know that JPP still has his hands & fingers attached with only burns currently present. My point is this: JPP is extremely lucky & it could have easily been much worse.  

In fairness to JPP, I have no idea what type of fireworks he had or how potent the explosives he bought actually were. Fireworks just aren't my thing I guess. It's like a guy playing with C4 & then wondering why a tree got blown to smithereens. A person can be safety conscious to their hearts content and tragic results can still unfold unfortunately. 

When I first heard about this today, I wasn't happy at all because the NY Giants are one of my favorite teams to watch all season long & Coughlin will need JPP to demolish the Cowboys in the NFC East. 

Then, I started thinking about dangerous activities for NFL players like Big Ben's motorcycle accident that nearly killed him, bungee jumping, dare devil activities like car racing & personally I've never thought of lighting an explosive device as a recreational activity myself. I value my fingers, limbs, & eye sight too much. 

I sincerely hope JPP is okay with no major nerve damage. Why did he not sign the $60,000,000 dollar deal before hand anyway? It's extremely rare that a defensive pass rusher gets QB money dude. What's wrong with you man? 

Didn't Drew Brees have a stipulation in his contract that he couldn't ride a quad or other ATV? I thought I saw that somewhere. 

My family did fireworks in our backyard when we were kids and I do it now at my own house for the kids and people that come over. You don't need to be a professional. You just need to not be stupid. That's pretty much it.

How hard is it to light a damn firecracker without blowing a finger off? Me and my friends blew up an unknown quantity of tannerite with AR-15's on the 4th of July, and these people cannot light a frickin' firecracker without injury or death?

Now that is a good time. My cousins and I blew some up a few weeks ago

Didn't Drew Brees have a stipulation in his contract that he couldn't ride a quad or other ATV? I thought I saw that somewhere. 

Yeah, I read something similar to that Lollygagger probably even the same article you did. I don't blame owners for having language in contracts placing restrictions on reckless activities given the millions they pay QBs on an annual basis. I'm sure NASA places restrictions on their pilots/scientists before flying to the moon or missions to fix a defective satellite etc. etc. 

I know it's not the same thing as a superstar athlete, but when your employer invests millions in cash to train, mold, & accomplish a mission it's reasonable to assume that necessary precautionary measures be taken. 

I agree with you 100% if the boss is providing me with a comfortable lifestyle & standard of living for my family I'm cool with prohibiting a specific set of dangerous recreational activities in my free time. 

True, if a person doesn't respect the explosive device they are handling, dire consequences can result. A good point. Look, if people enjoy lighting fireworks in their own backyard, that's fine. Like Homer Simpson said in 1 episode on TV, "What better way to celebrate the 4th of July then by blowing up a small piece of America?" I'm kidding of course. I just want my friends to be safe out there that's all. 

Have fun, be careful, & remember: You can't always re-attach what is no longer there. I just know people that go a little bananas when it comes to the biggest bang for their buck. Enough said. 

True, if a person doesn't respect the explosive device they are handling, dire consequences can result. A good point. Look, if people enjoy lighting fireworks in their own backyard, that's fine. Like Homer Simpson said in 1 episode on TV, "What better way to celebrate the 4th of July then by blowing up a small piece of America?" I'm kidding of course. I just want my friends to be safe out there that's all. 

Have fun, be careful, & remember: You can't always re-attach what is no longer there. I just know people that go a little bananas when it comes to the biggest bang for their buck. Enough said. 

I know people like statistics, and when we hear that over 10,000 people visit emergency rooms each year from fireworks injury, it sounds bad. Until we consider that most of those are children who shouldn't have them, and countless millions of people ignite fireworks every year. 

This is getting worse (from ESPN):

Police launch probe into JPP incident

6m

Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul could face charges that include criminal possession of fireworks after the Coral Springs (Fla.) Police Department finishes its investigation, according to NJ.com. JPP injured both hands in a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July.

This is getting worse (from ESPN):

Police launch probe into JPP incident

6m

Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul could face charges that include criminal possession of fireworks after the Coral Springs (Fla.) Police Department finishes its investigation, according to NJ.com. JPP injured both hands in a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July.

Its not getting worse than his hand injuries. He might be fined, but I seriously doubt they do anything at all

I know people like statistics, and when we hear that over 10,000 people visit emergency rooms each year from fireworks injury, it sounds bad. Until we consider that most of those are children who shouldn't have them, and countless millions of people ignite fireworks every year. 

You're probably right ruksak. Nobody documents the firework festivities that take place without incident or an ER visit. It's probably like gun safety training. If you are taught to pay attention to what you are doing without being distracted, the odds of injury do probably drop significantly. A fair point. 

I get what you're driving at: Just because a person buys fireworks, it doesn't automatically mean they are a reckless, demolition nut anymore more than me playing my drums loud means I am a heavy metal dropout who is deaf. What'd you say?! Sorry, SW1 couldn't resist that joke. Translation: Be cautious about believing stereotypes that may not be true. Point taken. 

I just have a healthy respect for fire, lit fuses, & things that go boom as I'm sure you do as well ruksak. I like to watch the experts show me fireworks but I respect the freedom of others to light an explosive on their own something that I would never do in a million years beyond a sparkler or 2 I guess.