Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't Mack say he will hold out and won't play for them then maybe they decide to just let him leave? Just throwing stuff out here lol

He could, but what would he gain by foing so? He wants his money and Cleveland is holding all the cards. Cleveland would have nothing to gain by giving into hid wishes either. I just think thid id a waste of time. Mack id destined to stay in Cleveland whether he really wants to or not.

Couldn't Mack say he will hold out and won't play for them then maybe they decide to just let him leave? Just throwing stuff out here lol

He could, but what would he gain by doing so? He wants his money and Cleveland is holding all the cards. Cleveland would have nothing to gain by giving into hid wishes either. I just think thid id a waste of time. Mack id destined to stay in Cleveland whether he really wants to or not.

He could, but what would he gain by doing so? He wants his money and Cleveland is holding all the cards. Cleveland would have nothing to gain by giving into his wishes either. I just think this is a waste of time. Mack is destined to stay in Cleveland whether he really wants to or not.

I don't know why he wouldn't tell them he didn't want to play there. He obviously doesn't want to be in Cleveland. I don't think they would match if he's just straight up about it. No team wants someone that doesn't want to play for them. That's what I would do if I were him anyway.

No way we get Mack and Decker. We have about 18 million left I believe. Mack will likely cost 10-11 million so that leaves us with 7-8 million

That is why I'm thinking Nicks is the most viable option... and would not demand too much money for a longer contract. Receiver isn't a big need, but would help.

This is what I'm saying. Were wasting a chance to sign one of the other available guys for literally almost 0% chance of getting Mack. Unless Mack just comes out tells Cleveland not to match because he won't play for them, then were wasting our time. BTW, Mack isn't gonna do that.

devil's advocate -- we don't know how hard the Colts are pursuing Mack.  The original report I read said that 4 teams had shown varying levels of interest.  It could have simply been Grigson having a 5 minute conversation with Mack's agent.  Also, no matter how hard they're going after Mack, I'd be very surprised if Grigson put all of his eggs into that basket, especially considering the unlikelihood of it actually happening.  This is all speculation on my part of course.

Making a poison pill of a contract is even easier if history is anything to go by. Read the wikipedia entry on poison pills in transition tag contracts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag#.22Poison_Pills.22

I believe the new CBA prohibits any type of "poison pill" contract now.  Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

I don't know why he wouldn't tell them he didn't want to play there. He obviously doesn't want to be in Cleveland. I don't think they would match if he's just straight up about it. No team wants someone that doesn't want to play for them. That's what I would do if I were him anyway.

I would too. This is why I hate all the tags cause really crappy teams tag there good players all the time and ruin the chance of theses guys getting a chance for a ring

I believe the new CBA prohibits any type of "poison pill" contract now.  Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

They should be but its such a subjective term that there are bound to be creative ways around the CBA rules there. His agent has made statements saying he could structure a contract that the Browns wouldn't match so maybe he knows of one.

So much speculation and outright lies in this thread. 

• Mack has said he does want to stay in Cleveland but wants to see what is out there as well.
  • Mack tried to negotiate a new contract during the season last year, so this whole "he doesn't want to play for them is garbage". 
  • Poison Pills have been taken out, so no, that's out. You offer him a bad contract, you're going to get stuck with it. 
  • Hold out? You mean sit out when you could get $10 this year AT WORST? Just dumb

The lot of you are grasping at straws. I will say this, someone very well could offer Mack an enormous contract that we don't match. That's about the only way he leaves Cleveland, at least this season. 

• Mack has said he does want to stay in Cleveland but wants to see what is out there as well.
  • Mack tried to negotiate a new contract during the season last year, so this whole "he doesn't want to play for them is garbage". 
  • Poison Pills have been taken out, so no, that's out. You offer him a bad contract, you're going to get stuck with it. 
  • Hold out? You mean sit out when you could get $10 this year AT WORST? Just dumb

The lot of you are grasping at straws. I will say this, someone very well could offer Mack an enormous contract that we don't match. That's about the only way he leaves Cleveland, at least this season. 

My scenario isn't a poison pill.

I'm not saying that he hates Cleveland and wants out, but if we offer him a 10-11 million contract to come to a possible super bowl contender, then maybe he would decide he wants to come here over stay in Cleveland, and would voice that to your front office

Go through that link I put earlier.  

You basically need to wait until Cleveland spends a bunch of cash, sign him to a sheet with a big year 1 roster bonus instead of signing bonus so theres a $20M+ cap hit, have the Browns not match, and then renegotiate it to a signing bonus after the time to match has passed.

This makes the most logical sense.  Since they couldn't get a deal done to trade for Revis, wouldn't they throw boatloads at him in FA? Let the Browns keep being the browns and they will spend too much that they can't match.

I would too. This is why I hate all the tags cause really crappy teams tag there good players all the time and ruin the chance of theses guys getting a chance for a ring

what about those crappy teams' chances of winning a ring?  there has to be some provisions to prevent players from just going to whatever team they want.  It's a privilege for them to play in the NFL and earn millions of dollars and there are measures in place to make sure that at some point, each player should get some say in where he plays.

When he and his agent said they think they could structure a contract in a way the Browns couldn't match, that seems like he doesn't want to be there. That's the way I take it anyway. Personally, I think we should just get Dietrich Smith for way less money anyway.

Article 9, Section 3(e)(iii):

Notwithstanding  Subsections  (i)  and  (ii)  above,  no  Offer  Sheet may contain  a  Principal Term  that  would  create  rights  or  obligations  for  the  Old Club  that differ in any  way  (including but not limited  to  the  amount  of compensation  that would be paid, the  circumstances  in  which  compensation  would  be guaranteed,  or  the  circumstances  in which  other  contractual  rights  would  or  would  not  vest)  from  the  rights  or  obligations that  such  Principal  Term  would  create  for  the  Club  extending  the  Offer  Sheet  (i. e.,  no "poison pills").

My scenario isn't a poison pill.

Goodell would destroy a team for something like that. You think they would threaten the Steelers with taking away draft picks for Tomlin stepping on the field and wouldn't destroy a team for a shady deal like that? You're dreaming. Wink, nod, Alex sign this contract and we'll re-negotiate it once the Browns can't do anything about it. 

Providing that Mack would be a major sleezball, which he isn't, even if that did happen, Goodells not just going to turn a blind eye to it. The players union, the CBA, the Owners would all be in an uproar over something that shady and unethical. 

I'm not saying that he hates Cleveland and wants out, but if we offer him a 10-11 million contract to come to a possible super bowl contender, then maybe he would decide he wants to come here over stay in Cleveland, and would voice that to your front office

It's a business, Mack knows that, we're not going to let one of our best players walk on sentiment. No way that happens. 

When he and his agent said they think they could structure a contract in a way the Browns couldn't match, that seems like he doesn't want to be there. That's the way I take it anyway. Personally, I think we should just get Dietrich Smith for way less money anyway.

His agent wants the money! He'll say anything he has to, to get the most money for himself (biggest contract) he gets nothing if Mack signs the tender. 

Another Browns player? OK, I know Mack is a premier C but why are we getting all these Browns players? First Richardson, that's worked out great so far....then Jackson who I'm still not sold on....and now Mack.

Doesn't really matter.  I'd take Mack from the Jags if I could.  :goodluck:

Stephen Holder thinks there's something to these rumors:

So, on Alex Mack... It's murky, and I don't know how realistic it is, but I hear you would be wise to not ignore the smoke. #Colts

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

March 12, 2014

I absolutely believe that the Colts are interested, they should be. The Ravens should be too, both teams need a center badly. 

Like when the Colts used the franchise tag on Manning...... twice? Even after Manning and other players were going to take the NFL to court to get exemptions from franchise tags?

Yeah, I bet you hated tags then.

Posted · Hidden by Blackhawk4, March 12, 2014 - Profanity
Hidden by Blackhawk4, March 12, 2014 - Profanity

Another Browns player? OK, I know Mack is a premier C but why are we getting all these Browns players? First Richardson, that's worked out great so far....then Jackson who I'm still not sold on....and now Mack.

They can't do $h!t with them (or any real player they've gotten in the past 20 years).  We might as well give them a view of success.

I just want one person to explain a logical way for this to happen that the Browns wouldn't match. So far all these other than theories in this thread are just nonsense and not realistic.

Because they didn't give him the franchise tag. Meaning they have reservations about paying him

Yeah they could match any deal, but they obviously have a limit.