Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His body type is very similar to Paul Kruger that Pagano played with at Baltimore, so I think Pagano knows what he is doing.

Maybe they believe that if your front 7 does a good job forcing the issue up front, our OLBs may not need to drop in coverage as much. Besides, that is why they invented 3-3-5 nickel. ;)

I hope that he becomes a Paul Kruger type, and obviously Pagano knows what he is doing. Just an odd pick because he didn't seem to pop up on any of the analysts radars. I did see a story on the NFL network about Werner this afternoon, has kind of a cool story how he got to the NFL.

Mr Grigson and Mr Pagano disagree.

Yep and Polian thought bringing in Collins in such short notice would work........My point? Just because they have the title GM on there name dont make them right.....I like Werner, I think he needs to build some strength and has a ways to go but as a rotational piece we did very good

Bad pick, Werner does not fit our 3 4 defense . He definitely is not a OLB and if they do put him on the end teams are just going to run straight at him and more than likely over him. I know we lost Freeney and need to try and replace him but the Colts are going to expect Werner to drop into coverage and he is just not athletic enough to do that. Very odd pick IMO.

Might want to check out the video of Grigson and Pagano before you state that claim and listen to what they say his role will be, sounds like you know nothing about Werner:

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Grigson--Chuck-Pagano-Discuss-Bjoern-Werner/da065987-18c6-43f6-8cbf-75bfc94fd0ab

I am definitely not psyched about this pick ... didn't we already try the "turn a 4/3 DE into a OLB" experiment with Freeney without great success???  Just don't see trying it again with all the players that were still available and I am guessing at least a couple of offers to trade back. Seeing New England rake in the draft picks a few picks later did not help matters any either.

If OLB was such a pressing need that we had to take Werner in the 1st than we should have further addressed it in Free Agency.

I know Grigson and Pagano are saying this is "their guy" so hopefully I am wrong and Werner is a OLB Beast; but as of right now my faith in Grigson is not quite as high as it was. He needs to hit the rest of this draft out of the park or I think I will question his judgement a little more than I have up until now.

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

3c6651aa-b371-4891-bd22-ef74bea9f9f2_zps

I didn't talk about him at all because of the same thing Grigs said....he knew he wouldn't be there when we picked.

Picture taken with my Iphone on my mag by the computer :thmup:

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

Actually, as War Horse said, anyone who has been following the lead up to the draft knows exactly who he is. Heck, the guy was ACC player of the year. The reason no one was taling about him going to the Colts is that he was being pressented as a 4/3 end. It looks Pags and Grigs etc. think he can flourish in a 3/4 hybrid.

@gregrakestraw: Grigson: Really didn't want anything to do with trading down. Werner was who we wanted. After Minnesota made their pick, it was high fives.

@KBowenColts: Grigson on Werner's film: "He's the first guy off the ball every down. His closing speed is excellent on the film."

@KBowenColts: Grigson said that him and Pagano went down to Florida State to work Werner out. He can play both SAM and RUSH linebacker.

@KBowenColts: Pagano: "He's a dynamic pass rusher. We knew we needed to address that. He was the higheset rated player on the board at the time."

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Werner: "He's an outisde linebacker. He's an edge setter."

I'm not sold. He's not a 3-4 end, and I dunno how well he'll transition to OLB. We signed Walden to the ridiculous deal we did because he's an edge setter, and now we grab this kid who, from the comments above, it seems we have the same intentions for as Walden. 

Did we just trip on our own feet here?

Just seems strange to me.

I think it was two days ago I said and I quote "hes a beast"

If you didn't know who Werner was you didn't pay any attention to the draft process.

I'd be willing to bet that no one had Werner on there top 20 list, if at all. Can you honestly say that you had him on your list for the Colts to pick? I can definitely say that I didn't. That doesn't mean I dont follow the draft process. Again like I said, I can't think of a post in any of the forums that even hinted that he could be a pick for the Colts. If they did, they should go buy a lottery ticket ASAP.

I am definitely not psyched about this pick ... didn't we already try the "turn a 4/3 DE into a OLB" experiment with Freeney without great success???  Just don't see trying it again with all the players that were still available and I am guessing at least a couple of offers to trade back. Seeing New England rake in the draft picks a few picks later did not help matters any either.

If OLB was such a pressing need that we had to take Werner in the 1st than we should have further addressed it in Free Agency.

I know Grigson and Pagano are saying this is "their guy" so hopefully I am wrong and Werner is a OLB Beast; but as of right now my faith in Grigson is not quite as high as it was. He needs to hit the rest of this draft out of the park or I think I will question his judgement a little more than I have up until now.

Freeney was playing with his hand in the ground the vast majority of the time....I don't think his season had anything to with OLB following his name.

I'd be willing to bet that no one had Werner on there top 20 list, if at all. Can you honestly say that you had him on your list for the Colts to pick? I can definitely say that I didn't. That doesn't mean I dont follow the draft process. Again like I said, I can't think of a post in any of the forums that even hinted that he could be a pick for the Colts. If they did, they should go buy a lottery ticket ASAP.

A lot of people did being he was a top 10 pick all the way up until he ran a 4.8 40 time then he dropped to late first where we got him

Because he was expected to go earlier.. Again, as was stated, you didn't pay much attention to the draft process..

What do you know Mel Kiper 1st mock had Werner #6 to the Browns

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/blog/mel-kiper-releases-his-2013-nfl-mock-draft-1-0/

Mcshay had Werner #2 to Jags in his second mock

Mayock's #1 DE is Bjoern Werner

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000146289/article/mike-mayock-alters-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

I stated more than once I had no idea who the Colts would take. And yes, he was mentioned several times in the draft section...some liked him, some didn't.

Ever heard of Lindy's Sports? They sell millions of draft mags?

They had him going #2 overall. Not sure about all those here saying who? Makes me wonder how much most of the commenters here actually study. Not saying that is what you meant, but if you don't know who he is, I don't know how to help.

3c6651aa-b371-4891-bd22-ef74bea9f9f2_zps

I asked who, but that's mostly because I don't follow the college game lol. I let you guys do the heavy lifting.

Pretty sure Grigson knows more than us. I'd trust his football knowledge if your not convinced it's a great pick. Personally, I was real high on this guy early but never really talked about him because so many people on this board didn't seem to want him. Probably mentioned him in 1 or 2 posts. Love the pick, Go Colts. 

He doesn't fit our defense at all. I honestly dont like the pick. Especially with Rhodes and patterson there.

Funny how people can tell Pagano who fits HIS defense and who doesn't, obviously Pagano feels he does or he wouldn't had picked him for HIS defense

Because he was expected to go earlier.. Again, as was stated, you didn't pay much attention to the draft process..

Thats not a valid answer there were plenty of people who were almost guaranteed to go earlier who everyone coveted and was talking how they hope they dropped.  Cooper, Warmack, even Mingo were mentioned as "hope they drops" on multiple threads and they were all "expected to go earlier" as well

He doesn't fit our defense at all. I honestly dont like the pick. Especially with Rhodes and patterson there.

I honestly have no idea why you expected a WR. You set yourself up for that disappointment. DHB is our draft pick WR for this year. And Toler is our #2 CB. A better pass rush = a better secondary

He wasn't my 1st choice with the who was still available (I was really hoping for Rhodes or Jamar Taylor or Damontre Moore) but to say he does not fit our scheme is a bit of a stretch. We dont run a regular 3-4 defense or a base 3-4 defense, we run a Multipel defense...we give multiple looks which is one of the reasons why guys like Suggs, Kruger, Mathis all have had some success (keep in mind Mathis has only been in it for a year) in it they are able to put there hand in the dirt still if thats what the play calls for and Werner is better at playing the run then Freeney

Unrelated, but Willie McGinest called it one of the worst or questionable picks of the first round (which I'm fine with his opinion), but his reasoning was weird. He said the Colts were inactive in the offseason, which is a bizarre, almost blind observation. I can hear criticism about how well they signed guys, but inactive?

The concern over rather or not he can play 3-4 OLB is fine, but I didn't understand the inactive part.

I think McGinest is one of the weaker analysts in NFLN's line-up.

I don't think he does much homework, and I think the comments you say he made prove it.....

just heard Willie Mcghinest break down our pick at 24 and call me bias but I think alot of people underestimate our pick. To me he is a good fit, Did I see us taking him now. No, I didnt but I wont Judge the power of Grigs or Pags. This is a player the wanted and to me, we dont have a second pick so, they took a player that wont be there come the third. If you want to sit and think of it that way, I think with the 24 pick they said who will be gone that is a need to us come the third, well this guy is one of them 

Bad pick, Werner does not fit our 3 4 defense . He definitely is not a OLB and if they do put him on the end teams are just going to run straight at him and more than likely over him. I know we lost Freeney and need to try and replace him but the Colts are going to expect Werner to drop into coverage and he is just not athletic enough to do that. Very odd pick IMO.

Thanks,  Bubba....

It's a good thing Grigson wasn't an NFL lineman and Pagano wasn't a successful NFL D-Coordinator.

Oh wait.    They were.        :facepalm:

I think McGinest is one of the weaker analysts in NFLN's line-up.

I don't think he does much homework, and I think the comments you say he made prove it.....

Plus, he was a Patriot. Analysts that are former Patriots take a shot at us any chance they get. haha