Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@gregrakestraw: Grigson: Really didn't want anything to do with trading down. Werner was who we wanted. After Minnesota made their pick, it was high fives.

@KBowenColts: Grigson on Werner's film: "He's the first guy off the ball every down. His closing speed is excellent on the film."

@KBowenColts: Grigson said that him and Pagano went down to Florida State to work Werner out. He can play both SAM and RUSH linebacker.

@KBowenColts: Pagano: "He's a dynamic pass rusher. We knew we needed to address that. He was the higheset rated player on the board at the time."

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Werner: "He's an outisde linebacker. He's an edge setter."

@gregrakestraw: Grigson: Really didn't want anything to do with trading down. Werner was who we wanted. After Minnesota made their pick, it was high fives.

@KBowenColts: Grigson on Werner's film: "He's the first guy off the ball every down. His closing speed is excellent on the film."

@KBowenColts: Grigson said that him and Pagano went down to Florida State to work Werner out. He can play both SAM and RUSH linebacker.

@KBowenColts: Pagano: "He's a dynamic pass rusher. We knew we needed to address that. He was the higheset rated player on the board at the time."

@KBowenColts: Pagano on Werner: "He's an outisde linebacker. He's an edge setter."

Was he lower rated than Jerry Hughes?

Hmm... that's a darn good question. I like the pick, although it seems no one in the chat does. But I think there's a 60-40 chance Werner starts over Walden.

Yea, we got Toler, and Davis, with Butler in the slot, if Werner and Mathis can get pressure with Walden setting the edge, we can be a very good defense IMO

Pick analysis says he's like Kruger. Not sure if that is good or bad. Seems pretty high pick for a Kruger

I dont see how he's like Kruger outside of skin color and they look somewhat similar in pads...which is probably what the analyst is basing their comparison off honestly if i had to guess.

Kruger had 3 and 7 sacks in his junior and senior year respectively...Werner had 13 last year alone.

Werner was an elite pass rusher the past two years. He is a much more natural pass rusher coming out of college than Kruger was.

Pagano:  "He's a Dynamic pass rusher.  We Knew we needed to address that.  He was the highest rated player on the board at the time."

Remember the Colts board does not equal everyone here or ESPN's or the NFL Networks.

Before you slam them for it ask yourself who do you trust more Grigson and Pagano or Kiper a guy that had a thread a day ago who people were making fun of him?

Thats not a good comparison, IMO. Unflattering.

He is not really like Kruger as I mentioned above. Trust me ive seen Bjoern wreak havoc many a time watching FSU games and I remember Kruger when he came out of Utah.

Werner is a better player coming out of college than Kruger was.

Everyone sees the same thing differently....

While NFL.com says his motor runs hot and cold....   Scouts Inc on ESPN.com says his motor is non-stop.....

Here is his profile....    I think you'll like the vast majority of it.....

Overall Football Traits
Production 1 2010: (14/0) 20-6-3.5 2011: (13/13) 37-11-72012: (14/14) 42-18-13 Career: 17 PBU, 3 FF, 3 FR Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height and bulk. Is well proportioned with a strong, sturdy frame. Top-end speed is average (4.83 in combine 40), as is his 10-yard split (1.71). Also right on the five-year combine average for DE arm length (33.2) and hand span (9.5). Durability 1 Had ankle injury playing soccer in high school but has been very durable throughout college career. Played all 41 games (27 starts) during three seasons at FSU. Intangibles 2 Born and raised in Berlin Germany. Originally played soccer growing up before suffering an ankle injury and switching to Football. A German exchange student that played just two years of high school football in Connecticut. Has a businesslike personality. Leads by example. Quiet, even-keeled and mature. Hard worker both on the field and in the weight room. Married to Denise Werner.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Defensive End Specific Traits
Pass Rush Skills 2 First step quickness is above-average but not in the upper echelon level. However, excellent snap anticipation and consistently gets a quick jump. Is a speed-to-power rusher who does a very good job of getting under the offensive tackles' pads. Comes off the ball with good pad level and displays violent, quick and heavy hands to rock blockers back on their heels when converting speed-to-power. Shows very good core strength. While he lacks elite suddenness he shows good body control as a rusher. He can dip his inside shoulder and run a tight loop when gaining the edge on offensive tackles. Also flashes finishing strength in this area. Instincts are improving but still room for development in this area. Closing burst is above-average but not great. Relentless in pursuit. Versus the run 2 Comes off the ball with good pad level and natural leverage. Stout at the point of attack and can stack blockers and work down the line of scrimmage when having edge responsibility. Overall anchor is adequate but can continue to get stronger. Flashes ability to draw to stalemate working against double teams. Strong and heavy handed and uses them well in combat to shed blocks and redirect. Instincts are still developing in this area and will peek inside on occasion and leave the edge vulnerable. Lateral agility and closing burst are adequate providing him with good overall range. Strong tackler and flashes ability to deliver a heavy hit when able to line up ball carriers. Versatility 3 Best fit appears to be LDE in a base 4-3 scheme. Can line up as a 34 OLB but will have too many athletic limitations. If able to continue to add bulk to frame, he has enough length and natural strength to line up as an inside nickel/dime rusher from time-to-time. Instincts/Motor 1 Plays with a lunch pail mentality. Not a fiery or emotional player on the field but plays with a non-stop motor. Seems like he's on the field 95-percent of FSU's defensive plays in 2012, and he almost never slows down. Shows good fight at the point of attack and works to get off blocks. Consistently giving second effort on plays and chasing in pursuit.

I'm guessing he wasn't on anyone's mock draft, huh?

He wasn't on mine because I didn't think we'd get a chance at him. I watched a ton of games in 2011 and started watching FSU to check out Rhodesbut Werner jumped out immediately. Guy can definitely be a game changer. Great pass rusher and good against the run.

Before the combine he was a top 5-10 pick. He has a bad workout and falls to us. We got a fantastic value IMO.

He doesn't seem athletic enough to play 34 OLB. A little too stiff.

Thats my only concern. I love the pick because he is a naturual pass rusher and we need more of them...but he may not be well suited to play in space which a 3-4 OLB will be asked to do at times.

We'll see. I think he will be very useful for us even if he's more of a situational guy at DE.