Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least now we don't have to worry about Eric Whalden being the team's sole answer for replacing Freeney.  Colts snapped him up quickly so they obviously got the guy they wanted.  Griggs track record is good so far so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  

Looks like he's used to playing on the same side as Mathis most snaps. wander if they'll rotate.

FSU moved their ends all over the place. Werner played on the left and right side, and with his hand on the ground and standing up.

Well at least now we don't have to worry about Eric Whalden being the team's sole answer for replacing Freeney.  Colts snapped him up quickly so they obviously got the guy they wanted.  Griggs track record is good so far so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  

I don't think Whalden was ever expected to replace Freeney.  I think he was brought in to help sure up the run defense.  I think the Werner pick says they didn't think they had Freeney's replacement on the roster and might not mean good things for Jerry Hughes.

With Rhodes on the board, I was surprised to hear Werner's name.

But I hear very good things about him and is versatile and also makes me feel safer about the strong side of the defense.

I would liked to have gotten Rhodes but we just didnt have enough pass rushers on the roster. Outside of Mathis we dont appear to have much.

So who starts? Walden or Werner?

That's what training camp and preseason is for. Hoping Werner starts like Nick perry did in GB with walden spelling him. Because werner does it all, plays the run, packs a punch, pass rush well, bats passes, non stop hustle guy

From mike mayock -

"I think he's really a good fit for Chuck Pagano. Very similar player by the name of (Paul) Kruger that he drafted in the second round when he was with the Baltimore Ravens. He will thrive in a Chuck Pagano system."

Pagano, Grigson, and Mayock like him good enough for me.

I don't think Whalden was ever expected to replace Freeney.  I think he was brought in to help sure up the run defense.  I think the Werner pick says they didn't think they had Freeney's replacement on the roster and might not mean good things for Jerry Hughes.

Yeah...well Whalden's addition allowed the Colts to move Mathis to Freeney's spot which is a better fit for him.  Whalden would have  still been starting and setting the edge on the other side and left something to be desired in terms of our overall pass rush in my opinion.  With this Bjorn dude, he at least gives us more of a pass rush presence potentially.  I definitely agree that this all doesn't bode well for Hughes.

Gil Brandt has been evaluating college talent for many years and has a fairly impressive track record. Here's his assessment of Werner's pro day work out:    Bjoern Werner DE (6-3 ¾, 261 pounds) — He kept everything he did at the combine. He looked outstanding in the positional drills. Werner is a very, very good athlete.  I would imagine that someone who grew up playing soccer, probably is a pretty good athlete in terms of coordination, footwork and quickness.

The Colts had this pick in in less than 30 seconds after the Vikings picked at 23. Grigson had this guy in mind for sure.

You have to imagine Chuck has a lot of say in the D players selected. He must like what this guy can do defensively.

Pagano said the plan is to line Werner up opposite Mathis is passing situations and “tell him to sic ‘em.”

“High motor. Big, strong, good get-off. His ceiling is enormous,’’ he said.

General manager Ryan Grigson also was quick to praise his newest defensive talent.

“He’s a (heck) of a football player,” he said. “Thirteen sacks, ACC Player of the Year. Put on the film and he jumps off the screen at you.

“This guy is productive, plays hard. He fits coach’s mold.”

interesting pick. didnt really think of werner that much. seems to guy can play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. my guess is walden will start for run support then on 3rd and passing downs we bring in werner. looks like colts dont think much of hughes.

Here's Werner's profile from Scouts Inc at ESPN.com....

There's a lot to like here....    and now, ESPN/NFL.com and Pro Football Weekly have all graded Werner to be in their top-25 players of this draft....

Overall Football Traits
Production 1 2010: (14/0) 20-6-3.5 2011: (13/13) 37-11-72012: (14/14) 42-18-13 Career: 17 PBU, 3 FF, 3 FR Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height and bulk. Is well proportioned with a strong, sturdy frame. Top-end speed is average (4.83 in combine 40), as is his 10-yard split (1.71). Also right on the five-year combine average for DE arm length (33.2) and hand span (9.5). Durability 1 Had ankle injury playing soccer in high school but has been very durable throughout college career. Played all 41 games (27 starts) during three seasons at FSU. Intangibles 2 Born and raised in Berlin Germany. Originally played soccer growing up before suffering an ankle injury and switching to Football. A German exchange student that played just two years of high school football in Connecticut. Has a businesslike personality. Leads by example. Quiet, even-keeled and mature. Hard worker both on the field and in the weight room. Married to Denise Werner.
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Defensive End Specific Traits
Pass Rush Skills 2 First step quickness is above-average but not in the upper echelon level. However, excellent snap anticipation and consistently gets a quick jump. Is a speed-to-power rusher who does a very good job of getting under the offensive tackles' pads. Comes off the ball with good pad level and displays violent, quick and heavy hands to rock blockers back on their heels when converting speed-to-power. Shows very good core strength. While he lacks elite suddenness he shows good body control as a rusher. He can dip his inside shoulder and run a tight loop when gaining the edge on offensive tackles. Also flashes finishing strength in this area. Instincts are improving but still room for development in this area. Closing burst is above-average but not great. Relentless in pursuit. Versus the run 2 Comes off the ball with good pad level and natural leverage. Stout at the point of attack and can stack blockers and work down the line of scrimmage when having edge responsibility. Overall anchor is adequate but can continue to get stronger. Flashes ability to draw to stalemate working against double teams. Strong and heavy handed and uses them well in combat to shed blocks and redirect. Instincts are still developing in this area and will peek inside on occasion and leave the edge vulnerable. Lateral agility and closing burst are adequate providing him with good overall range. Strong tackler and flashes ability to deliver a heavy hit when able to line up ball carriers. Versatility 3 Best fit appears to be LDE in a base 4-3 scheme. Can line up as a 34 OLB but will have too many athletic limitations. If able to continue to add bulk to frame, he has enough length and natural strength to line up as an inside nickel/dime rusher from time-to-time. Instincts/Motor 1 Plays with a lunch pail mentality. Not a fiery or emotional player on the field but plays with a non-stop motor. Seems like he's on the field 95-percent of FSU's defensive plays in 2012, and he almost never slows down. Shows good fight at the point of attack and works to get off blocks. Consistently giving second effort on plays and chasing in pursuit.

Bjeorn Werner seems like a great pick to me, what is our weakness of D now? Pass rush? We got Werner and Mathis, pass coverage? We got Davis, Toler, and Butler, so not a big weakness at all, run D? We got Franklin, Conner, Angerer, Freeman, Landry, and Walden, amazing to say after last year, our D has no glaring weakness

I love this pick. I've been saying all along that we need a better pass rush. Werner is a fantastic pass rusher, who can bat balls down and has the ball skills to be a OLB. Now we get a corner in the 3rd.

tyrann mathieu?

I dont see how he's like Kruger outside of skin color and they look somewhat similar in pads...which is probably what the analyst is basing their comparison off honestly if i had to guess.

Kruger had 3 and 7 sacks in his junior and senior year respectively...Werner had 13 last year alone.

Werner was an elite pass rusher the past two years. He is a much more natural pass rusher coming out of college than Kruger was.

This exactly I see no comparison besides skin color