Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner first round pick (merge)

GoColts8818

I have a feeling he'll be gone by the third. Based off of this interesting draft, though, anything could happen I suppose.

this is without a doubt the weirdest (yes I know thats not a word) first round ever.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unrelated, but Willie McGinest called it one of the worst or questionable picks of the first round (which I'm fine with his opinion), but his reasoning was weird. He said the Colts were inactive in the offseason, which is a bizarre, almost blind observation. I can hear criticism about how well they signed guys, but inactive?

The concern over rather or not he can play 3-4 OLB is fine, but I didn't understand the inactive part.

I'm a fan of Werner, an besides- if Pagano gives him the seal of approval, that's good enough for me. The man knows how to run a defense, and if Werner didn't have what it takes to excel here, there's no way he'd have gotten the thumbs up. I'm usually not one to follow a coach blindly, but once a guy gets to a certain level where it's clear he has an area of expertise, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Bad pick, Werner does not fit our 3 4 defense . He definitely is not a OLB and if they do put him on the end teams are just going to run straight at him and more than likely over him. I know we lost Freeney and need to try and replace him but the Colts are going to expect Werner to drop into coverage and he is just not athletic enough to do that. Very odd pick IMO.

They got the pick in fast so they must really like him

Not sure how I feel about him, but it says a lot that it only took about 30 seconds to make the pick.  Looks like he was the guy they targeted when there's no hesitation like that.

Where does the info I keep seeing about how fast we made the pick come from?  I am not sure how long it took, but it was not that fast (definitely not 30 seconds) ... best I can remember one of the times it showed the commentators with the Colts clock in the back ground it was already ticking down around 5--6 minutes (maybe someone who DVR'd it can check). So I definitely do not think the pick was made that fast.

Bad pick, Werner does not fit our 3 4 defense . He definitely is not a OLB and if they do put him on the end teams are just going to run straight at him and more than likely over him. I know we lost Freeney and need to try and replace him but the Colts are going to expect Werner to drop into coverage and he is just not athletic enough to do that. Very odd pick IMO.

His body type is very similar to Paul Kruger that Pagano played with at Baltimore, so I think Pagano knows what he is doing.

Maybe they believe that if your front 7 does a good job forcing the issue up front, our OLBs may not need to drop in coverage as much. Besides, that is why they invented 3-3-5 nickel. ;)

We got Luck on our side... and pick number 24 is usually a very lucky pick. I for one know very little of Mr. Werner, but from all that I have read he seems like a great player and guy. We can all rest assured that Chuck Pagano and the gang know what they are doing. If he turns out to be anywhere near as good as JJ Watt whom Gruden brought up everything will be dandy.

Love it!

NFP's got him 5th overall. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html

NFL.com had him as their 3rd best D-Lineman. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bjoern-werner?id=2540141

His tape looks pretty good to me. I think the reason people don't like his fit as a 3-4 OLB is because of the misguided idea that 3-4 OLBs are dropping in coverage regularly. If he's playing the strong side, he'll probably be staying home and taking on the blocking TE against the run. If he's playing the weak side, he'll play the run on his way to the QB. On Nickel downs, he's lined up on the blind side, Mathis is lined up on his familiar front side. He is not going to be covering TEs down the seam.

Trust me, with what Grigson has said about the guy, and as fast as he selected him, this guy is going to be a baller for us.

Again who? :lol:

Ever heard of Lindy's Sports? They sell millions of draft mags?

They had him going #2 overall. Not sure about all those here saying who? Makes me wonder how much most of the commenters here actually study. Not saying that is what you meant, but if you don't know who he is, I don't know how to help.

3c6651aa-b371-4891-bd22-ef74bea9f9f2_zps

How often does Terrell Suggs drop into coverage? Demarcus Ware? Not very often.....

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

This board has been clamoring for a pass rusher for weeks...

There are tons of threads talking about area of greatest need, almost every post brings up pass rusher as an area of need...

Grigs gets his highest ranked player left on the board, a guy they were high on who fills an area of need...

Sounds like a good pick to me...

Colts won't get good grades from the analysts because of the limited picks & analysts "Forgetting" about Grigs FA moves...

Anyways, I like the pick, someone get the man directions to the Ratskeller...

The 3/4 switch seems to be the issue, but no one knows what would work in their system better than the guys who picked him, so that eleviates much of my concern.

Ever heard of Lindy's Sports? They sell millions of draft mags?

They had him going #2 overall. Not sure about all those here saying who? Makes me wonder how much most of the commenters here actually study. Not saying that is what you meant, but if you don't know who he is, I don't know how to help.

I don't get into the draft honestly. And outside of teams, I know zero of college football. Just not that really into except a Florida or Penn state game.

Hope he is turns out to what they are hoping him to be. I just never heard his name before.

I think it's funny how so many posters in all the different forums this one included think this is a good pick, but less than 3 hours ago nobody and I mean nobody had any idea who this player was. I might be wrong but I can't think of 1 post from any of the forums that have mentioned this player at all.

If you didn't know who Werner was you didn't pay any attention to the draft process.

I am excited about Werner from what I have seen. Mayock spoke highly of him, which was nice to hear. His sack totals and batted passes from last season are impressive. There's no question he has a motor and can get after the QB, but his drop skills remain to be seen. If anyone can coach him up it is Chuck. I think he has a high ceiling too. As I said in another post, this kid was "Bjoern" to get after the QB.