Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Jags would trade MJD?And would the Colts be interested?

GoodLuck

Jags be STUPID to trade him, he is their ONLY Offensive weapon. That said if they did they want at least a 1st round pick if not more. IMO the Colts should pass on that they need more than an aging RB.

Nobody would give them a 1. Maybe a 2 and a 3. Or 2 2s.

But even that might be too much

Nobody would give them a 1. Maybe a 2 and a 3. Or 2 2s.

But even that might be too much

I agree GoodLuck but that is what they would ASK for... and I think RB in this era of football are plug and play the day of a workhorse RB are gone.. MJD A dying breed.

Jags be STUPID to trade him, he is their ONLY Offensive weapon. That said if they did they want at least a 1st round pick if not more. IMO the Colts should pass on that they need more than an aging RB.

I disagree with this. If they can get the right price, it would be wise to trade him. He is under a non-rookie contract, and fighting them for more money. They are not in a position to give him more money. If they want to make the most of the Gabbert pick, he needs to stand out.

If the Jags could get a 1st, a 3rd, and a 4th, that could go a long way in improving their team long term. MJD is likely good for the next three years, maybe one or two more. The Jaguars have a long way to go to be good. If they can get something now for MJD, it would be a wise move.

IF the Jags get rid of MJD, then there's no point in us playing them Twice a year. Cause who's gonna lead the team? Gabbert? :lol:

I don't see this happening. But in all Reality, MJD is only hurting himself. Organizations these days are treating their STAR players like garbage now. I understand what they're doing to him is just wrong seeing how he's 95% of that offense. But when you hold out like this missing TC, Games, Film Study, Etc. ... you're only hurting yourself. I don't see him playing a full season if he does come back. He's behind now. So either he won't play a full season due to injury, or he'll have a slump year like CJ2K did last year

IF the Jags get rid of MJD, then there's no point in us playing them Twice a year. Cause who's gonna lead the team? Gabbert? :lol:

I don't see this happening. But in all Reality, MJD is only hurting himself. Organizations these days are treating their STAR players like garbage now. I understand what they're doing to him is just wrong seeing how he's 95% of that offense. But when you hold out like this missing TC, Games, Film Study, Etc. ... you're only hurting yourself. I don't see him playing a full season if he does come back. He's behind now. So either he won't play a full season due to injury, or he'll have a slump year like CJ2K did last year

Dear God...

No, the asking price would be to high and if you double the amount of carries that Donald Brown should have got last year (because of awful QB play most of the season) then he would have been a top 5 Back, and by the way if you give Brown the number of carries Jones Drew got then Brown has the rushing title just take 268 (double the amount of runs he had to see he would have been a top 5 back) and multiply by his ypc which was slightly higher then Maurice Jones drews, By the way Donald Brown only got 8.3 carries per game which is hardly any carries to do anything with

I bet he would love a new team

I'm sure he would, but that new team has a zero percent chance of being the Colts. In most if not all situations like this if

the team decides to trade the player they would not trade him to an inter divisional rival. Instead they would trade him to

a team somewhere outside of the division if not to another conference which in this case would be to a team in the NFC.

dont need him could some one tell me the last time the best rb or one of them won a Super Bowl , u don't need great rb to win Super Bowl just two serviceable ones that don't really fumble an can pass block a little bad investment

Several things in this thread to address.

1) MJD has infinitely more value to the Jags than to any other team so therefore...

2) No team is going to give up a first round pick for a RB with as many miles on him as MJD does

3) He will most certainly not be traded to the Colts - why would the Jags want to face him twice a year

4) The Jags are doing MJD wrong?!?! How exactly are they doing that - by asking him to honor the contract that he signed and that still has 2 years left on it?

5) MJD has no leverage here.

dont need him could some one tell me the last time the best rb or one of them won a Super Bowl , u don't need great rb to win Super Bowl just two serviceable ones that don't really fumble an can pass block a little bad investment

Marshall Faulk, Dont need a great running back I agree certainly but you asked lol

1) MJD has infinitely more value to the Jags than to any other team so therefore...

2) No team is going to give up a first round pick for a RB with as many miles on him as MJD does

3) He will most certainly not be traded to the Colts - why would the Jags want to face him twice a year

4) The Jags are doing MJD wrong?!?! How exactly are they doing that - by asking him to honor the contract that he signed and that still has 2 years left on it?

Agree on all points except I believe he has leverage, not alot as far as 1,2,3,4 but he as the ultimate leverage and that is that he was there offense last year but with that said I bet if there backup gets plenty of carries this year he will do good enough, They can always draft a running back next year to replace MJD if needed but MJD isnt going anywhere

I think the Colts would be interested (who wouldn't be interested in adding the league's leading rusher to your roster?), but I don't think the Jags will trade him.

I doubt the Colts have enough room under the cap to be interested this year, unless a trade involved Freeney.

I'm sure he would love a new team, but he is the bridge between the the team and the fans right now. Someone soon will have to step up and take his place as the 'star' or that team will be shipping itself out to LA via FedEx.

Agree with the first 3.

4. NFL is to give and take to simply say "honor the contract". If he had 500yds and 3 tds last year you don't think Jac would be asking for $ back? Or just cutting him. He plays the shortest life span position in the NFL. He's arguably the best one in the league at that position. I can't fault the guy for wanting to be paid what other, lesser accomplished RBs are being paid.

5. At the end of the day, no player in the NFL has leverage. They all can be and will be replaced. But if anyone in the league has leverage it would be this guy. When your widely regarded as the lone bright spot in a black hole, you have what little leverage is avail.

If he were asking to be the highest paid RB in the league, or is the highest paid and wants even more,I think that would be one thing, (Revis comes to mind in this regard, what a chump) but he's just asking for a raise. Not to be the highest paid.

I doubt the Colts have enough room under the cap to be interested this year, unless a trade involved Freeney.

Apparently we have a fair bit of cap space in the upcoming seasons, so I don't think that would be an issue. I just don't see the Jags trading him to a division opponent while he is still in his prime, especially a division opponent who has a young team and could build to be dominant in a few years

Agree with the first 3.

4. NFL is to give and take to simply say "honor the contract". If he had 500yds and 3 tds last year you don't think Jac would be asking for $ back? Or just cutting him. He plays the shortest life span position in the NFL. He's arguably the best one in the league at that position. I can't fault the guy for wanting to be paid what other, lesser accomplished RBs are being paid.

5. At the end of the day, no player in the NFL has leverage. They all can be and will be replaced. But if anyone in the league has leverage it would be this guy. When your widely regarded as the lone bright spot in a black hole, you have what little leverage is avail.

If he were asking to be the highest paid RB in the league, or is the highest paid and wants even more,I think that would be one thing, (Revis comes to mind in this regard, what a chump) but he's just asking for a raise. Not to be the highest paid.

Understand teams many times fail to live up to the contract they signed a player to. But I simply have no sympathy for players who sign front-loaded contracts and then complain (hold out) for more when on the back end of that deal pays them less than their value. But having said that, I don't blame MJD for trying to get more by the method he is using - that is his only option. In this thread I was specifically contradicting something that Tknight had said that the Jags were doing him wrong and they simply are doing no such thing.

And I completely maintain that MJD has no leverage. The team cannot redo a contract for a guy that still has 2 years left and as you said yourself, plays a position with a short lifespan. If they cave to him, they set a precedent for others to try the same ploy. Plus the days of a RB being a team's workhorse are coming to an end. heck, he missed the last games of the 2010 season when they still had a shot at winning the division. I was shocked when the Bears gave a big contract to Forte and he is younger than MJD.

Agree on all points except I believe he has leverage, not alot as far as 1,2,3,4 but he as the ultimate leverage and that is that he was there offense last year but with that said I bet if there backup gets plenty of carries this year he will do good enough, They can always draft a running back next year to replace MJD if needed but MJD isnt going anywhere

Isn't this entire point you are making one giant contradiction? He has leverage but his back up will get carries and do good enough? He has leverage but they can draft an RB next year to replace him but he is not going anywhere? And he is not going anywhere why? Because he has no leverage.

It depends can we get him for link? If not then I'd probably pass. Also no I don't really expect us to be able to trade link for him. I was just using that as an example of if the right deal presented its self I'd say yes but odds are the right deal won't and I doubt the jags would trade him within the division if they even wanted to trade him.

Teams with a premier running back in his 2nd or 3rd contract suffer a huge salary cap disadvantage. A premier QB is much more important in todays NFL. And no team can afford to pay both. The Colts had to let James walk because they wanted to retain Manning and Harrison, but couldn't afford to pay all three. If the Colts want to build a 10 or 12 year dynasty now, they cannot afford a premier running back beyond a rookie contract. They've got to be able to pay for at least a decent defense, and good receivers. It is best to settle for a "good enough" running game.

MJD is a really good back, but I don't want him. His issue with the Jags is his contract, and I wouldn't be jumping at the chance to pay him market value on a new deal. I certainly wouldn't want to trade anything of value for a running back.

I take a very Moneyball approach to running backs over the past two or three years. If MJD is good for 2000 all purpose yards and 14 total touchdowns in 360-380 touches (5.3 yards per touch, 27 touches per touchdown), then I want to get that kind of production out of my stable of backs. Last year, our backs combined for about 1650 all purpose yards, 8 touchdowns, in 390 touches (4.2 yards per touch, 49 touches per touchdown). That's with terrible quarterbacking, a bad offensive line, and horrible 3rd down conversions. I think we can approach MJD's production with a running back platoon of Donald Brown and Co.

Now for the contract: MJD has am $8.3 million cap hit in 2012. If we traded for him, we'd pay his base salary of $4.45 million, and that would be his cap hit (the prorated bonus stays with the Jags). However, the reason for his holdout is that he wants a new contract that's more in line with market value for backs of his stature. Let's just say he wants a contract like Ray Rice, five years, $35 million, $15 million signing bonus. Rice's cap hit for 2012 is $5 million, and it accelerates each year, with a high of $8.75 million in 2014. If we did that deal for MJD, he'd be 32 years old by the time it ends.

If we keep Brown, Carter, Ballard and Moore, the combined cap hit for all three is $3.1 million. We can get MJD's production for $2 million less per year. And that's not including his signing bonus, or the cost of his backups. Add in the fact that the NFL is a passing league now, and I don't see the sense is going out of your way to pay twice as much for a running back that's not going to last through the length of the contract. If we happened to draft a back that turns out to be a star player like MJD, and he were to turn out to be a huge part of our offense, I'd be okay with keeping him around on that kind of deal. But not trading away assets to a divisional opponent for a smallish 27 year old back that's already taken six years of beatings in the NFL.

Long story short -- too late for that, right? -- no thanks on MJD. Fine player, but not a wise acquisition in today's NFL.