Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Also I wonder if that was Harbaugh decision or the coach? 

According to Chappelle's article, Harbaugh took himself out.

After being sacked three times on the next-to-the-last drive of the game, Harbaugh pulled himself out and was replaced by Paul Justin. Harbaugh cited fatigue for the reason he took himself out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cbs4indy.com/sports/colts/espn-analysts-rip-colts-anthony-richardson-for-tapping-out/amp/

• Like 1

I just think he has the mental IQ to be a solid starter. I also wonder about his work ethic on film study or preparations other than the team does. He has no touch and even on the TD to Downs it was underthrown. Its also maddening that it seems he is fixated on throwing the deeper pass rather than move down the field playing the short game. His lack of vision on the near interception followed by an actual interception shows his mental IQ for the game is very low 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColtAndOrioles said:

No.   The prior play he scrambled around a little in the pocket and threw a pass.  The TD pass that was nullified by a penalty.   The play before that was a handoff to Taylor.  In fact on the Taylor run 2 plays prior a Houston player was injured and there was a long delay.  He had plenty of time to rest.  Then the Colts ran 2 plays.  They he took himself out of the game. 

So the coach lied about it.   And if he is too tired from a handoff, a pass, and a run?  He seriously needs to improve his conditioning.  Remember in a couple of other games he has been slow to get up from looking winded and had to take a knee in the huddle a few times.

The pass play before his run involved him being chased all over the field . Then the run and the guy was gassed. He didn't think it was smart for him to run the next play. My Lord , the media and this board must be really bored .

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Didn’t think he had the balls to make a change but it certainly appears to be on the radar.

It's a win now league and if he thinks Flacco gives the Colts a better shot to win, then I'm backing the head coach.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Interesting.

Maybe spare AR the embarrassment on National TV sunday night and bring him back the next game.

AR and the Colts will be the laughing stock of the league and the entire nation if he goes 11 for 32 again on national TV.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dw49 said:

The pass play before his run involved him being chased all over the field . Then the run and the guy was gassed. He didn't think it was smart for him to run the next play. My Lord , the media and this board must be really bored .

None of the former NFL players and coaches who are talking about this seem to agree with you. 

They couldn’t just say “he got the wind knocked out of him but he’s fine now” and avoid this %show? You know, among all the other raging %shows going on? We’ve got a wannabe genius GM constantly tripping over his own feet, another wannabe genius at HC who is now talking just like his wannabe genius boss, a QB too blown up to even hand the ball off on a 3rd down, and now they’re fueling the speculation that they’re going to pull the plug on this project they assured us they could handle. 

This whole thing is starting to really come off as a 3 Stooges parody. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

They couldn’t just say “he got the wind knocked out of him but he’s fine now” and avoid this %show? You know, among all the other raging %shows going on? We’ve got a wannabe genius GM constantly tripping over his own feet, another wannabe genius at HC who is now talking just like his wannabe genius boss, a QB too blown up to even hand the ball off on a 3rd down, and now they’re fueling the speculation that they’re going to pull the plug on this project they assured us they could handle. 

This whole thing is starting to really come off as a 3 Stooges parody. 

Welcome to Ballard's culture. This is not the first time this % show has flared up under his watch. still makes me wonder if Luck wanted no part of Ballard's culture and said enough.

• Like 1

Ryan Kelly said they had a conversation about Anthony Richardson leaving the field for a play and that AR realizes "That's not the standard he needs to live up to." He said criticism is warranted for that moment. But he reiterated that he plays hard pretty consistently.

To recap, Shane Steichen on Anthony Richardson: - He is QB1 as of today - But for who starts Sunday vs. the Vikings? "We're evaluating." - Tapping out for a play didn't factor into the need for evaluation, though he also said it can't happen

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Bunch of has beens who are critiquing a young qb who just needed a breather....I'm pretty sure it's happened before with other players or in other sports AR was just honest about it

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

Bunch of has beens who are critiquing a young qb who just needed a breather....I'm pretty sure it's happened before with other players or in other sports AR was just honest about it

I completely agree. But for first time, it does put pressure on AR, Steichen and the entire organization going forward.

Watching Shane's latest presser this is obvious. not what the team needed.

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

37 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

So is Ryan Kelly a has been as well?

When the coach and lineman talk to you after the game about something like that… well… The players know this is a pretty big deal. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So is Ryan Kelly a has been as well?

When the coach and lineman talk to you after the game about something like that… well… The players know this is a pretty big deal. 

I would add this. I woudl bet it was wayyyyyyy more than Ryan Kelly who was not happy about this and that is why SS had no choice but to call AR out on it because he knows the team aint happy about it...What we are finding out id AR is not football smart to be a starting QB and he is not mature and self aware enough to be a starting NFL franchise QB and SS better be very careful here or he will lose the entire team. Typical ballard team with nonstop nonsense going on and it starts with No Accountability!!

IMO, SS was going to let AR off the hook yesterday when they asked him about the tap out ,SS acted like he needed a breather, no big deal.......................... Until the team went to him and forced him to hold AR accountable. JMO, but why wouldn't SS call AR out on it yesterday or on the plane ride home? ............................................................Because he wasn't going to and that's part of the problem.

Anybody see what is going on in Denver with Sean Payton and Bo Nix? Coach is holding his * accountable bigtime and Nix is responding well....It's ok to do that to millionaire athletes and most great QB's want to be coached hard.

• Like 2

I don’t pretend to have read every post on this thread, but I’m guessing no one has brought up this this point that Steichen made.   

AR wasn’t tired from the one play where he tapped out.  Shane noted AR had done lots of running three straight plays.  I think this is an important point.  

AR didn’t help himself simply saying he was tired.  What he should have said was that he had the wind knocked out and needs play off.   That would have helped his own cause.   AR also should have said he had run around for three straight plays, he hurt his own cause by not saying that. 

Turns out, Steichen talked to him this morning.  They had a conversation in the QB room meeting.  Turns out team captain Ryan Kelly talked to him this morning.   No one is sharing details of the conversation but everyone is telling the kid they have his back. 

When AR finally makes his first public comments, it’ll be interesting to hear what he has to say.   

• Like 1

I think him taking himself out, brings up a lot of questions. The local media I feel has been downplaying it, but McAfee's response I think speaks volume as a former player and as a Colts homer. Also not to mention all the former players ripping him for it.

1. How does the locker room and his offensive line think about him now? and will he lose the confidence of the team, a QB can lose the locker room just like a coach can.

2. Does he not have good cardio? and if not how can we hope for growth if he isn't putting in the work?

3. Can we use him more as a runner, like many want if he gets tired and needs subbed out with how we currently play?

This Vikings game I think will either be a correction and the team will come out of it renewed or we may watch them fall apart to a point where no ones job is safe. Personally I still think you have to give AR this year and next to grow and develop.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think him taking himself out, brings up a lot of questions. The local media I feel has been downplaying it, but McAfee's response I think speaks volume as a former player and as a Colts homer. Also not to mention all the former players ripping him for it.

1. How does the locker room and his offensive line think about him now? and will he lose the confidence of the team, a QB can lose the locker room just like a coach can.

2. Does he not have good cardio? and if not how can we hope for growth if he isn't putting in the work?

3. Can we use him more as a runner, like many want if he gets tired and needs subbed out with how we currently play?

This Vikings game I think will either be a correction and the team will come out of it renewed or we may watch them fall apart to a point where no ones job is safe. Personally I still think you have to give AR this year and next to grow and develop.

I think the lines feelings were addressed by the report that Kelly talked to AR and tapping out not being up to the Colts standard.  Kelly is a team leader and the leader of the line.  He’s also being dealing with his own health issues and playing through them.  I am glad he spoke up.  

• Like 2