Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It will never happen, but...

Indeee

I'm back and better than ever baby!! Ha!!

As the title states....

We should trade Richardson to Carolina for their 1st round pick and let Joe Cool run the show. Redraft a QB next year or in 2026.

Here's why...

Carolina botched the young pick, they know it, and Richardson IS Cam and is why I really wasn't a fan of his. Also, I think that in that room there were some that wanted AR. Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, he's a great athlete, seems to be a good dude, and the potential is ALWAYS going to be there however it will never be consistent enough to seriously compete, just like Cam. Carolina LOVES Cam and instantly makes them relevant according to the clueless owner. Hà!!

I will say that Pierce has looked better so here's hoping I was wrong for all those wanting me to revisit my "Real Ghost" post. Maybe the drafting of AD and the leaked story that we wanted JJ lit a fire, but there were too many drops on Sunday that were not AR's fault unless he needs to take a bit off his throws. In this league though you gotta catch the ball. So maybe give it a couple more weeks. If he betters MORE CONSISTENTLY, then we keep him and all will be good.

Still, I would trade him before the deadline. There is always a team with an ego to take this project. In this league rollercoasters are not fun when it comes to wins and losses especially with a QB dealing with a terrible defense on top. His development will falter as he will be expected to do too much to compensate the defensive woes. Seems like a recipe for disaster that another team can deal with but not us. 

Ballard saves his job and credibility if he explores this move IMHO as it will take ALOT of round things that people play with..Ha!!. He wasn't really onboard if you go by the behind-the-scenes series. I think we all know the "I wish there was more tape" is clearly a reference to AR now. 

Go ahead and throw your darts. I'm waiting Ha!!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

We should trade Richardson to Carolina for their 1st round pick and let Joe Cool run the show. Redraft a QB next year or in 2026.

Here's why...

Carolina botched the young pick, they know it, and Richardson IS Cam and is why I really wasn't a fan of his. Also, I think that in that room there were some that wanted AR. Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, he's a great athlete, seems to be a good dude, and the potential is ALWAYS going to be there however it will never be consistent enough to seriously compete, just like Cam. Carolina LOVES Cam and instantly makes them relevant according to the clueless owner. Hà!!

I will say that Pierce has looked better so here's hoping I was wrong for all those wanting me to revisit my "Real Ghost" post. Maybe the drafting of AD and the leaked story that we wanted JJ lit a fire, but there were too many drops on Sunday that were not AR's fault unless he needs to take a bit off his throws. In this league though you gotta catch the ball. So maybe give it a couple more weeks. If he betters MORE CONSISTENTLY, then we keep him and all will be good.

Still, I would trade him before the deadline. There is always a team with an ego to take this project. In this league rollercoasters are not fun when it comes to wins and losses especially with a QB dealing with a terrible defense on top. His development will falter as he will be expected to do too much to compensate the defensive woes. Seems like a recipe for disaster that another team can deal with but not us. 

Ballard saves his job and credibility if he explores this move IMHO as it will take ALOT of round things that people play with..Ha!!. He wasn't really onboard if you go by the behind-the-scenes series. I think we all know the "I wish there was more tape" is clearly a reference to AR now. 

Carolina is not gonna be dumb enough to trade a future first again for a long time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being that I’m not a fan of having a project quarterback who may never pan out I would go for that. Flacco is no slouch. Just asked the Browns fans. I think Flacco would’ve won us those last two games  because he’s a heck of a lot more accurate and he could probably keep the offense on the field longer….. which would give our defense a rest. That being said, I know it’s unrealistic. Whether you like it or not, we are going to spend the next two years finding out if Richardson is a franchise quarterback.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

Here's why...

Confused Over It GIF

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Being that I’m not a fan of having a project quarterback who may never pan out I would go for that. Flacco is no slouch. Just asked the Browns fans. I think Flacco would’ve won us those last two games  because he’s a heck of a lot more accurate and he could probably keep the offense on the field longer….. which would give our defense a rest. That being said, I know it’s unrealistic. Whether you like it or not, we are going to spend the next two years finding out if Richardson is a franchise quarterback.

I also think we are 2-0 right now with Flacco starting. Nothing personal against Richardson, but I'm so sick of losing that. I did not want to draft a project, and now I don't want to sit and lose for a few more years, trying to figure out if he's the guy or not.

Maybe the Manning years spoiled me, but I'm so freaking tired of losing. No week 1 wins in a decade...no division titles...no playoff wins..no threat to win a Super Bowl etc

I'd be thrilled with a new GM...then they can decide what to do at QB, coaches etc.

It seems like so many other teams have turned things around so quickly while we are still treading water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I also think we are 2-0 right now with Flacco starting. Nothing personal against Richardson, but I'm so sick of losing that. I did not want to draft a project, and now I don't want to sit and lose for a few more years, trying to figure out if he's the guy or not.

Maybe the Manning years spoiled me, but I'm so freaking tired of losing. No week 1 wins in a decade...no division titles...no playoff wins..no threat to win a Super Bowl etc

I'd be thrilled with a new GM...then they can decide what to do at QB, coaches etc.

It seems like so many other teams have turned things around so quickly while we are still treading water.

Man, I feel the exact same way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Man, I feel the exact same way.

All of the people that love Richardson say that we knew he was a project and it will take years to develop... Then are they saying that they're willing to waste all of the talent we have now in Taylor, Buckner, our O-line, Grover, Pittman etc? Because they will all be well past their prime if Richardson ever turns into an NFL quality Quarterback.

It won't take many more years of losing and having no hope of at least a division title before fans stop showing up to the games... It happened before Manning was drafted, we were literally on the verge of moving to LA

• Like 4

I still have faith in AR only because I feel he has the right make up. Doesn't mean he is going to be good just means I want to give him more time ,especially with what the team just did to him. Also,Jordan  Love turned into a totally different QB last year after 10 games 

What scares me though is we had Ballard give him a terrible defense with no TE's and kicker. We had SS take AR's best weapon off the feild at the most important time in the game(remember all the talk and excitement about having JT and AR on the feild at the same time and how much stress it puts on a defense?) We had Nick Cross for some unexplainable reason knock out AR's safety blanket for at least the first 2 games of the year and We told AR to go out there and win games......It's exactly what you DO NOT do to a young QB and it just got Bryce Young benched and his career is probably over before it started. They are ruining AR right before our eyes before he even has a chance to prove anything. In a game that was in reach throughout , they went out of their way to screw AR up and as we saw, he screwed up bigtime. The whole damn team is imploding including SS and Gus...BTW Shane, your 2nd leading receiver yesterday was JT without playing the 4th quarter thanks to your ridiculous decision.

Why anyone would want to return to the aging QB on the downside of their career scenario is beyond me.  There are no assurances with franchise QB talent levels coming through the draft and/or draft position prospects. The 2025 QB draft class is weak. If you wait until 2026 you might as well consider trading your older veterans for draft picks because by the time that QB is ready many of the players will be in decline or already gone.

This Bed has been made; time to let it play out. 
‘Cheers.

• Like 1

AR shoudla stayed in college another year! His all around game needs a ton of work! His footwork, accuracy issues, and lack of game experience is too much a hinderance to be a full-time starting NFL QB! Even after being out most of last year and having all off season to recover and work on his game, his flaws are causing our offense a lot of issues!

It doesn’t help that our wrs cant catch his bullets but they had all offseason to work with him!  Coaching is also to blame in these in-game situations, but I am still unsure if AR knows the full playbook! Recall when the Bengals came during training camp, they were talking all that sht about the Colts offense! Saying that AR only throws in spots and is too predictable! I’m starting to believe them now!

Can AR look off a Safety to get a man open? Can he go through every read to make the right throw? Can he throw a WR/TE open when covered? I still think he struggles in all these areas? His footwork is very sloppy and causing his overthrows too!

I have heard him being compared to sCam Newton, which is not a good sign imo! sCam was way overrated and ran out of the NFL after a few years! AR is a true project, and can still have a good career, but these early career struggles bring out a ton of question marks and doubts!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Every QB drafted is a project 

2 hours ago, bestQBever said:

Imagine giving up on a QB we knew needed time to develop... 6 games into his career. Sports fans are pathetic

Right - last week people were saying he is the GOAT & he just needs to improve upon his accuracy. His play was bad week 2, but dropping passes & watching your defense get humiliated isn’t helping him. 

I’m a little worried regarding his accuracy & foot work (throws off back foot a lot) BUT I’m going to trust in Shane + AR’s insane potential. 

2 hours ago, bestQBever said:

Imagine giving up on a QB we knew needed time to develop... 6 games into his career. Sports fans are pathetic

Bro I don’t get people man …. Like our expectations is 1 year to fast. We knew Richardson needed time to develop and we would see flashes of amazing stuff and bad stuff. Like we knew his accuracy was a work in progress it takes time. ( doesn’t help when wr drop the balls and quit on routes) if this play would have been last year fans would have been fine. Like this is his rookie year basically and they putting the team on his back exactly what we knew would couldn’t do. Like lean on JT and grind out games. The defense brining back all 11 starters and being this bad Gus has to go. This is why I don’t resign guys early 

• Like 4

If at what point this season would/should Colts make a change at QB if the bad play/losing continues?  Should they still ride with AR even if they go 0-5, 0-10, 0-17? If we were to go 0fer for awhile looking like we did this last Sunday, with improvements not being made in any offensive area, some plugs gotta be pulled right?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

All of the people that love Richardson say that we knew he was a project and it will take years to develop... Then are they saying that they're willing to waste all of the talent we have now in Taylor, Buckner, our O-line, Grover, Pittman etc? Because they will all be well past their prime if Richardson ever turns into an NFL quality Quarterback.

It won't take many more years of losing and having no hope of at least a division title before fans stop showing up to the games... It happened before Manning was drafted, we were literally on the verge of moving to LA

The idea that project QBs work out on anything other than a rare occasion is something to consider.

We’ve gone through a revolving door of QBs since Luck retired (with a few that were project QBs). Can’t blame fans for wanting to see something other than mediocre to poor play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

Here's why...

Genuinely speaking did you actually think before typing this out? This was a terrible take ….NEXT!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Peyton won 3 of his first 16 games.  Of the games he’s started, Richardson has won 2 of 5.  At his current clip, doing better than Peyton!

I know the league is different now, it's more of a "win now" for owners, gm's, and fans(notice I didn't include players). But does anyone recall how in 1975 Bob Irsay stormed into the locker room at half time during the 5th game of the season and told coach Schnellenberger to play 3rd year qb Bert Jones instead of diddling around with Marty Domres any more? We will keep Richardson out there, he needs to play, we will sink or swim with Richardson. And, by the way, Richardson at qb has NOTHING to do with giving up 500 yards of rushing through 2 games.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Peyton won 3 of his first 16 games.  Of the games he’s started, Richardson has won 2 of 5.  At his current clip, doing better than Peyton!

But Peyton had a body of work to see, from college...and you could see early on that he was going to be good. Richardson has nothing to look at to think he will be a franchise QB . Also on the Peyton Manning part, look at how much differently the rules were in the NFL back then...WRs and QBs took far more punishment than they do now, the rules have changed a lot, to make things easier for the offense 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I know the league is different now, it's more of a "win now" for owners, gm's, and fans(notice I didn't include players). But does anyone recall how in 1975 Bob Irsay stormed into the locker room at half time during the 5th game of the season and told coach Schnellenberger to play 3rd year qb Bert Jones instead of diddling around with Marty Domres any more? We will keep Richardson out there, he needs to play, we will sink or swim with Richardson. And, by the way, Richardson at qb has NOTHING to do with giving up 500 yards of rushing through 2 games.

Has a little bit to do with it ...zero sustained drives put together does make it hard on a D ... By the time they take their helmets off and sit down, it's time to go back in the game already.

Not when you're getting gashed from the opening kickoff, players shouldn't be worn down till the second half into the 4th quarter. In the first 2 games we've gotten run over from the first hand off. The Green Bay game we had really good run defense the entire second half, but, who knows, the Packer backs could have been gassed from all the running they did in the first half.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bestQBever said:

I agree

There are so many QBs that take time to develop

Richardson is not at his peak yet. Its all about repetition.  

Richardson needs to keep learning and keep practicing 

Josh Allen had a 52% completion rate in year 1, 58% in year 2, 69% in Year 3

Year to date 2024 he is at 73%

Will AR follow the same path? Who knows?

There ARE plays where he is pin point accurate, so to me that shows the potential

I personally believe that there will be more and more as he gets actual game reps, and learns to read the field

Our current biggest problem is lack of imagination and lack of playmakers on defense.

Our DC had great success with this current defense in years past, but the OCs have learned to beat it

They have moved on, we have not.

Our second biggest problem is at GM

Its clear that this defense is short on playmakers

We had the cap space, we had opportunity, We chose to do little in the offseason 

How in the world do you give up so many yards rushing to GB???

How do we not change in game?  How are we not prepared for either team?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

We’re 2-0 if our defense has an average day against the run instead of two back to back historically bad days against the run. 

offense is a problem, yes, but we didn’t lose because of QB play and Flacco entering the picture doesn’t change that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IndyEV said:

If at what point this season would/should Colts make a change at QB if the bad play/losing continues?  Should they still ride with AR even if they go 0-5, 0-10, 0-17? If we were to go 0fer for awhile looking like we did this last Sunday, with improvements not being made in any offensive area, some plugs gotta be pulled right?

Ride it all the way thru. 

7 hours ago, IndyEV said:

no, no and no.  Even if you lose with AR at the helm, you gain so much more by playing him as opposed to the opposite. Clarity on where to go next as a franchise (who stays, who goes in both personnel and management). A QB who desperately needs in game reps therefore has a management team who desperately needs to evaluate him. 

If Irsay shakes things up it will be in the offseason.  This is a pure evaluation year.  I hope we see it for what it is and start to adjust accordingly.  You may not see Bucker back next year and a few other vets.  The only thing this team's veteran presence can manifest is losing and losing in an embarrassing fashion.

I would be very interested to know what opposing QB's average QB rating has been been since Ballard has been our GM....and so many backups on that list. 

If Bucker, Nelson and a retired(?) Darius Leonard are your big hits with no playoff success in 8 years,,,I think we have to start asking questions.  Ballard's seat staying cool all depended on how this season looked.  Give it another 10 games to truly evaluate, but I would say that if it stays this way- he is closer to getting packing slips than an extension. 

11 hours ago, Indeee said:

As the title states....

Here's why...

I get the idea.  If you believe that "winning now" and "AR's development" are in opposition to each other, then this isn't that crazy an idea.

One downside I could think of is facing the fans with this:

2018 Andrew Luck

2019 Jacoby Brissett

2020 Phillip Rivers

2021 Carson Wentz

2022 Matt Ryan

2023 Anthony Richardson Gardner Minshew

2024 Anthony Richardson Joe Flacco

2024 ?????

They're gonna ask just how long are we gonna keep doing this.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Ballard is dead man walking to me.  I do not see how he survives this year.  

I believe he "survives."  The ownership core - Jim Irsay and his daughters appear to be pretty hands-off at this time - possibly due to serious health concerns outweighing their obligations to the team and fans.  As long as the franchise is financially viable and the money flows - they won't move on from their team's GM.

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This fan base would have run Manning out of town in his rookie season. And then again in 2001. 

People wouldn't be happy with Manning's first rookie season, but they would understand that Manning was an accomplished college player with a ton of potential. There would be more patience.

AR is not an accomplished college player or an accomplished NLF player. He is a LOW floor player with MASSIVE potential. The problem is that the NFL is littered with guys that have so much potential, and it's rare when they do meet their potential, especially at the QB position. We will all point at Josh Allen as a guy who met his potential, but will not point to all of the first round failures.

Also, this is AR's second season, not his rookie season. I want to point this out because although he has massive potential, he's always going to have injury concerns. He did in college and only made it through 4 games last year. It'll be difficult to meet your potential while you're sitting on the sidelines.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

People wouldn't be happy with Manning's first rookie season, but they would understand that Manning was an accomplished college player with a ton of potential. There would be more patience.

AR is not an accomplished college player or an accomplished NLF player. He is a LOW floor player with MASSIVE potential. The problem is that the NFL is littered with guys that have so much potential, and it's rare when they do meet their potential, especially at the QB position. We will all point at Josh Allen as a guy who met his potential, but will not point to all of the first round failures.

Also, this is AR's second season, not his rookie season. I want to point this out because although he has massive potential, he's always going to have injury concerns. He did in college and only made it through 4 games last year. It'll be difficult to meet your potential while you're sitting on the sidelines.

Considering he only made it 4 games in last year is why we're evaluating him more as a rookie. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Considering he only made it 4 games in last year is why we're evaluating him more as a rookie. 

Understood. But he's not a rookie is my point. We're evaluating him as a rookie because he was injury prone in college and ....surprise, he was injured in his first year in the NFL.

He's a second year player with the worst completion percentage of any starting QB, even when compared to today's rookies. But he has the most potential.

• Like 1