Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

15 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Man I hope the debating about QB 3 and the kicker is not indicative of how little we will have to talk about concerning this team in 2024. or we might all be singing, "Lord help our Colts"  lol

there are other topics we can cover, but people get mad. here are a few

Richardson is probably gonna get injured at some point and we will have another aged vet at QB in Joe Flacco. 

Jelani Woods is injured yet again. Anyone shocked? super tall athletic TE having issues with his legs, shocker. 

Baker Jr is still on the roster - but I think people are just tired of saying it tbh, not even worth debating on here because the only people who will say he deserves a spot on the roster are eating cake with Ballard in their dreams. 

supposedly there's another player on the team who may be accused of gambling, which is so confusing to me how we have TEs body slamming their significant other and a rampant gambling issue, yet we draft with culture in mind.. 

We could praise the Latu draft pick but what talent does it really take to pull the trigger on the first defensive player? 

we could talk about talent vs. scheme, we could say that roster mechanics really began changing with steichnes arrival there's lots of things to talk about, but you can imagine, if talking about an overpaid kicker gets such a rave going, imagine what those topics will do. 

• Like 2

All great topics although I think the gambling one, was pilot error of the original poster as the wording was identical to Rodgers last year but who knows.....  I would love to touch on a lot of those, but don't want to create a firestorm of debate. I typically try to keep it light when I roll into a deep debate so was just trying to sunshine the place up for a second.  I have only a small/slight concern about Gay...(tiny) really. So Im ok with just letting it play out.....in regard to slammin' Sammy.....put him on the  PS and lets get this train rollin' ... releasing harrison got me believing that the Colts will be signing a Safety from someone elses discard pile.....99% sure it wont be a "starter" but an experienced journeyman. If that person is good at special teams that would super nice

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

The emergency QB rule extends to the PS so you don't need to waste a roster spot

Need? Maybe not. But if you want to protect your third QB from being poached by another team, it's not a waste of a roster spot to keep him on the 53. 

I guess we'll see how the Colts handle this, but I would think with Richardson not having played a full season, and an older backup, it makes sense to keep a third QB on the roster. My hope would be that our QB3 is being groomed to be QB2 by next season, or maybe sooner if injury makes it necessary. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Crunked said:

All great topics although I think the gambling one, was pilot error of the original poster as the wording was identical to Rodgers last year but who knows.....  I would love to touch on a lot of those, but don't want to create a firestorm of debate. I typically try to keep it light when I roll into a deep debate so was just trying to sunshine the place up for a second.  I have only a small/slight concern about Gay...(tiny) really. So Im ok with just letting it play out.....in regard to slammin' Sammy.....put him on the  PS and lets get this train rollin' ... releasing harrison got me believing that the Colts will be signing a Safety from someone elses discard pile.....99% sure it wont be a "starter" but an experienced journeyman. If that person is good at special teams that would super nice

no i understand that, and i think others do too, that's why a lot of topics are muted. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I guess we should talk later about how many teams carry 3.

Is Sam that good that someone would sign him to their 53?

Again, we will see. But Sam as a #2? We paid Flacco $8M for that not to happen here.

The good news is we have a better choice.

The new rule might bring back the days of carrying two QBs, but I think that only makes sense if you have two reliable QBs. I'm optimistic for Richardson, but he's not reliable at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….  For the record…. I didn’t mean now,  or today.   The offer stands for as long as we’re both members of this community. 

i'd like to remain a member of the community, so best to keep it to myself.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Need? Maybe not. But if you want to protect your third QB from being poached by another team, it's not a waste of a roster spot to keep him on the 53. 

I guess we'll see how the Colts handle this, but I would think with Richardson not having played a full season, and an older backup, it makes sense to keep a third QB on the roster. My hope would be that our QB3 is being groomed to be QB2 by next season, or maybe sooner if injury makes it necessary. 

Again I really don't see how Ehlinger is coveted by other teams 

Just now, CR91 said:

coveted is probably relative... there's plenty of 3s, and a handful of 2s Sam could replace across the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm not talking about Ehlinger specifically. I'm talking about the value of having a third QB available, and whether that player should be protected on the 53, or left open to poaching on the practice squad. For the Colts, I think they should keep 3 this year. It doesn't have to be Ehlinger. I think he's maxed out, and it's probably time to move on. But at least he'd provide a stable floor in the event he needed to play this season. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AKB said:

coveted is probably relative... there's plenty of 3s, and a handful of 2s Sam could replace across the league. 

Wow. I honestly don't see Ehlinger in that light, but to each their own

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not talking about Ehlinger specifically. I'm talking about the value of having a third QB available, and whether that player should be protected on the 53, or left open to poaching on the practice squad. For the Colts, I think they should keep 3 this year. It doesn't have to be Ehlinger. I think he's maxed out, and it's probably time to move on. But at least he'd provide a stable floor in the event he needed to play this season. 

I can respect that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Wow. I honestly don't see Ehlinger in that light, but to each their own

I can respect that

Keep in mind teams could try to poach a QB3 off the PS just for the intel on playbook etc. QBs generally have more knowledge of the entire playbook than some other spots like K

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Keep in mind teams could try to poach a QB3 off the PS just for the intel on playbook etc. QBs generally have more knowledge of the entire playbook than some other spots like K

How well did that work for the cowboys vs the 49ers last year 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

coveted is probably relative... there's plenty of 3s, and a handful of 2s Sam could replace across the leaengue. 

Wouldn't shock me if we kept Sam over Bean. Behind the scenes Sam may also have some value to the team via his locker room presence and helping AR prepare.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Maybe but Sam would be the third string qb if he was back with his UT college team. 

• Like 1

This was just published by the Indy Star at 4:20 am this morning.  I cannot confirm anything is official, just that this is in today's edition.

Thirty-seven players were cut by the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday as the team set its 53-man roster -- at least temporarily -- for the 2024 season. Here is a list of the players (* -- already released or waived):

Austin Ajiake

Liam Anderson

Genard Avery

Jason Bean

Levi Bell

Taven Bryan

*Tyrie Cleveland

Marcel Dabo

Sam Ehlinger

Demetric Felton

*Clay Fields III

Arlington Hambright

*Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Eric Johnson

Chris Lammons

Jonah Laulu

Titus Leo

Cameron McGrone

D.J. Montgomery

Jordan Murray

Mike Panasiuk

Danny Pinter

*Derek Rivers

Zavier Scott

*Spencer Shrader

Jaylin Simpson

*Kedan Slovis

*Derek Slywka

*Mike Smith Jr.

Eric Tomlinson

Laquon Treadwell

Michael Tutsie

*Greg Ward

Juwann Winfree

Jake Witt

Craig Young

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

This was just published by the Indy Star at 4:20 am this morning.  I cannot confirm anything is official, just that this is in today's edition.

Thirty-seven players were cut by the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday as the team set its 53-man roster -- at least temporarily -- for the 2024 season. Here is a list of the players (* -- already released or waived):

Austin Ajiake

Liam Anderson

Genard Avery

Jason Bean

Levi Bell

Taven Bryan

*Tyrie Cleveland

Marcel Dabo

Sam Ehlinger

Demetric Felton

*Clay Fields III

Arlington Hambright

*Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Eric Johnson

Chris Lammons

Jonah Laulu

Titus Leo

Cameron McGrone

D.J. Montgomery

Jordan Murray

Mike Panasiuk

Danny Pinter

*Derek Rivers

Zavier Scott

*Spencer Shrader

Jaylin Simpson

*Kedan Slovis

*Derek Slywka

*Mike Smith Jr.

Eric Tomlinson

Laquon Treadwell

Michael Tutsie

*Greg Ward

Juwann Winfree

Jake Witt

Craig Young

It is their projected list...https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/08/26/colts-will-cut-36-players-to-get-to-53-heres-the-projected-list/74911073007/

Not bad doubt Simpson gets cut he would have a high likely hood of getting cut, Bryan also not likely though not a huge loss with Davis back though he isnt up to speed as of yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Austin Ajiake

Liam Anderson

Genard Avery

Jason Bean

Levi Bell

Taven Bryan

*Tyrie Cleveland

Marcel Dabo

Sam Ehlinger

Demetric Felton

*Clay Fields III

Arlington Hambright

*Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Eric Johnson

Chris Lammons

Jonah Laulu

Titus Leo

Cameron McGrone

D.J. Montgomery

Jordan Murray

Mike Panasiuk

Danny Pinter

*Derek Rivers

Zavier Scott

*Spencer Shrader

Jaylin Simpson

*Kedan Slovis

*Derek Slywka

*Mike Smith Jr.

Eric Tomlinson

Laquon Treadwell

Michael Tutsie

*Greg Ward

Juwann Winfree

Jake Witt

Craig Young

I thought today was Monday.  That article said "were cut on Tuesday" ?  Did they have a magic crystal ball?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I thought today was Monday.  That article said "were cut on Tuesday" ?  Did they have a magic crystal ball?

Good question.  Not sure why they would announce cuts early.  They want to get some of them back on the PS.  

This would just give teams more time to look at them.

Either a bad leak or an ill advised decision IMHO.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

The new rule might bring back the days of carrying two QBs, but I think that only makes sense if you have two reliable QBs. I'm optimistic for Richardson, but he's not reliable at this point. 

He has really good blocking in front of him.

What should be a very good run game.

A very good receiving group.

A really good play caller.

Steichen ran hurry up in his first game as a rookie. 

So, he knows the offense very well by now.

I see a quick release.

I believe they trust that he got the memo about protecting himself.

So is he just some injury prone athlete? I don't think they bet on that.

I'm hoping Bean has a deal with us for the PS. If he rides with us for a season he looks to have a great shot to be our #2 next season. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AKB said:

Baker Jr is still on the roster - but I think people are just tired of saying it tbh, not even worth debating on here because the only people who will say he deserves a spot on the roster are eating cake with Ballard in their dreams

He's here because he had a good off season and outplayed the guys trying to take his spot.  I'm not a huge fan of Chris Ballard anymore either, could take him or leave him.

He had a rough season last year but won the battle in camp this year.

• Like 1

I have to say I don’t get all of the angst over a 3rd string quarterback.  This follows all of the discussion on whether we should keep a 68% FG percentage kicker who already has been cut.  If that’s all we have to worry about I would say we have a very good roster.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say I don’t get all of the angst over a 3rd string quarterback.  This follows all of the discussion on whether we should keep a 68% FG percentage kicker who already has been cut.  If that’s all we have to worry about I would say we have a very good roster.  

Exactly if the only QB drama the Colts have this year is the third QB spot sign me up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly if the only QB drama the Colts have this year is the third QB spot sign me up.

There's a lot to worry about tbh. These are just the current issues based on the cuts. If I had to go through it, RB Depth is probably bad, we don't have any decent TEs, LBers are pretty weak, Safeties beside Blackmon are bad, and Gay is questionable right now.

This isn't even mentioning Richardson is a question mark heading into what is essentially his rookie season and how well we do heavily relies on him figuring it out this year and not getting injured. 

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It's a timeless tradition on the Colts site. Remember Chad Kelly?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm hoping Bean has a deal with us for the PS. If he rides with us for a season he looks to have a great shot to be our #2 next season. 

This. I’d like to see Bean take that #2 spot next season.

• Like 1

Kent Sterling said something interesting this morning. When AR was struggling in the Bengals game he went to Sam not Joe. I've heard alot of reports of how smart Sam is. Man I think Bean has gobs more potential. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Kent Sterling said something interesting this morning. When AR was struggling in the Bengals game he went to Sam not Joe. I've heard alot of reports of how smart Sam is. Man I think Bean has gobs more potential. 

I think it's more of Flaccos refusal to help young QBs. He didn't help Zach Wilson in NY when he was on the Jets, and when he was on Denver he didn't help someone either (I believe it was Drew Lock). I wouldn't be surprised if he is refusing to help Richardson, and he was forced to ask Sam for help instead of Flacco.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I think it's more of Flaccos refusal to help young QBs. He didn't help Zach Wilson in NY when he was on the Jets, and when he was on Denver he didn't help someone either (I believe it was Drew Lock). I wouldn't be surprised if he is refusing to help Richardson, and he was forced to ask Sam for help instead of Flacco.

:facepalm:

• Like 1