Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Imo it's the correct move. I don't think people understand Paye's importance to the line. I get he hasn't exactly lived up the first round bill, but he's the Erik Walden of our dline. Someone who isn't exactly the most flashy player, but is needed for the job he does.

It’s like a burger flipper, I mean they all now make way more than they should thanks to “raise the minimum wage to $20+ dollars”…same thing here really…he’s not a flat out superstar, but when you need that burger he’ll be there (hopefully)

• Like 1

Well you know how it goes around here... 

If you don't have 20 sacks and no missed snaps, you obviously suck and are overpaid.. I'm sure some fans died a little inside seeing the option picked up . Lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, w87r said:

I don't know if they were working an extension or not? Maybe, maybe not? Just a possibility. Point is, it didn't take them till the last 15 minutes before the deadline, to make this decision. It had been made, no reason to rush the announcement. I'm sure if extension talks weren't on going, then the Colts let him know that they would pick up his option, well before 3:45 today, when the rest of us found out. 

Add to that the fact that Indy coaches were giving Paye high accolades for the past couple of weeks. It would look pretty silly and even disingenuous if they declined the 5th year option after saying he was a very good player.

• Like 2

Kwitty is good not great.  No problem picking up the option for the amount.  People expecting him to be Freeney or Mathis he was never going to be that.  Kwitty has pretty much been what he was advertised to be coming out of college.  My biggest concern with him is can he stay healthy.  He’s not Bob Sanders by any means but he’s had issues with injuries.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

I would think just the opposite. Keep Fries if he agrees to a reasonable deal and move on from Kelly. 

The hope would be that Fries does not remain the starter. He is a C grade player. A reliable C.  We must have better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He was drafted to set the edge which he is great at. He was not drafted as a pass rusher. Duh 

What? With the 20th pick in the NFL draft, the Colts pick Kwitty Paye to set the edge and not rush the passer. Got it!!

4 hours ago, wig said:

You're projecting 

Oh my

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Completely disagree.  He is the anti Freeney though.   Great edge setter and run defense.   Not a ton of pressures.    He has gotten better every year with pass rush though.  Great rotation guy

Yea but Freeney impacted the game. U don't draft a player 20th overall to set the edge. U can grab that in free agency and/or pick a guy in the later rounds to assume that role.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do some  stop and think Paye is doing what he is asked to do?: 

Yea, he is doing what he is asked to do. To set the edge because he couldn't do what he was originally asked to do.  That was to primarily rush the passer and be effective in that role.

After the way Gus Bradley talked about Paye last week I fully expected them to exercise the option. I guess the question is - if he was a free agent next year would you give him 13m? I think it's probably a good decision when you look at the market this year and projecting some inflation for next year. Example - Dorance Armstrong got 11m average. Marcus Davenport got 13M average last year. IMO with the increases in salary cap, this one looks reasonable.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

After the way Gus Bradley talked about Paye last week I fully expected them to exercise the option. I guess the question is - if he was a free agent next year would you give him 13m? I think it's probably a good decision when you look at the market this year and projecting some inflation for next year. Example - Dorance Armstrong got 11m average. Marcus Davenport got 13M average last year. IMO with the increases in salary cap, this one looks reasonable.

completely crazy, but we'll see

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea, he is doing what he is asked to do. To set the edge because he couldn't do what he was originally asked to do.  That was to primarily rush the passer and be effective in that role.

Both dayo and paye have improved  each year and should continue  to improve. You don’t  get rid of ascending  players unless you got a suitable  replacement like if we traded for miles garret or someone  like that. While we did draft latu he hasn't  taken a snap yet so we have to wait to see what he is. In any case it is good to have multiple  guys that can pick up 8 to 12 sacks and paye and dayo have ascended to that rank

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Its not about simply giving him 13 million  and the cap is going up. Its a case of if you let him go, could you  use that 13 million and get a better player at the same money and/or maybe a slight increase of say  15-17 million? I would rather save the 13 million and see what was out there and use it to sign a better player.    Based on his  previous production what would Paye demand on the open market? I say the Colts should let  him find out. I don't expect him to all of a sudden turn it on and have say double digit sacks. He had really limited  production coming out of college and that has really remained the same in his pro career. He is who he is at this time in his career. Honestly, with the addition of our 15th pick, Dayo and Ebukam, I actually expect Paye's stats to go down as I think they are better players and will see more snaps. I would be shocked if they are working on an extension. Plus, you don't draft a DE at 15 and then give Paye an extension. I said to the members on this board that when they went after Hunter, they were not happy with the pass rush and it was an indictment of Paye as a pass rusher. Nice guy, but just not the guy we hoped he would become.

Perhaps. But to me, as I said before, this gives us depth at Edge. Sure, he may not be as flashy as some like but what if one more of our DEs go down? This gives us some leeway plus gives competition to the room to push to starts. It’s a cheap option, and easily fixed. 

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Called it

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do some  stop and think Paye is doing what he is asked to do?: 

Ballard has said in a recent presser that Paye needs to get better as a pass rusher, so I doubt they are getting what they want from him. 

I'm good with picking up the option. I kind of agree a little with Ballard that there is more upside to Paye on passing downs. He is a good athlete and he has improved each season. Important that he says healthy, he was quite a raw prospect coming out of college and was then injured alot in his first 2 seasons in the NFL. So I can see why Ballard would like him around for another 2 years to see how much they can improve him. He's also an excellent run defender, which is important to note, especially in that LDE role.

Not only do I think we should’ve picked up the option, but I think we should retain him if he’s not too expensive.  

He may not be the complete DE we want him to be, but he’s serviceable.  And it’s hard to find serviceable DEs.  Him and Latu would be a solid rotation and also gives us depth in case of injury.

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Good. I'm glad you get it now.

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Good. I'm glad you get it now.

And i bet they drafted Latu to drop off into coverage? Now I really do get it!!

11 hours ago, stitches said:

But those are FA deals. They are sort of bidding against themselves right now. I am more curious why it took so long. I figured they would wait until after the draft anyways, but they really waited til the 11th hour. 

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Both dayo and paye have improved  each year and should continue  to improve. You don’t  get rid of ascending  players unless you got a suitable  replacement like if we traded for miles garret or someone  like that. While we did draft latu he hasn't  taken a snap yet so we have to wait to see what he is. In any case it is good to have multiple  guys that can pick up 8 to 12 sacks and paye and dayo have ascended to that rank

Dayo is improving, Paye has plateaued.

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Not only do I think we should’ve picked up the option, but I think we should retain him if he’s not too expensive.  

He may not be the complete DE we want him to be, but he’s serviceable.  And it’s hard to find serviceable DEs.  Him and Latu would be a solid rotation and also gives us depth in case of injury.

you will probably have your answer if you did a search on the average salary for an edge setting RDE in the NFL.

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

Add to that the fact that Indy coaches were giving Paye high accolades for the past couple of weeks. It would look pretty silly and even disingenuous if they declined the 5th year option after saying he was a very good player.

You can talk highly of a player and not give him the 5th year.  They may like him in his current role, but I feel he is replaceable. If Paye went down with an injury for the whole year do you think his loss would impact the team? I really don't because of what he brings as an edge rusher, You can keep that 13 million and decide to resign him next year or go after someone else in free agency. To me, it is not a huge gamble in just letting it play out. I don't expect him to all of a sudden be that guy. I also feel that they covet Dayo more than Paye.  

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

But those are FA deals. They are sort of bidding against themselves right now. I am more curious why it took so long. I figured they would wait until after the draft anyways, but they really waited til the 11th hour. 

It probably was close decision in their mind and thus it took until after the draft to make the decision.

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

It probably was close decision in their mind and thus it took until after the draft to make the decision.

It was def not a no-brainer for them...or they likely do it much earlier. It almost has to be the end of Dayo in Indy because now they have Latu, Paye, Lewis and Ebukam under contract through 2025. 

I would have said Yes, to exercise it.  While I think he is a disappointment as an edge rusher drafted at 21, I think at this point he's shown to be a good LDE and all around player there, so having him on board is a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

you will probably have your answer if you did a search on the average salary for an edge setting RDE in the NFL.

I think he’s worth around $10-$13 million per.  That’s the beauty of having talent on rookie deals at premium positions.  You can afford to pay for other players in the meantime.

Just now, smittywerb said:

I think he’s worth around $10-$13 million per.  That’s the beauty of having talent on rookie deals at premium positions.  You can afford to pay for other players in the meantime.

yeah but you can also hold onto that 13 mill and get a player in free agency next year that will have more of an impact than simply paying Paye

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Dayo is improving, Paye has plateaued.

I was somewhat with you on most of your comments until I got to this one.  There is no way you or anyone else could know at this point if Paye has plateaued.  

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

yeah but you can also hold onto that 13 mill and get a player in free agency next year that will have more of an impact than simply paying Paye

Who are other edge setting DEs that make less than 13 and get 8 sacks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

It was def not a no-brainer for them...or they likely do it much earlier. It almost has to be the end of Dayo in Indy because now they have Latu, Paye, Lewis and Ebukam under contract through 2025. 

Huh?   You think 4 DE’s is enough?   The Colts often have 6.   He’s coming off his best year.   He has position versatility.   I seriously doubt this is the end of Dayo.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who are other edge setting DEs that make less than 13 and get 8 sacks

Here is a project for you Go to NFL sack leaders and look at the DE salaries starting at Kwitty and work yourself down.  Then tell me what the average salary is for those guys. Not DT's or LBs but DE's who's primary role is to rush the passer and set the edge

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You are the one claiming you can get basically the same player for less money.    Who are they?

Well when free agency 2025 rolls around then we can have that discussion. Lets say for example a guy like Hunter, who the Colts wanted this , was a free agent next year.   Would you rather have  Kwitty at 13 million in his 5th year or had the 13 mill plus another few million to sign say a rush end like Hunter in 2025? To me its not about picking up the fifth becaue you have the money. Its can we use that money in the future to use towards a more impactful player