Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

• Trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr
    • Initiate a trade back and acquire more draft picks
    • Stand pat and select at #15
    • Accept another team's offer to move in to the #15 slot

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/26/2024 at 12:02 PM

20 minutes ago, masterlock said:

That would be great, however, it's all too easy to imagine Ballard saying something to the effect of, "We like our wide receiver room." He just re-signed Pittman, and may feel that Downs and Pierce will breakout in their 2nd and 3rd years respectively. Plus, the Colts have lots of TEs. I'd like to see the Colts trade-up if necessary to get Bowers or one of the 3 top WRs, but I think they'll go defense--CB, most likely.

Downs broke out in year one. He has incredible quickness off the line, and is fast enough to take most any match up deep. He also sees holes in the  zones instantly, he is a great slot. We do have all the necessary receiving weapon to exploit a D. Of course a 3rd WR that plays fast would be a great add. 3rd rd makes sense.

On 4/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, Yoshinator said:

I think we stand pat at 15. Mitchell or Arnold might be there at 15, Bowers might be there at 15, Brian Thomas is another one. There's also the EDGE rushers. I'm guessing someone that Ballard has in the top 10 of his rankings will fall to 15, and he'll stand pat and take him there.

I've heard the rumors of trading up for a WR, I just don't believe them. 

Agreed.  Guys will be left after the top 3 r gone. 

I think we stand pat at 15. Mitchell or Arnold might be there at 15, Bowers might be there at 15, Brian Thomas is another one. There's also the EDGE rushers. I'm guessing someone that Ballard has in the top 10 of his rankings will fall to 15, and he'll stand pat and take him there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

We could go corner in the 2nd and get the same quality  as the first as we run a zone scheme.  Plus let's  not forget  flowers is an undrafted guy.

I love Flowers as a returner I was the lone person in his corner his rookie year, just not sure he is a true corner at this level, thought Jones played above his draft spot last year but if we can get an elite Zone Corner would help a bunch. I hate zone as do many here and everywhere else but Gus isnt changing.

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Did you have a stroke?  Are you ok,

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m thinking a trade back is most likely. I’m just hoping it’s not out of the 1st round(unless there’s a future number 1 given, then I might be okay with it)

I would say the odds we trade back out of the first round are zero. 

He just mentioned that they have 19-21 players with first round grades. We are guaranteed to get one of them where we pick. There are probably 10-12 BLUE chip prospects. We are lucky as many teams need a QB & OLINE ahead of us. We’ll have a ton of options at 15.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I would say the odds we trade back out of the first round are zero. 

He just mentioned that they have 19-21 players with first round grades. We are guaranteed to get one of them where we pick. There are probably 10-12 BLUE chip prospects. We are lucky as many teams need a QB & OLINE ahead of us. We’ll have a ton of options at 15.

I hope you’re right. Granted, there is no guarantee of an impact player at pick 1, let alone 15, the chances are higher in your favor. Though the later rounds can and do yield some stars too, Pittman, JT, Downs, Braden, Bethea, Purdy, the evil number 12 that finally retired, etc

On 4/19/2024 at 2:50 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

LOL. Will any guys be left after the top 3 r gone ?

What we need is a few QB hungry teams to trade up in front of us, and I'm hoping a couple do.  Also teams trading up to grab OT's.  Either we get a stud at 15 or (most likely) trade back 5-8 spots and still land a great talent.

BUT...just one time I'd like to see Ballard get aggressive and trade up to get a top WR.  Then spend that extra cap space on a FA DB/Safety.  The rest of the draft picks remaining he can fill the roster with RAS super stars or trade down....I don't really care.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was thinking that we would trade back to 20s and take AD Mitchell

it is the lying season but people are starting to say he is a head case. 

Brian Thomas or Latu at 15

I would think we'd have to stay ahead of the Bengals to get Thomas, and the Rams to get Latu. Just my guess. Wouldn't mind either of them at 15, I'm guessing both will be there.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was thinking that we would trade back to 20s and take AD Mitchell

it is the lying season but people are starting to say he is a head case. 

Brian Thomas or Latu at 15

That’s where I’d go too. But I do think Mitchell goes higher than you see in many mocks. He’s a serious talent and has an almost perfect RAS, so you know Ballard has taken a close look. If he trades back, it’s because he believes he can still get a top talent. In that case, Mitchell would be my prediction. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 6:03 PM, holeymoley99 said:

I love Flowers as a returner I was the lone person in his corner his rookie year, just not sure he is a true corner at this level, thought Jones played above his draft spot last year but if we can get an elite Zone Corner would help a bunch. I hate zone as do many here and everywhere else but Gus isnt changing.

We play man almost 30% of the time. That is slightly below the middle of the pack.  Very few teams are heavy man. Gus is so conservative because Ballard/Dodds give him at best 2nd rate back 7 talent.

It couldn't be more obvious.

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:51 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Downs broke out in year one. He has incredible quickness off the line, and is fast enough to take most any match up deep. He also sees holes in the  zones instantly, he is a great slot. We do have all the necessary receiving weapon to exploit a D. Of course a 3rd WR that plays fast would be a great add. 3rd rd makes sense.

We need a speedy  outside guy to take pressure  off pittman  and downs. Can't  count on pierce improving so wr in first or second would be ideal. By the third round it may be hard to find an elite outside  guy to compliment  pittman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

We need a speedy  outside guy to take pressure  off pittman  and downs. Can't  count on pierce improving so wr in first or second would be ideal. By the third round it may be hard to find an elite outside  guy to compliment  pittman.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is still craving an edge rusher.  That’s why he tried for Hunter.  I think if Dallas Turner falls to 10 I think that’s striking distance and he will move up to get him.  Can always go WR later.

I’m good with that, and if we still have a 2nd I would love to land Xavier Legette.  That kid looks like a beast and might be steal of the draft.

On 4/19/2024 at 5:50 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It’s rich alright.  I can see him throwing bombs to any number of receivers in this class.

BTJ is another one that would be fun. Especially given the size. You could see some jump ball stuff that would be fun. But that might be rich at 15 too. I’m seeing BTJ going in the mid to late 20s now. Might be a trade down guy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

BTJ is another one that would be fun. Especially given the size. You could see some jump ball stuff that would be fun. But that might be rich at 15 too. I’m seeing BTJ going in the mid to late 20s now. Might be a trade down guy.

Just watched a Steve Smith Lance Zeurline evaluation of the top 10 receivers in the draft. Both have BTJ as #4. Both said he would likely be expected to come in as a teams #1 receiver, but he has not been in that role playing opposite Nabors, The Alpha at LSU,  and that expectation could be negative in his development in the NFL. Both said the Colts would be an ideal situation for him with Pittman being the top dog in the receiver room, and allow him to not have the #1 pressure on him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It’s rich alright.  I can see him throwing bombs to any number of receivers in this class.

I understand  the fastest wr with the qb with arguably the biggest  arm. He on the small side though.

5 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I’m good with that, and if we still have a 2nd I would love to land Xavier Legette.  That kid looks like a beast and might be steal of the draft.

It's  risky to pick him as he broke out late.

If the Colts pick a WR in the first, I hope they go with someone with consistent proven production in college. The WR position is very tough in the NFL and prolongs development for those learning the position. I would prefer a player that can impact games through his rookie contract and not start to “break out” year three or four. I have no idea how to determine that so easier said than done. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If the Colts pick a WR in the first, I hope they go with someone with consistent proven production in college. The WR position is very tough in the NFL and prolongs development for those learning the position. I would prefer a player that can impact games through his rookie contract and not start to “break out” year three or four. I have no idea how to determine that so easier said than done. 

Someone I want to stay away from is Xavier Worthy. I'm thinking he will be a bust. His hands are bad, and he doesn't seem to me like he is a very good football player. I know we interviewed with him and it makes me nervous. I don't even want him in a trade down tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Someone I want to stay away from is Xavier Worthy. I'm thinking he will be a bust. His hands are bad, and he doesn't seem to me like he is a very good football player. I know we interviewed with him and it makes me nervous. I don't even want him in a trade down tbh.

I prefer a team full of good football players and 3 “stars” at QB, DE and RB/WR positions.  When rosters are top heavy with highly paid 5-6 star players they can have holes in other positions.  It’s definitely a balancing act of choosing the right guys and I’m glad it’s not my job. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I prefer a team full of good football players and 3 “stars” at QB, DE and RB/WR positions.  When rosters are top heavy with highly paid 5-6 star players they can have holes in other positions.  It’s definitely a balancing act of choosing the right guys and I’m glad it’s not my job. 

I prefer a star at QB, WR, EDGE, and CB. I wish it was my job. This is something I would love to do. I would thrive at the challenge of taking over an NFL team as GM, building my own coaching staff, my own scouting staff, my own team, and making add/drops, balancing the salary cap, and getting players via the draft, trades, and FA. 

When I focus on one thing and have interest, I want to be the best in the world at it. I want to succeed at it. I give my all towards accomplishing that goal. I would do anything to be in Ballards shoes and be able to build a team to win a SB for the city of Indy. 

I'll make a bold prediction. Within 10 years, there will be a youtube personality or Madden player that will end up being a HC or GM in the NFL. Logan and Jake Paul have already started this in WWE and Boxing to an extent, and there will be more to follow. I feel at some point, someone will take a chance on someone who is famous in the football world among fans and give them a shot at the big time. 

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I prefer a star at QB, WR, EDGE, and CB. I wish it was my job. This is something I would love to do. I would thrive at the challenge of taking over an NFL team as GM, building my own coaching staff, my own scouting staff, my own team, and making add/drops, balancing the salary cap, and getting players via the draft, trades, and FA. 

When I focus on one thing and have interest, I want to be the best in the world at it. I want to succeed at it. I give my all towards accomplishing that goal. I would do anything to be in Ballards shoes and be able to build a team to win a SB for the city of Indy. 

I'll make a bold prediction. Within 10 years, there will be a youtube personality or Madden player that will end up being a HC or GM in the NFL. Logan and Jake Paul have already started this in WWE and Boxing to an extent, and there will be more to follow. I feel at some point, someone will take a chance on someone who is famous in the football world among fans and give them a shot at the big time. 

I can see that happening if and only if the person either played football or has been around football in some capacity. Think JT O’Sullivan type of personality. 

I can’t see someone who’s only background is Madden just stepping in and managing millions of dollars worth of assets. 

11 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

What Incredulous GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I can see that happening if and only if the person either played football or has been around football in some capacity. Think JT O’Sullivan type of personality. 

I can’t see someone who’s only background is Madden just stepping in and managing millions of dollars worth of assets. 

With the Madden comment, I'm thinking someone like a former top player who takes the jump from Madden into the NFL and works his way up. There's a lot to Madden like building playbooks and learning schemes that are similar to a HC. So although it would take a lot work, I could see someone doing it within 10 years. 

26 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Within 10 years, there will be a youtube personality or Madden player that will end up being a HC or GM in the NFL.

They wont have enough experience dealing with players and coaches in person to land the job.  

No way dude.  They would be very lucky to get any job in a teams office, it wouldnt be HC or GM.  You cant madden your way to head coach, you have to prove you can work with people in person 

• Thanks 2

Just now, BlackTiger said:

They wont have enough experience dealing with players and coaches in person to land the job.  

No way dude.  They would be very lucky to get any job in a teams office, it wouldnt be HC or GM

It's a bold prediction. Which is why I'm giving it 10 years. 

You can call WWE scripted, but they trust Logan Paul enough to give him the U.S. Title and make them money with it because he's good at what he does. He's still a top draw in a billion-dollar business. If the person is good enough, then they'll get a chance. I believe that being famous on youtube for football content that is intelligent or being a madden world champion could get your foot in the door if you actually have the passion and are willing to take it serious.

The new generation grows up on Madden that likes the NFL now. The players in the NFL like Madden more than ever before. I guarantee the kids working their way up as scouts do as well. It could happen. Youtube gives an opportunity for those who want it.

Just now, Yoshinator said:

It's a bold prediction.

Its straight up naive.  No one is giving a madden player millions of$ to lead rosters of 50+ people plus the rest of the staff.

You cant prove you can do that on madden and HC and GM are too big for that kind of risk.  No one will do it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

It's a bold prediction. Which is why I'm giving it 10 years. 

You can call WWE scripted, but they trust Logan Paul enough to give him the U.S. Title and make them money with it because he's good at what he does. He's still a top draw in a billion-dollar business. If the person is good enough, then they'll get a chance. I believe that being famous on youtube for football content that is intelligent or being a madden world champion could get your foot in the door if you actually have the passion and are willing to take it serious.

The new generation grows up on Madden that likes the NFL now. The players in the NFL like Madden more than ever before. I guarantee the kids working their way up as scouts do as well. It could happen. Youtube gives an opportunity for those who want it.

WWE is fake.   It's an act.   They can script what ever they want.   The NFL isn't

How would being good at Madden make you qualified to work in a front office at any level?

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Its straight up naive.  No one is giving a madden player millions of$ to lead rosters of 50+ people plus the rest of the staff.

You cant prove you can do that on madden and HC and GM are too big for that kind of risk.  No one will do it.

Correction. No one will give a Madden player those things immediately. They will give him on opportunity to work his way up because of the qualification of being a famous top Madden player. After that, it's up to him to prove himself. Hence the 10 year window.