Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Backup QB talk (MERGE)

atapcl

18 minutes ago, IinD said:

I feel like that Patriot game should've closed and buried and burned the book on him .. Lol

Sam wasn’t ready to play.  Frank started him because he was ORDERED to by Irsay and Ballard.   Sam was sacked 9 times.  The story of the game wasn’t Sam.   It was the offensive line disappearing in front of him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan, Sam stinks, sorry. He is a greet guy but if you think he is a #2 than I am not sure what to tell ya haha .

2006….   Sam MIGHT stink, sorry.  But no one has seen him enough to know one way or another.   Not in a fair setting.   I don’t think he’s a QB2.   Not at all.   But he’s fine as a QB3.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

2006….   Sam MIGHT stink, sorry.  But no one has seen him enough to know one way or another.   Not in a fair setting.   I don’t think he’s a QB2.   Not at all.   But he’s fine as a QB3.    

We agree then. Yes, he is a #3. I just misunderstood your thinking. He belongs on the roster and could play in emergency situations. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sam wasn’t ready to play.  Frank started him because he was ORDERED to by Irsay and Ballard.   Sam was sacked 9 times.  The story of the game wasn’t Sam.   It was the offensive line disappearing in front of him.  

We were told because Sam was mobile he would make the oline look much better than it did with Ryan.

With all due respect Sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFan, Sam stinks, sorry. He is a greet guy but if you think he is a #2 than I am not sure what to tell ya haha .

I agree. 1000% 

Sam is 2 years a 3rd string QB.  

His odds of being a starter…. Ever ……are not good at all

I would rather have a rookie QB like Joe Milton in round 5 who has many tendencies like AR AND has the tools to be a backup to AR next year

Not sure why that’s confusing or sad to you

NewColtsFan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I agree. 1000% 

Sam is 2 years a 3rd string QB.  

His odds of being a starter…. Ever ……are not good at all

I would rather have a rookie QB like Joe Milton in round 5 who has many tendencies like AR AND has the tools to be a backup to AR next year

NewColtsFan

I agree. He gave me a sad face and that was the only reason I responded. 

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Didn’t even think of Jimmy G as an option. The raiders are still him a good amount of money too I believe

I don’t think Jimmy G isn’t a franchise Qb but I think he has the same ceiling, maybe a bit higher, as Minshew as far as a backup roll goes

2 hours ago, cjwhiskers said:

I would like a vet but not sure who they will get. Could see them go after:

• Jacoby Brissett
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Justin Fields
  • Zach Wilson
  • Josh Dobbs

Fields. Go get him...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I feel 100 % confident,  Jelani will not be the new backup qb

Sorry for this post. This was supposed to be moved to another thread topic.

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. He gave me a sad face and that was the only reason I responded. 

And also the reason I responded as well

I have always thought that a BETTER response verse a emoji, is a simple dialog......

"I don't really agree with that because............."

THATS dialog between Colts fans

I personally dont care if someone disagrees with me...... I dont know everything.......

Help me to understand your point

Use of an EMOJI to try to make you or anyone else look stupid is weak and pathetic........ 

Just state your case in a professional manner.......  I will listen!

• Thanks 1

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I have always thought that a BETTER response verse a emoji, is a simple dialog......

I personally dont care if someone disagrees with me...... I dont know everything.......

Use of an EMOJI to try to make you or anyone else look stupid is weak and pathetic........  Just state your case in a professional manner.......  I will listen!

Yeah, if someone gives me a confused face or sad face, I will call them out but not always. I usually do it with the better posters because I am trying to figure out what I posted was wrong :thmup:

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, if someone gives me a confused face or sad face, I will call them out but not always. I usually do it with the better posters because I am trying to figure out what I posted was wrong :thmup:

I cant remember the last time I gave anyone, before today a confused or sad face.......  I do give the laugh emoji

Life is too short.

Some people come on here and are struggling with something, (Maybe cancer or a loss in the family) and this board might be their only outlet....... I would hate to be rough on someone that is going thru something at any point. I cant tell the hurt that they might have.

Better to be positive...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Fields. Go get him...

I could see the benefit, but its very tough for a former starter to come in and play behind a player that is not yet as good as Fields is.....

IMHO it would be too tough on both of them

Fields will be starting somewhere

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

NewColtsFan

Some Joe Milton highlights. 

Does anyone notice the similarities to AR ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Some Joe Milton highlights. 

Does anyone notice the similarities to AR ?

They look like the same person.......

Joe Milton will need much work, but he could be our 3rd string this year and 2nd next year........

He can run almost the same offense that AR runs

That time MIGHT make him a viable trade candidate later

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

We were told because Sam was mobile he would make the oline look much better than it did with Ryan.

With all due respect Sir

I know that’s what we were told.   This was revealed at Frank’s intro press conference in Carolina.  

Ballard annd Irsay ordered him to start Sam because they had benched Ryan.  The team was worried if Ryan was hurt they’d be on the hook for too much of his contract.   Frank did NOT want to start Sam.   He was ordered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atapcl said:

Now that Minshew is gone will Ehlinger become the backup quarterback?

I don't know who it will be, but I would not pick Sam to be the #1 back-up QB. I am traumatized that Minshew is gone!!  Seriously, I really liked Gardner but Sam's not the answer.  Who knows if Richardson won't get hurt again?  What IF!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I could see the benefit, but its very tough for a former starter to come in and play behind a player that is not yet as good as Fields is.....

IMHO it would be too tough on both of them

Fields will be starting somewhere

If the price is right sometimes it could be strategic. Backup this year, possibly needed if QB is glass again, trade value next year or at deadline who knows. There is value there either way

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know that’s what we were told.   This was revealed at Frank’s intro press conference in Carolina.  

Ballard annd Irsay ordered him to start Sam because they had benched Ryan.  The team was worried if Ryan was hurt they’d be on the hook for too much of his contract.   Frank did NOT want to start Sam.   He was ordered. 

Mr. NCF. With all due respect sir I never heard Frank was ordered to to start Sam.

How do you know this ? Can you provide a link?

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Mr. NCF. With all due respect sir I never heard Frank was ordered to to start Sam.

How do you know this ? Can you provide a link?

I read it in a story about Franks introductory press conference.   Someone asked him if he was surprised to be fired.  
His answer was that he wasn’t at all surprised.  Then said, when they take away your ability to choose your starting QB (he wanted Ryan) then the next step after that was “you’re fired.”

I don’t link from my phone.   But the stories I’d look for would be the Carolina intro presser, plus the Colts story where they admitted they were going to bench Ryan earlier in the season, but he threw for about 450 yards in an OT win vs JVille or Tenn.  And the Colts thought it would look bad to bench Ryan after such a great game.   Sorry I can’t do better.  I’m away from home with the wife.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Fields. Go get him...

He would be an interesting option but I think the drama it would cause could have a detrimental effect on the season.  That would be quite a demotion for a young player knowing he will not be playing or even competing for the starting job.  The Colts would really have to be sure of his acceptance of a new role.  At this stage of his career I’m not convinced he could do it.  An older veteran would be less of a gamble and a safer route for the team to take imo.

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Use of an EMOJI to try to make you or anyone else look stupid is weak and pathetic........ 

Just state your case in a professional manner.......  I will listen!

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hungry Gossip GIF by giphystudios2021

Richardson has been injury-prone. That's one of the many reasons he only started 13 games in college. I can see Fields. From what's being reported, it wouldn't take much, most likely a day 3 pick...

7 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Richardson has been injury-prone. That's one of the many reasons he only started 13 games in college. I can see Fields. From what's being reported, it wouldn't take much, most likely a day 3 pick...

Actually no, he wasn’t injured in college. But nice try

• Like 1