Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Backup QB talk (MERGE)

atapcl

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think Jimmy G is toast.

He is better than Drew Lock and he wins a lot when he has a good team around him, you may be right though because he didn't look good last year. He had no time to throw though. Our O.Line was pretty good last year. 

maybe backup QB isn't as big a need as people are making it out to be. If Richardson goes down again this season, we might as well restart anyway. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Certainly more experienced.   

I would take Drew Lock over Sam all day if I had that choice to make. I seem like a Sam basher, so I feel bad in a way because he is a Colt but he just isn't any good. He is a 3rd string QB that barely makes a roster IMO. Sam made it to the show and has been with us for a while, at least he has that. 

Thinking out loud…..

One possibility for consideration….  Bills CB Tradarious (sp?) White.  He tore a chilies and released.   He might be ready later in the season, but the goal would be to get him in on a multi-year deal at a bit of a discount. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is better than Drew Lock and he wins a lot when he has a good team around him, you may be right though because he didn't look good last year. He had no time to throw though. Our O.Line was pretty good last year. 

His movement, pocket presence, arm strength, and accuracy, were all noticeably worse last year. He gives nothing off schedule. He got hurt again last season. And he's suspended the first two games of the season. I see him as a shadow of 2022 Matt Ryan.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

His movement, pocket presence, arm strength, and accuracy, were all noticeably worse last year. He gives nothing off schedule. He got hurt again last season. And he's suspended the first two games of the season. I see him as a shadow of 2022 Matt Ryan.

That is a fair assessment because he had a bad year. I just like his experience of winning and making right decisions when throwing the ball. He did take the 49ers to a SB and an NFC Titke Game after that so his resume is good for a backup.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/drew-lock-agrees-to-sign-with-giants

Drew Lock agrees to sign with Giants

...NFL Media reports that Drew Lock has agreed to sign with the team once the new league year is underway. Other reports indicate it is a one-year, $5 million deal...

Lock is gone, I was going to say Mariota but he is gone too. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who knows….  Maybe Steichen likes Sam?   

@BProland85

Steichen has done a very good job with QBs everywhere he’s been.   San Diego with Rivers and Hebert.  Philly with Hurts.  Colts with AR and Minshew.   

Do you really want to laugh at any decision he might make with a QB?   You really think you know better?    Really?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thinking out loud…..

One possibility for consideration….  Bills CB Tradarious (sp?) White.  He tore a chilies and released.   He might be ready later in the season, but the goal would be to get him in on a multi-year deal at a bit of a discount. 

I can see Ballard signing White given we shore up at safety. But, he tends to wait until week 2 to bring in these vets on visits/physicals before a signing

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Sam plays most of the year and we win the division, Shane should get coach of the decade homer simpson laughing GIF

Again….   Personally, I only like Sam as QB3….   But I’d never think I know more than Steichen.   He sees him every day.  He has a much better understanding of Sam than the rest of us — me included.  

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I can see Ballard signing White given we shore up at safety. But, he tends to wait until week 2 to bring in these vets on visits/physicals before a signing

Agreed….  Except Ballard may not have that luxury this time.  Other teams may want to move on White this week, so CB may have to as well.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Again….   Personally, I only like Sam as QB3….   But I’d never think I know more than Steichen.   He sees him every day.  He has a much better understanding of Sam than the rest of us — me included.  

I agree, Shane has my ultimate respect after the season we had last year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thinking out loud…..

Wrong thread? 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Options left. Drew Loxk might not be a bad option.

So if this is where we are I honestly prefer Fields to any of these guys.  I think he fits our offense better.  I wouldn’t mind trading a day three pick for him.  I read where it isn’t a highly rated overall class to begin with so a day three pick is fine with me.

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So if this is where we are I honestly prefer Fields to any of these guys.  I think he fits our offense better.  I wouldn’t mind trading a day three pick for him.  I read where it isn’t a highly rated overall class to begin with so a day three pick is fine with me.

Kevin Bowen said same thing I said on his podcast today. He wouldn’t do it because if things get tough what happens. Like I said he wants no drama around Richardson. Nothing to do with Fields but the drama that could come.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Kevin Bowen said same thing I said on his podcast today. He wouldn’t do it because if things get tough what happens. Like I said he wants no drama around Richardson. Nothing to do with Fields but the drama that could come.

I mentioned the drama in an earlier post.  It does worry me. That’s the only downside for me.  He and the Colts really need to be on the same page on what his role is.  I’m not sure he could do it.  But skill wise he would fit in nicely.  We will see.

Keep in mind the AFC South is a tough place to be now and there are no "good" backup QB available if we are talking winning games. If the Colts can't beat Houston twice they will be in trouble making the playoffs in the AFC.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So if we don’t bring in a quarterback in FA it might mean we will ride with Sam for now and acquire Fields when the Bears make their decision.

They also could still go after Tannehill or Dobbs?

But personally, I would like us to draft another QB. and roll with AR, Sam and the rookie.

My pick would be  QB Joe Milton III

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Like I said he wants no drama around Richardson. Nothing to do with Fields but the drama 

Yeah, I heard Kevin say that.  I thought it was a little short-sighted.    If Richardson has an injury plagued season or is knocked out for the year in week 6, is he still your future?   Are you still worried about his feelings and emotional state?Things can change pretty quickly in the NFL.

Fields isn't happening, but based on what we saw last year, Indy might be the exact spot where you should hedge your bets with two young QBs.

Personally, I would be happy with a Minshew/Tannehill type vet.

6 hours ago, #12. said:

Yeah, I heard Kevin say that.  I thought it was a little short-sighted.    If Richardson has an injury plagued season or is knocked out for the year in week 6, is he still your future?   Are you still worried about his feelings and emotional state?Things can change pretty quickly in the NFL.

Fields isn't happening, but based on what we saw last year, Indy might be the exact spot where you should hedge your bets with two young QBs.

Personally, I would be happy with a Minshew/Tannehill type vet.

Yes, he would still be the future. The last thing AR needs is to be looking over his shoulder.  Fields would be sitting on the bench a year from free-agency. He would be unhappy that he’s not able to increase his market value sitting on the bench.  It’s a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  I would rather have a vet who knows what his roll is. 

• Like 2

Based off of the attached list of free agent QB's............if you squint REALLY HARD you could possibly see a Joshua Dobbs or a Tyler Huntley as possibilities? But even THAT is a stretch!

Joe Milton in the draft seems like a natural back-up to AR5 as they are similar in skill set and similar in measurables........

Screenshot 2024-03-12 234213.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Based off of the attached list of free agent QB's............if you squint REALLY HARD you could possibly see a Joshua Dobbs or a Tyler Huntley as possibilities? But even THAT is a stretch!

Joe Milton in the draft seems like a natural back-up to AR5 as they are similar in skill set and similar in measurables........

Screenshot 2024-03-12 234213.jpg

Teddy Bridgewater has retired from football, I believe.

Drafting a back-up is fine, but don't expect their play to be anywhere close to even Minshew.