Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Backup QB talk (MERGE)

atapcl

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Huntley, Winston, & Tannehill are all available. I wouldn’t be surprised if we wait a few days to let the market cool down & sign whoever is left of the 3.

Yes, and if nothing else, if it is just a few games, Joshua Dobbs would be fine for me. But hopefully it is not for more than 2 or 3 games.

I understand the perceived value of a having a veteran in the QB room - I really do.  That said, I'm tired of the carousel of mediocrity - all these non-starting-quality veterans constantly bouncing around and milking the cow. The Colts had a pretty darn good veteran last season...and still missed the playoffs.  Keep Sam and draft QB3 in the mid-rounds.  JMO.

:lecture::hide::hat:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Huntley, Winston, & Tannehill are all available. I wouldn’t be surprised if we wait a few days to let the market cool down & sign whoever is left of the 3.

No worries for me at backup.  More pressing matters to address.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No worries for me at backup.  More pressing matters to address.

Until Richardson gets hurt and everyone yells bloody murder at Ballard for not having a quality backup and not learning from other times the starter has been hurt.

54 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Of the choices available in free agency I’d say…….draft a qb.

Not a great plan to have a rookie backing up a QB who is in his second year and having missed most of last season.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Until Richardson gets hurt and everyone yells bloody murder at Ballard for not having a quality backup and not learning from other times the starter has been hurt.

Not a great plan to have a rookie backing up a QB who is in his second year and having missed most of last season.

Perhaps but if AR goes down do you really think we will get very far anyway with the free agent qbs that are available?

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Sam will again be the backup next season. Dodd everyone forget he was actually the backup last season.

Sam was QB3 last season at the start.   He was QB2 once AR went down.   It was not ideal.   Just because he was QB2 last season doesn’t necessarily mean it’s what the Colts want this season. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sam was QB3 last season at the start.   He was QB2 once AR went down.   It was not ideal.   Just because he was QB2 last season doesn’t necessarily mean it’s what the Colts want this season. 

He was still Minshew backup. Ballard never went and signed anyone when Richardson got hurt. All the backup options are now signed elsewhere.

With Sam, I would love to hear what Steichen thinks of him.  If, in recent months, the local media has asked him one question about Sam, I don't remember it.  

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was still Minshew backup. Ballard never went and signed anyone when Richardson got hurt. All the backup options are now signed elsewhere.

No.  Not all.  Brissett, Huntley,  Dobbs, and still several others.  I saw a list late last night.    

Now it’s possible that Steichen thinks that Sam will be fine as QB.   Possible.  And maybe Steichen has an eye on drafting a new QB3 on Day 3.    That’s also possible. 

We won’t know until Day 2 or 3 of the draft.  I’d guess day 3.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

No.  Not all.  Brissett, Huntley,  Dobbs, and still several others.  I saw a list late last night.    

Now it’s possible that Steichen thinks that Sam will be fine as QB.   Possible.  And maybe Steichen has an eye on drafting a new QB3 on Day 3.    That’s also possible. 

We won’t know until Day 2 or 3 of the draft.   I’d guess day 3.   

Brissett signed with NE

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

With Sam, I would love to hear what Steichen thinks of him.  If, in recent months, the local media has asked him one question about Sam, I don't remember it.  

They haven’t. He might actually suceed in a Steichen RPO offense.

Winston and Mariota are off the board.  Tyler Huntley is abott the only one out there still.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Options left. Drew Loxk might not be a bad option.

Tannehill or Lock. Ballard needs to make a move or two . I'm laying here recovering from retina detachment surgery and need some positive news .

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Tannehill or Lock. Ballard needs to make a move or two . I'm laying here recovering from retina detachment surgery and need some positive news .

Well,   your retina is no longer detached.  That's pretty good news

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Options left. Drew Loxk might not be a bad option.

I don't want Dobbs. I happened to actually watch the guy play last year, and he was worse than I think people realize.

I'd consider Drew Lock, but I think the best fit from that list is Tannehill. Huntley would be a nice backup, but if we need someone to play for a few games, I'd rather have Tannehill. And then maybe keep in mind that the Falcons and Giants might be considering moving off of Daniel Jones and Desmond Ridder.

I'm a Steichen believer, and I think any of these guys would benefit from being coached by him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't want Dobbs. I happened to actually watch the guy play last year, and he was worse than I think people realize.

I'd consider Drew Lock, but I think the best fit from that list is Tannehill. Huntley would be a nice backup, but if we need someone to play for a few games, I'd rather have Tannehill. And then maybe keep in mind that the Falcons and Giants might be considering moving off of Daniel Jones and Desmond Ridder.

I'm a Steichen believer, and I think any of these guys would benefit from being coached by him.

Tannehill is easily the best.   He’s also easily the most expensive and likely looking for a better opportunity than the Colts can give him.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tannehill is easily the best.   He’s also easily the most expensive and likely looking for a better opportunity than the Colts can give him.  

I guess we'll see. I wonder if Minshew and Darnold kind of stole his thunder, and if the remaining teams who need starters will be looking for younger players. Even the Pats went with Brissett, who's five years younger. 

And as far as backup spots go, I think the Colts would be considered a decent opportunity, because Richardson's ability to stay healthy is still in question. But that's JMO.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Irsay wouldn’t have it.  If I had to pick a FA qb I’d  prob bring in Tannehill.

I was going to say - you guys really want to kill Jim, don't you? :D 

With Tannehill, you would be in roughly the same position you were with Minshew.  If Richardson is out four games, Tannehill could split them.  If Richardson is out for the season, you could go 9-8, maybe 10-7, if things go right.