Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Backup QB talk (MERGE)

atapcl

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Yes, he would still be the future. The last thing AR needs is to be looking over his shoulder.  Fields would be sitting on the bench a year from free-agency. He would be unhappy that he’s not able to increase his market value sitting on the bench.  It’s a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  I would rather have a vet who knows what his roll is. 

I felt this way originally but now I’ve totally changed my mind and think it would be a smart move.  Many of the reasons for doing it are posted earlier and make a lot of sense for me.  I like the fact that he is still very young and if AR does not turn out or he continues to have injury issues we would have a young veteran with upside on the roster.   Chicago is a franchise that has a history of being poorly run.  I think coming to the Colts and playing in Steichen’s system is a perfect scenario.  The move gives me the same vibes as Lance going to the Cowboys to sit behind Dak.  Both he and Justin would be taking a step backwards for awhile.  But the future is still promising because they are both still young.  I think he would be a good choice for this year.  Figure out 2025 when we have to.

If Ballard doesn’t get a dependable veteran backup QB that could cost him his job as Richardson hasn’t proven he can stay a full season. He needs to go out and get someone along with getting a starter or two at safety, another corner, a backup RB, and probably another LB in FA. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I felt this way originally but now I’ve totally changed my mind and think it would be a smart move.  Many of the reasons for doing it are posted earlier and make a lot of sense for me.  I like the fact that he is still very young and if AR does not turn out or he continues to have injury issues we would have a young veteran with upside on the roster.   Chicago is a franchise that has a history of being poorly run.  I think coming to the Colts and playing in Steichen’s system is a perfect scenario.  The move gives me the same vibes as Lance going to the Cowboys to sit behind Dak.  Both he and Justin would be taking a step backwards for awhile.  But the future is still promising because they are both still young.  I think he would be a good choice for this year.  Figure out 2025 when we have to.

If the money is right this would be a good move. The Steichen offense requires a qb to take hits on designed run plays — and obviously AR hasn’t shown that he can survive such hits. And of course the great players all play hurt. Will AR be willing to do that? 

38 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bears getting ready to trade Fields?   Colts possibly.

Think Fields is going to Seattle, with Lock now gone to New York it opens up their room as only Geno Smith remains and he came back down to earth in 2023 after a 2022 run that came out of nowhere.

I am in favor of siging Flacco, drafting Joe Milton, and moving on from Ehlinger.  We get a mentor in Flacco with alot of football knowledge, and a Practice Squad arm in Milton with similar attributes to AR to develop.

• Like 2

I like it.  Won’t be able to run the same offense with him, but our offense won’t be limited to checkdowns either.  Flacco is gonna let that thing go!  He also has experience in big games and can mentor AR.

i like it. 

• Like 1

• w87r locked this topic