Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What did the Superbowl teach us about team building?

Moosejawcolt

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Having the refs not call obvious illegal man down field helps.   But the key is either a great qb or a great defense.   The 49ners looked like the better team , but they didn't win.   

I agree, that is what sucks about losing, hardly nobody looks at the losing team and says they were better but still lost. I felt like SF controlled 3/4 of that game but made so many dumb mistakes that they beat themselves. The extra point blunder (should have been 17-13) and I would have kicked to begin OT because of the new rules as well. 2 huge Gaffe's right there. Brock Purdy is pretty much what I expected, a good QB but iffy in clutch situations. He had too many bad passes on 3rd and short and too many balls getting deflected as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

need a lot of elite talent everywhere, not just average, 

I'd say outside of a few well known players, KC is filled with mostly average talent right now. San Fran on the other hand, I'd say they are littered with elite talent almost everywhere, but qb.

Defense: Continually running zone with no pass rush/never blitzing is a recipe for disaster. 

This happens to be exactly what the Colts "cook up" up every single game. It continues to result in average/to below average QB's looking amazing. Until something happens where they get a legit pass rusher or change scheme, it will be more of the same this year unfortunately.  

Offense: Colts finally have a great QB, so that is the hard part. Just has to stay healthy. 

Re-sign Pitmann, but we need a legit #1 target for AR5 

I agree with what's already been said, and would draft Bowers @ TE. That will get the mismatches we need and hopefully get some heat off Downs and Pierce so that one of those dudes is open. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Defense: Continually running zone with no pass rush/never blitzing is a recipe for disaster. 

This happens to be exactly what the Colts "cook up" up every single game. It continues to result in average/to below average QB's looking amazing. Until something happens where they get a legit pass rusher or change scheme, it will be more of the same this year unfortunately.  

Offense: Colts finally have a great QB, so that is the hard part. Just has to stay healthy. 

I agree with what's already been said, and would draft Bowers @ TE. That will get the mismatches we need and hopefully get some heat off Downs and Pierce so that one of those dudes is open. 

I am leaning on signing a TE in FA, preferably Noah Fant, then use our 1st pick on the best WR1 still on the board.  No trading back.  

6 hours ago, IinD said:

We gotta start with one Colt finding a pop star girlfriend and work our way up from there.

I think Cher is available.  Swift already has the teenager girls, we’d get the adults (who spend money).  It’s a publicists dream!

AR, look her up!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think Cher is available.  Swift already has the teenager girls, we’d get the adults (who spend money).  It’s a publicists dream!

AR, look her up!

If you haven’t noticed, the target market is no longer the Cher generation… The league moved on. Look at the Super Bowl halftime show and you’ll see the trend. 

Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Tom petty, Bruce Springsteen, the who… Madonna kind of wrapped up the old stuff and they went straight to the late Gen X / millennial appeal. Beyoncé and the hip hop 90’s 2000’s music. 

Just for reference, Taylor swift is 34 and a great deal of her fans are the same.. you know, adults that have money and spend it- ($1k to 4k for tickets to see her show). 

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is too simplistic though. Brady was a 6th rounder and he had the same poise and instincts like Mahomes. Both teams turned over the ball 2 times each. It is a game either team could have won after the regulation push. But only 1 of them won because the supporting cast of Mahomes forced a FG and the supporting cast of Purdy could not keep it to a FG, and the HC of the 49ers chose to receive while Andy Reid would have deferred, no matter that. The margins weren't huge to be tractors and trailers, at least not in this particular game.

If anything, I would point to a Chris Jones in the DL and a young secondary well coached with the Chiefs able to play man coverage while the 49ers DBs primarily played zone coverage. Again, supporting cast was better for Mahomes.

Brady is a unicorn though. He’s invalid in most arguments because there hasn’t been a QB like that since. But that’s still my takeaway. The 49ers have lost twice in the Superbowl under Shanahan. Their QBs each time were Jimmy Garropolo and Matt Brock Purdy. Both times they lost to Patrick Mahomes.

We’re on the right path as we have a QB who is dynamic and has superstar potential. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brady is a unicorn though. He’s invalid in most arguments because there hasn’t been a QB like that since. But that’s still my takeaway. The 49ers have lost twice in the Superbowl under Shanahan. Their QBs each time were Jimmy Garropolo and Matt Brock Purdy. Both times they lost to Patrick Mahomes.

We’re on the right path as we have a QB who is dynamic and has superstar potential. 

The last 2 decades since 2010:

2010 - Rodgers

2011 - Eli Manning

2012 - Joe Flacco

2013 - Russell Wilson

2014 - Tom Brady

2015 - Peyton Manning

2016 - Tom Brady

2017 - Nick Foles

2018 - Tom Brady

2019 - Patrick Mahomes

2020 - Tom Brady

2021 - Matt Stafford

2022 - Patrick Mahomes

2023 - Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson and lightning in a bottle Nick Foles were the only non-1st round QBs outside the unicorn Tom Brady.

I guess you can break through with a later round QB, if all things align right like with the Seahawks and Eagles SBs but the odds are less. The QB friendly rules and positional importance has also gone way up the last 2 decades.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KB said:

I'd say outside of a few well known players, KC is filled with mostly average talent right now. San Fran on the other hand, I'd say they are littered with elite talent almost everywhere, but qb.

Mahomes, Kelce, Thunley, Humphrey, Jones, Bolton, Sneed, McDuffie are all elite players they have really good players in Pacheco, Smith, Karlifis, plus I think their number 3 and 4 corners would start on some teams

To continue my comment from earlier, I’m going to apply what I learned from the SB to our team:

1.  We need an absolute DOG on the defensive line.  Buckner is very good, but not Chris Jones good.  We need someone nasty that’s going to command double teams on every play.  Since we already have Buck, I’m hoping we can pair him with a defensive end.

2.  We need an ABSOLUTE number one target for AR.  Doesn’t have to be wide receiver, but someone who can affect the game on all levels.  Kelce took over that second half in the short and mid range.  Not so much deep, but deep enough to keep the safeties occupied.  We can get that in Bowers, but if he’s not there we can’t miss not getting a wide receiver.  We have to go bowers or best receiver available with the first pick.  I know, people are going to say we have Pittman.  But we don’t KNOW that yet.  We have to go with something that’s certain.  If he does have it in him, then that’s more weapons for AR.  If not, then at least we have something.  But we can’t pass up on the opportunity to get a dynamic weapon because we may not have that chance again for years. 

3.  Gus needs to find ways to apply pressure by blitzing.  I believe KC runs a Tampa 2 also but they are a lot more aggressive than us.  The Tampa 2 requires having good corners and safeties.  I think Juju and Moore will be fine, still eh about JJ, and we need to upgrade FS BADLY.  I’d say sign a vet corner and free safety in FA.  

4.  AR has to stay healthy.  QB is the most important position in the game and can be the deciding factor.  KC did not have as much talent as SF but they had the better QB.

5.  AR has to know when to run.  We saw it in the SF vs Lions game with purdy and we saw it in the SB with Mahomes.  Those off script scrambles can kill a defense.  Less designed runs, more off script scrambles.  Mahomes was the leading rusher for KC and had ONE designed run. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, that is what sucks about losing, hardly nobody looks at the losing team and says they were better but still lost. I felt like SF controlled 3/4 of that game but made so many dumb mistakes that they beat themselves. The extra point blunder (should have been 17-13) and I would have kicked to begin OT because of the new rules as well. 2 huge Gaffe's right there. Brock Purdy is pretty much what I expected, a good QB but iffy in clutch situations. He had too many bad passes on 3rd and short and too many balls getting deflected as well.

They never controlled the game. Even when they were up 10-0, I had a feeling that KC would win. They lost because of many factors but key was being horrible on 3rd down. Spagnola put them in 3rd and long situations and they couldnt convert because he would pressure them as their Oline is great at run blocking but average at best at pass blocking

6 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

To continue my comment from earlier, I’m going to apply what I learned from the SB to our team:

1.  We need an absolute DOG on the defensive line.  Buckner is very good, but not Chris Jones good.  We need someone nasty that’s going to command double teams on every play.  Since we already have Buck, I’m hoping we can pair him with a defensive end.

2.  We need an ABSOLUTE number one target for AR.  Doesn’t have to be wide receiver, but someone who can affect the game on all levels.  Kelce took over that second half in the short and mid range.  Not so much deep, but deep enough to keep the safeties occupied.  We can get that in Bowers, but if he’s not there we can’t miss not getting a wide receiver.  We have to go bowers or best receiver available with the first pick.  I know, people are going to say we have Pittman.  But we don’t KNOW that yet.  We have to go with something that’s certain.  If he does have it in him, then that’s more weapons for AR.  If not, then at least we have something.  But we can’t pass up on the opportunity to get a dynamic weapon because we may not have that chance again for years. 

3.  Gus needs to find ways to apply pressure by blitzing.  I believe KC runs a Tampa 2 also but they are a lot more aggressive than us.  The Tampa 2 requires having good corners and safeties.  I think Juju and Moore will be fine, still eh about JJ, and we need to upgrade FS BADLY.  I’d say sign a vet corner and free safety in FA.  

4.  AR has to stay healthy.  QB is the most important position in the game and can be the deciding factor.  KC did not have as much talent as SF but they had the better QB.

5.  AR has to know when to run.  We saw it in the SF vs Lions game with purdy and we saw it in the SB with Mahomes.  Those off script scrambles can kill a defense.  Less designed runs, more off script scrambles.  Mahomes was the leading rusher for KC and had ONE designed run. 

KC's defense is good because it doesn't stick to one scheme. He mixes it up and his players are adept at playing man and zone. The corners that Ballard continually drafts are more zone corners which in turn limits what plays they can call on defense. Its rather simple actually. KC's corners are very good to being elite

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I would be shocked if Bowers is sitting there at 15. If he is out of the top 10, you can bet someone would move up and draft him before the Colts because Ballard likes to accumulate picks

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The last 2 decades since 2010:

2010 - Rodgers

2011 - Eli Manning

2012 - Joe Flacco

2013 - Russell Wilson

2014 - Tom Brady

2015 - Peyton Manning

2016 - Tom Brady

2017 - Nick Foles

2018 - Tom Brady

2019 - Patrick Mahomes

2020 - Tom Brady

2021 - Matt Stafford

2022 - Patrick Mahomes

2023 - Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson and lightning in a bottle Nick Foles were the only non-1st round QBs outside the unicorn Tom Brady.

I guess you can break through with a later round QB, if all things align right like with the Seahawks and Eagles SBs but the odds are less. The QB friendly rules and positional importance has also gone way up the last 2 decades.

But even so, Russ was a day 2 QB. Foles was the backup QB but let’s not forget that it was Wentz’s (also a 1st round QB) MVP caliber season pre-injury that got them there. So really only one other day 3 QB besides Brady has won a SB in the last decade and half. But when I say Brady is invalid, that’s what I mean. Not that he wasn’t a 1st round draft pick, but that he was a day 3 QB. There isn’t any other day 3 QB drafted in the modern era of the draft that has done anything remotely close to what he’s done in this league. Typically you can’t win Superbowl’s with day 3 QBs because they are trailers, not tractors.

A more dynamic QB would have won the game for San Fran. The Rams proved this. They lost the SB with Goff and then traded him for Stafford, and then won the SB. Also remember that in the regular season, the 49ers got absolutely dismantled by the Ravens. QB play matters. 49ers aren’t winning anything until they get a game changer at QB as opposed to the game mangers they keep trotting out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But even so, Russ was a day 2 QB. Foles was the backup QB but let’s not forget that it was Wentz’s (also a 1st round QB) MVP caliber season pre-injury that got them there. So really only one other day 3 QB besides Brady has won a SB in the last decade and half. But when I say Brady is invalid, that’s what I mean. Not that he wasn’t a 1st round draft pick, but that he was a day 3 QB. There isn’t any other day 3 QB drafted in the modern era of the draft that has done anything remotely close to what he’s done in this league. Typically you can’t win Superbowl’s with day 3 QBs because they are trailers, not tractors.

A more dynamic QB would have won the game for San Fran. The Rams proved this. They lost the SB with Goff and then traded him for Stafford, and then won the SB. Also remember that in the regular season, the 49ers got absolutely dismantled by the Ravens. QB play matters. 49ers aren’t winning anything until they get a game changer at QB as opposed to the game mangers they keep trotting out.

Very true. Even if you go back to when Brady won his back-to-back in 2003 and 2004, it looks like this (chose 2003 to complete 20 years):

2003 - Tom Brady

2004 - Tom Brady

2005 - Big Ben

2006 - Peyton Manning

2007 - Eli Manning

2008 - Big Ben

2009 - Drew Brees

Only Drew Brees, outside the unicorn Tom Brady, is an early 2nd rounder, and like you said, a Day 2 QB. Yes, you need a playmaker at QB.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Mahomes, Kelce, Thunley, Humphrey, Jones, Bolton, Sneed, McDuffie are all elite players they have really good players in Pacheco, Smith, Karlifis, plus I think their number 3 and 4 corners would start on some teams

I'll give elite to Mahommes, Kelce, Jones. Thunley and Humphrey I can dig as elite. Bolton, Sneed, and McDuffie are pretty good. Not elite. Their talent along with the others you listed are just good, not elite. They're corner back room is deep. I wouldn't consider any of them elite though, and I do like Sneed.

Take Mahommes out and alot of those talents would look their part. Mahommes is that generation QB that makes everyone around him better. It is what it is and congrats to KC for having him. Peyton did it for us. While we had some elite players then too, most were average and it showed once he was gone.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If you haven’t noticed, the target market is no longer the Cher generation… The league moved on. Look at the Super Bowl halftime show and you’ll see the trend. 

Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Tom petty, Bruce Springsteen, the who… Madonna kind of wrapped up the old stuff and they went straight to the late Gen X / millennial appeal. Beyoncé and the hip hop 90’s 2000’s music. 

Just for reference, Taylor swift is 34 and a great deal of her fans are the same.. you know, adults that have money and spend it- ($1k to 4k for tickets to see her show). 

Thank you for correcting my joke.  I'm a better person for it.

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They never controlled the game. Even when they were up 10-0, I had a feeling that KC would win. They lost because of many factors but key was being horrible on 3rd down. Spagnola put them in 3rd and long situations and they couldnt convert because he would pressure them as their Oline is great at run blocking but average at best at pass blocking

I disagree, when they were 10-0, they had 2 chances where they could have extended the lead and just didn't execute. They held KC twice, got the ball and had 2 chances to put the game away. If they go up 17-0, it was game over. 

59 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

KC's defense is good because it doesn't stick to one scheme. He mixes it up and his players are adept at playing man and zone. The corners that Ballard continually drafts are more zone corners which in turn limits what plays they can call on defense. Its rather simple actually. KC's corners are very good to being elite

Not rookie corners like ours.  That’s the big difference.  Having experienced players gives you much more flexibility.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not rookie corners like ours.  That’s the big difference.  Having experienced players gives you much more flexibility.  

Hmmm...most of them were 2nd year and 1st year players. McDuffie is in Year 2 that disrupted Deebo Samuel throughout the game. Chamarri Corner is a rookie safety playing because the 2nd year safety James Cook is on IR (the guy that caused an INT in the 2022 AFCCG vs Burrow) and he held Kittle in check. Watson is a 3rd year CB drafted in Round 7 like our Jaylon Jones, Joshua Williams the nickel CB is a 2nd year CB drafted in Round 4. L'Jarius Sneed is a 4th year corner drafted in Round 4. They have a young squad, dude. Their LBs Bolton, Gay and Chenal are all on rookie contracts.

They have developed their corners into good ones, their secondary coaching is one of the best. 2 schools of thought - Kyle Shanahan trusts only experienced ones and invested in experienced ones while The Chiefs, because of all the big contracts to QB, OL and TE, chose to develop their young ones. You couldn't tell just by looking at their level of play, that is how good the secondary development has been, which is why I think they let Sneed go, like SB winning Belichick did with Asante Samuel, Malcolm Butler etc. because Belichick coached his DBs up really well to rinse and repeat from the draft. Every once in a while, when the opportunity was there, he would get a 1 year rental out of Darelle Revis or Stephon Gilmore.

Coaching is a BIG reason The Chiefs win, on O, D and special teams.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I am leaning on signing a TE in FA, preferably Noah Fant, then use our 1st pick on the best WR1 still on the board.  No trading back.  

I'm not sure what your obsession with Noah Fant is.   

1 hour ago, KB said:

I'll give elite to Mahommes, Kelce, Jones. Thunley and Humphrey I can dig as elite. Bolton, Sneed, and McDuffie are pretty good. Not elite. Their talent along with the others you listed are just good, not elite. They're corner back room is deep. I wouldn't consider any of them elite though, and I do like Sneed.

Take Mahommes out and alot of those talents would look their part. Mahommes is that generation QB that makes everyone around him better. It is what it is and congrats to KC for having him. Peyton did it for us. While we had some elite players then too, most were average and it showed once he was gone.

McDuffie is 1st team all pro and Snead missed out by 1 vote for all pro team. That should be considered elite

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would be shocked if Bowers is sitting there at 15. If he is out of the top 10, you can bet someone would move up and draft him before the Colts because Ballard likes to accumulate picks

Idk, there could be a run on QB's and push him down. Here's hoping! :)

10 minutes ago, runthepost said:

McDuffie is 1st team all pro and Snead missed out by 1 vote for all pro team. That should be considered elite

He had a good season. Their secondary as whole did. Least amount explosive plays I believe. I still say they are good not elite. Still dosnt change my mind that most of their roster is average with the a few elite players and great coaches that elevate everyone.

32 minutes ago, KB said:

He had a good season. Their secondary as whole did. Least amount explosive plays I believe. I still say they are good not elite. Still dosnt change my mind that most of their roster is average with the a few elite players and great coaches that elevate everyone.

If you are waiting for a Legion Of Boom type secondary in the current "illegal contact" rules environment, you will NEVER find an elite secondary. That Chiefs secondary this year is as elite as it is going to get with the amount of contact they allow in the league now.

The great coaching made sure the front 7 and the back end were all in sync with great communication. To do that with most of the secondary under rookie contracts implies outstanding coaching.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am interested on feedback on what people have garnered from watching the top two teams in the Superbowl as it relates to team building. I am thinking about the need for a true #1 receiver? Continue to build in the trenches?  San Fran's defense is very similar to what the Colts run and what did people see from that D as the game wore on?  It was evident at the game got to the 4th, the D line was gassed and this is supposedly a great D line. That has been one of my biggest issues with this D. I have always contended that as the game wears on, this defense becomes very predictable as the Dline wears down and the Qb becomes very comfortable carving up the zones.  Wilks tried some blitzes and paid dearly for it. 

Got to have a kicker that can make extra points. San Francisco did not have one and they lost because of it. 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Fant is mid like everyone else in our TE room

I don’t think so.  I think he’s better than everyone else in our TE room with Woods being the possible exception because he really hasn’t played and we don’t know.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you are waiting for a Legion Of Boom type secondary in the current "illegal contact" rules environment, you will NEVER find an elite secondary. That Chiefs secondary this year is as elite as it is going to get with the amount of contact they allow in the league now.

The great coaching made sure the front 7 and the back end were all in sync with great communication. To do that with most of the secondary under rookie contracts implies outstanding coaching.

It's just a matter if opinion really, but I agree for the most part. Their secondary played really well as a whole, and I can see the unit getting the elite tag. It is not made out of elite players though. Good, but not elite. They have great coaching absolutely. They work together well as a unit. The defense as a whole does. Probably a bigger part. Not taking anything away from them as a whole.

I think we're getting away from the original comment. KC has a few elite players, good coaching all around, and a generational qb. The roster outside of qb and the other few elites, is comprised of average players. They're WR is nothing to write home about. Pacheco wouldn't do well in most other offenses. Kelce is the only one that could go to another team and produce the same, as far as skills players go. If you break the defense apart and send it to other teams they won't be seen as elite their. Except for Jones.

Now San Fran on the other hand is loaded with elite talent. Their WR room is littered with top end receiving talent lead by an elite receiver in Debo. Kittle is elite. McCaffrey is elite. Great Oline. Just not the QB. Heck, we got their rotational pass rusher and he became our leader in sacks. Defense is well built similarly. They also have a great coaching staff. The biggest missing part of the elite personel is the QB. 

All that elite talent still didn't win it. San Fran no doubt has more elite players and a better overall roster outside of the QB position. Dosnt matter against a generation QB. It's Pat Mahommes and everyone else. 

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

I think McDuffie is amazing.  Every time I see him, he’s like Velcro on WR’s. 

But he might have the shortest arms of all corners.  I think his are 29 1/2.    So I doubt Ballard would ever consider him.   Would love for someone to ask CB about McDuffie. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Whatever the joke was, it wasn’t a good one

Could be.  Sometimes it's not the joke, it's the ability of the jokie to understand it.

But I'll agree with your criticism, if that helps.  So, I'll try to be more funny next time.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think McDuffie is amazing.  Every time I see him, he’s like Velcro on WR’s. 

But he might have the shortest arms of all corners.  I think his are 29 1/2.    So I doubt Ballard would ever consider him.   Would love for someone to ask CB about McDuffie. 

That is where I feel if a player can play at a high level against certain types of WRs, it can't be a black and white decision to discount or discard him purely based on arm length. That is clearly a good football player. 

Yes, I would like to know what Ballard and his scouts thought of him or even considered him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KB said:

Yes! I said this back when manning was here when a lot of contracts were up and I felt the colts were over paying some players, and it wasn’t very popular here! 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Actually the Legion of Boom would still be okay in todays game as they mostly played zone  and as a result they played little man so there would not be a lot of clutching and grabbing. The reason why the Legion of Boom would be less effective today is become the game is so complex and you cannot run one type of defense all game and expect the qb and coordinator to catch on to it

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

one more thing. KC's secondary looks lights out but if they lose Jones, I expect that to have an effect on their coverage. He is a monster out there and he can change a game much like Mahonnes can change a game on offence.

• Like 1