Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What did the Superbowl teach us about team building?

Moosejawcolt

The best pressure kc got was when they sent some kind of blitz. Not many teams get quick pressure without blitzing. A top offense can usually account for a top pass rusher it there isn’t a blitz or a threat of one. I would rather see more blitzes as opposed to a top pass rusher. The colts d-line is fine but the lb’s need a lot of improvement! That’s where I want the colts to use some higher draft picks, probably trade out of the first for more picks.

3 minutes ago, husker61 said:

The best pressure kc got was when they sent some kind of blitz. Not many teams get quick pressure without blitzing. A top offense can usually account for a top pass rusher it there isn’t a blitz or a threat of one. I would rather see more blitzes as opposed to a top pass rusher. The colts d-line is fine but the lb’s need a lot of improvement! That’s where I want the colts to use some higher draft picks, probably trade out of the first for more picks.

Which LB(s) do you want to upgrade?  Or are you talking about a specialty player for the pass rush?

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Which LB(s) do you want to upgrade?  Or are you talking about a specialty player for the pass rush?

I want to replace Franklin,  just don’t see him being a play maker, I don’t have a problem with speed or Harrison. That means we should bring in two that hopefully can start or be situational players.

4 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I want to replace Franklin,  just don’t see him being a play maker, I don’t have a problem with speed or Harrison. That means we should bring in two that hopefully can start or be situational players.

He’s not a playmaker, in the sense that Leonard was.  But there aren’t many like he was in his prime.  

You can’t deny that Franklin is a tackling machine.  I think it’s safe in saying the Colts have no immediate plans to replace him.  

Even though Chase did not do well in SF (which may lower his asking price) I’d still love to see Ballard make a run at him.  Pipe dream.  I know.  

Just now, Smonroe said:

He’s not a playmaker, in the sense that Leonard was.  But there aren’t many like he was in his prime.  

You can’t deny that Franklin is a tackling machine.  I think it’s safe in saying the Colts have no immediate plans to replace him.  

Even though Chase did not do well in SF (which may lower his asking price) I’d still love to see Ballard make a run at him.  Pipe dream.  I know.  

my problem with Franklin is most of his tackles are 5 yards down field and he can’t cover anyone. That just doesn’t cut it and is the same things I said about pat angerer, and that wasn’t at all popular here back then. I want lb’s that can shed blocks and make plays around the line of scrimmage. The colts haven’t had many of them over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

Yes! I said this back when manning was here when a lot of contracts were up and I felt the colts were over paying some players, and it wasn’t very popular here! 

There were alot of members of that team that really wernt that good. I've never been a Gary Brackett fan, tbh. Alot of the contracts were to big. I think it's fair to say the cap wasn't well managed for the future and that's why when Grigson got the team he had to blow the whole roster up. Now I think some players could of been kept if we remained a 4-3, but that's another story.

1 hour ago, husker61 said:

Franklin isn't going anywhere this year. He is on a cheap contract  

2 hours ago, KB said:

There were alot of members of that team that really wernt that good. I've never been a Gary Brackett fan, tbh. Alot of the contracts were to big. I think it's fair to say the cap wasn't well managed for the future and that's why when Grigson got the team he had to blow the whole roster up. Now I think some players could of been kept if we remained a 4-3, but that's another story.

absolutely! Bracket was another player I said the same thing about also, and it also wasn’t a popular stance here! Dallas Clarke was also one I said they shouldn’t give that last big contract to. 

14 hours ago, husker61 said:

my problem with Franklin is most of his tackles are 5 yards down field and he can’t cover anyone. That just doesn’t cut it and is the same things I said about pat angerer, and that wasn’t at all popular here back then. I want lb’s that can shed blocks and make plays around the line of scrimmage. The colts haven’t had many of them over the years.

Franklin reminds me of D’Qwell Jackson, a LB we had during the Grigson tenure that came from the Browns. Always had a lot of tackles but wasn’t flashy. 

On 2/13/2024 at 3:49 PM, Solid84 said:

You NEED a QB who can make the all the throws - to stretch the field, to hit tight windows etc.

You NEED weapons on offense - chainmovers, playmakers etc.

You NEED elite playmakers on the Dline - good doesn't cut it.

You NEED elite playmakers in the secondary - again, good doesn't cut it.

You NEED great playcalling on both sides of the ball.

All these are necessary, but insufficient. I think the answer is more complex than most of us realize. There has to be an alignment between component parts where the result becomes greater than the sum of the parts. Some refer to this complexity as "flow" or "operating like a well-oiled machine". Without flow, a Chinese doctor would call it "constricted chi" ulimately resulting in a death sentence.

I only wish the solution was as simple as "eating more pork". It's not.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, husker61 said:

I hear you regarding Franklin.

But there is a difference with tackling compared to Angerer imo.

Angered got drug for 5 yards. Franklin does get them down and hits hard sometimes.

And what I see is like you, Zaire ain't no Singletary. He doesn't read, attack to fill gaps. He gets caught up on locks still 5 yards of the Los, as we get gashed in the running game. In the passing  game he just stands there when a TE or back comes into his zone and they are wide open for an easy dump off and he never closes for a well timed separating hit. It boggles the mind.

And I ask myself, who teaches this dung. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, husker61 said:

The most important thing is to marry what the DL is doing with the LBs during blitzes. The LBs should know which OL shoulder the DL is attacking or where they are stunting to know the gaps to blitz and the right angles to take. That is a lot on the coaching too. Giants under Spags did not have the secondary pieces in 2007 that the Chiefs had in 2023 but they had a great DL, so Spags married his LB pressure with that great DL ability and made the secondary look infinitely better than they did to restrict the Patriots to 14 points. Now, with a better secondary, they won't get open the first couple of seconds and that gives him a tad more time for his blitzes to get there, so he can call delayed blitzes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The most important thing is to marry what the DL is doing with the LBs during blitzes. The LBs should know which OL shoulder the DL is attacking or where they are stunting to know the gaps to blitz and the right angles to take. That is a lot on the coaching too. Giants under Spags did not have the secondary pieces in 2007 that the Chiefs had in 2023 but they had a great DL, so Spags married his LB pressure with that great DL ability and made the secondary look infinitely better than they did to restrict the Patriots to 14 points. Now, with a better secondary, they won't get open the first couple of seconds and that gives him a tad more time for his blitzes to get there, so he can call delayed blitzes.

Spags blitzes worked to perfection, with Jones doing a phenomenal job also.

JMO, if he were the pacifist that Gus is there were a number of great opportunities that Purdy would have nailed them on. 

We are stuck in no mans land with CB providing the talent, and with Gus and his staffs coaching. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Spags blitzes worked to perfection, with Jones doing a phenomenal job also.

JMO, if he were the pacifist that Gus is there were a number of great opportunities that Purdy would have nailed them on. 

We are stuck in no mans land with CB providing the talent, and with Gus and his staffs coaching. 

Gus better show improvement in these categories, even a middle of the league team in these categories, and we should have an uptick in our W-L column if AR is healthy throughout the year

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-downs-per-game (We are 30th in forcing 3rd downs, in other words, our opponents get their 1st downs in the 1st 2 downs a whole lot of times)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-first-downs-per-game (We are 24th in number of 1st downs generated by opponent offenses, again goes hand in hand with the above metrics, not enough 3rd downs forced)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-plays-per-game (We are 31st in opponents plays per game, and that is a direct function of the system of D we play that keeps our D on the field far more than necessary)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game (we are 28th in team opponents points per game)

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Gus better show improvement in these categories, even a middle of the league team in these categories, and we should have an uptick in our W-L column if AR is healthy throughout the year

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-downs-per-game (We are 30th in forcing 3rd downs, in other words, our opponents get their 1st downs in the 1st 2 downs a whole lot of times)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-first-downs-per-game (We are 24th in number of 1st downs generated by opponent offenses, again goes hand in hand with the above metrics, not enough 3rd downs forced)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-plays-per-game (We are 31st in opponents plays per game, and that is a direct function of the system of D we play that keeps our D on the field far more than necessary)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game (we are 28th in team opponents points per game)

No Way Do Not Want GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The most important thing we've seen in the last 2 Decades is having a Golden Boy at the QB position that gets himself and his team favourable scripts. haha

.......and having a teammate allegedly dating a pop icon doesn't hurt either. :funny:

I know AR has been dating the same girl since 2020, her name is Jada. Having said that are you implying that AR should move on and date Rihanna who is single, the media would know our team well I will say thatrock out homer simpson GIF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The most important thing we've seen in the last 2 Decades is having a Golden Boy at the QB position that gets himself and his team favourable scripts. haha

.......and having a teammate allegedly dating a pop icon doesn't hurt either. :funny:

Yes,  having a great qb is the best recipe for success.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know AR has been dating the same girl since 2020, her name is Jada. Having said that are you implying that AR should move on and date Rihanna who is single, the media would know our team well I will say thatrock out homer simpson GIF.

Rihanna isn’t single

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would prefer Dua Lipa  for AR5 :heart: :heart: .....or for myself :banana:

Dua Lipa Brits GIF by BRIT Awards

On 2/13/2024 at 1:39 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I am interested on feedback on what people have garnered from watching the top two teams in the Superbowl as it relates to team building. I am thinking about the need for a true #1 receiver? Continue to build in the trenches?  San Fran's defense is very similar to what the Colts run and what did people see from that D as the game wore on?  It was evident at the game got to the 4th, the D line was gassed and this is supposedly a great D line. That has been one of my biggest issues with this D. I have always contended that as the game wears on, this defense becomes very predictable as the Dline wears down and the Qb becomes very comfortable carving up the zones.  Wilks tried some blitzes and paid dearly for it. 

Looks like Wilks was forced by the head coach into some blitzes.