Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY says Luck would’ve come back?

ArmchairQB

• ArmchairQB changed the title to TY says Luck would’ve come back?
23 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Luck has no character whatsoever and deserved to be boo'd off the field.

He should be blacklisted from all things Colts for life.

Are you being contrarian for the sake of it or is this your true belief?  I have a hard time thinking it is

• Like 2

I like TY too but I don’t believe that for a second.  Luck knows that if he came back he would have been welcomed back like a conquering Roman general entering Rome.  The way the fans reacted is what to be was expected the way the word got out.  Just unfortunate circumstances and he knows that.  He made up his mind and that was it.  On to another chapter.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, KB said:

I like Luck, but once he made the decision to retire right before the season, there was no coming back. You let the whole team and city down right before the start of the season. Once you make a decision that big you have to stick to it. Don't flip flop and don't say you didn't come back because you got boo'd. Be a man and stand next to the choice you made.

1.  He didn’t say this TY hinted at it.

2.  He did stick with his choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  He didn’t say this TY hinted at it.

2.  He did stick with his choice.

With TY hinting that he would've come back had he not got boo'd, there was most likely a time where he was teetering on the decision that was made. To which my comment comes in.

Idk man I’m 50/50 on which side of the fence I’m on.

one side, luck did kind of screw the org.  It only came out because it got leaked.  If he was that close to not wanting to play football before the season, that should’ve been brought to attention and the org would’ve most likely let him take time off.  People have the right to voice their opinions on something so even though I personally wouldn’t have boo’ed him, I can’t get mad at people who did.

on the other side, the colts failed him.  He took a beating playing for us.  Management put his well being at risk.  Playing football for luck probably was not a fun thing.  He gave us everything he had.  It was a good gesture to allow luck to keep the money, but honestly he deserved it.  

With all that said, if what TY saying has any validity then honestly luck would’ve call it quits eventually.  You gotta have tough skin to play football.  Not only at an NFL level, but at the most important position of the entire sport.  And if people booing him hurt his feelings that much, then football probably wouldn’t have ended for him in a good way anyway.  

anyway, this is water under the bridge.  I don’t have anything against luck and I appreciated the years he did give us.  I hate grigson for not protecting him.  I wouldn’t have boo’ed him personally.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

one side, luck did kind of screw the org.  It only came out because it got leaked.  If he was that close to not wanting to play football before the season, that should’ve been brought to attention and the org would’ve most likely let him take time off.  People have the right to voice their opinions on something so even though I personally wouldn’t have boo’ed him, I can’t get mad at people who did.

on the other side, the colts failed him.  He took a beating playing for us.  Management put his well being at risk.  Playing football for luck probably was not a fun thing.  He gave us everything he had.  It was a good gesture to allow luck to keep the money, but honestly he deserved it.  

With all that said, if what TY saying has any validity then honestly luck would’ve call it quits eventually.  You gotta have tough skin to play football.  Not only at an NFL level, but at the most important position of the entire sport.  And if people booing him hurt his feelings that much, then football probably wouldn’t have ended for him in a good way anyway.  

anyway, this is water under the bridge.  I don’t have anything against luck and I appreciated the years he did give us.  I hate grigson for not protecting him.  I wouldn’t have boo’ed him personally.  

The organization knew he was leaning that way weeks before it was announced.    The fan base didn't know

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The organization knew he was leaning that way weeks before it was announced.    The fan base didn't know

sorry, weeks before the season does not count as knowing beforehand.  And from reading Wickershams article, he told them during the preseason which still sucks.

that’s really a punch in the gut.  Especially when everyone in the org is depending on you to lead them.  Imagine a director putting on a big play and the star lead actor tells them they can’t perform weeks before the play.  I don’t blame Ballard and company for trying to talk him out of it, what would you expect them to do.  It was season suicide.  

And it also seemed like luck already knew he didn’t want to play football even before the off season program.  I don’t know, but I could guess Ballard told luck to at least sit on it and luck was adamant about his decision.  

10 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

sorry, weeks before the season does not count as knowing beforehand.  And from reading Wickershams article, he told them during the preseason which still sucks.

that’s really a punch in the gut.  Especially when everyone in the org is depending on you to lead them.  Imagine a director putting on a big play and the star lead actor tells them they can’t perform weeks before the play.  I don’t blame Ballard and company for trying to talk him out of it, what would you expect them to do.  It was season suicide.  

And it also seemed like luck already knew he didn’t want to play football even before the off season program.  I don’t know, but I could guess Ballard told luck to at least sit on it and luck was adamant about his decision.  

Oh for sure.  I agree with that.   But the Colts knew before schefter leaked it.    The entire thing could have been handled better no doubt.   We don't know when Andrew told the Colts he was considering retirement.   Was that before the draft?   

I was one who was very upset when he announced his retirement.   I thought it was selfish to wait so long into the process.   The leak by schefter mid game was Bush league in my opinion.   Had the fans known what we know now, things would have been much different.     

If in March Andrew had his press conference and retired, of course we would have been upset,  but the majority of the fanbase would have embraced the kid and understood.  

Now the timeline of when he told the team he was wanting to retire is the big question.   If he told them in February or March, and they told him to think about it.   I blame the team.  If it was after the draft,  I blame luck.  Either way,  it's over.   

I will always blame espn for the boos the kid got.  Releasing that in the 4th quarter was Bush league for the world wide leader in sports.   Let him announce it.   Also,  the person that leaked it to ESPN sucks as well. 

After hearing him explain why,  I get it.   The timeline we will never know.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't blame the fans for boo'ing at all.  The news was announced while the game was happening.  

I didn’t boo. But I understood the frustrations. I didn’t believe it when it started pinging across phones throughout the stadium. It was such a strange experience. The buzz from the stadium. We were sitting there staring at a report that said he was retiring, and he was standing right there on the sideline chumming it up with teammates. It was just a bizarre situation. 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Oh for sure.  I agree with that.   But the Colts knew before schefter leaked it.    The entire thing could have been handled better no doubt.   We don't know when Andrew told the Colts he was considering retirement.   Was that before the draft?   

I was one who was very upset when he announced his retirement.   I thought it was selfish to wait so long into the process.   The leak by schefter mid game was Bush league in my opinion.   Had the fans known what we know now, things would have been much different.     

If in March Andrew had his press conference and retired, of course we would have been upset,  but the majority of the fanbase would have embraced the kid and understood.  

Now the timeline of when he told the team he was wanting to retire is the big question.   If he told them in February or March, and they told him to think about it.   I blame the team.  If it was after the draft,  I blame luck.  Either way,  it's over.   

I will always blame espn for the boos the kid got.  Releasing that in the 4th quarter was Bush league for the world wide leader in sports.   Let him announce it.   Also,  the person that leaked it to ESPN sucks as well. 

FWIW:   If you want to blame ESPN, blame away.   But for Shefter, he’s been on record since it happened, that he had no idea — none — that the Colts were even playing that day.   He was just in a hurry to get the exclusive tip on the air first.   And that’s his job,  to be right and be first.   And he was. 

Sucks for the Colts fans who found out the way they did.   But that’s what the new world of journalism has come to.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Schefter’s job is to break news for his employer and when you get a major story like that confirmed you break it.  If he had sat on it he would not have been doing his job.  His loyalty is to ESPN because they employ him, not the Colts and not Andrew Luck.  There was nothing bush league about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Luck has no character whatsoever and deserved to be boo'd off the field.

He should be blacklisted from all things Colts for life.

So wrong. Get over yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If Andrew loved football enough he would have come back. He doesn’t and there’s nothing wrong with that. Water under the bridge. A lot of players have short careers due to injury. My only issue is everyone liking to pile on for “ruining” Andrew. No one ruined Andrew. The NFL is a hard hitting league, just ask Anthony. 

• Like 1

This was the most disgraceful day for Colts fans since I became a fan of the team. Those that booed Luck should be ashamed of themselves. I felt second-hand embarassment on their behalf too. What an absolute %show. I understand perfectly the anger and confusion and despair at that point, because I was feeling the exact same things. But none of that should have been aimed at Luck. Grigson and Pagano and however many OCs there were during his tenure should have carried the burden of that early retirement. I will never forgive that and I will never forget how those incompetent fools ruined the career of one of the best QB talents in history. They should wear that shame on their foreheads forever. 

On the thing TY said. I'm not so sure he's right about that. IMO once Luck made that decision, it was over. He was never going to come back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

This was the most disgraceful day for Colts fans since I became a fan of the team. Those that booed Luck should be ashamed of themselves. I felt second-hand embarassment on their behalf too. What an absolute %show. I understand perfectly the anger and confusion and despair at that point, because I was feeling the exact same things. But none of that should have been aimed at Luck. Grigson and Pagano and however many OCs there were during his tenure should have carried the burden of that early retirement. I will never forgive that and I will never forget how those incompetent fools ruined the career of one of the best QB talents in history. They should wear that shame on their foreheads forever. 

On the thing TY said. I'm not so sure he's right about that. IMO once Luck made that decision, it was over. He was never going to come back. 

I was at that game and it was perfectly reasonable for the fans to boo him.  It was announced at the game that Luck was retiring.  What are fans supposed to do.  They didn't have the benefit of reading into all the reasons.  There were many fans cheering him, it wasn't as bad as advertised.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smittywerb said:

There were rumors that he did ask to take time off and convalesce in Europe. But they said no. 

4 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

If Andrew loved football enough he would have come back. He doesn’t and there’s nothing wrong with that. Water under the bridge. A lot of players have short careers due to injury. My only issue is everyone liking to pile on for “ruining” Andrew. No one ruined Andrew. The NFL is a hard hitting league, just ask Anthony. 

Agree. Will people keep that same energy if AR gets hurt more? 

All I see is people saying that AR needs to protect himself better, which is exactly what was said about Luck for years. 

But Luck was a physical QB. And for 3 years, he was basically Superman. And then he took a bad shot to the right shoulder early in year 4 and that was that. Happens all the time in the NFL. And his other injuries were either a result of his physicality or snowboarding. 

At least Luck got to year 4…AR made it to game 4 so far. 

I don’t think Luck would have come back if not for those boos. That sounds like a silly thing for TY to say. Maybe he meant make

more appearances around the org.

• Like 1

Difficult to not boo the retirement “decision”.  How to distinguish between booing a decision versus booing the man?

Schefter not knowing the Colts were playing at the time, what a cop out.  Your job is the NFL and you don’t know what games are in progress?  I think it was total classless of Scheffter to break the news during the game and I don’t buy for a moment that he didn’t know the Colts game was in progress.  If he had any class at all, he would not have reported it until post game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I was at that game and it was perfectly reasonable for the fans to boo him.  It was announced at the game that Luck was retiring.  What are fans supposed to do.  They didn't have the benefit of reading into all the reasons.  There were many fans cheering him, it wasn't as bad as advertised.  

Perhaps I'm disremembering it, but I recall that he was jumping up and down on the sidelines, warming up, proving his calf was good enough to play. He was rubbing it in the Colts and fans faces. It was a big I Quit and there is only one person responsible for the news coming out when it did. He took the season off and still got paid his $25+ M. All class.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Difficult to not boo the retirement “decision”.  How to distinguish between booing a decision versus booing the man?

I've always thought the boo's were for the decision. If he did feel a way about it I can understand too. His last interaction with fans, after all he did on the field, was boo's. I can understand how that would hurt. That said, the fans were hurt too.

5 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Andrew Luck USED to love football.  It was easily the most important thing in his life, by far.   But as he said at his retirement press conference, four straight years of injury and rehab and never ending pain sucked the love right out of him by the end.  

He also hated the person he had become, literally hated.  He came close to losing his marriage and it was a huge wake up call that his priorities in life had gotten way out of balance. 

Im happy for him that he’s finally at peace with his life.    But, as I’ve written many times before,  for a very smart guy it’s astonishing how badly he handled the end of his career.  His need for almost total privacy has left Colts fans in the dark with endless unanswered questions.   It’s sad to me this is how his career ended.   

But fortunately, we now have Anthony Richardson to cheer for, and that’s what I plan to do. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Schefter not knowing the Colts were playing at the time, what a cop out.  Your job is the NFL and you don’t know what games are in progress?  I think it was total classless of Scheffter to break the news during the game and I don’t buy for a moment that he didn’t know the Colts game was in progress.  If he had any class at all, he would not have reported it until post game.

There is no honor among thieves.  It’s a race to the finish line for guys like Scheffter.  The most important thing is to be first with the news.   That’s all they care about.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there income is tied to it.  Maybe bonuses.  Who knows.  Don’t really care.  It’s a shame he took that path but they are who they are.

Players don't consider fans in their personal lives and that is as it should be. A quote from the original film The Magnificent Seven, "If God did not want them sheered, he would not have made them sheep." Fans don't matter they only think they do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I guess the Colts failed to protect AR last season. Shame on the Colts! If he retires early, it will be because of the Colts. 

If only they had protected him. 

He would have been booed literally anywhere if it were handled as badly as it was by the Colts and Schefter.  

The people hating on our fans for booing love to overlook this, it would have happened anywhere else too.

Luck screwed the team pretty badly by waiting until after the draft and free agency.

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There is no honor among thieves.  It’s a race to the finish line for guys like Scheffter.  The most important thing is to be first with the news.   That’s all they care about.  I wouldn’t be surprised if there income is tied to it.  Maybe bonuses.  Who knows.  Don’t really care.  It’s a shame he took that path but they are who they are.

Technology did that.   Websites like Twitter did that.   It made putting out information almost instantaneous.  

But I’d guess that every journalist who has been around since before this new technology has at least a small degree of fear that what they put out quickly might come back to haunt them.   But this is what the world we all living in has become.

I said this a few weeks ago, but technology changed the world for better, AND for worse. 

Shefter did his job and he was right.  That it sucked for Luck and Colts fans is a secondary concern at best.