Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY says Luck would’ve come back?

ArmchairQB

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Perhaps I'm disremembering it, but I recall that he was jumping up and down on the sidelines, warming up, proving his calf was good enough to play. He was rubbing it in the Colts and fans faces. It was a big I Quit and there is only one person responsible for the news coming out when it did. He took the season off and still got paid his $25+ M. All class.

That and he waited to one of the last preseason game to have it announced.   He was on the sideline laughing and enjoying himself during the game, then the fans got notified of him retiring on their phones.  Booing was a logical emotional response. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Oh for sure.  I agree with that.   But the Colts knew before schefter leaked it.    The entire thing could have been handled better no doubt.   We don't know when Andrew told the Colts he was considering retirement.   Was that before the draft?   

I was one who was very upset when he announced his retirement.   I thought it was selfish to wait so long into the process.   The leak by schefter mid game was Bush league in my opinion.   Had the fans known what we know now, things would have been much different.     

If in March Andrew had his press conference and retired, of course we would have been upset,  but the majority of the fanbase would have embraced the kid and understood.  

Now the timeline of when he told the team he was wanting to retire is the big question.   If he told them in February or March, and they told him to think about it.   I blame the team.  If it was after the draft,  I blame luck.  Either way,  it's over.   

I will always blame espn for the boos the kid got.  Releasing that in the 4th quarter was Bush league for the world wide leader in sports.   Let him announce it.   Also,  the person that leaked it to ESPN sucks as well. 

After hearing him explain why,  I get it.   The timeline we will never know.  

based off the wickersham article, it seems like he told some players during camp, and then told management during the preaseason.  Not sure if you’re familiar with the wickersham article but it was basically an interview with Andrew himself about the entire ordeal.  I’ll link it so you can see because I might’ve read it wrong.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

There were rumors that he did ask to take time off and convalesce in Europe. But they said no. 

hmmm, that sucks.  I can see why they would say no, especially when thinking about how much money, business, and other stuff was on the line that season but I can’t get mad at them for saying no.  Going to link the wickersham article for you also.  It’s an interview with Andrew about the entire ordeal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But for Shefter, he’s been on record since it happened, that he had no idea — none — that the Colts were even playing that day.   He was just in a hurry to get the exclusive tip on the air first.   And that’s his job,  to be right and be first.

Is it always important to be first and to share information that should be confidential? I don't believe it was his job to divulge that. Luck should have revealed it himself.

I used to like Schefter but I lost respect for him when he posted something from Jason Pierre-Paul's medical file. He acted like  a vulture when he did that. He had no right to post that. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Myles said:

That and he waited to one of the last preseason game to have it announced.   He was on the sideline laughing and enjoying himself during the game, then the fans got notified of him retiring on their phones.  Booing was a logical emotional response. 

He went thru warm ups and was throwing in front of fans that very day… even said he was planning to play week one just days before.  He played everyone. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He went thru warm ups and was throwing in front of fans that very day… even said he was planning to play week one just days before.  He played everyone. 

That's strange.

Why there are posters in this very thread that claim the Colts knew way before hand even before schefter leaked the story.

The claim is the Colts knew early on but the fans did not.

Weird

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

That's strange.

Why there are posters in this very thread that claim the Colts knew way before hand even before schefter leaked the story.

Weird

Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

I do think the Colts knew before the fans. But I think it was by mere days, maybe even just hours that he was considering it. I think he didn’t make up his mind until after warm ups and told the team in the locker room at that time

I’m basing that off of Ballards body language in the presser that night. There’s only been two times that I’ve seen where  you could tell Ballard was beyond POd. The McDaniels backing out presser and the Luck retirement presser. If you knew ahead of time, generally you don’t display such nonverbals. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

That's strange.

Weird

I knew nothing about it. When the whole thing happened it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was thinking, I follow this team extremely close, listen to our local media, and there was never a hint I caught that Andrew was retiring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’ll put it this way, Hank Baskett should be in the RoH before Luck…

That is utter nonsense and you know it.   You lose credibility with posts like this.   

He will be in the ROH.  You may as well accept it.    

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That is utter nonsense and you know it.   You lose credibility with posts like this.   

Here is a funny thing for you @PRnum1. Luck,  in his shortened career went to just as many AFCCG as Philip Rivers did in 17 years.   Man,   that is funny

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJE5JyxxEYc9Hzj5vOKl2

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not at all.   Just helping you with facts.   

Let's get back to the point of the current discussion.

You have said that the Colts knew before Luck was going retire that he was going to retire. You said the Colts knew about it before the shefter report.

So what did the Colts know about Lucks retirement and when did they know it ?

Can you provide a link ? Or did you hear a rumor ? 

What exactly?

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Let's get back to the point of the current discussion.

You have said that the Colts knew before Luck was going retire before he was going to retire. You said the Colts knew about it before the shefter report.

So what did the Colts know about Lucks retirement and when did they know it ?

Can you provide a link ? Or did you hear a rumor ? 

What exactly?

The wikersham report has been shared multiple times in this very thread.   Read it.   

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The wikersham report has been shared multiple times in this very thread.   Read it.   

I respectfully will ask the same question again because i always respect my elders.

Please stop dodging the question.

What did the the Colts know about Luck retirement and when did they know it ? Especially after ther the shefter report ?

Mr Link can you provide a useful link ?

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’ll put it this way, Hank Baskett should be in the RoH before Luck…

Strongly disagree.  This is overly focusing on one aspect of Luck’s career and ignoring all the good he did for the franchise while he was here.  It did not end well, even Luck admitted that in the article that came out last year.  That doesn’t mean you toss out all the good.  That’s like discounting all the good Polian did because he sat the starters vs the Jets in 09.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I respectfully will ask the same question again because i always respect my elders.

What did the the Colts know about Luck retirement and when did they know it ? Especially after ther the shefter report ?

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/24/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-retirement-team-knew-considering/

15 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Also,   his name is Schefter.  I also supplied a link proving Jimmy G was influential to Brock Purdy.  You seemed to disagree with a person that lived it.  I assumed you knew more than links can provide

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The more you make comments like this about Luck, the more you lose credibility.

Accept Season 4 GIF by Billions

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Strongly disagree.  This is overly focusing on one aspect of Luck’s career and ignoring all the good he did for the franchise while he was here.  It did not end well, even Luck admitted that in the article that came out last year.  That doesn’t mean you toss out all the good.  That’s like discounting all the good Polian did because he sat the starters vs the Jets in 09.  

Difference: Polian didn’t deliberately deceive people moments before quitting in his team in the middle of a game…

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So two weeks tops per Rapport in that report. Not months or before the draft like several here have claimed…

also it says they knew he was thinking about it. It doesn’t say he informed them of a final decision before that fateful night. 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

In the article he linked, it quotes Rapport saying that the colts knew Luck was considering retirement about two weeks before it broke. 

but it does NOT say that he had informed the team prior to that day. 

• Like 1

This is nonsense. He had already announce his retirement to the team. It got leaked during the preseason game. My friend texted me that Andrew Lis retired and I said a few choice words back to him and it turns out it was true. Andrew luck was done here I still feel it was a cowardly thing to do because he looked great throwing the ball the week before in the pregame 

The whole luck situation has never sat right with me. He strung the team along in 2017 before he was put on i.r. in October. Then played in 2018 for new coach Reich. Then the stories always seemed to be changing leading up to training camp in 2019. I've always had the feeling that he just didn't want to play. Just my opinion. And then we all remember it wasn't long after the retirement Ballard was pretty adamant that Luck will never be back and Ballard has always been pretty honest and straight forward.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, ArmchairQB said:

On a recent episode of the Trenches Podcast TY Hilton seems to indicate Luck would’ve come back had Colts fans not booed him off the field.  

to me- that pretty much defines why the makeshift at qb with Rivers, Wentz, Ryan was a thing. Ballard repeatedly stated he believed Luck was done. But if Luck expressed a possibility with TY, then he did with Irsay. And if Irsay believed there was even a sliver of chance he’d come back, how do you firmly move on? The problem is- if that is the case- then the opportunities to move on were missed and it dragged the franchise through the mud for too long with missed opportunities. I’ve long thought that the qb situation was strange. It just didnt feel correct, that a GM, that believes in evaluation and his scouting department, wouldn’t want to draft a qb… and last night was just another perfect example (as if there hasn’t been year after year) that the QB position reigns king as far winning championships go. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

to me- that pretty much defines why the makeshift at qb with Rivers, Wentz, Ryan was a thing. Ballard repeatedly stated he believed Luck was done. But if Luck expressed a possibility with TY, then he did with Irsay. And if Irsay believed there was even a sliver of chance he’d come back, how do you firmly move on? The problem is- if that is the case- then the opportunities to move on were missed and it dragged the franchise through the mud for too long with missed opportunities. I’ve long thought that the qb situation was strange. It just didnt feel correct, that a GM, that believes in evaluation and his scouting department, wouldn’t want to draft a qb… and last night was just another perfect example (as if there hasn’t been year after year) that the QB position reigns king as far winning championships go. 

All you just said is definitely plausible. I just find it even more telling that if what TY is saying in this clip is true, it really speaks to the emotional state Luck was or is in. I will not ever make fun of someone l’s mental state but it does make me wonder if Irsays comments the year prior about Luck and the “being between his ears” as the main problem were true. 

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Is it always important to be first and to share information that should be confidential? I don't believe it was his job to divulge that. Luck should have revealed it himself.

I used to like Schefter but I lost respect for him when he posted something from Jason Pierre-Paul's medical file. He acted like  a vulture when he did that. He had no right to post that. 

Just my opinion.

When you are paid to break news first yes it is.  Again, Schefter’s loyalty is to ESPN who paid him to do a job, not too the Colts, Andrew Luck, or Colts fans.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

When you are paid to break news first yes it is.  Again, Schefter’s loyalty is to ESPN who paid him to do a job, not too the Colts, Andrew Luck, or Colts fans.  

Agreed. Anyone blaming Schefter for the situation is simply deflecting. 

honestly, if I were investigating the timing only portion, it really does stick to the theory that Luck didn’t tell the team for sure until sometime before the game. Odds are, he told them before or after warmups and a player in the locker room texted someone, possibly an agent who couldn’t contain themselves. It got to Schefter, who likely reached out to Lucks team and it was confirmed.  Especially given that supposedly right before the game, the colts media team had sent out a request for a press conference schedule with local media, for the following day.  It just all is circumstantial and we’ll never really know the truth on the timeline and honestly, it doesn’t change anything. The end result is still the same. 

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

All you just said is definitely plausible. I just find it even more telling that if what TY is saying in this clip is true, it really speaks to the emotional state Luck was or is in. I will not ever make fun of someone l’s mental state but it does make me wonder if Irsays comments the year prior about Luck and the “being between his ears” as the main problem were true. 

Of course it was. I've been there too, so I definitely understand. If your heart isn't in it, then there's nothing anyone can do to help you. He was tapped out. Time to move on. My point is that if he was moving on and we did not as a franchise (which maybe we tried and failed), then who is really to blame? I don't necessarily blame Ballard. I think it's plausible that Irsay was making emotional decisions and keeping his thumb on what steps were taken to move on. Sometimes you have a qb fall in your lap, but often it takes aggressiveness... There was no urgency to fix the qb room permanently in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Colts not giving Luck an O-line was an absolute and utter failure on Grigson and the entire Colts Organization. 

Schefter was trash for announcing mid game. 

Luck should've announced his retirement in the off season. 

It was such a bad situation all around. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, csmopar said:

Source?

It was just a rumor I saw. No idea if it was remotely true and can't find it. I only remembered it because it seemed like a weird thing to make up out of thin air and it sort of tracks with the mental dilemma that Luck was facing at that time. Don't know about him going back to Europe, but him asking the org. for more time doesn't seem too far-fetched given the gravity of the decision he was making. 

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agreed. Anyone blaming Schefter for the situation is simply deflecting. 

honestly, if I were investigating the timing only portion, it really does stick to the theory that Luck didn’t tell the team for sure until sometime before the game. Odds are, he told them before or after warmups and a player in the locker room texted someone, possibly an agent who couldn’t contain themselves. It got to Schefter, who likely reached out to Lucks team and it was confirmed.  Especially given that supposedly right before the game, the colts media team had sent out a request for a press conference schedule with local media, for the following day.  It just all is circumstantial and we’ll never really know the truth on the timeline and honestly, it doesn’t change anything. The end result is still the same. 

It does make sense that evening was when Luck told some or most of his teammates in the locker room. And it would make sense one of them or someone else in that locker room leaked it to Schefter, who confirmed and then tweeted it out.

But as far as the org. leaders, I will always have a hard time believing they didn't know well before that. Or at least know he was strongly considering it. Not saying they knew in April or whatever, but weeks before seems possible. And we know that they can keep things close to the vest.

31 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I disagree but I can see why one would see that.

What did you think of his posting Jason Pierre Paul's medical chart showing the amputation of his finger? I found it disturbing regardless of whatever privacy laws were in place or not. Yes, Schefter is paid to share information about players/teams, but some information should be private. Even Schefter admitted that.  Schefter and ESPN were sued by Pierre-Paul and they settled.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:43 AM, shasta519 said:

I don’t think Luck would have come back if not for those boos. That sounds like a silly thing for TY to say. Maybe he meant make

more appearances around the org

this was what I thought too. But when I watched the video, he clearly is implying that he had those discussions with Luck, and that he was open to a comeback. But the boos squashed that. 

I don’t buy it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

The whole luck situation has never sat right with me. He strung the team along in 2017 before he was put on i.r. in October. Then played in 2018 for new coach Reich. Then the stories always seemed to be changing leading up to training camp in 2019. I've always had the feeling that he just didn't want to play. Just my opinion. And then we all remember it wasn't long after the retirement Ballard was pretty adamant that Luck will never be back and Ballard has always been pretty honest and straight forward.

I don't think Luck strung along the org. in 2017. That was Irsay. They took a similar approach with Peyton as well when he was hurt. 

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But as far as the org. leaders, I will always have a hard time believing they didn't know well before that. Or at least know he was strongly considering it. Not saying they knew in April or whatever, but weeks before seems possible. And we know that they can keep things close to the vest.

There’s zero chance they didn’t know it was a serious possibility. I would argue that they knew when his ankle issue turned up after the 2018 season. The comments by Irsay of it being between the ears tells me he likely expressed his frustrations and contemplations of retirement. Who knows- it may have been a recurring discussion throughout his last several years. The article that states Ballard tried to appeal to his “competitive fire” or something along those lines, tells me this was ongoing discussions, as well as they certainly knew before the preseason game where it was leaked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

this was what I thought too. But when I watched the video, he clearly is implying that he had those discussions with Luck, and that he was open to a comeback. But the boos squashed that. 

I don’t buy it. 

I don't buy it either. And I sort of feel like TY is taking an unnecessary shot at the fanbase. There weren't even many fans there and they certainly didn't represent the Colts fanbase at large.

The situation was unprecedented and I think the booing has been way overblown. People were clearly booing the idea that Luck would no longer be their QB, not the man himself. If you look at it from that perspective, that shows how much the fans loved him.

I mean...I still remember exactly where I was when that news broke. I was stunned and devastated. It was one of those types of moments. It was like a long-term relationship ending. So I can see why there was a visceral reaction.

• Like 2