Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY says Luck would’ve come back?

ArmchairQB

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

There’s zero chance they didn’t know it was a serious possibility. I would argue that they knew when his ankle issue turned up after the 2018 season. The comments by Irsay of it being between the ears tells me he likely expressed his frustrations and contemplations of retirement. Who knows- it may have been a recurring discussion throughout his last several years. The article that states Ballard tried to appeal to his “competitive fire” or something along those lines, tells me this was ongoing discussions, as well as they certainly knew before the preseason game where it was leaked. 

I forgot about those Irsay comments. Looks like they were all the way back in 2017. Seems pretty clear that there had been some discussion of it at some point, or at least of his mental state. Luck even chronicled his journey in that one interview, so it all sort of tracks.

For me, I actually thought there was a decent chance might be done once he missed all of 2017. I had sort of accepted that reality (and maybe other fans had as well). But then he comes back and starts playing an AP QB in 2018. It a roller coaster of two years for a fan. Can only imagine what it was like inside the org.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don't buy it either. And I sort of feel like TY is taking an unnecessary shot at the fanbase. There weren't even many fans there and they certainly didn't represent the Colts fanbase at large.

The situation was unprecedented and I think the booing has been way overblown. People were clearly booing the idea that Luck would no longer be their QB, not the man himself. If you look at it from that perspective, that shows how much the fans loved him.

I mean...I still remember exactly where I was when that news broke. I was stunned and devastated. It was one of those types of moments. It was like a long-term relationship ending. So I can see why there was a visceral reaction.

Let’s not forget those fans also watched him go thru warm ups and throw the ball and move just fine. Luck did that. Using your dating analogy, I’d liken it to planning and saving for a romantic get away only to be broken up with for no fault of your own, at the ticket gate waiting to board your flight.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Let’s not forget those fans also watched him go thru warm ups and throw the ball and move just fine. Luck did that. Using your dating analogy, I’d liken it to planning and saving for a romantic get away only to be broken up with for no fault of your own, at the ticket gate waiting to board your flight.

I still can’t believe he did that.

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That was the strangest part for me. I took a good friend and his dad that night. My friend was home on military leave after deployment, and neither of them followed the league much, but were definitely interested. We sat and talked about the prospect of the season, and I was especially excited after the run in 2018. Watching him throw and the way he was engaged on the sideline... it was a total blindside to have that ping on my phone. I'll never forget the strangeness of that feeling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

That was the strangest part for me. I took a good friend and his dad that night. My friend was home on military leave after deployment, and neither of them followed the league much, but were definitely interested. We sat and talked about the prospect of the season, and I was especially excited after the run in 2018. Watching him throw and the way he was engaged on the sideline... it was a total blindside to have that ping on my phone. I'll never forget the strangeness of that feeling. 

Same for me.  I totally understand the booing but it wasn't too bad.  Many were cheering him.   I just sat there.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

This article should be gospel on this topic. There are so many competing ideas and narratives, conspiracy theories about who know what, and when... It's all in this article.

Luck finished the 2018 season, then played in the Pro Bowl, where he strained his ankle. Looking back, he says he wishes that he decided to retire right then, early in the 2019 offseason, but he didn't. 

During training camp, while continuing to rehab the ankle and being frustrated with the process, he started discussing retirement with his wife. He told Anthony Castonzo that he was thinking about it. He told his family and friends, including his uncle, who was his agent. His uncle told him to sleep on it. Two days later, Luck was certain that he'd retire. Ballard and Reich tried to get him to reconsider, but he wouldn't. Ballard and Luck's agent/uncle did the retirement paperwork.

This is what happened over the next few days:

When Wilson met with Ballard to finalize the paperwork, both men cried. Luck savored his final days in pro football. He played catch with Doyle on the field before his next-to-last preseason game, putting his arm around him as they entered the tunnel. That weekend, Luck threw a birthday party for Nicole at a downtown Indianapolis restaurant called Bluebeard. He got chatty and told almost everyone in attendance, hoping they could keep a secret for a few days.

A week later on Saturday night in a preseason game against the Chicago Bears at Lucas Oil Stadium, Luck was on the sideline in street clothes. The secret plan was to announce his retirement the next afternoon. In the fourth quarter, Luck felt the mood in the building shift. The crowd was still lingering. There was a strange fervor. Cameras had turned toward him. Colts media relations executive Matt Conti came over holding his phone, with word that ESPN's Adam Schefter had broken the news.

"Well, it's out," Luck told Doyle and Castanzo.

The timeline is all there. Over the course of a couple weeks during training camp and preseason, Luck decided to retire, told the Colts, told his friends and family, etc. The Colts plan was to have him announce his retirement the day after the third preseason game. I don't know if there's a reason they decided to wait, but that amount of time passing + Luck telling a considerable amount of people led to the news leaking to the media.

Also, Jacoby Brissett said that he knew Luck was retiring before the Bears game. So the idea that the team was unaware and surprised by the news that night is totally wrong.

Schefter broke the news when he got it, which is his job. If anyone is to blame for the way the news broke, it's Luck and the Colts. But ultimately, that's such a small aspect of this story. I get fans who don't like how things were handled in those few days before the news came out, but it's Luck's decision, and his life. Holding such a deep seated grudge -- bordering on hatred for some -- seems misplaced, to me. 

All that said, what's clear from this article is that Luck did NOT decide to retire before the 2019 draft, nor did he tell the team he was retiring months before the news came out. He also didn't keep this from the team once he decided; the team knew his decision several days in advance. He struggled with his decision throughout the offseason, and made his decision to retire during training camp, at which point the team made arrangements to hold a press conference. Looking back, there are probably some things that all involved would have done differently, but at the end of the day, the team's star QB retired two weeks before the season started. No one hid it, no one lied about it, it caught everyone off guard, it sucked that it happened when it did and came out how it did, but oh well. 

Lastly, I haven't listened to what TY Hilton said, but based on the ESPN article, there's no way Luck was ever coming back to play. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It is. extremely strange. And probably why it’s still rather raw for probably half the fan base.

And honestly, that’s been my entire issue with it since. To go out there, warm up and show off your health and talent in front of fans that had come to adore you, all while knowing full well that you were going to be announcing your retirement very soon. And suddenly.

that is the biggest F-off you could do to the fan base of the team you’re supposed to be playing for. 

Combine that with just 3 days prior, Luck himself said in a video interview that I have linked before, that he was expecting to start in game 1 of the regular season(which is why I dispute the theory that the Colts knew of his plans “long before” the leak by ESPN) , it’s even worse. He deliberately mislead people and that is just wrong. That’s not an Irsay problem, that’s not a Ballard problem and that wasn’t Reich’s fault either. Those two actions were 100 percent the doing of Andrew Luck.  And stats aside,  those actions alone, are the reasons he should never qualify for the RoH. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It is. extremely strange. And probably why it’s still rather raw for probably half the fan base.

And honestly, that’s been my entire issue with it since. To go out there, warm up and show off your health and talent in front of fans that had come to adore you, all while knowing full well that you were going to be announcing your retirement very soon. And suddenly.

that is the biggest F-off you could do to the fan base of the team you’re supposed to be playing for. 

Combine that with just 3 days prior, Luck himself said in a video interview that I have linked before, that he was expecting to start in game 1 of the regular season(which is why I dispute the theory that the Colts knew of his plans “long before” the leak by ESPN) , it’s even worse. He deliberately mislead people and that is just wrong. That’s not an Irsay problem, that’s not a Ballard problem and that wasn’t Reich’s fault either. Those two actions were 100 percent the doing of Andrew Luck.  And stats aside,  those actions alone, are the reasons he should never qualify for the RoH. 

But as @Superman pointed out in the article, the papers were already drawn up. So I don't necessarily blame him as much as the organization for allowing it to happen. Not to throw more "could be" ideas out there, but perhaps the organization wanted it to get out/hoped for it to and give him as much time to think about it before finalizing. They obviously would do (as apparent by reaching out in multiple offseasons following his retirement) whatever it would take hoping he would come back.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But as @Superman pointed out in the article, the papers were already drawn up. So I don't necessarily blame him as much as the organization for allowing it to happen. Not to throw more "could be" ideas out there, but perhaps the organization wanted it to get out/hoped for it to and give him as much time to think about it before finalizing. They obviously would do (as apparent by reaching out in multiple offseasons following his retirement) whatever it would take hoping he would come back.

But most of the time, those papers are boiler sheet copies. Fill in the blank documents. They could have filled them out when he informed them before the game. Which is what a lot of his teammates said that he had done, that is telling the players before the game. My guess is he walked into Ballards office sometime that afternoon or early evening and said “I’ve made my decision, I’m out”. Wouldn’t take long to fill in the blanks. 

Either way, Luck did what he did in warm ups. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

But most of the time, those papers are boiler sheet copies. Fill in the blank documents. They could have filled them out when he informed them before the game. Which is what a lot of his teammates said that he had done, that is telling the players before the game. My guess is he walked into Ballards office sometime that afternoon or early evening and said “I’ve made my decision, I’m out”. Wouldn’t take long to fill in the blanks. 

Either way, Luck did what he did in warm ups. 

That's not the timeline the article indicated. It says his uncle (agent) finalized paperwork with Ballard and they cried. Luck savored his final days (as in not the moments before the game) in pro football. 

No one will ever know the details of why he was on the sideline and throwing during warmups. Maybe that was his last request. Maybe that is what the organization wanted to squeeze some extra ticket sales out. Who knows? 

It was a heart wrencher regardless. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

This article should be gospel on this topic. There are so many competing ideas and narratives, conspiracy theories about who know what, and when... It's all in this article.

Luck finished the 2018 season, then played in the Pro Bowl, where he strained his ankle. Looking back, he says he wishes that he decided to retire right then, early in the 2019 offseason, but he didn't. 

During training camp, while continuing to rehab the ankle and being frustrated with the process, he started discussing retirement with his wife. He told Anthony Castonzo that he was thinking about it. He told his family and friends, including his uncle, who was his agent. His uncle told him to sleep on it. Two days later, Luck was certain that he'd retire. Ballard and Reich tried to get him to reconsider, but he wouldn't. Ballard and Luck's agent/uncle did the retirement paperwork.

The timeline is all there. Over the course of a couple weeks during training camp and preseason, Luck decided to retire, told the Colts, told his friends and family, etc. The Colts plan was to have him announce his retirement the day after the third preseason game. I don't know if there's a reason they decided to wait, but that amount of time passing + Luck telling a considerable amount of people led to the news leaking to the media.

Also, Jacoby Brissett said that he knew Luck was retiring before the Bears game. So the idea that the team was unaware and surprised by the news that night is totally wrong.

Schefter broke the news when he got it, which is his job. If anyone is to blame for the way the news broke, it's Luck and the Colts. But ultimately, that's such a small aspect of this story. I get fans who don't like how things were handled in those few days before the news came out, but it's Luck's decision, and his life. Holding such a deep seated grudge -- bordering on hatred for some -- seems misplaced, to me. 

All that said, what's clear from this article is that Luck did NOT decide to retire before the 2019 draft, nor did he tell the team he was retiring months before the news came out. He also didn't keep this from the team once he decided; the team knew his decision several days in advance. He struggled with his decision throughout the offseason, and made his decision to retire during training camp, at which point the team made arrangements to hold a press conference. Looking back, there are probably some things that all involved would have done differently, but at the end of the day, the team's star QB retired two weeks before the season started. No one hid it, no one lied about it, it caught everyone off guard, it sucked that it happened when it did and came out how it did, but oh well. 

Lastly, I haven't listened to what TY Hilton said, but based on the ESPN article, there's no way Luck was ever coming back to play. 

yup, this all it right here from the horses mouth (pun intended)

Like you said, What I’m seeing is people trying to place to blame on someone when everyone played a part.  If I to break it down to a percentage I’d definitely give luck most of it.  You just can’t come to your employer weeks before something and say I’m done without any heads up whatsoever.  Luck should’ve said something when he knew it was a real possibility.  If I was Ballard and Reich I’d panic too lol.  But there could’ve been more transparency on the coaches and org part also despite the situation.

all in all, as I said before, luck wasn’t going to last long for us anyway.  He didn’t really want to play QB at an NFL level.  So he was going to retire soon anyway because the game was taking a toll on him.  I know, it sucks because we all loved luck, but he played a part in the circus.  That’s just the truth.  Respect to TY for taking up for his teammate but sorry, luck would not have came back.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Interesting read. And while it’s been posted before, it’s been behind a paywall and usually only able to read a portion of it but this time I was able to read the entire thing. 

While the insights answer the question of why he retired, and I can definitely relate as injuries derailed a promising career path for me, granted not a superstar, I can get why he walked away.  I will never blame him for choosing his family and ultimately his own mental wellbeing, over football. Infact, I’m happy he made that decision. It was and still is, the right decision for Andrew Luck. And I can respect that. 

however, I will not condone or excuse his actions of his final days. The interview saying to news outlets saying he’d be ready by week 1, just days before the leak, the throwing in warm ups before the very game it got leaked when in this very article, he claims to have made the decision and signed the papers a week prior. The fact he said this was the only thing he felt guilty about that whole thing was those very actions speaks that he would agree, he mislead folks and thus, toyed with them.  I will not change that stance and for this reason, plus the shorten, albeit brilliant career, he shouldn’t be in the RoH.  In fact, I think he would agree and based on that article, I don’t think he’d want any part of it. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I still can’t believe he did that.

Believe it, as hard as it is to believe, it happened. Plenty of us were there. In fact, it’s probably recorded still on my old DVR in the attic. I’ll have to dig that out some day. 

55 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

yup, this all it right here from the horses mouth (pun intended)

Like you said, What I’m seeing is people trying to place to blame on someone when everyone played a part.  If I to break it down to a percentage I’d definitely give luck most of it.  You just can’t come to your employer weeks before something and say I’m done without any heads up whatsoever.  Luck should’ve said something when he knew it was a real possibility.  If I was Ballard and Reich I’d panic too lol.  But there could’ve been more transparency on the coaches and org part also despite the situation.

all in all, as I said before, luck wasn’t going to last long for us anyway.  He didn’t really want to play QB at an NFL level.  So he was going to retire soon anyway because the game was taking a toll on him.  I know, it sucks because we all loved luck, but he played a part in the circus.  That’s just the truth.  Respect to TY for taking up for his teammate but sorry, luck would not have came back.  

Thinking about it in hindsight. I think the team and Luck would have been best served since the decision came so late in the preseason, to simply put him on IR for the year, then retire in December /January. That honestly would have made a HUGE difference in Luck’s legacy and honestly, lessened 99 percent of any flak he has and will continue to receive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Thinking about it in hindsight. I think the team and Luck would have been best served since the decision came so late in the preseason, to simply put him on IR for the year, then retire in December /January. That honestly would have made a HUGE difference in Luck’s legacy and honestly, lessened 99 percent of any flak he has and will continue to receive. 

If that doesn’t break any rules, I 1000% agree with you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I understand what you are saying, but that probably wasn’t even an option in Luck’s world. The best way out of a hard situation is to rip the bandaid off and start the healing process as soon as you can. Had he prolonged it, he might have been forced to do things he didn’t want to do. Would have undoubtedly felt the pressure even more so. Would have missed an entire seasons worth of time with his family. There’s a lot of reasons that went into his decision. His legacy probably was at the very bottom of the list. It was so abrupt that i would say it was basically him attempting to hold off as long as he could, and potentially even following the season, but just couldn’t do it any longer. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I understand what you are saying, but that probably wasn’t even an option in Luck’s world. The best way out of a hard situation is to rip the bandaid off and start the healing process as soon as you can. Had he prolonged it, he might have been forced to do things he didn’t want to do. Would have undoubtedly felt the pressure even more so. Would have missed an entire seasons worth of time with his family. There’s a lot of reasons that went into his decision. His legacy probably was at the very bottom of the list. It was so abrupt that i would say it was basically him attempting to hold off as long as he could, and potentially even following the season, but just couldn’t do it any longer. 

Perhaps. But again, we have the luxury of hindsight. The colts and luck didn’t. That I will give them both. 

in the end, none of us here have any bearing on what happened or what will happen in regards to Luck.  In the end, Jim Irsay, for all his faults, and all the flack he received when he said that Luck’s issues were between his own ears, was right. Luck, with all respect, was indeed having personal mental issues that in the end, forced a career and life change. The mannerisms and timing will be debated, but the underlying causes, are indicative of a young man struggling under the pressure of fulfilling shoes vacated by the legend before him.  And most in his position, make bad decisions such as drugs, alcohol or worse. Luck chose his mental health and family and that was the right decision, despite my qualms with how he handled it.

Ultimately, I think Irsay and his daughters are very much  aware of this and like I said above, it’s in everyone’s best interest to simply close the book that was the Andrew Luck era, and leave it closed. No returns, no RoH, they’ll likely leave it as it stands currently. 

The sad realty is no matter how many years pass, his actions in August of 2019 will be scrutinized and debated until the end of time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Interesting read. And while it’s been posted before, it’s been behind a paywall and usually only able to read a portion of it but this time I was able to read the entire thing. 

While the insights answer the question of why he retired, and I can definitely relate as injuries derailed a promising career path for me, granted not a superstar, I can get why he walked away.  I will never blame him for choosing his family and ultimately his own mental wellbeing, over football. Infact, I’m happy he made that decision. It was and still is, the right decision for Andrew Luck. And I can respect that. 

however, I will not condone or excuse his actions of his final days. The interview saying to news outlets saying he’d be ready by week 1, just days before the leak, the throwing in warm ups before the very game it got leaked when in this very article, he claims to have made the decision and signed the papers a week prior. The fact he said this was the only thing he felt guilty about that whole thing was those very actions speaks that he would agree, he mislead folks and thus, toyed with them.  I will not change that stance and for this reason, plus the shorten, albeit brilliant career, he shouldn’t be in the RoH.  In fact, I think he would agree and based on that article, I don’t think he’d want any part of it. 

I have questions about your timeline. I don't think he said he'd be ready by Week 1 'days before the leak.' What I found was an interview with him at the start of camp, a month before the Bears game. If you can find the link you referenced earlier, that would be awesome. I could quibble about him throwing in warmups, but the article acknowledges that he did this after he had decided to retire. 

I definitely agree that it wasn't a good look for him to throw during warmups, given the entirety of the situation. But I don't think there was anything nefarious about it. I don't think the team was trying to hide the reality of the situation to sell tickets, or anything like that. And I don't think Luck was trying to mislead anyone or toy with them. I think Luck somewhat selfishly just wanted to go through warmups with his teammates, one last time, and that's understandable. One could say that's a privilege to which he was no longer entitled, and that's fair, but bottom line, I don't think he was trying to mislead people.

End of the day, I don't fault anyone for not liking how Luck handled things. We're all entitled to our opinions. I think your stance is overly harsh, but that doesn't really matter because your perspective doesn't require my agreement for it to be valid. I just see it differently.

What does grind my gears is the alternative version of history that gets shuffled around. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have questions about your timeline. I don't think he said he'd be ready by Week 1 'days before the leak.' What I found was an interview with him at the start of camp, a month before the Bears game. If you can find the link you referenced earlier, that would be awesome. I could quibble about him throwing in warmups, but the article acknowledges that he did this after he had decided to retire. 

I definitely agree that it wasn't a good look for him to throw during warmups, given the entirety of the situation. But I don't think there was anything nefarious about it. I don't think the team was trying to hide the reality of the situation to sell tickets, or anything like that. And I don't think Luck was trying to mislead anyone or toy with them. I think Luck somewhat selfishly just wanted to go through warmups with his teammates, one last time, and that's understandable. One could say that's a privilege to which he was no longer entitled, and that's fair, but bottom line, I don't think he was trying to mislead people.

End of the day, I don't fault anyone for not liking how Luck handled things. We're all entitled to our opinions. I think your stance is overly harsh, but that doesn't really matter because your perspective doesn't require my agreement for it to be valid. I just see it differently.

What does grind my gears is the alternative version of history that gets shuffled around. 

I definitely agree about there not being anything nefarious to try and sell tickets or anything. And it probably was just that simple, luck wanting to go thru it one last time. that said, what it portrayed was something else entirely. 
But to your point , if he had truly signed those papers before that day as he claims, the Colts never should have let him out there. That’s partially on them and Luck, as smart and media conscious as he seems, never should have gone through with it either. 

I’ll dig out my old s5. The screenshots and link to the YouTube clip are on it. 

but like I said, in the end, it was a crap situation that was poorly handled and the Colts have moved on. Luck has moved on, I’m thinking this forum, myself included needs to move on. Every month we’re all debating the same thing over and over in regards to Luck cause someone posts some thread and we are all drawn in like a moth to a bug light.  I’m just as guilty as anyone else about dragging it on too.  That said, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to stop this debate. 

have a good evening

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

:highfive2: What is the "whole situation"?

from the retirement, the way it was leaked, the 30 preseason fans who bood' - which is somehow correlated to all colts fans, to TY hilton saying what he said. its all dumb in my opinion

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, ArmchairQB said:

On a recent episode of the Trenches Podcast TY Hilton seems to indicate Luck would’ve come back had Colts fans not booed him off the field.  

If he wanted to play, he wouldn't have retired.

And as far as being booed off the field, what Sid he expect the reaction would be from fans on their franchise QB quitting on them in his prime  just 2 weeks before the season???? 

I like TY, but I don't think what he said is valid or makes.sense.... just my opinion.

• Like 4

On 2/12/2024 at 12:58 PM, Superman said:

Schefter broke the news when he got it, which is his jobs

I dont forgive him for that.  Sports media can be straight up toxic and "its their job" doesnt excuse it.   I dont care who you are or what you do, if you get an order thats morally wrong you can always second guess it.

He should have at least talked to Luck because announcing that at the time he did with people in a stadium could have been dangerous.  People were drunk, if this was some place like philly with a lot of people in the stadium there could have been riots and violence.  The timing was super shady and "its his job" doesnt fly with me.  He also could have not done it

7 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont forgive him for that.  Sports media can be straight up toxic and "its their job" doesnt excuse it.   I dont care who you are or what you do, if you get an order thats morally wrong you can always second guess it.

He should have at least talked to Luck because announcing that at the time he did with people in a stadium could have been dangerous.  People were drunk, if this was some place like philly with a lot of people in the stadium there could have been riots and violence.  The timing was super shady and "its his job" doesnt fly with me.  He also could have not done it

You're obviously entitled to your own opinion on this, but I disagree with the idea that there's anything morally wrong with what Schefter did. To the contrary, I think it would be lacking in integrity for any reporter to go consult with the subject of the story to figure out the most favorable way to put the news out. 

I think your hypothetical is pretty far-fetched, but the people who should have concerned themselves with the potential optics and outcome are Andrew Luck, and the Colts. They had several days to publish the news about his retirement before the media found out, and they didn't. If anyone is to blame, it's them. And if things had gotten out of hand, it would have been on Luck and the Colts for sitting on a major story, and for telling people before they were ready for the story to get out. 

Luck had days, more than a week, to announce his retirement, before Schefter reported it. In that time, he told a bunch of friends, family, and teammates that he was retiring. And that's how news gets leaked. For someone who was always very private with his personal life and wanted to control his own narrative, Luck really didn't think that one through. 

And to be clear, I'm not at all mad at him for retiring, or for the way it happened. So I'm not trying to be accusatory. I think the outrage is silly. But if anyone messed up the messaging, it's Luck and the Colts. Schefter reported a verified, accurate news story. That's literally what reporters are meant to do. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

. That's literally what reporters are meant to do.

Its irresponsible and down right shady of him to do it when there was a stadium with a bunch of drunk colts fans in Indiana 

Now people use this to spread hate about us for booing when it never should have been announced like that.  Any fan base anywhere would have had people booing in that scenario.  Its not crazy to think it could have caused violence too, hell that just happened at a parade where the chiefs were celebrating a win.  If this were philly i think there probably would have been violence.

A bunch of angry drunks hit the streets of dowtown  indy on a Saturday night shocked after that.  Its not as far fetched as you are making it out to be. 

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Its irresponsible and down right shady of him to do it when there was a stadium with a bunch of drunk colts fans in Indiana 

Now people use this to spread hate about us for booing when it never should have been announced like that.  Any fan base anywhere would have had people booing in that scenario.  Its not crazy to think it could have caused violence too, hell that just happened at a parade where the chiefs were celebrating a win.  If this were philly i think there probably would have been violence.

A bunch of angry drunks hit the streets of dowtown  indy on a Saturday night shocked after that.  Its not as far fetched as you are making it out to be. 

No it’s not.  Reporters don’t get to pick when news breaks in today’s world.  If Schefter sat on it some other insider would have found out and then Schefter would have had to explain to his boss why he sat on one of the largest NFL stories of the year and let himself get scooped when the whole reason they hired him was his ability to get these stories first.  

Schefter’s loyalty is to his employer not the Colts, not Andrew Luck, and not the Colts fans.  He’s also not responsible for what they do with the news.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Schefter sat on it some other insider would have found out and then Schefter would have had to explain to his boss why he sat on one of the largest NFL stories of the year and let himself get scooped when the whole reason they hired him was his ability to get these stories first.  

That is why media sucks.  Racing to be the first without stopping to consider if its irresponsible or dangerous.

I dont forgive him. This wasnt ok in spite of being their job.

I quit watching sports media a few years ago.  Its become an all out race to be the first while considering nothing else.  It sucks for society tbh 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

That is why media sucks.  Racing to be the first without stopping to consider if its irresponsible or dangerous.

I dont forgive him. This wasnt ok in spite of being their job.

I quit watching sports media a few years ago.  Its become an all out race to be the first while considering nothing else.  It sucks for society tbh 

To me, the idea that fans would riot after getting the news that a player retires says a lot more about the fans than it does about the media. I think there was almost zero danger of a riot from Schefter reporting this news. But if there was any danger, to me, that would say that fans suck, not the media.

The guy was reporting that a player decided not to play football anymore. Let's keep a player's early and unexpected retirement in a bit of perspective in regard to bigger problems that individuals, families, and communities face every day. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I think there was almost zero danger of a riot from Schefter reporting this news.

Somebody just died in a celebration parade over a football game.  Its not nearly as far fetched as you think

A bunch of angry drunks hit the streets of downtown indy that night.  Its not uncommon to have shootings in downtown indy anyway and when you add a bunch of anger and alcohol it makes it more likely. Big events tend to bring violence these days, its sad but true.  The nba all star game may have been the reason for a shooting and fatality near the airport this weekend in indy for the record.

While the individuals deserve the blame its big events with alcohol and anger that make them more likely to happen.

This was dangerous and irresponsible of Schefter but he doesnt care, he just wants to be the first.  Now people are spreading hate about indy and our fans over the booing when it would have happened anywhere in this scenario. 

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Somebody just died in a celebration parade over a football game.  Its not nearly as far fetched as you think

A bunch of angry drunks hit the streets of downtown indy that night.  Its not uncommon to have shootings in downtown indy anyway and when you add a bunch of anger and alcohol it makes it more likely. Big events tend to bring violence these days, its sad but true.  The nba all star game may have been the reason for a shooting and fatality near the airport this weekend in indy for the record.

While the individuals deserve the blame its big events with alcohol and anger that make them more likely to happen.

This was dangerous and irresponsible of Schefter but he doesnt care, he just wants to be the first.  Now people are spreading hate about indy and our fans over the booing when it would have happened anywhere in this scenario. 

Not that i agree or disagree but from all reports, the argument that led to said mentioned shootout at the parade is said to be gang related and not football related.

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

People are on edge these days... I know some of you think im being absurd but do you actually go to downtown indy on Saturday nights??

Not anymore. Not unless I’m in an MRAP or Abrams …

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not that i agree or disagree but from all reports, the argument that led to said mentioned shootout at the parade is said to be gang related and not football related.

Not anymore. Not unless I’m in an MRAP or Abrams …

Abrams would end up on blocks in circle center lol

Let's move on from talking about guns. It is a political issue. If you truly care about the Colts and care about this forum, you should recognize when a subject is not appropriate. Some of you have been here over 10 years and know what not to talk about. 

So, no more talking about guns. Thanks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Schefter sat on it some other insider would have found out and then Schefter would have had to explain to his boss why he sat on one of the largest NFL stories of the year and let himself get scooped when the whole reason they hired him was his ability to get these stories first.  

That is a sad commentary. You are right but I don't like it.

Just now, NFLfan said:

That is a sad commentary. You are right but I don't like it.

That’s fair.  I can understand if people don’t like the world we live in with social media making having to break news first so important.  I am not casting judgement on if it’s a good thing or not just stating this is the way it is.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

Haha nah. Well maybe after it ran out of fuel

Not that I would know much about tanks since I walked everywhere (well, sometimes they let us sit in a field for two days waiting for a flying machine, but that is not germane to this reply); I do know that Abrams is a thirsty girl. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lester said:

Not that I would know much about tanks since I walked everywhere (well, sometimes they let us sit in a field for two days waiting for a flying machine, but that is not germane to this reply); I do know that Abrams is a thirsty girl. LOL

Half mil per gallon, down hill, in neutral with the engine off.

4 hours ago, lester said:

What is Abrams? A tank?

@csmopar

On 2/19/2024 at 3:39 AM, BlackTiger said:

I think it's pretty far-fetched. And as it happened, there was no violence, so it also seems kind of sensational to keep bringing it up.

People who say negative things about the couple hundred Colts fans who booed Luck are irrelevant. But still, that's not on Schefter. The way people reacted to the news he reported is not his responsibility. 

Even if people had rioted, their ridiculous and irresponsible behavior would be on them, not on the news, or the subject of the news, or the person who reported the news. This is incredibly unfair blame shifting. I understand not liking how/when the news came out. But you're blaming Schefter for something that didn't happen, and would not have been his fault even if it had happened. 

I wish Luck had been able to share his news on his own terms. But it's his fault -- mostly Luck, with some blame reserved for the Colts -- that the news came out the way it did. He shouldn't have told anyone outside of his tight inner circle, certainly not a week before he intended to announce it. 

• Like 3