Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s Not Overlook the Falcons

Smonroe

Although I’m having a hard time expounding on reasons why.

They do have a great TE, which always give us trouble.  Robinson is supposedly the most talented rookie RB (IMO, he hasn’t shown it yet).  London and Allgeier can be weapons.  They lost to the worst team in the league, but the weather helped make their below average QB even more below average.  

We’re probably without Moss and MPJ.  Their D is better than ours, on paper anyway.  

I’m always nervous about being a favorite on the road to a team that just came off a humiliating loss.

So, like last week, I’m predicting a 10 point Colts loss.  @jvan1973 you taking the points again?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They do have a great TE, which always give us trouble.  Robinson is supposedly the most talented rookie RB (IMO, he hasn’t shown it yet).  London and Allgeier can be weapons.  They lost to the worst team in the league, but the weather helped make their below average QB even more below average.  

We’re probably without Moss and MPJ.  Their D is better than ours, on paper anyway.  

I’m always nervous about being a favorite on the road to a team that just came off a humiliating loss.

So, like last week, I’m predicting a 10 point Colts loss.  @jvan1973 you taking the points again?

Here's hoping you are wrong 2 weeks in a row 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Every game from now until February is a playoff game and sudden death. We have to take care of business against Atlanta, Oakland and Houston. 

I think the Raiders have proved that you can't lose sight of yourself or play relaxed. If the Colts continue to play with an edge, we win. 

The good news is we have a head coach who is focused and knows what's at stake. And he's got his guys fired up. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Absolutely 

I doubt that we overlook anyone during this critical stretch. All hands on deck is the approach we take every week. 

One 4 game streak followed by a loss to the Bengals followed by another 4 game streak is what I am expecting. :) 

So, yeah, no one is overlooking the Falcons.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I doubt that we overlook anyone during this critical stretch. All hands on deck is the approach we take every week. 

One 4 game streak followed by a loss to the Bengals followed by another 4 game streak is what I am expecting. :) 

I hope we get in.  If we make it there is not one team I would be concerned about not being competitive with.  Our roster is strong enough to beat any of them.  If we get in we will be peaking at the right time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Agreed, they didn't lose to the Bengals because they overlooked them.

This matchup is interesting to me. The Colts have an opportunistic defense that typically takes advantage of mistakes made by sloppy QBs. Ridder makes a lot of sloppy mistakes. But unlike the Steelers, the Falcons can actually the ball, even if it's not efficient. They just don't finish drives -- lots of missed FGs and turnovers. They could hurt us if we don't tackle.

And their defense is not bad, decent in yardage, points allowed, completions against, etc. But they don't force a lot of turnovers or get a lot of sacks. Kind of the opposite of the Colts...

The Falcons have played a reasonably tame schedule, like the Colts. In the last four weeks, they lost to the Bucs and Panthers, but beat the Saints; we lost to the Saints, but beat the Bucs and Panthers. Kind of feels like a mirror team for the Colts, but they might be trending the wrong way while the Colts are galvanizing. And I think Ridder is better and more capable than Heinicke, so if they bench Ridder it probably helps us.

I think the Colts should be able to win this game. They're favored by 2.5, on the road. Lots of action on the Falcons, though, which is kind of surprising. Maybe just because the Colts as a road favorite isn't something anyone wants to bet on, which I understand.

Figure Pittman doesn't go, but there's a chance Taylor and Moss are active, and this is a game where the Colts need to keep leaning on the run game. Maybe Smith even comes back...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed, they didn't lose to the Bengals because they overlooked them.

This matchup is interesting to me. The Colts have an opportunistic defense that typically takes advantage of mistakes made by sloppy QBs. Ridder makes a lot of sloppy mistakes. But unlike the Steelers, the Falcons can actually the ball, even if it's not efficient. They just don't finish drives -- lots of missed FGs and turnovers. They could hurt us if we don't tackle.

And their defense is not bad, decent in yardage, points allowed, completions against, etc. But they don't force a lot of turnovers or get a lot of sacks. Kind of the opposite of the Colts...

The Falcons have played a reasonably tame schedule, like the Colts. In the last four weeks, they lost to the Bucs and Panthers, but beat the Saints; we lost to the Saints, but beat the Bucs and Panthers. Kind of feels like a mirror team for the Colts, but they might be trending the wrong way while the Colts are galvanizing. And I think Ridder is better and more capable than Heinicke, so if they bench Ridder it probably helps us.

I think the Colts should be able to win this game. They're favored by 2.5, on the road. Lots of action on the Falcons, though, which is kind of surprising. Maybe just because the Colts as a road favorite isn't something anyone wants to bet on, which I understand.

Figure Pittman doesn't go, but there's a chance Taylor and Moss are active, and this is a game where the Colts need to keep leaning on the run game. Maybe Smith even comes back...

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on Pittman.  His concussion happened on a Saturday not Sunday.  Maybe the extra day gives him a chance.

45 minutes ago, SSColts said:

Hopefully it's Ridder. I smell another game similar to last year with the Commanders with Heinicke as the starter.

Heineken (as a good friend of mine calls him) has a lot of NFL experience and is a better QB than Ridder.  I also hope they don’t start him.  

They went with the cheap youth hoping he’d continue to improve after showing some promise last year.  Hasn’t happened yet.  Another team drafting a QB next year.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Creekside said:

I don't care what anyone else does. I'm going to completely overlook the Falcons.

I might not even wear a jockstrap.

Yeah us fans can over look everyone it doesn’t matter.  It’s what those guys in the locker room do and I don’t think Shane is the type of coach to let them over look anyone.

ATL's defense is pretty good and consistent. 

Their offense should be better than what it is, especially the passing game.  The QB situation doesn't help, but the passing game problems go deeper than that IMO.  Pitts and Bijan Robinson could give our LBers fits, and Allgeier is always tough to tackle.  Patterson is returning from injury.   

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I am honestly a whole lot more nervous about the Raiders game. I don't have a good feeling about that one.

They are such a strange team, going from 0 points to 63.  They have a great RB (assuming he’s back) and WR, and apparently O’Connell may be their future.  Their D has played well as of late.  

Let’s hope the Chiefs takes the wind out of their sails.  

Heinecke is a gun slinger, you never know what you are going to get. He will have a lot of turnover worthy plays by throwing it out there and giving his skill position guys a chance to catch it, so we need to come down with a couple of those in the game to temper his enthusiasm to gun sling again. He beat us with Terry McLaurin posterizing Stephon Gilmore, at home as a member of Washington last year, if you remember. That is the X factor with Heinecke, that streaky upside for a quarter or a half that can tilt the game in their favor. With Ridder, you know what you are going to get. Bradley can afford to sit back vs Ridder but might have to speed up Heinecke's processing since he can throw better on the run than Ridder, IMO

Plus, Arthur Smith coaching for his job suggests it will be Heinecke.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Heinecke is a gun slinger, you never know what you are going to get. He will have a lot of turnover worthy plays by throwing it out there and giving his skill position guys a chance to catch it, so we need to come down with a couple of those in the game to temper his enthusiasm to gun sling again. He beat us with Terry McLaurin posterizing Stephon Gilmore, at home as a member of Washington last year, if you remember. That is the X factor with Heinecke, that streaky upside for a quarter or a half that can tilt the game in their favor. With Ridder, you know what you are going to get. Bradley can afford to sit back vs Ridder but might have to speed up Heinecke's processing since he can throw better on the run than Ridder, IMO

I was looking at the games where he played this year.  Seems Ridder has had better numbers than him. That’s probably why they went back to Ridder. They will both make mistakes colts need to capitalize on. 

Colts need to start off stronger then they have been.

• Like 1

I tend to think most NFL players realize that the team they are playing is filled with some of the 1800 or so best players in the world, so they know they have to give their best.

Cold be wrong though.

Have not watched the Falcons this year so I will keep reading what others post and hope for the best Sunday.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was looking at the games where he played this year.  Seems Ridder has had better numbers than him. That’s probably why they went back to Ridder. They will both make mistakes colts need to capitalize on. 

Colts need to start off stronger then they have been.

Heinecke holds the ball longer, so fumbles are an issue. If we play to some level of our ceiling, we should beat the Falcons even if it’s a close one, Ridder or Heinecke.

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He probably played his greatest game ever (when he was with Washington) vs the Colts last year.

As I recall, Heinicke feasted on Bradley's defense, and led his team to a last minute, game winning score.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

He probably played his greatest game ever (when he was with Washington) vs the Colts last year.

As I recall, Heinicke feasted on Bradley's defense, and led his team to a last minute, game winning score.

Or that game in which he almost beat Brady and the Bucs in the playoffs. Heinicke is REAL streaky and if you let him get comfortable he can do damage but on the flip side he's also turnover prone. Kinda reminds me of the retired Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Falcons are still in the playoff hunt and have an outside shot at the division so the Colts must take care of business.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Falcons are the exact opposite of the Colts when it comes to team building. They don't value the trenches and draft skill players like Robinson and Pitts. It's been a disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Colts were in position to win that game with like ten seconds left with Sam at QB. Not sure I would say it was his greatest game.