Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Pass Rush and Sacks


krunk

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, krunk said:

About where they’ve been honestly, we were third after week 3, then suddenly dropped off for a couple games, then we started back up the curve so to speak. Especially as Dayo started coming on strong. Let’s up they keep it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imagine where this team would be if we blitzed more. 

 

If you don't want to click on the link: 

 

NFL standings ordered by total team sacks

1. Baltimore Ravens: 47
2. Buffalo Bills: 41
3. Miami Dolphins: 38
4. Dallas Cowboys: 37
5. Kansas City Chiefs: 37
6. Indianapolis Colts: 36
7. Los Angeles Chargers: 36
8. Washington Commanders: 35
9. Cleveland Browns: 34
10. San Francisco 49ers: 33
11. Minnesota Vikings: 32
12. Philadelphia Eagles: 32
13. Arizona Cardinals: 32
14. Pittsburgh Steelers: 32
15. Seattle Seahawks: 32
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 31
17. Tennessee Titans: 29
18. Cincinnati Bengals: 28
19. Las Vegas Raiders: 28
20. New York Jets: 28
21. Green Bay Packers: 26
22. Los Angeles Rams: 25
23. New England Patriots: 24
24. Jacksonville Jaguars: 24
25. Houston Texans: 24
26. Denver Broncos: 23
27. Detroit Lions: 23
28. Atlanta Falcons: 22
29. New York Giants: 21
30. New Orleans Saints: 18
31. Carolina Panthers: 18
32. Chicago Bears: 17

 

The Colts currently have the sixth-most sacks on the season with 36. The Baltimore Ravens are comfortably at No. 1 with 47, but top three is definitely in reach for Indianapolis. Currently, the Miami Dolphins are third with 38 sacks on the year, just two more than Indianapolis.

 

As the Colts push for the playoffs, the pass rush will need to remain a factor. It’s not a coincidence that Indianapolis is riding a three-game winning streak at the same time the pass rush is dominating; the two are connected. In order to win in this league, especially late in the season, you have to be able to get after the quarterback. Indy is doing a good job of that right now

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Imagine where this team would be if we blitzed more. 

 

If you don't want to click on the link: 

 

NFL standings ordered by total team sacks

1. Baltimore Ravens: 47
2. Buffalo Bills: 41
3. Miami Dolphins: 38
4. Dallas Cowboys: 37
5. Kansas City Chiefs: 37
6. Indianapolis Colts: 36
7. Los Angeles Chargers: 36
8. Washington Commanders: 35
9. Cleveland Browns: 34
10. San Francisco 49ers: 33
11. Minnesota Vikings: 32
12. Philadelphia Eagles: 32
13. Arizona Cardinals: 32
14. Pittsburgh Steelers: 32
15. Seattle Seahawks: 32
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 31
17. Tennessee Titans: 29
18. Cincinnati Bengals: 28
19. Las Vegas Raiders: 28
20. New York Jets: 28
21. Green Bay Packers: 26
22. Los Angeles Rams: 25
23. New England Patriots: 24
24. Jacksonville Jaguars: 24
25. Houston Texans: 24
26. Denver Broncos: 23
27. Detroit Lions: 23
28. Atlanta Falcons: 22
29. New York Giants: 21
30. New Orleans Saints: 18
31. Carolina Panthers: 18
32. Chicago Bears: 17

 

The Colts currently have the sixth-most sacks on the season with 36. The Baltimore Ravens are comfortably at No. 1 with 47, but top three is definitely in reach for Indianapolis. Currently, the Miami Dolphins are third with 38 sacks on the year, just two more than Indianapolis.

 

As the Colts push for the playoffs, the pass rush will need to remain a factor. It’s not a coincidence that Indianapolis is riding a three-game winning streak at the same time the pass rush is dominating; the two are connected. In order to win in this league, especially late in the season, you have to be able to get after the quarterback. Indy is doing a good job of that right now

Probably a lot more long TD passes given up

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How on earth did we let the Saints look like world beaters? Pass rushing with blitzing, when you have DB injuries, is a dangerous proposition leaving lesser CBs on an island, like that Saints game showed. 

 

The health of our CBs is the biggest factor for the home stretch of the season because it impacts what Gus Bradley could/should do and cannot.

 

If you look at the sack percentage, the last 3 games have skewed it in the Colts' favor, big time, look at this table:

 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sack-pct

 

Sack % for whole season stands at 8.7% while last 3 games have almost a 70% variation above our average at 13.39%, reflective of the opposition, the Panthers, Patriots and Bucs' OL.

 

Change that to November 9th and it says a different story. Our pass rush aren't world beaters, but they are definitely better than middle of the pack, and hopefully the last 3 game upward trajectory continues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do teams choose to pass a lot when playing the Colts?  (Lbers, secondary?)

 

Just an observation, I think CAR and CHI probably have better dlines than what is reflected in their sack ranking.  With their offenses, opponents probably aren't compelled to engage in a shoot out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do teams choose to pass a lot when playing the Colts?  (Lbers, secondary?)

 

Just an observation, I think CAR and CHI probably have better dlines than what is reflected in their sack ranking.  With their offenses, opponents probably aren't compelled to engage in a shoot out.

Why do you think the Panthers and bears have a better dline.  Leave out zero details 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I agree. 

 

I'm not complaining about the output, it's good to get sacks. But that stat needs a lot of context. First, it's a high variance stat: some offenses are much better at avoiding sacks than others, and the Colts have played a very favorable schedule (which gets easier moving forward). Just think about how much of a mess the Patriots offense was, and how easily we got sacks in that game, compared with the Saints game, when we basically couldn't touch Derek Carr. 

 

Also, sacks without a high pressure rate is not sustainable. We're below median in pressure rate, and way above median in sack rate, so our sack production is probably heavily dependent on the circumstances. 

 

I'll take the sacks, but it would be a mistake to think this means we have a really good pass rush. It's kind of fool's gold. I hope Ballard and Co. aren't satisfied with what we have.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I agree. 

 

I'm not complaining about the output, it's good to get sacks. But that stat needs a lot of context. First, it's a high variance stat: some offenses are much better at avoiding sacks than others, and the Colts have played a very favorable schedule (which gets easier moving forward). Just think about how much of a mess the Patriots offense was, and how easily we got sacks in that game, compared with the Saints game, when we basically couldn't touch Derek Carr. 

 

Also, sacks without a high pressure rate is not sustainable. We're below median in pressure rate, and way above median in sack rate, so our sack production is probably heavily dependent on the circumstances. 

 

I'll take the sacks, but it would be a mistake to think this means we have a really good pass rush. It's kind of fool's gold. I hope Ballard and Co. aren't satisfied with what we have.

That's how I see it as well. 

 

Our last 4 games we've been winning have all been against teams who are struggling to protect their QB. On one hand that means our line is at least good enough to feast on that, but on the other it also means the stat is a bit skewed. 

 

Like you said, the Saints have been terrible against practically everyone else except us. And don't forget that Cleveland had it's way in the trenches allowing Walker of all people to shred us... 

 

We won't be facing the Panthers, Patriots, and Titans lines when in the playoffs... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.


Giving up a high draft pick AND paying a huge contract is rarely worth it.   
 

There were 15 trades made at the deadline.   Only one involved a team with a losing record where they gave up a high pick and then signed the player to a big contract.   Chicago and Sweat.   The same Bears team that did the same last year trading for the Pittsburg WR.   And that would up costing them the 33rd pick in the draft.   So there’s good reason losing teams don’t do it.   It’s very expensive and not smart.  
 

Im sure DE will be our shopping list in free agency and the draft.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why do you think the Panthers and bears have a better dline.  Leave out zero details 

Saluting you boss, all a tremble.  I'll get right on it.

 

But that's a rich request (command) coming from you.  Can I simply reciprocate.....and post a response as short as you typically do?  Do you ever provide details, or just question or rebut what everybody else ( I mean the posters you don't like) says with two sentences?

 

When you ask my opinion about the dline, are you moving the goal post in a gotcha maneuver by changing the question to whether or not they have better dlines than the Colts.....or keeping it to what I said, a better inherent dline than their last in the NFL sack ranking?

 

In which case, if they had the 25th and 26th best dlines, or even worse, would still make my thought correct.

 

Having said all of this, please note that I intentionally ignored your actual command.  

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.

Couldn’t agree more with needing another pass rusher. Even if that comes from a quality pass rushing DT I’ll take it. Outside of Buck and Grove our other DTs are just okay anyhow. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:


Giving up a high draft pick AND paying a huge contract is rarely worth it.   
 

There were 15 trades made at the deadline.   Only one involved a team with a losing record where they gave up a high pick and then signed the player to a big contract.   Chicago and Sweat.   The same Bears team that did the same last year trading for the Pittsburg WR.   And that would up costing them the 33rd pick in the draft.   So there’s good reason losing teams don’t do it.   It’s very expensive and not smart.  
 

Im sure DE will be our shopping list in free agency and the draft.  


Mr. Buckner (and Colts nation) begs to differ with your first sentence, lol!  But I understand where you’re coming from.

 

As to the last sentence, we really haven’t been successful finding a star pass rusher in the draft. Some good, some busts.  And we blew the chance on two guys who have a ton more potential already.  
 

Plus, you know how Ballard is in Free Agency.  Not exactly a spend thrift, and star edge rushers won’t be cheap.  I haven’t looked at the 24 draft class, so I could be dead wrong there.  Still, I’d take a proven guy first up if he were young.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


Mr. Buckner (and Colts nation) begs to differ with your first sentence, lol!  But I understand where you’re coming from.

 

As to the last sentence, we really haven’t been successful finding a star pass rusher in the draft. Some good, some busts.  And we blew the chance on two guys who have a ton more potential already.  
 

Plus, you know how Ballard is in Free Agency.  Not exactly a spend thrift, and star edge rushers won’t be cheap.  I haven’t looked at the 24 draft class, so I could be dead wrong there.  Still, I’d take a proven guy first up if he were young.  


Sorry….  I was responding to your comment about making the trade at the trade deadline.   

 

So I’ll try again. 
 

Giving up a pick AND signing a big contract at the trade deadline is rarely worth it. 
 

The Buckner deal was done in March.   as was the deal that eventually brought us Quentin.   That’s the window when you get as close to 100 cents on the dollar as possible.   Trade deadline deals are where you get pennies on the dollar.  


 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewColtsFan said:


Sorry….  I was responding to your comment about making the trade at the trade deadline.   

 

So I’ll try again. 
 

Giving up a pick AND signing a big contract at the trade deadline is rarely worth it. 
 

The Buckner deal was done in March.   as was the deal that eventually brought us Quentin.   That’s the window when you get as close to 100 cents on the dollar as possible.   Trade deadline deals are where you get pennies on the dollar.  


 

 

 

In general, I agree with you.  However, when two stud (I know Chase has yet to prove himself) edge rushers become available IMHO, you take a chance and get one.  If he doesn't work out, you lost a high draft pick.  If he works out, you pay him what they're getting.

 

Then you have a D line that Gus needs to run his defense.  Pressure on the QB without the blitz.  

 

So, I'm not disagreeing with you in the greater scheme of things.  But there are exceptions to the rule.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.

we dont get pressure on third and long when gus goes prevent and has only 2 or three rush that is a big problem no matter our ranking in total sacks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dayo has been on a hot streak the last three games. I’ve repeatedly said he is underperforming to his draft slot and claim of 1st round talent by Ballard. Always thought he was a high end backup/rotational player.  I hope he keeps it up and proves me wrong. We will need both Dayo and Samson to play strong and Kwitty to stay on the field these last 6 games. Hopefully Grover isn’t rusty when he returns and Buckner stays healthy. Our playoff chances rely on this DL to keep us in games. Will be very fun to watch this December!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Imagine where this team would be if we blitzed more. 

 

If you don't want to click on the link: 

 

NFL standings ordered by total team sacks

1. Baltimore Ravens: 47
2. Buffalo Bills: 41
3. Miami Dolphins: 38
4. Dallas Cowboys: 37
5. Kansas City Chiefs: 37
6. Indianapolis Colts: 36
7. Los Angeles Chargers: 36
8. Washington Commanders: 35
9. Cleveland Browns: 34
10. San Francisco 49ers: 33
11. Minnesota Vikings: 32
12. Philadelphia Eagles: 32
13. Arizona Cardinals: 32
14. Pittsburgh Steelers: 32
15. Seattle Seahawks: 32
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: 31
17. Tennessee Titans: 29
18. Cincinnati Bengals: 28
19. Las Vegas Raiders: 28
20. New York Jets: 28
21. Green Bay Packers: 26
22. Los Angeles Rams: 25
23. New England Patriots: 24
24. Jacksonville Jaguars: 24
25. Houston Texans: 24
26. Denver Broncos: 23
27. Detroit Lions: 23
28. Atlanta Falcons: 22
29. New York Giants: 21
30. New Orleans Saints: 18
31. Carolina Panthers: 18
32. Chicago Bears: 17

 

The Colts currently have the sixth-most sacks on the season with 36. The Baltimore Ravens are comfortably at No. 1 with 47, but top three is definitely in reach for Indianapolis. Currently, the Miami Dolphins are third with 38 sacks on the year, just two more than Indianapolis.

 

As the Colts push for the playoffs, the pass rush will need to remain a factor. It’s not a coincidence that Indianapolis is riding a three-game winning streak at the same time the pass rush is dominating; the two are connected. In order to win in this league, especially late in the season, you have to be able to get after the quarterback. Indy is doing a good job of that right now

A deeper look at the stats tell a more somewhat alarming story.

Colts are only 3 sacks away from being in third place, and only 5 sacks away from being in 16th place.  We're in the middle of a large group that's Fair to Good.

However, when it comes to individual performances, our best player is tied for 23rd.

The bottom line is that we have a lot of guys that are "pretty good", but nobody who is "dangerous".  We have nobody that puts fear into the hearts of the opposition.  That will beat your best guy, regardless of scheme, regardless of down and distance, regardless of blitz package, regardless of anything.

I'm happy we're doing as well as we are.  But I'm also aware of the fact that we can improve.  We really should improve.

 

Side note:  I also can't help but see that Denico Autry, the guy we didn't want to give a big contract for, and instead let him walk in 2021 while we drafted Paye and Odeyingbo, has 8 sacks so far this year.  While Paye and Odeyingbo have 5.5 and 6.5 each.  I know this is off-topic a little bit, but if we had simply signed Autry, we could have drafted OT Darrisaw and TE Freiermuth that year, and would be a lot better off.

 

The bottom line is, we've been struggling to recover from our disastrous 2019 DE draft choices, and our poor 2021 Denico Autry choice ever since.  We've gotten "pretty good" guys, but have paid the price for it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.

I agree

 

In the offseason, in the draft, there is an awesome DT/DE that would fill this role

 

Zerhan Newton lines up at DE as well as DT  for Ill  Some mocks have him lasting until 21.

 

The guy seems to be a Aaron Donald clone.  VERY tough to block and one of the leaders in pressures in college football.  We could get the needed WR1 in round 2 (We would have to trade up a bit)

 

If this isnt the route than THIS is the year to get a FA DE, as we have our QB and LT of the future on rookie contracts

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.

We need Grover back bad. This week.  I'm sure he will be hungry to redeem himself. Watch how much better the line will play.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 9:20 AM, John Hammonds said:

A deeper look at the stats tell a more somewhat alarming story.

Colts are only 3 sacks away from being in third place, and only 5 sacks away from being in 16th place.  We're in the middle of a large group that's Fair to Good.

However, when it comes to individual performances, our best player is tied for 23rd.

The bottom line is that we have a lot of guys that are "pretty good", but nobody who is "dangerous".  We have nobody that puts fear into the hearts of the opposition.  That will beat your best guy, regardless of scheme, regardless of down and distance, regardless of blitz package, regardless of anything.

I'm happy we're doing as well as we are.  But I'm also aware of the fact that we can improve.  We really should improve.

 

Side note:  I also can't help but see that Denico Autry, the guy we didn't want to give a big contract for, and instead let him walk in 2021 while we drafted Paye and Odeyingbo, has 8 sacks so far this year.  While Paye and Odeyingbo have 5.5 and 6.5 each.  I know this is off-topic a little bit, but if we had simply signed Autry, we could have drafted OT Darrisaw and TE Freiermuth that year, and would be a lot better off.

 

The bottom line is, we've been struggling to recover from our disastrous 2019 DE draft choices, and our poor 2021 Denico Autry choice ever since.  We've gotten "pretty good" guys, but have paid the price for it.

Same people complained when Autry signed as a FA with us - camp body with no production. 
 

Then the same people complained when we didn’t re-sign him.

 

They’re the same people who complained about the Ebukam signing.

 

Can’t have it both ways. Those fans crack me up……

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 10:22 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I agree

 

In the offseason, in the draft, there is an awesome DT/DE that would fill this role

 

Zerhan Newton lines up at DE as well as DT  for Ill  Some mocks have him lasting until 21.

 

The guy seems to be a Aaron Donald clone.  VERY tough to block and one of the leaders in pressures in college football.  We could get the needed WR1 in round 2 (We would have to trade up a bit)

 

If this isnt the route than THIS is the year to get a FA DE, as we have our QB and LT of the future on rookie contracts

 

Oh, some of the DEs and DTs mocked in Round 1 are right around our draft slot. Having said that, the DT and DE that looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread, still take time to mature against OL strength. The high impact folks would still be the CBs and WRs in Round 1. We might even be able to get our DE or DT and WR with a trade down opportunity with a close to the end of 1st round playoff team, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, John Hammonds said:

A deeper look at the stats tell a more somewhat alarming story.

Colts are only 3 sacks away from being in third place, and only 5 sacks away from being in 16th place.  We're in the middle of a large group that's Fair to Good.

However, when it comes to individual performances, our best player is tied for 23rd.

The bottom line is that we have a lot of guys that are "pretty good", but nobody who is "dangerous".  We have nobody that puts fear into the hearts of the opposition.  That will beat your best guy, regardless of scheme, regardless of down and distance, regardless of blitz package, regardless of anything.

I'm happy we're doing as well as we are.  But I'm also aware of the fact that we can improve.  We really should improve.

 

Side note:  I also can't help but see that Denico Autry, the guy we didn't want to give a big contract for, and instead let him walk in 2021 while we drafted Paye and Odeyingbo, has 8 sacks so far this year.  While Paye and Odeyingbo have 5.5 and 6.5 each.  I know this is off-topic a little bit, but if we had simply signed Autry, we could have drafted OT Darrisaw and TE Freiermuth that year, and would be a lot better off.

 

The bottom line is, we've been struggling to recover from our disastrous 2019 DE draft choices, and our poor 2021 Denico Autry choice ever since.  We've gotten "pretty good" guys, but have paid the price for it.


imagine posting this and then finding out two days later we’re now 2nd in the league in sacks and 6 sacks higher than the 8th ranked 49ers… while Kwity Paye added 2 more to the season total. 
 

also imagine that front office’s have crystal balls that work as well as hindsight. Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Something I didn't see mentioned in here.

 

 

Colts are only 3 sacks away from the franchise record. 5 games to go that will most likely be obliterated. At least hopefully.

 

 

 

 

We top 50 sacks easily, I am going with 55 (13 in the next 5 games) to match Peyton's TD record. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

 

We top 50 sacks easily, I am going with 55 (13 in the next 5 games) to match Peyton's TD record. :) 

I'm going to go with 60.

 

18 sacks next 5 games. 3.6 per game

 

 

NFL record is 72, 1984 Bears.

 

 

Colts would need 31 sacks over last 5 games to break record. 6.2 per game

 

 

Not likely but we have averaged 5.7 over the last 3 games.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'm going to go with 60.

 

18 sacks next 5 games. 3.6 per game

 

 

NFL record is 72, 1984 Bears.

 

 

Colts would need 31 sacks over last 5 games to break record. 6.2 per game

 

 

Not likely but we have averaged 5.7 over the last 3 games.


Go big or go home!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Smonroe said:

I think we still need an edge rusher.  Samson is good, Kwity is good at setting the edge.   We get a lot of sacks mainly due to Buck.

 

But it sure would be nice to have a guy that defenses have to scheme for when he's out there.  It also takes their TE out of play a lot.

 

I was very disappointed we didn't go after the two Washington players.  Yes, he would have been a rental and expensive to keep.  But if he works out, it's well worth it.


I wouldn’t want sweat.  If we’re going to spend capital then go for the best.  Chase would’ve costed us picks and the chance of losing him for nothing since he made it known he wanted to test FA.  I’d rather give him a big offer in FA than to trade for him, lose picks, and best case scenario still have to spend money if he chooses to resign.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, w87r said:

I'm going to go with 60.

 

18 sacks next 5 games. 3.6 per game

 

 

NFL record is 72, 1984 Bears.

 

 

Colts would need 31 sacks over last 5 games to break record. 6.2 per game

 

 

Not likely but we have averaged 5.7 over the last 3 games.

After we let Yannick go I was really concerned on who we were going to replace his 9.5 sack output with.  I guess that worked out pretty well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, smittywerb said:


I wouldn’t want sweat.  If we’re going to spend capital then go for the best.  Chase would’ve costed us picks and the chance of losing him for nothing since he made it known he wanted to test FA.  I’d rather give him a big offer in FA than to trade for him, lose picks, and best case scenario still have to spend money if he chooses to resign.


That makes sense.  My argument would be - when does Ballard ever spend big in Free agency?

 

It’s a moot point now, but I thought if we could get him in the building and show him what a great organization it is, he may want to stay.  Of course that would also depend on his play being worth it.  
 

We’re not going to get a great pass rusher on the cheap unless Ballard hits in the draft.  So far he hasn’t.  Kwity is good, Dayo is getting better, but neither are great IMHO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

After we let Yannick go I was really concerned on who we were going to replace his 9.5 sack output with.  I guess that worked out pretty well. 

I agree

 

Yannick was the king of not supporting the run, and his sacks that he did get, didn't come when needed to win games.

 

I hold out hope that Paye will take another step in the balance of this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


That makes sense.  My argument would be - when does Ballard ever spend big in Free agency?

 

It’s a moot point now, but I thought if we could get him in the building and show him what a great organization it is, he may want to stay.  Of course that would also depend on his play being worth it.  
 

We’re not going to get a great pass rusher on the cheap unless Ballard hits in the draft.  So far he hasn’t.  Kwity is good, Dayo is getting better, but neither are great IMHO.

The success of our DL this year will most likely result in Ballard not spending to acquire an expensive FA ER.  He is getting outstanding production from the current rotation strategy.  The key was finding the players to fit the strategy.  Kwity and Dayo are on their way and the signing of Ekubam was a home run and Lewis has stayed healthy.  Rotating fresh talented fast players seems to be the way to go.  I’m not expecting an expensive ER but he could be tempted to try for a WR.  Even saying that I could see him being encouraged with the development of Downs and Pierce’s separation rate.  AR’s development would help both of those players.  So it will be an interesting offseason.  I could see him focusing on resigning our own players.  Which  there are quite a few worthy of bringing back.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:


That makes sense.  My argument would be - when does Ballard ever spend big in Free agency?

 

It’s a moot point now, but I thought if we could get him in the building and show him what a great organization it is, he may want to stay.  Of course that would also depend on his play being worth it.  
 

We’re not going to get a great pass rusher on the cheap unless Ballard hits in the draft.  So far he hasn’t.  Kwity is good, Dayo is getting better, but neither are great IMHO.

 

 Please name the great pass rusher DE's. I do believe it needs to be based on sacks/hits/hurries combined. And you don't want to totally discount tackles. (Nguake)

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, John Hammonds said:

A deeper look at the stats tell a more somewhat alarming story.

Colts are only 3 sacks away from being in third place, and only 5 sacks away from being in 16th place.  We're in the middle of a large group that's Fair to Good.

However, when it comes to individual performances, our best player is tied for 23rd.

The bottom line is that we have a lot of guys that are "pretty good", but nobody who is "dangerous".  We have nobody that puts fear into the hearts of the opposition.  That will beat your best guy, regardless of scheme, regardless of down and distance, regardless of blitz package, regardless of anything.

I'm happy we're doing as well as we are.  But I'm also aware of the fact that we can improve.  We really should improve.

 

Side note:  I also can't help but see that Denico Autry, the guy we didn't want to give a big contract for, and instead let him walk in 2021 while we drafted Paye and Odeyingbo, has 8 sacks so far this year.  While Paye and Odeyingbo have 5.5 and 6.5 each.  I know this is off-topic a little bit, but if we had simply signed Autry, we could have drafted OT Darrisaw and TE Freiermuth that year, and would be a lot better off.

 

The bottom line is, we've been struggling to recover from our disastrous 2019 DE draft choices, and our poor 2021 Denico Autry choice ever since.  We've gotten "pretty good" guys, but have paid the price for it.

 

  We have a very good LT so that is moot. Freiermuth had a vg rookie year being targeted almost 100 times. He wouldn't be doing that here.

 In 2022

 Autry  33 tackles. 7.5 sacks. 10 qb hits

Kwity.  45.                6.                10

Dayo.   31.                5.                18

  These numbers are headed for a much worse 2023 comparison.

 Fun stat

 Autry 4 missed tackles 

 K and D a combined 0

  Per pro-football reference 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...