Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard seems displeased with his role

John Waylon

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

9 tackles including a key tip on a pass.  You can say he’s not playing up to his contract but he’s not playing as bad as some want him to.  He’s getting better each week.  It would be nice if he could force or turnover or two though.

I don’t think it was conclusive that he tipped the pass unless additional video showed it outside of what’s already been posted. Also assuming you mean the INT by Blackmon.

• Like 1

He still looks awful. I’m tired of hearing about getting back into shape. If the injury is that bad, then you just have to admit he will never be the same. Having tight ends block you, getting juked by a power back, and constantly trailing the play isn’t what you want from any lb, let alone one that is payed a huge contract. 

i believe the owner is the one pushing for Leonard, Taylor, and past colts large contracts that didn’t work out. I wish he would stop thinking he is a co-gm and just be a fan! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I don’t think it was conclusive that he tipped the pass unless additional video showed it outside of what’s already been posted. Also assuming you mean the INT by Blackmon.

Leonard doesn’t look good at all , not good fit for our system trade him to bears this offseason 

We may not even have this thread if Shaq was playing MLB like it was going to be, before injuries. Franklin is playing good enough. 

Some seem to forget Shaq especially showing up in the 4th quarter when needed the most. Yea I believe he needs to get out of his own head at times. I think it is a system thing, when it comes to Shaq. 

• Like 1

It’s hard to make the arguments he’s made, but then go out and play the way he did in Germany and think that’s going to get the coaches attention. Scheme aside, he was straight up bad yesterday. He’s getting to the point where he’s a liability.

Bradley isn’t a good DC, but I can’t say I disagree with how he’s used Shaq.

• Thanks 1

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/11/12/colts-vs-patriots-unhappy-lb-shaq-leonard-struggles-in-win-in-germany/71465227007/?utm_source=indystar-dailybriefing-strada&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailybriefing-headline-stack&utm_term=hero&utm_content=pind-indianapolis-nletter65

Doyel: Who's No. 53 for the Indianapolis Colts and what did you do with Shaquille Leonard?

...The NFL’s official stat sheet from the game Sunday shows Leonard with nine tackles, second on the team.

The stat sheet doesn’t show what he did on consecutive plays on the Patriots’ first drive of the game, though, because officially he didn’t do anything. But the tape will show what it shows. And what it will show on the first play is Leonard tracking down Patriots running back Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield. Elliott has just caught a screen pass 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage, where Shaq bounces off to send Elliott on his way for a gain of 19 yards...

...Official NFL stats also show Leonard with those seven assisted tackles on Sunday. What the stat sheet doesn’t show is Leonard being consistently manhandled by a pulling offensive lineman – he was never expected to be strong enough to fight off blockers of that size, but now he’s lacking the quickness or instincts to avoid them – before joining a pile 8 or 10 yards downfield, as he did on several of his assists against New England.

The stat sheet doesn’t show Leonard being pancake-blocked in the third quarter, and Patriots running back Rhamondre Stevenson landing on him. It doesn’t show Colts defensive tackle DeForest Buckner dragging down Stevenson from behind after a gain of 9 yards a few minutes later, the pile rolling into Leonard, who gets credit for joining Buckner with an assist the way a stray rock might get credit for joining a landslide...

...The Colts still aren’t going anywhere, unless you count slipping farther away from a top 10 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, but they’re credited with winning the same game Sunday where Shaq Leonard was credited with nine tackles.

And that’s good, right?

• Like 3

That article is a little on the ridiculous side. Yes, Leonard isn't the player he used to be by a long shot, and I think the Colts will move on from him after the season(though there really isn't a viable replacement on the roster right now.) It would leave us with 2 nfl caliber linebackers(Franklin and Speed). Back to the article, what player doesn't get blocked, get out of position at times? Singling out Leonard for bad tackling is pathetic, the Colt defense as a whole has been demonstrating bad tackling all season. I've lost count of the number of times we should of had runners dropped for a loss but they slip through for gains. Doyle needs to find something else to do. This team has just as good a chance to win this division as any of the other 3 teams. And we also have already beaten the Ravens and Browns( I know, hahaha) so we probably would win the North also!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

That article is a little on the ridiculous side. Yes, Leonard isn't the player he used to be by a long shot, and I think the Colts will move on from him after the season(though there really isn't a viable replacement on the roster right now.) It would leave us with 2 nfl caliber linebackers(Franklin and Speed). Back to the article, what player doesn't get blocked, get out of position at times? Singling out Leonard for bad tackling is pathetic, the Colt defense as a whole has been demonstrating bad tackling all season. I've lost count of the number of times we should have had runners dropped for a loss but they slip through for gains. Doyle needs to find something else to do. This team has just as good a chance to win this division as any of the other 3 teams. And we also have already beaten the Ravens and Browns( I know, hahaha) so we probably would win the North also!

Couldn’t agree more.  Doyle is trying to hold onto his job like Kravitz did.  So he picks up on stupid threads like this one and runs with it.  Hoping it improves his credibility as a journalist which it doesn’t.  Ironically Leonard is the highest graded linebacker on the team playing a new position coming off surgery.  Yet he’s the new whipping boy this year.  I guess some fans here find it necessary to go after a player every year.  This year it’s Leonard.  This has gotten old fast.  Seven games to go and this is what is important to many.   They want his head.  They want him benched for Olubi or someone else.  Here we are ready to make a run.  Have some fun for the final seven games but instead it’s all about Leonard and crucifying him every game.  Like I said this is getting old fast.  Sad as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak for the 2nd half, as I didn't watch that intently. But watched the first half and focused solely on Leonard on defense... good lord he looked horrendous. I'm not sure Speed hasn't past him, let alone Franklin. HIs mobility is completely shot. Zero agility. Any play outside the tackles, good luck.

Sad really, was on pace to be a legendary colt.

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/11/12/colts-vs-patriots-unhappy-lb-shaq-leonard-struggles-in-win-in-germany/71465227007/?utm_source=indystar-dailybriefing-strada&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailybriefing-headline-stack&utm_term=hero&utm_content=pind-indianapolis-nletter65

Doyel: Who's No. 53 for the Indianapolis Colts and what did you do with Shaquille Leonard?

...The NFL’s official stat sheet from the game Sunday shows Leonard with nine tackles, second on the team.

The stat sheet doesn’t show what he did on consecutive plays on the Patriots’ first drive of the game, though, because officially he didn’t do anything. But the tape will show what it shows. And what it will show on the first play is Leonard tracking down Patriots running back Ezekiel Elliott in the backfield. Elliott has just caught a screen pass 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage, where Shaq bounces off to send Elliott on his way for a gain of 19 yards...

...Official NFL stats also show Leonard with those seven assisted tackles on Sunday. What the stat sheet doesn’t show is Leonard being consistently manhandled by a pulling offensive lineman – he was never expected to be strong enough to fight off blockers of that size, but now he’s lacking the quickness or instincts to avoid them – before joining a pile 8 or 10 yards downfield, as he did on several of his assists against New England.

The stat sheet doesn’t show Leonard being pancake-blocked in the third quarter, and Patriots running back Rhamondre Stevenson landing on him. It doesn’t show Colts defensive tackle DeForest Buckner dragging down Stevenson from behind after a gain of 9 yards a few minutes later, the pile rolling into Leonard, who gets credit for joining Buckner with an assist the way a stray rock might get credit for joining a landslide...

...The Colts still aren’t going anywhere, unless you count slipping farther away from a top 10 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, but they’re credited with winning the same game Sunday where Shaq Leonard was credited with nine tackles.

And that’s good, right?

I have said for years going back to pat angerer and Garry brackett that most of their tackles were down field. I thought it was because they were undersized. That wasn’t a very popular stance here back then at all, angerer got cut and so did brackett after signing a big contract that I said the colts shouldn’t have done. Tackle stats are meaningless!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

That article is a little on the ridiculous side. Yes, Leonard isn't the player he used to be by a long shot, and I think the Colts will move on from him after the season(though there really isn't a viable replacement on the roster right now.) It would leave us with 2 nfl caliber linebackers(Franklin and Speed). Back to the article, what player doesn't get blocked, get out of position at times? Singling out Leonard for bad tackling is pathetic, the Colt defense as a whole has been demonstrating bad tackling all season. I've lost count of the number of times we should of had runners dropped for a loss but they slip through for gains. Doyle needs to find something else to do. This team has just as good a chance to win this division as any of the other 3 teams. And we also have already beaten the Ravens and Browns( I know, hahaha) so we probably would win the North also!

There isn’t a replacement? 

5 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I have said for years going back to pat angerer and Garry brackett that most of their tackles were down field. I thought it was because they were undersized. That wasn’t a very popular stance here back then at all, angerer got cut and so did brackett after signing a big contract that I said the colts shouldn’t have done. Tackle stats are meaningless!!

Depending on which side of Leonard posters are, they will say you are a hater. But if playing fantasy football with defensive players has taught me anything, it is that I choose the drag down tacklers on a bad team whose defense is on the field a LOT. Pat Angerer fit the bill in 2011 when Painter couldn't sustain drives and the D was on the field a lot. 

Gary Brackett went undrafted for those similar reasons but he fit a role in pass coverage where his drops were at a good depth to pick off QBs because we had 2 HOF pass rushers but our interior was the one that gave good passing lanes for QBs, so the ILB had to be very good in coverage if the QB took anything more than a checkdown throw down the middle, which he was. 

As far as Leonard, I can definitely say this. If he doesn't improve significantly getting in passing lanes and running lanes stopping RB in their tracks as opposed to being a drag down tackler, Ballard should be able to find good talent in the draft that costs him less and allows us to move on. It is nothing personal, would be just any team doing business as usual.

Leonard is a stand up guy and I root for him to find his way but when it hurts the team by not getting enough play making at his LB position, the team will have to make hard choices. You see guys like C J Mosley and Quincy Williams on the Jets stop RBs on their tracks that they have to fight so hard to get a yard past that contact to make a first down "barely by a few inches", it is night and day. We don't have those kinds of LBs on our roster. A couple of yards is guaranteed too many times after contact with our LBs. Leonard is just one of those culprits, but an expensive one due to which he should let his play do the talking. It is not unreasonable to ask whatsoever. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Right now, I don't want to see McGrone, Olubi, or Stuard on the field at linebacker, they just aren't good enough. Leonard, Franklin, and Speed are the only nfl caliber linebackers on the roster. Leonard isn't anywhere near the player he used to be, but he is still better than the 3 reserves currently on the roster.

5 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Right now, I don't want to see McGrone, Olubi, or Stuard on the field at linebacker, they just aren't good enough. Leonard, Franklin, and Speed are the only nfl caliber linebackers on the roster. Leonard isn't anywhere near the player he used to be, but he is still better than the 3 reserves currently on the roster.

Ballard has had good scouting when it comes to LB draft picks, IMO - from Leonard, Franklin, Okereke, Speed, Adams etc. which is why I feel he will have no issues finding good ones in the draft again should he need to replace Leonard and stock the cupboards again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Leonard is just one of those culprits, but an expensive one due to which he should let his play do the talking. It is not unreasonable to ask whatsoever. 

I still have no problem with him saying what he said. I don't think they gave him a real target and goal to shoot for, and his playing time was all over the place for no obvious reason. Even yesterday, he got 70% of snaps, which is less than what he got against the Saints. 

Ultimately, his play is still not high level, which is what matters. Yesterday, I thought he had a pretty bad game overall, unlike the Panthers game where he was pretty good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

And that’s good, right?

He described what I’ve been saying for quite some time. He’s often been a liability this year.  Not making the splash plays?  That’s fine. Missing on the routine plays and responsibilities?  It’s happening way too much. 

• Like 2

This is so hilarious.  Fans are banging on Leonard but the coaches are increasing his snaps.  Yesterday he played 70% of the snaps.  The most so far for him according to reports after the game.  Speed played 48%.  If he was playing so bad why would coaches increase his snaps?  I would dare say that they are happy with his play and his progress coming back from surgery.  Oh and he’s grading out as the best linebacker on the team no less.  Yet many here want to reduce his snaps because he is such a huge liability and run him out of town.  Totally hilarious.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is so hilarious.  Fans are banging on Leonard but the coaches are increasing his snaps.  Yesterday he played 70% of the snaps.  The most so far for him according to reports after the game.  Speed played 48%.  If he was playing so bad why would coaches increase his snaps?  I would dare say that they are happy with his play and his progress coming back from surgery.  Oh and he’s grading out as the best linebacker on the team no less.  Yet many here want to reduce his snaps because he is such a huge liability and run him out of town.  Totally hilarious.

He is NOT a huge liability or THE biggest one, but he is ONE of the liabilities. But right now, all we have is snap count share and tackle count to pin our hopes on, because those turnovers and splash plays are nowhere to be found. Plus, he would make tackles for losses in the run game, remember? That requires a combination of instincts and ability. One or both of those are wanting right now. 

I want him to do well as much as you do but something is clearly missing. Everyone brings up Kenny Moore last year but Moore's hit was close to $7 mil. versus a $20 mil. hit from Leonard. That is a significant difference. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah he’s not playing as bad as you are making it out to be.  As I said in my post he still has work to do to get back to the player he was.  However he’s not the bum some are making him out to be.  As I said in the post game thread today was not a good day for the linebackers across the board.  However a lot of that was the Pats oline blowing the dline off the ball causing the linebackers to not be attacking downhill and just trying to get backs down.  It’s really hard for any linebacker to stop a running back that can cut and juke going full speed and you don’t know where hes going.  That’s what happened today because the Pats oline ate up the Colts dline.  

also it’s not just my eye test that tells me Shaq has played better than some want to admit.  His PFF grade (that people love to swear by) has been good and has graded as the Colts best linebacker this year.

With that said I freely admit this was not his best game but it wasn’t a great game for any of the linebackers today for the reason I said above.

Yesterday his PFF grade was 30.6, which is atrocious and about what my eyes told me (I guessed mid to low 20s). And while yesterday was probably his worst game, his play just has not been good.

He just hasn't shown the speed, reaction, fluidity, and play making ability that made him a star. Again, I hope so much for even a 75% return to form but one can only hold out hope for so long.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matabix said:

We may not even have this thread if Shaq was playing MLB like it was going to be, before injuries. Franklin is playing good enough. 

Some seem to forget Shaq especially showing up in the 4th quarter when needed the most. Yea I believe he needs to get out of his own head at times. I think it is a system thing, when it comes to Shaq. 

He showed up in the 4th ? I must have missed it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

After this season there are three more with $20M cap hits.  Criminally stupid contract to pay an ILB like they did.

Boy's gonna have his feet up for a long time to come.

We can get out the contract next season it’s only like 8m cap hit but do Ballard have the stones to cut him 

15 hours ago, Matabix said:

Naw I’m looking at him and he doesn’t want to hit and he playing to not get hurt rather than down hill and trying to hit someone 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We can get out the contract next season it’s only like 8m cap hit but do Ballard have the stones to cut him 

That's good.

Speaking of Ballard I'm not sure I want to see much more of him.  He's not terrible but he's not great either.  If the goal is finishing middle of the pack he's your huckleberry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

I see for 2024 on https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts  changing to "post Jun 1 cut" 

lowers the dead money from $8 million to $4 million

and the cap savings goes from 12 million to 16 million

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I see for 2024 on https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts  changing to "post Jun 1 cut" 

lowers the dead money from $8 million to $4 million

and the cap savings goes from 12 million to 16 million

Yeah, but it pushes the other $4m to 2025.

If we were to release him, this is most likely the scenario on Leonard.(designated June 1st cut)

I think we can probably trade him to the Bears though, if that is the direction we choose to take.

Cap relief is no different on a trade vs release.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You saw PFF graded Minshew with a good game, right?  PFF is flawed. It’s not an exact science of grading play.  Leonard may have just cried enough to get more playing time.  The general consensus is he played poorly. I would rather see Speed get more reps than Leonard.  

Im not much of a Bowen fan but I found it interesting listening to him talk about how much different  his two legs look compared to one another if you see him in person up close.  He’s most likely damaged goods that’s never going to be anywhere near the player worth that contact. 

I think some fans are very attached to Leonard and what he has done in the past. So much so, they don’t want to see what’s right there in front of them. 

20 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

That's good.

Speaking of Ballard I'm not sure I want to see much more of him.  He's not terrible but he's not great either.  If the goal is finishing middle of the pack he's your huckleberry.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I fully expected him to be let go after last season, but he’s got another chance.

I think he needs to hit on this upcoming draft. We need game changing playmakers on both sides of the ball if we want to compete with the top teams. In my opinion, he’s tied with Shane and Anthony. If they have success then the trio stays in Indy. 

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I fully expected him to be let go after last season, but he’s got another chance.

I think he needs to hit on this upcoming draft. We need game changing playmakers on both sides of the ball if we want to compete with the top teams. In my opinion, he’s tied with Shane and Anthony. If they have success then the trio stays in Indy. 

7 drafts and when has he hit on play makers?

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Taylor, Leonard, Downs, Stewart, Pittman, Lewis. 

Those guys are playmakers. You can argue Leonard is no longer one, but before his injuries he made game altering plays. 

Hopefully next season we can add Richardson to that list as well. 

He’s not the best GM, not the worst. But one thing has been made clear by Irsay: Chris will be here for years to come depending on Shane and Anthony’s success. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Jonathan Taylor

Darius Leonard

Michael Pittman

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Quinton Nelson

Braden Smith

Rock Ya-Sin

Bernard Raimann

Bobby Okereke

Josh Downs

There’s 11 for starters.   There are others where it’s too early to know either way, but your question is easy to answer. 

Do you follow the Colts much? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jonathan Taylor

Darius Leonard

Michael Pittman

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Quinton Nelson

Braden Smith

Rock Ya-Sin

Bernard Raimann

Bobby Okereke

Josh Downs

There’s 11 for starters.   There are others where it’s too early to know either way, but your question is easy to answer. 

This is a good and fair list. I do think criticism of Ballard is justified when reviewing his failure to nail a good pass rushing DE or a #1 WR or a #1 CB. Those positions, along with LT, are the critical spots where you’re just not competing without them. Raimann looks like a keeper. The other slots have yet to be filled despite many swings and misses. And the refusal to shop for a FA in anywhere but the bargain basement needs a rethinking…..because that may be where you have to go to find the missing DE. 

All that said, I believe Ballard’s future is tied to AR’s. If the kid can shine in ‘24, I suspect Ballard gets to continue to run the show. If AR proves too brittle to play in the NFL or doesn’t make significant progress, I think Ballard will be shown the door. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jonathan Taylor

Darius Leonard

Michael Pittman

DeForest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Quinton Nelson

Braden Smith

Rock Ya-Sin

Bernard Raimann

Bobby Okereke

Josh Downs

That is a play maker list?? I agree on a few but, that is pushing it. Josh Downs though LETS GO!!!