Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does SS move on from Bradley this offseason?

twfish

Does SS move on from Bradley this offseason?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bradley fired after this season?

• Yes
    • No

I understood why Irsay and Ballard wanted to hold onto Bradley going in with Shane. #1 it gave Shane the ability to focus more on the offense and put a little less on his plate. #2 Gus runs a desired scheme for Ballard. #3 The defense played really well with him initially last year. 

However we have seen some truly questionable decision by him, last year the debacle of not starting Rodgers when he was playing his butt off, this year staring Baker JR over Brents to start the season when it wasn't necessary. Too giving up massive leads, historic dating back to Minnesota and now allowing other teams to score on us basically at will. I do fully realize, and acknowledge that he's missing some key pieces however he is okay playing off zone coverage allowing experienced QB's to absolutely shred us and so slow to make adjustments. It's not just this year either, he did it last year as well. His play calling just doesn't work. 

Now that Shane is getting established and showing he is going to be a solid coach do you think he will request to bring in his own guy?   

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes I think he will bring in his own guy. Let’s remember Steichen was hired late so there wasn’t anyone really available.

Who would you replace him with. No matter  who the DC is we need more talent  on defense 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Who would you replace him with. No matter who the DC is we need more talent  on defense 

True statement. @Restinpeacesweetchloe

I am hoping the Giants clean house and we can get Don Martindale.

2 of the best college DCs I would love to have as Colts DC, would be Glenn Schumann of Georgia or Phil Parker of Iowa. The latter does more with less. Maybe we draft Cooper DeJean of Iowa and pair him up with Phil Parker of Iowa. :) 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s more then just this season though.

Everyone on the Colts staff and roster will be evaluated during exit interviews at the end of the season.  If a change needs to be made - that would be the time to look for it to happen.

Imagine how the players feel if they are constantly put into a losing posture by their scheme? While that scheme may work for a few other teams, it doesn't fit the personnel we have (and, yes, maybe the personnel we do have shouldn't be here).

Honestly, lets look back at some of the coaches the Colts have hired. I won't name names, but there are a lot of really bad coaches hired by the Colts. I wonder, why?

Yeah I've seen enough. There's been flashes of a good defense, but we've given up way to many points for his seat to be cold. Middle of the pack in points allowed and we'd probably be thinking more towards the playoffs atm.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wasn't a fan of hiring Bradley in the first place. I don't like his scheme, or his rigidity. I said before the season started that I could see Bradley being replaced after this season, especially if the defense looks rough. I will admit that Bradley showed a few surprising adjustments at times this season, like the Ravens game, and that was encouraging. But we're still at the bottom of the league in blitz percentage this season, so it's not like he's really changed.

That said, I think he should be replaced, and I still think there's a good chance that happens after this season. The fact that the defense has been banged up shouldn't let him off the hook.

Agreed with this... but I will add one wrinkle - to me it seems like Ballard wants to run a specific type of defense. So even if we replace him, chances are Ballard will hire another coach that wants to run the same type of "rush with 4, heavy zone, limit deep throws" type of DC. 

I think right now the biggest problem with our defense is our personnel rather than Bradley. I don't think many DCs will be able to do much better with that collection of CBs... but then again... it was him that partially is responsible for having those CBs. We cut a big fast talented rookie for what? For Tony Brown and Darrell Baker Jr? Come on! I understand if we had some great talent and we just didn't have spots for Rush. And he also treated Isaiah Rodgers like some scrub just to push his favorite Facyson. 

In general, I am not the biggest fan of Bradley, both scheme wise and evaluation of talent-wise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agreed with this... but I will add one wrinkle - to me it seems like Ballard wants to run a specific type of defense. So even if we replace him, chances are Ballard will hire another coach that wants to run the same type of "rush with 4, heavy zone, limit deep throws" type of DC. 

Here's the rub - the GM and all the coaches and coordinators have to be in philosophical alignment on the strategy and tactics they employ. Those strategies and tactics need to be successful at winning when matched with the players we bring on board. Winning solves a lot of small problems.

If Ballard is unilaterally "driving the bus", that's a problem, and we will never be a winning team. After 7 years under Ballard, I hate to say it but we have a problem - and it is a team problem, probably in how the brain trust of the Colts are configured. It can't be solved one piece at a time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Here's the rub - the GM and all the coaches and coordinators have to be in philosophical alignment on the strategy and tactics they employ. Those strategies and tactics need to be successful at winning when matched with the players we bring on board. Winning solves a lot of small problems.

If Ballard is unilaterally "driving the bus", that's a problem, and we will never be a winning team. After 7 years under Ballard, I hate to say it but we have a problem - and it is a team problem, probably in how the brain trust of the Colts are configured. It can't be solved one piece at a time.

"A camel is a horse designed by committee". The Colts are currently a camel trying to run in the Kentucky Derby.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think right now the biggest problem with our defense is our personnel rather than Bradley. I don't think many DCs will be able to do much better with that collection of CBs... but then again... it was him that partially is responsible for having those CBs. We cut a big fast talented rookie for what? For Tony Brown and Darrell Baker Jr? Come on! I understand if we had some great talent and we just didn't have spots for Rush. And he also treated Isaiah Rodgers like some scrub just to push his favorite Facyson. 

In general, I am not the biggest fan of Bradley, both scheme wise and evaluation of talent-wise. 

Yeah, my stance is not necessarily based on recent results. We came into the season intending to test out a bunch of young DBs, and now we're without at least three of them due to injury. The depth was always questionable at best, and now we know it's pretty bad. I don't know what the deal was with Darius Rush, but he's not contributing anywhere else so maybe he had a problem behind the scenes... Maybe he just can't handle it, but we shouldn't be in such bad shape that we're worried about a 5th round draft pick.

And yeah, put some of this on Ballard, for the state of the roster, specifically at corner. 

I'm still wondering why Ballard seems to be so closely involved on the defensive side. It's supposed to be his vision on defense, and we hire DCs that fit that vision. But he leaves the offense to the HC, and that seems to be by design; he's "hired" three difference HCs, all of them offensive guys. 

And I don't mind the baseline idea of this defensive scheme, but you have to be able to rush up front -- we're inconsistent, at best -- and you have to be sound in the back end. For as much as I don't like Bradley, we're having execution problems, not just scheme problems. Brown blew coverages, JuJu was blowing coverages (but had some playmaking ability), Baker was committing penalties... However, Bradley's staff is supposed to be known for coaching up the young guys, and they're not having success with that right now. Even if we DID like the scheme, we still have personnel and coaching problems.

Edit: Ballard also apparently came close to hiring Raheem Morris, who would have brought a different defensive philosophy. So I wonder...

• Like 1

I say let Steichen decide at seasons end, he has shown to be quite good at putting the offense together, I think if this season continues as is, he deserves to decide who will lead the defensive side of things for his staff. Ballard needs to stay in his lane and scout/draft/trade for talent to fit scheme....I am still waiting for him to be a Good GM, I don't need him trying to be a coach too. 

• Like 3

We've got nothing in the secondary because of injuries.  Yall act like we actually should be playing stellar pass D right now with backups at both corner positions.  Im sure that can't be good for the pass rush either.  Olave alone made the Saints a pretty tough cover, not to mention all the other guys they have. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hambone35 said:

I understand we need a top CB, but Gus fails at blitzes and we need 2 edge rushers. I think we was spoiled from the freezer and Mathis era. Who could we replace Gus with?

See post above of mine for my suggestions:

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm still 100% on board with a base 4-3 defense. Pretty much all the top defenses in the league run it, also never really cared for us being 3-4 in the grigs area. I hate soft zone though and the whole philosophy of giving up yardage and then choking down in the redzone. I want a much tighter press defense personally. It helps force the QB to hold on to the ball longer as he searches for the open man which should allow our rush to get home easier.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm still 100% on board with a base 4-3 defense. Pretty much all the top defenses in the league run it, also never really cared for us being 3-4 in the grigs area. I hate soft zone though and the whole philosophy of giving up yardage and then choking down in the redzone. I want a much tighter press defense personally. It helps force the QB to hold on to the ball longer as he searches for the open man which should allow our rush to get home easier.

I didn't mean changing the front. I meant changing the blitz frequency. All of Ballard's DCs have been "rush with 4" and don't blitz proponents. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

True statement. @Restinpeacesweetchloe

I am hoping the Giants clean house and we can get Don Martindale.

2 of the best college DCs I would love to have as Colts DC, would be Glenn Schumann of Georgia or Phil Parker of Iowa. The latter does more with less. Maybe we draft Cooper DeJean of Iowa and pair him up with Phil Parker of Iowa. :) 

How often are college DCs hired in the NFL? And how often are they successful? Genuinely asking. 

The problem isn’t solely Bradley - it’s also on Ballard, and firing Bradley won’t solve the Colts defensive problems. 

47 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Sometimes the defense plays ok, but I get the feeling, whenever we face a top tier QB, its a safe bet, the D will get picked apart. I honestly believe, whether they fire Bradley this year or not, the team will never be successful with Gus as D coordinator

For Ballards tenure, perhaps even longer, the Colts defense will play less than stellar QBs, and let them pick us apart. Bend but don’t break defense has been here since the Dungy days. Elite QBs can pick apart most defenses. The Colts let almost all QBs pick them apart. 

Ballard seems to place 1st round value, on 2nd round talent EVERY year. If we want a pass rusher you have to move up to get the guy, or try and get one via trade or FA. Ballard just doesn’t do those things. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I wasn't a fan of hiring Bradley in the first place. I don't like his scheme, or his rigidity. I said before the season started that I could see Bradley being replaced after this season, especially if the defense looks rough. I will admit that Bradley showed a few surprising adjustments at times this season, like the Ravens game, and that was encouraging. But we're still at the bottom of the league in blitz percentage this season, so it's not like he's really changed.

That said, I think he should be replaced, and I still think there's a good chance that happens after this season. The fact that the defense has been banged up shouldn't let him off the hook.

My only defense of Bradley in terms of blitzing is not having the secondary needed. The only blitz that ever truly seems to work is sending Kenny, and that's sparringly.

6 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

For Ballards tenure, perhaps even longer, the Colts defense will play less than stellar QBs, and let them pick us apart. Bend but don’t break defense has been here since the Dungy days. Elite QBs can pick apart most defenses. The Colts let almost all QBs pick them apart. 

Ballard seems to place 1st round value, on 2nd round talent EVERY year. If we want a pass rusher you have to move up to get the guy, or try and get one via trade or FA. Ballard just doesn’t do those things. 

Minus the Pagano/Grigson era where the defense didn’t work great either.

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

My only defense of Bradley in terms of blitzing is not having the secondary needed. The only blitz that ever truly seems to work is sending Kenny, and that's sparringly.

Yeah the Colts tried to blitz the Saints yesterday and Carr burned them over the top deep.  Like I said yesterday blitzing isn’t the magic pill some think.  In todays NFL you have to be able to get pressure with your front four because QBs eat blitzes alive like Carr did yesterday because it depends on your corners to hold up on islands and with the rules and WR talent in the NFL that’s asking a lot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

How often are college DCs hired in the NFL? And how often are they successful? Genuinely asking. 

The problem isn’t solely Bradley - it’s also on Ballard, and firing Bradley won’t solve the Colts defensive problems. 

No idea on the statistics. However, offensive football coaches are hired more (like Georgia OC for Ravens OC) and our special teams coach was former Notre Dame special teams coach. Lot of Saban's coaches have made the jump to the NFL too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah the Colts tried to blitz the Saints yesterday and Carr burned them over the top deep.  Like I said yesterday blitzing isn’t the magic pill some think.  In todays NFL you have to be able to get pressure with your front four because QBs eat blitzes alive like Carr did yesterday because it depends on your corners to hold up on islands and with the rules and WR talent in the NFL that’s asking a lot.

Also, you need those interchangeable safeties that can play like LBs in the box while having the range, and sometimes be used like a corner, like Rodney Harrison was by Belichick.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

While blitzing isn't the magic pill by itself, there's merit to it when your secondary is questionable.

When you blitz and Carr still has time to throw deep pass that's hardly a successful blitz and probably shouldn't be used as a defacto reason not to do it.

Our secondary is trash because of injuries and if we don't bring pressure QBs will have a field day picking apart our secondary.

We have the lowest blitz rate in the league and the defense has given up the most points. Of course, low blitz rate in itself is not the cause of us giving up so many points, but low blitz rate and a craptastic secondary?...