Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Saints post game reaction

GoColts8818

20 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

With this roster, what is he supposed to do?

Both are the problem.  Bradley's scheme is soft, antiquated, and doesn't work n today's NFL.  The secondary is also bad or injured.  Even with a good secondary, Bradley would still play his weak soft zones that won't work.  

5 hours ago, runthepost said:

Maybe we can just say it now.. Ballard isn’t a top 10 GM

Since the secondary seems to be the biggest target, after this loss, don’t forget we lost Isaiah Rogers, Dallas Flowers and JuJu Brents. 
  I’m not blaming Ballard for that. 

• Like 2

When you have a new coach and new QB, you may not be good, but you at least have an idea about where you're going and what the plan is.  I have no idea where this is going.  If Richardson returns and gets hurt again, it will take years to get out of this.  Better keep acquiring QBs.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Since the secondary seems to be the biggest target, after this loss, don’t forget we lost Isaiah Rogers, Dallas Flowers and JuJu Brents. 
  I’m not blaming Ballard for that. 

Ballard's had some bad luck, no doubt, but maybe a fresh start is best for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You know how you help a bad secondary. You run the ball more.

You get other teams QB.  Teams know the Colts weakness of defense is the pass and their run defense is good (really good with Grover) they are going to throw anytime they get the ball on offense.  So if the secondary can’t get better you have to get to the QB.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You get other teams QB.  Teams know the Colts weakness of defense is the pass and their run defense is good (really good with Grover) they are going to throw anytime they get the ball on offense.  So if the secondary can’t get better you have to get to the QB.  

I am talking about running the ball to give hhd other teams less chances. Use more clock.

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

Ballard's had some bad luck, no doubt, but maybe a fresh start is best for everyone involved.

I think that went out the window last year.  Irsay pretty much decided to hit the reset button last year and let Ballard pick another coach and let Ballard start over.  If he fires Ballard now Shane is on borrowed time because the first thing a new GM wants is his own coach.  Irsay knows that and wouldn’t have let Ballard hire another one if he was going to dump Ballard in a year.  

I get it everyone is frustrated right now but let’s be honest all the signals the Colts sent about this year before it started was even if it went according to plan this year was more about developing the young guys than winning.  Unfortunately with all the injuries that plan has been knocked off the rails and the Colts are not a good team but Irsay and Ballard acknowledged that before the year started.  

Irsay isn’t going to fire Ballard for the team having a down year when he expected that before the new QB got hurt and the team lost all its top corners. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am talking about running the ball to give hhd other teams less chances. Use more clock.

I know what you are saying.  That isn’t going to stop them from passing.  They are going to pass regardless of how many times they have the ball because they know it’s how you beat the Colts defense.  Until the Colts can stop it it’s what teams are going to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think that went out the window last year.  Irsay pretty much decided to hit the reset button last year and let Ballard pick another coach and let Ballard start over.  If he fires Ballard now Shane is on borrowed time because the first thing a new GM wants is his own coach.  Irsay knows that and wouldn’t have let Ballard hire another one if he was going to dump Ballard in a year.  

I get it everyone is frustrated right now but let’s be honest all the signals the Colts sent about this year before it started was even if it went according to plan this year was more about developing the young guys than winning.  Unfortunately with all the injuries that plan has been knocked off the rails and the Colts are not a good team but Irsay and Ballard acknowledged that before the year started.  

Irsay isn’t going to fire Ballard for the team having a down year when he expected that before the new QB got hurt and the team lost all its top corners. 

I know what you are saying.  That isn’t going to stop them from passing.  They are going to pass regardless of how many times they have the ball because they know it’s how you beat the Colts defense.  Until the Colts can stop it it’s what teams are going to do.

I never said that but you are giving them less chances.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I never said that but you are giving them less chances.

That doesn’t mean anything if they score on the chances they do get.  You stop a team from throwing by either getting to the QB or stopping it with your secondary.  Actually running more is just going to make them throw more because they will have less chances.  When teams talk about shortening the game by running that’s to keep high power offenses from having as many chances because they are counting on their defense to stop the chances they do get.  Until the Colts pass defense can do that they are going to keep seeing passes regardless of what the offense does.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That doesn’t mean anything if they score on the chances they do get.  You stop a team from throwing by either getting to the QB or stopping it with your secondary.  Actually running more is just going to make them throw more because they will have less chances.  When teams talk about shortening the game by running that’s to keep high power offenses from having as many chances because they are counting on their defense to stop the chances they do get.  Until the Colts pass defense can do that they are going to keep seeing passes regardless of what the offense does.

More chance more points you keep the game a little closer. 5 offensive processions would allow more points then 3. Just a example. You give them less amount of drives to keep scoreboard down. Colts have had success with this especially against chiefs.

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think this is the reason Ballard gets fired. This and last season has shown that the  team is not just missing a franchise qb. I think Irsay is probably shocked about how bad this team is doing. They have no legit pass rusher. They have no legit corners.  The safeties are suspect. The lbs are good. Absolutely no playmakers at wr postion. I like Downs but based on his size, he is not going to be  that true number 1. The Oline is playing well, but I do fear this Oline is going to start to fall apart. It has been 3 years of poor qb playing and defences constantly attacking the Oine. It has to take a physical toll on these guys? I do think they have talent at TE, but need to see more. The DE line is just meh. Everyone was talking bout how great they were early on. I said just wait till they play a balanced team and have to play both the run and the pass. It's actually kind of a rebuild as I said at the beginning of the year. I wouldn't worry about a gm coming in and wanting his own guy. Steichen has proved he belongs and I think it is a 5 year deal. That's why I beleive if Ballard is gone, SS will be getting the next GM.

6 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I could see Ballard drafting CB with the first pick. 

Ballard has never spent a first round pick on a corner.   He took Rock near the top of the 2nd, pick 34, then took JuJu at pick 44 after trading down twice from pick 35. 

With all the needs the Colts have, I don’t see CB taking a corner with the first pick. 

• Like 1

Good:

- Josh Downs continue to show he’s was one of the most slept on receivers in the draft.  7 receptions on 9 targets and averaged 10.3.  All was missing was a touchdown.  As he gets better, would like to see him on outside sometimes but if he’s going to keep killing defenses from the slot, I’m fine with that also.

- Running Game:  Taylor and Moss both had great games.  Good to see Taylor back in form.  161 yards on 23 carries is VERY impressive.  So sad that AR can’t utilize this running game because just imagine the 3 headed monster we’d have when it comes to running the ball.

- Deforest Buckner with another great game.  Got a sack and FF.  He was well worth the pick and he’s continuing to show that he’s one of the best interior D lineman in the league.  

Meh

- Zaire and Shaq:  both had double digit tackles but pass coverage was bad.  Not sure if the scheme, abilities, or both.  Good to see Shaq getting involved more I will say.  We knew it was going to take a while for him to get back into form.  Good to see he’s improving.

- MPJ:  meh game from him.  Great to get that TD, but outside of that it was meh. 8 receptions out of 13 targets for 50 yds and an average of 5 yards per catch.  If he wants to show that he’s a WR1 this isn’t how you do it.  Will take a look at film to see if he wasn’t being seen or couldn’t get open.

Bad

- Defense:  I used to be a Gus supporter despite me not being a fan of his scheme but the numbers showing otherwise, but I can’t support what has happened to this team the last 3 games.  What’s consistent about this defense is that no matter the quarterback, we make them look good and receivers have career games against us.  We couldn’t force turnovers, we couldn’t get pressure, thus we couldn’t stop the pass.  I can’t see Gus being here after this year.  We finally have an offense that can produce and score but now we can’t defend.  

- Pass defense:  I get it that we’re suffering injuries but Ballard not looking to at least sign a vet and instead going with Tony Brown and rookie Jaylon Jones was not it.  Our pass defense got smoked and has been getting smoked.  I knew going into this year our pass defense would be the weakness of the defense but with the injuries, I’d expect Ballard to at least address the issue.  Development year or not, we still have to put forth the effort and talent to win and if we can’t then at least try.  Can’t forget our safeties getting beat deep on numerous plays.  We run a cover 2 but keep getting beat deep.  Laughable

- Shane:  another game where he calls an unbalanced game on offense.  Minshew should be throwing the ball 41 times.  Yes, we did run the ball over 20 times but still, Minshew should not be throwing the ball that much.  In perspective, as a rookie HC he definitely looks promising.  For me, I just need to see him learn from his mistakes.  This is his second game where we had an unbalanced game plan so not worried right now.  As long as this doesn’t become the norm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard has never spent a first round pick on a corner.   He took Rock near the top of the 2nd, pick 34, then took JuJu at pick 44 after trading down twice from pick 35. 

With all the needs the Colts have, I don’t see CB taking a corner with the first pick. 

There is a fallacy in that argument - they have not done it before so they won’t do it now. Don’t buy it. 

If the right corner is there at 1, they would make the pick. 

The lack of depth on this team has been exposed. These CB's are sad. Colts are back to making average QB's look amazing and it's hard to watch. Grover gone is a huge hole in the middle as well. 

Leonard's play is ridiculously slow, and he's an absolute liability out there. 

Franklin is the one of the best (if not the best) LB's in the league! 

I wish they wouldn't have abandoned the run game late. Also, where were the wheel routes, passes to RB, or slants? 

You aren't going to win many games throwing 3-4 yard passes when it's 3rd and long. 

Minshew has quite a few questionable throws per game that should've been INT's. 

The refs were again 10000% trash. 

Hey.....at least our kicker is good? 

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

There is a fallacy in that argument - they have not done it before so they won’t do it now. Don’t buy it. 

If the right corner is there at 1, they would make the pick. 

Honestly…..   I’d guess there is close to a zero percent chance.   Ballard has always had a clear CB1 and a secondary corner who is not nearly as good.   

First it was Desir, then it was Rock, then it was Gilmore and now it’s Brents.   I don’t see him investing two premium picks in back to back years and down the road having to pay both premium money as well.   I just don’t see Ballard changing his approach.  

A rare disagreement for you and me.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly…..   I’d guess there is close to a zero percent chance.   Ballard has always had a clear CB1 and a secondary corner who is not nearly as good.   

First it was Desir, then it was Rock, then it was Gilmore and now it’s Brents.   I don’t see him investing two premium picks in back to back years and down the road having to pay both premium money as well.   I just don’t see Ballard changing his approach.  

A rare disagreement for you and me.  

I’ll second that. I think we should draft another corner high, but Ballard almost never doubles down on that position. He brings in 1 vet or draft pick and just rolls with whatever corners are already here. Knowing him he’ll like what he saw from Brents and will think Jones did good for a rookie, so they’ll both be the starters in 2024.

Ballard is like Grigson in that sense, where’s he’s more than likely going to roll with the guys they have in house based on them making a couple of plays and chalk the negative up to them being young. This is what he did at safety. It’s what he did last year at RG after we let Glowinski walk. He went with Pinter and Fries. He did it again this year and Fries is playing a lot better. He did this at DE too once. He rolled with all the young guys he drafted (Dayo and Paye) which eventually led to him trading for Ngaukue.

I don’t agree with it, but that is his strategy.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The lack of depth on this team has been exposed. These CB's are sad. Colts are back to making average QB's look amazing and it's hard to watch. Grover gone is a huge hole in the middle as well. 

Leonard's play is ridiculously slow, and he's an absolute liability out there. 

Franklin is the one of the best (if not the best) LB's in the league! 

I wish they wouldn't have abandoned the run game late. Also, where were the wheel routes, passes to RB, or slants? 

You aren't going to win many games throwing 3-4 yard passes when it's 3rd and long. 

Minshew has quite a few questionable throws per game that should've been INT's. 

The refs were again 10000% trash. 

Hey.....at least our kicker is good? 

Nailed it. There was no creativity in the run or pass game. 

16 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The Good

• JT and Moss - Good game by these guys. Too bad the opponents once again played the run and we fell behind with two scores.
  • Downs - He just keeps producing.
  • Pittman - I guess he had an okay game. Only 40 yards on 8 catches though.
  • Still, the offense put up 27 points.

The Bad

• Brown - Just no..
  • Franklin - The guy can't cover.
  • Defense in general - Injuries blah blah injuries... There's a general lack of star power and quality depth on this team, but it just shows on defense everytime a starter goes down.
  • Oline - Most expensive Oline in the game keeps getting pushed around.
  • Minshew - He's a backup. It shows.

I don't know, man. Watching this crap is so disheartening. I know we have injuries, but so do every team. The Saints just had, what, 7 guys out with illness during this week? They still came into our house and put up 38...

Welcome to the '80s Colts

Tony Dungy's legacy lives on. Bend, don't break defense gets you beat. The league's best defenses get after the QB with blitzes. Without Grover on the line we have almost no chance to pressure a QB rushing only four. Bradley should know that, and should have schemed differently. His philosophy makes us look like we have less talent than we actually do. He's very much like Frank Reich. He tries to fit players into his schemes instead of scheming to fit his players. Oh, and Leonard should be dealt before the deadline. Highest paid cheerleader in the league, and just like a cheerleader he's a part time employee. Not the only guy I'd deal but the best option that could yield a decent return. Others I consider that have value include Cox, Pierce, Speed, Kelly and even MPJ. We need pass rushing and pass catching weapons that impact games on a regular basis. We also need pass catchers that can block.