Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Saints post game reaction

GoColts8818

Gross. This team is boring to watch.  I was looking forward to a team that would show improvement over the year and miss the playoffs.  There's nothing worth watching now. Secondary is badly flawed. We cant stop the big pass and we can't make them either. The run game isn't reliable enough. We end up getting behind and non stop throws ensure a predictable offense that caves from pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is the kind of effort that will get Ballard fired after the season.

I hope so, but I really think he will get a pass with AR going down.  Plus we weren't expected to win many games anyway.  But I agree, the way he has built this team, especially the D, is completely backwards. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is the kind of effort that will get Ballard fired after the season.

I'll say this:  had Luck stayed, Ballard's team building method would absolutely have worked.  They would have been competing year after year.

As is, it's not working.  It's probably time to give someone else a chance.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Maybe we can just say it now.. Ballard isn’t a top 10 GM

The only part of the GM job that Ballard was ever top 10 at was drafting. He's not even that anymore. I would say bottom 10 at FA, and probably middle of the pack at trades and drafting. 

• Like 1

The good thing about those loses is that we are losing in all the most predictable ways - namely at the spots we are horribly understaffed/injured at - QB, outside corner... 

It means that IMO we have something at HC with Steichen and scheme... at least offensively. We just need better talent at certain spots. And we might already have it(but they are injured - AR, Brents, etc.) 

This roster needs work, but the areas of concern are relatively well defined. IMO this should not be a hard job for Ballard to figure out. Lets see if he does it next off-season. 

• Like 9

Just now, stitches said:

The good thing about those loses is that we are losing in all the most predictable ways - namely at the spots we are horribly understaffed/injured at - QB, outside corner... 

It means that IMO we have something at HC with Steichen and scheme... at least offensively. We just need better talent at certain spots. And we might already have it(but they are injured - AR, Brents, etc.) 

This roster needs work, but the areas of concern are relatively well defined. IMO this should not be a hard job for Ballard to figure out. Lets see if he does it next off-season. 

Funny thing about all of this… we remain the only offense to score 20 or more points every game this season

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Good

• JT and Moss - Good game by these guys. Too bad the opponents once again played the run and we fell behind with two scores.
  • Downs - He just keeps producing.
  • Pittman - I guess he had an okay game. Only 40 yards on 8 catches though.
  • Still, the offense put up 27 points.

The Bad

• Brown - Just no..
  • Franklin - The guy can't cover.
  • Defense in general - Injuries blah blah injuries... There's a general lack of star power and quality depth on this team, but it just shows on defense everytime a starter goes down.
  • Oline - Most expensive Oline in the game keeps getting pushed around.
  • Minshew - He's a backup. It shows.

I don't know, man. Watching this crap is so disheartening. I know we have injuries, but so do every team. The Saints just had, what, 7 guys out with illness during this week? They still came into our house and put up 38...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Let's hope he is not here to get the chance to figure it out!!!

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

I'll say this:  had Luck stayed, Ballard's team building method would absolutely have worked.  They would have been competing year after year.

As is, it's not working.  It's probably time to give someone else a chance.  

Yes, they would have been competing ONLY because of Luck.  He could make any GM look good.  

Just now, stitches said:

This roster needs work, but the areas of concern are relatively well defined. IMO this should not be a hard job for Ballard to figure out. Lets see if he does it next off-

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

The Good

• JT and Moss - Good game by these guys. Too bad the opponents once again played the run and we fell behind with too scores.

The Bad

• Brown - Just no..
  • Defense in general - Injuries blah blah injuries... There's a general lack of star power and quality depth on this team, but it just shows on defense everytime a starter goes down.

I don't know, man. Watching this crap is so disheartening. I know we have injuries, but so do every team. The Saints just had, what, 7 guys out with illness during this week? They still came into our house and put up 38...

Yeah, and the Saints have a terrible offensive line still very little pressure from our edges. Our pass rush sucks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Good

• JT and Moss - Good game by these guys. Too bad the opponents once again played the run and we fell behind with too scores.

The Bad

• Brown - Just no..

I have been hard on the Oline but I  will say this.  They have not had  quality starting NFL for the last 3 years. The D crowds the line and begs the qb to beat the. The problem is we haven't had a qb that can throw deep or back the D up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Funny thing about all of this… we remain the only offense to score 20 or more points every game this season

IMO this is a meaningless "stat", but the reality is that even without it, it's obvious this offense actually can move the ball and can move it even while playing Gardner Minshew at QB and even while playing against good defenses. I never feel like we are about to get shut down by any defense really. And I never feel worried about what our coach is going to call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Positives

- I love seeing JT returning to form. Along with Moss to spell him, he should be back to 100 percent by the end of the year for sure. A healthy JT with AR will be terrifying for NFL defenses going forward.

- Downs is still a very reliable slot WR and he's only in his rookie year. It'll be exciting to see how good he can get with AR going forward.

Negatives (a lot)

- We might have the worst pass D in the league on all levels. Our LBs are awful in pass coverage (and Leonard isn't creating turnovers, which is part of why he's so handsomely payed), our CB group is depleted (and wasn't very talented to begin with)and our Safeties are mediocre at best. The only light at the end of this tunnel is that the best looking players in our secondary have been the rookies, so the future at least looks somewhat bright there. Brown and Brents suck.

- Minshew is mid. We've known this. If the game becomes a shoot out or the offense needs to make a major comeback, then he's the wrong man for the job due to his lack of arm strength to stretch the field and poor pocket presence. He has been turning the ball over a ton because he's limited and being asked to do way too much these last few weeks. Still a great backup QB though

- Freeland needs Braden Smith to return. His first run as a rookie OT has been a gauntlet (Donald, Garrett, Jordan). Hopefully the exp helps him next year. I think the rest of the OL has been pretty decent though, but nothing great.

- Missing Stewart brings our run D down from elite to slightly above average.

- Bradley has way too much faith in Brown to match him up one on one with Olave. How Bradley has responded to the injuries these last few weeks has just been poor overall.

• Like 5

Our Gus Bradley defense is all about giving cushions, zone, bend-but-don’t-break and then on a crucial third and 14 we line up Brown at the line in what looks like press man vs Shaheen, who we already know is much faster. A predictable 51-yard completion and class dismissed.