Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line appreciation thread

1959Colts

17 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Didnt notice Freeland much today and thats a good thing honestly.

True and on the other hand we heard Fries name a lot today and in a good way.  Even the announcer’s were giving him compliments.  RG was the OL position we were all worried about.  So far so good on that front.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Freeland was the LT.  That particular run was up the middle between the tackles.  I think the center and guards opened that hole up.  Not sure though.

I haven’t seen the replay, just was listening to Matt Overton and that’s who he said sprung it at the time. Maybe I heard wrong

9 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Kelly/Nelson returning to Pro Bowl form is a breath of fresh air! Raimann has been the biggest surprise though! I guess Will Fries has been holding his own because I haven't heard any negativity towards him all season.

Fries has been more then golfing his own. His grades have been really high. Looks like we didn’t need a starting right guard lol.

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I haven’t seen the replay, just was listening to Matt Overton and that’s who he said sprung it at the time. Maybe I heard wrong

Watching it again.   Kelly and Nelson opened the hole,  fries got to the second level and kept the linebacker from from getting there.   Moss was never touched.  The interior of the oline put on a clinic on that play

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Kelly/Nelson returning to Pro Bowl form is a breath of fresh air! Raimann has been the biggest surprise though! I guess Will Fries has been holding his own because I haven't heard any negativity towards him all season.

Raimann hasn't played in 2 games. How has he surprised?

21 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

Ballard haters won’t give him credit for making the right call though 

Fries is playing with more strength, as expected from a 3rd year OL. Not everyone comes in NFL ready like Big Q.

That screen play, looking right, then looking left before throwing to JT, that took time and the OL coaching and play was spot on. It was amazing to watch from the entire OL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Best game the OL has had in 3 years. Good for Kelly too cause he played lights out. I’ve been very critical of him for two years but man he looked like his best today

Well, the thing is we sometimes forget players are human beings and their lives have an impact on their abilities. Kelly is a clear example of that. Hopefully his level of play continues. On a personal level, you have to give props to Ballard and the Colts for sticking with him. It definitely helps when your bosses stick with you when you are going through personal struggles. 

For the same reason, I am hoping Shaq Leonard shows us by the half way point of the season that he can start making plays too. At least for now, I am not giving up on him. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, the thing is we sometimes forget players are human beings and their lives have an impact on their abilities. Kelly is a clear example of that. Hopefully his level of play continues. On a personal level, you have to give props to Ballard and the Colts for sticking with him. It definitely helps when your bosses stick with you when you are going through personal struggles. 

For the same reason, I am hoping Shaq Leonard shows us by the half way point of the season that he can start making plays too. At least for now, I am not giving up on him. 

Ballard was right to let this new coach change some things and not be rash off what happened last season.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard was right to let this new coach change some things and not be rash off what happened last season.

Last season would have gotten more than Matt Ryan and Frank Reich sent packing, if not for reining in knee jerk reactions, kudos to Ballard and staff for that. 

Rodgers was unexpected, Gilmore they obviously had a plan for. I am seeing things we see with other good teams, w.r.t screen passes, good protection and run blocking etc., the first game of the season was not great on the run blocking side. Let us hope they can do the same on the road vs the Jaguars to keep the crowd out. We couldn't run vs the Jaguars in game 1, and if we change that, we can win the game, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

Kelly returning was such a huge boost. Getting Raimann back will be even bigger. 

Yes hopefully people will stop with the move on from Kelly nonsense.  Dude is back to playing at his pro-bowl level.  Him and the guards were opening gapping holes for Moss all day against a defense that gives up less than 3 ypc going into the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kelly is healthy for the first time since 2020. Fries has progressed quite rapidly with the science and timing with his cohorts. He is lacking in power but executing double teams with Kelly and slipping to the second level and getting contact and good angles. Good coaching with nice IQ on his part.

Fries was excellent today. 

Q was really good and Smith was fine. 

Freeland was quiet out there so that is good for a rookie 4th rounder.

Even in his first start Steichen was pulling him right Even between the G and T and he is smooth and fast to the that hole. He is a very good athlete.

His year two jump could be very interesting.

Steichen and his staff are pretty good already.

I really like the progress Freeland has made this year.

His draft stock dropped because he was considered position limited.  Right Tackle only.

But he worked hard in preseason.  And earned the primary backup job at Right Tackle.

And then had to start a preseason game for Smith, and held his own.  And earned primary backup at Both Tackles.

And then had to start a preseason game for Raimann.  And did ok.

And now he's started TWO games at Left Tackle, in relief for Raimann.  The position they said he probably couldn't play.

Totally proud of him.

• Like 2

I am optimistic about the line.. i thought Kelly played a hellava game,,, Nelson all i can say is the cream of the crop!!... With our QB status,, they ARE holding down the fort considering too totally different styles of play..  GOOD TEAM WIN...

15 hours ago, 427HR said:

I am optimistic about the line.. i thought Kelly played a hellava game,,, Nelson all i can say is the cream of the crop!!... With our QB status,, they ARE holding down the fort considering too totally different styles of play..  GOOD TEAM WIN...

that’s a sign of good coaching.  We have two different QBs with two different styles and this team doesn’t miss a beat regardless of who’s behind center.  It’s almost like training 2 different offenses