Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

11 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

What does "things are going a lot better" mean? It is not clear exactly what McAfee is referring to. Does the statement mean that JT and his agent are no longer negotiating through the media? Or that he will report to training camp? Or that the rest of the players are not distracted by the JT situation? Or something else?

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What does "things are going a lot better" mean? It is not clear exactly what McAfee is referring to. Does the statement mean that JT and his agent are no longer negotiating through the media? Or that he will report to training camp? Or that the rest of the players are not distracted by the JT situation? Or something else?

The opinion that what JT does or doesn't do distract other players is in the fans heads, not other players.  Players are worried about themselves rather than what JT is doing.  

22 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think we are getting a first. We might get a second and future conditional of some sort... That's about the max I can see. Christian McCaffrey got 2nd, 3d, 4th and future 5th, but he was already signed to a contract and he's IMO more valuable due to being one of the best passcatching RBs in the league. I think 2nd and Achane(3d) or something of the sort is about the best we can hope for.

When u trade a player u don't get what u initially paid for him. They used a 2nd to draft him. When u r trading a player it is for various reasons and the other teams know it. In this case the player wants a new contract, wants out and coming off an injury. That to me would probably translate into maybe a 4th st best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

My assumption is it means contractual and they’ll come to an agreement. 

Regardless of what some may think, we need Taylor. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When u trade a player u don't get what u initially paid for him. They used a 2nd to draft him. When u r trading a player it is for various reasons and the other teams know it. In this case the player wants a new contract, wants out and coming off an injury. That to me would probably translate into maybe a 4th st best.

It depends on the circumstances.   Like WHEN is the trade done.  Trading NIW is rarely good.   At this time of year teams are typically only offering pennies on the dollar.  

Trade at the mid-season trade deadline and you might do a little better for someone like JT.    

But trading JT in early March before the start of the new league year gets you as close to 100 cents on the dollar as you can get.   

Also, when a second rounder like JT outperforms his draft slit, that increases his value, not decreases.    

So there are many more variables in play here than you noted. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe but this 2nd rd draft pick led the league in rushing two years ago and was an MVP candidate.  He also has made all pro and is still only 24 years old.  Not your average 2nd rd pick.  The fact that it’s been reported that a number of teams are interested in pursuing him and willing to discuss a new contract as well makes me think we should get a good return for him.  I think a 4th would be a poor return for a player of his caliber.

• Like 1

I am not one of the people who thinks Taylor has super high value but I also am not one of those that seem to think he's close to worthless. Swift got traded for an early 4th on draft day and he's been considered a bust so far by many. This is with Detroit telegraphing their intent to trade him and not wanting anything to do with him. I see no possible scenario where Taylor goes for anything less unless his injury is really bad(I do NOT think it is, I think he's using it just so he won't practice while waiting for contract). And if he's worth less on the trade market I would much rather just keep him and get comp pick for him. I think people sway way too much to one extreme or the other. 

The reality is Taylor is a VERY GOOD back who's just 24 and even in this environment of diminished value for RBs I bet there will be at least a few teams that will give you a third just for 1 year rental of him, contract extension notwithstanding. And again... You don't need 30 teams to value him like that. You need one. I think if we wanted to trade him for a 3d we would have no problem finding a taker.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

I am not one of the people who thinks Taylor has super high value but I also am not one of those that seem to think he's close to worthless. Swift got traded for an early 4th on draft day and he's been considered a bust so far by many. This is with Detroit telegraphing their intent to trade him and not wanting anything to do with him. I see no possible scenario where Taylor goes for anything less unless his injury is really bad(I do NOT think it is, I think he's using it just so he won't practice while waiting for contract). And if he's worth less on the trade market I would much rather just keep him and get comp pick for him. I think people sway way too much to one extreme or the other. 

The reality is Taylor is a VERY GOOD back who's just 24 and even in this environment of diminished value for RBs I bet there will be at least a few teams that will give you a third just for 1 year rental of him, contract extension notwithstanding. And again... You don't need 30 teams to value him like that. You need one. I think if we wanted to trade him for a 3d we would have no problem finding a taker.

I don't think a lot of teams would value him as a 3 down back. He is similar to Chubb for Cleveland but that style of backs value has gone down since Chubb signed that contract.

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe but this 2nd rd draft pick led the league in rushing two years ago and was an MVP candidate.  He also has made all pro and is still only 24 years old.  Not your average 2nd rd pick.  The fact that it’s been reported that a number of teams are interested in pursuing him and willing to discuss a new contract as well makes me think we should get a good return for him.  I think a 4th would be a poor return for a player of his caliber.

Jacobs lead the league in rushing and became a pretty good pass catching back. He cannot smell a 2nd contract and he did that all last year. NFL is a what have u do for me lately league.

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

Someone has by now let his agent know there is meaningful outside interest. And we also may have thoughts of giving him some incentives for this season. Either possibility could make his ankle show some improvement. I only wish the best for JT. He has been a good one.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Also, when a second rounder like JT outperforms his draft slit, that increases his value, not decreases.    

He had one big year, then followed up with a down year.  I doubt we could get more than a second for him now if even that.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It depends on the circumstances.   Like WHEN is the trade done.  Trading NIW is rarely good.   At this time of year teams are typically only offering pennies on the dollar.  

Trade at the mid-season trade deadline and you might do a little better for someone like JT.    

But trading JT in early March before the start of the new league year gets you as close to 100 cents on the dollar as you can get.   

So there are many more variables in play here than you noted. 

He is coming off an injury and may still be injured.  He is also wanting top dollar.   i think his value is very low.  

20 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It was me. And you misunderstood me. I never count FB as fact. I stated that the debunked rumor is running rampant outside of this forum so it wasn’t really on NCF. It’s more on Holder for writing the confusing article. I was saying the general public on FB has fallen for the rumor and now they’re presenting it as fact. Not me.

I wasn't actually thinking you count on FB for facts.  I was expressing my own issues with social media in general.   The scary thing is many people count on social media for what they think is factual info.  

It's all good. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

He had one big year, then followed up with a down year.  I doubt we could get more than a second for him now if even that.

He had nearly 1200 yards as a rookie.   You give him zero credit.   

He had a great year that most RBs aren’t even capable of.   

And his third year had multiple ankle injuries and you act as if it’s his fault.   When the biggest problem was a horrible O-line and QB play.   You blame the wrong person.   

If it’s any comfort, you’re not alone in your viewpoints.   Other posters here agree with you.  I’m just not one of them — sorry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

He is coming off an injury and may still be injured.  He is also wanting top dollar.   i think his value is very low.  

His value may be low TODAY.    But it may be higher mid-season if Taylor does well.  

And it will be much higher in early March no matter what.  By then his value may be much higher than you think. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Jacobs lead the league in rushing and became a pretty good pass catching back. He cannot smell a 2nd contract and he did that all last year. NFL is a what have u do for me lately league.

I don’t know where you get your info from?

The Raiders Tagged him.   Jacob’s has yet to sign it which is why it was legal for him to leave camp when he did without penalty.     

His situation will eventually work itself out.  

On 8/4/2023 at 4:28 PM, RollerColt said:

I was going to get tickets this year, saw that they had a $40 deal for 40 years. Here I was thinking the deal was for two seats for $40, when it was that amount PER seat... 

Nope. Can't even afford the nosebleeds anymore. Couldn't afford cable TV anymore either so I cut that. I know there are "methods" to still watch games but I'm not really well versed in all of that jazz.

So I'll be researching to figure out how to watch games, or just reading the game threads on here to keep up. 

I mean..... It's about $20 for two to eat at McDonald's..... $40 for an NFL game isn't outrageous anymore.....  Within context.  It's about 10 gallons of gas....

• Like 1

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

I mean..... It's about $20 for two to eat at McDonald's..... $40 for an NFL game isn't outrageous anymore.....  Within context.  It's about 10 gallons of gas....

That’s kind of my problem though. To take my son to see the Colts it would be $80… The cost of living has gone up, while my pay has stayed the same. So I have to make sacrifices on luxuries like going to a football game so I can still afford food.

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That’s kind of my problem though. To take my son to see the Colts it would be $80… The cost of living has gone up, while my pay has stayed the same. So I have to make sacrifices on luxuries like going to a football game so I can still afford food.

Oh, I hear ya.  I haven't made it to a game in years, partly due to all the ancillary costs.... Parking, gas, etc.  Just not wanting to maneuver and make it make enough sense to go.   I was just saying relative to all the other stuff, prices of actual tickets aren't outrageous....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Oh, I hear ya.  I haven't made it to a game in years, partly due to all the ancillary costs.... Parking, gas, etc.  Just not wanting to maneuver and make it make enough sense to go.   I was just saying relative to all the other stuff, prices of actual tickets aren't outrageous....

We went to the Raiders game a couple years ago. Sat about halfway up in the corner of one end zone. Was almost $400 after tickets, parking, gas and a couple drinks and maybe a popcorn. We can afford it but I didn’t think the value of the experience matched the price and time commitment. I much prefer watching the games at home on the big screen and surround sound. It’s a much better experience at home for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We went to the Raiders game a couple years ago. Sat about halfway up in the corner of one end zone. Was almost $400 after tickets, parking, gas and a couple drinks and maybe a popcorn. We can afford it but I didn’t think the value of the experience matched the price and time commitment. I much prefer watching the games at home on the big screen and surround sound. It’s a much better experience at home for me. 

My grandson has already bought us the tickets to the Raiders game Dec 31st. Hopefully I can stay warm and do all the walking, lol

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My grandson has already bought us the tickets to the Raiders game Dec 31st. Hopefully I can stay warm and do all the walking, lol

If you park at circle center mall you can walk all the way to the stadium indoors

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know where you get your info from?

The Raiders Tagged him.   Jacob’s has yet to sign it which is why it was legal for him to leave camp when he did without penalty.     

His situation will eventually work itself out.  

Huh. I did t say he couldn't leave camp. He wants a 2nd contract and Raiders tagged him.

Huh. I did t say he couldn't leave camp. He wants a 2nd contract and Raiders tagged him.

Di you know if Jacobs was even offered a second contract before he was tagged?   No.  You jumped to a conclusion.   You said Jacob’s can’t sniff a second contract.   You make lots of assumptions. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

His value may be low TODAY.    But it may be higher mid-season if Taylor does well.  

And it will be much higher in early March no matter what.  By then his value may be much higher than you think. 

If he doesn't miss time and does well, of course his value will go up.  But it will not be anywhere he thinks it should be.    

1 hour ago, Myles said:

If he doesn't miss time and does well, of course his value will go up.  But it will not be anywhere he thinks it should be.    

Isn't he already on PUP, which means he misses few games already to start the season, and how many more games before the trade deadline? Not much chances to prove in that time span, unless he comes out of the gate having consecutive 100+ yard games, but this year's offense might not be giving him that many carries.

He's considered elite when healthy nevertheless, I think other teams would want him to prove he's healthy as much as they want to see him at his best. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Isn't he already on PUP, which means he misses few games already to start the season, and how many more games before the trade deadline? Not much chances to prove in that time span, unless he comes out of the gate having consecutive 100+ yard games, but this year's offense might not be giving him that many carries.

He's considered elite when healthy nevertheless, I think other teams would want him to prove he's healthy as much as they want to see him at his best. 

No he can come off pup at any time. I think he has to come off though before a certain date to not miss games.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No he can come off pup at any time. I think he has to come off though before a certain date to not miss games.

If not taken off PUP before season starts, minimum 4 games.

Can be taken off at any time right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I had $35.00 season tickets for years at the RCA dome during the Manning years. Parking and concessions were reasonable.  I have a 280 mile drive to and from to attend. When they moved to the Luke,  tickets went over a hundred and concessions way up too. It’s no longer worth it for the entertainment value to attend games for me. 

On 8/4/2023 at 4:28 PM, RollerColt said:

I was going to get tickets this year, saw that they had a $40 deal for 40 years. Here I was thinking the deal was for two seats for $40, when it was that amount PER seat... 

Nope. Can't even afford the nosebleeds anymore. Couldn't afford cable TV anymore either so I cut that. I know there are "methods" to still watch games but I'm not really well versed in all of that jazz.

So I'll be researching to figure out how to watch games, or just reading the game threads on here to keep up. 

You can probably get Bengals games free with an HD antenna, right?  You might get a handful of Colts games that way, in the later window or at other times.  If the Colts were good, you might get quite a few.

The cheapest legal way for you to watch Colts games would be Game Pass, but you have to watch them after the fact, and if you're watching the Bengals game you will probably see the score.  There's really no cheap and legal way to watch NFL games out of market.  Find a friend with Sunday Ticket, that's about it.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You give him zero credit.   

He hasnt done enough in 3 seasons to be acting like he is.  Being hurt last year is a good reason to not pay him now

I do give him credit, just not as much as he wants.  Hes asking for too much 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Di you know if Jacobs was even offered a second contract before he was tagged?   No.  You jumped to a conclusion.   You said Jacob’s can’t sniff a second contract.   You make lots of assumptions. 

Well I have read that they were not close on the number so one can assume that the Raiders let it to be known to Jacobs what they were willing g to offer him before it was rejected by Jacobs and his camp.

42 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He hasnt done enough in 3 seasons to be acting like he is.  Being hurt last year is a good reason to not pay him now

If I recall he has the record for best yards /carried in his first 3 season than any other RB ever. If I recall it is an average of 5 yds per carry but obviously not good enough for you!:facepalm:

• Thanks 1

If so how about the last 4-5 men Q,Shaq,Smith,Kelly re-do their contracts and sign JT. It will never happen but Irsay has been burnt with all those guys extensions and no one talks about it. Should be incentive base contracts. Pats did it with Judon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

If I recall he has the record for best yards /carried in his first 3 season than any other RB ever. If I recall it is an average of 5 yds per carry but obviously not good enough for you!:facepalm:

He has the 17th most yards after 3 seasons.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-rushing-yards-first-3-seasons#:~:text=Eric Dickerson had the most,3 seasons%2C with 5%2C147 yards.

He is tied for 2nd with 5.1 ypc over first 3 season.

Nick Chubb has the record 5.2

12th in rush TDs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Things appear to have calmed down in the last few days.   That’s good.  Neither side are making public statements.   That’s also good.    

My guess is Taylor will not be used in the pre-season games, or maybe only used a little bit.   So there’s plenty of time for things to get hopefully get better.  (Yes, I know, they could also get worse,  but I choose to be optimistic).