Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Hard to believe the Colts asked for that. One source says the Dolphins and Colts never even made any legitimate offers or counter offers. Another source claims Miami offered their second. All different reports on all aspects of this whole debacle. That above report really makes a lot of sense. The Colts "were said" to be looking for a first round pick , which is believable. Now I'm suppose to believe their price was a good RB , a monster WR and a first round pick ? Please....

It's still believable

Colts don't want to trade JT unless a team gives so much more than market value. Obviously, no team would send that and that's exactly what Colts want. 

JT got his wish and Colts got their wish as well, now onto the regular season 

11 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

JT either can’t get over a routine surgery and has a lingering ankle issue or he is lying that he’s hurt — in either case why would people be saying extend him, reward him, throw him some money?!?! I feel like we’re in bizarro world. 

Exactly. He isn't even in his contract year and he's either lying or he's injured. He's coming off his worst season....let's give him a nice big fat guaranteed contract extension! Bizarro world indeed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard lives and dies by the draft , after six seasons he drafted only one elite talent, taylor!! he is trying to keep him at dollar general pay. i hope he drafts more than one elite talent in the next 6 years and pays them.

Most times I agree with your takes, however here I will have to disagree. Ballard and the staff have drafted some fine players in past 6 years or so. Where they have fallen short is offensive elite skill talent.

Taylor so far, (hopefully Downs might be really good) is the only offensive elite skill talent that has been drafted. 

Of all of them other than Taylor, I still have high hopes on Granson. Maybe this year is the year he puts it all together. :goodluck:

Anyways, carry on sir -cheers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Most times I agree with your takes, however here I will have to disagree. Ballard and the staff have drafted some fine players in past 6 years or so. Where they have fallen short is offensive elite skill talent.

Taylor so far, (hopefully Downs might be really good) is the only offensive elite skill talent that has been drafted. 

Of all of them other than Taylor, I still have high hopes on Granson. Maybe this year is the year he puts it all together. :goodluck:

Anyways, carry on sir -cheers

Richardson is an elite offensive talent. Give him time as you did other QBs. He will shine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

The fact that James Boyd is it?  Our new "main beat reporter" for the team, isn't even fully aware of the stipulations on the massively dominant story (JT can't be at practice) and is posting about how he's noticing there's no JT at practice ...is flat embarrassing.

How many people claiming to be reporters though have actually read the entire CBA? My guess is not many.  It’s 456 pages but honestly, it’s written at an 8th grade level, not lawyer language like I expected. So anyone over the age of 15 should be able to read it just fine

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard lives and dies by the draft , after six seasons he drafted only one elite talent, taylor!! he is trying to keep him at dollar general pay. i hope he drafts more than one elite talent in the next 6 years and pays them.

Are You Crazy Starz GIF by Dublin Murders

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He has been our best player. You would be rewarding a good player by giving him some extra cash this year. It might of made him not be offended.

I don't think understand Taylor's position. He Wants a giant pile of Fully Guaranteed Cash before he steps on the field. 

Maybe when he misses 4 games and is threatened with not getting paid for the rest of the season, some sweetener could be offered to get him back on the field.

Unfortunately, we would be doing that to a guy that had been operating in bad faith. While also risking his health which would damage his future trade value. 

He needs to sit this year, suspended without pay, and we take the best offer we can get pre-draft.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Exactly. He isn't even in his contract year and he's either lying or he's injured. He's coming off his worst season....let's give him a nice big fat guaranteed contract extension! Bizarro world indeed.

I think it's a contract year for him.  Last year of his current deal.

7 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

The fact that James Boyd is it?  Our new "main beat reporter" for the team, isn't even fully aware of the stipulations on the massively dominant story (JT can't be at practice) and is posting about how he's noticing there's no JT at practice ...is flat embarrassing.

@csmopar  Is "being at practice" the same as practicing? When a player is on the PUP list, he cannot practice but he can be at practice (not practicing), as they are allowed to participate in other team activities (meetings, etc). They just can't practice. If Boyd said he did not see him "at practice", he may not have meant he did not see JT practicing. It may mean he has not seen JT around.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@csmopar  Is "being at practice" the same as practicing? When a player is on the PUP list they cannot practice but they can be at practice (not practicing), as they are allowed to participate in other team activities (meetings, etc). They just can't practice. If Boyd said he did not see him "at practice", he may not have meant he did not see JT practicing. It may mean he has not seen JT around.

Let me pull up the CBA and recheck but my understanding is that he cannot be at practice and instead is supposed to be using that time for rehab. So it’s possible that “rehab” is loosely interpreted allowing him on the sidelines during practice but I doubt that

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It's still believable

Colts don't want to trade JT unless a team gives so much more than market value. Obviously, no team would send that and that's exactly what Colts want. 

JT got his wish and Colts got their wish as well, now onto the regular season 

Here we go again... where are you getting the information "Colts don't want to trade JT unless a team gives so much more than market value. Obviously, no team would send that and that's exactly what Colts want. " The only thing I saw that I can believe was a quote from the Miami . " From the Dolphins side, GM Chris Grier was more open about the discussion with Indy, adding he had "exploratory" talks with Colts general manager Chris Ballard, but there was “no exchange of offers from either side.”  That's from the miami GM , which I think is believable. He says nothing about outrageous demands. 

Furthermore , I have really no idea of what "market value" is for a RB that cannot practice due  to a simple procedure that normally takes 3-4 weeks to heal. Anyway.. you are welcome to believe that the Colts asked for what boils down to more than 2 first round picks. I'll continue to not believe what I consider pure garbage reporting.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

But they can franchise him 2 years in a row starting next season?

Yes….   First year is a 20 percent bump over what I think is the top-10 average at the position.   Second year is a 40 percent bump.   

If I’m wrong — and I might be — someone like @w87r or @Superman will correct me.     They know this detail better than anyone.  

• Thanks 1

Worth watching the video segment... Florio and Simms lay into Taylor's playing of the injury card in his holdout

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jim-irsay-is-clearly-calling-the-shots-on-jonathan-taylor

(video clip and article)

Jim Irsay is clearly calling the shots on Jonathan Taylor: 

Mike Florio

...If there was any doubt Irsay is running the show on Taylor, that doubt was erased on Wednesday, when Ballard was pressed by reporters on the simple question of why the Colts won’t extend Taylor’s contract now.

Via Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com, Ballard kept saying, “You pay great players.” That prompted James Boyd of TheAthletic.com to ask Ballard a simple question: “Then why not pay him?”

Said Ballard, “We won four games last year. We won four games.”

Obviously, the number of wins in a season that included a bizarre Matt Ryan benching (supposedly for the rest of the year) followed by the firing of Frank Reich followed by the hiring of a woefully inexperienced and overmatched interim coach does nothing to diminish Taylor’s greatness. But Ballard was in a box, so he cited the won-loss record in lieu of resorting to candor.

The candid response would have been this: We’re not paying Taylor because the guy who writes the checks doesn’t want to...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

Here we go again... where are you getting the information "Colts don't want to trade JT unless a team gives so much more than market value. Obviously, no team would send that and that's exactly what Colts want. " The only thing I saw that I can believe was a quote from the Miami . " From the Dolphins side, GM Chris Grier was more open about the discussion with Indy, adding he had "exploratory" talks with Colts general manager Chris Ballard, but there was “no exchange of offers from either side.”  That's from the miami GM , which I think is believable. He says nothing about outrageous demands. 

Furthermore , I have really no idea of what "market value" is for a RB that cannot practice due  to a simple procedure that normally takes 3-4 weeks to heal. Anyway.. you are welcome to believe that the Colts asked for what boils down to more than 2 first round picks. I'll continue to not believe what I consider pure garbage reporting.

Other teams would offer what an injured elite RB not being ready to start the season would entail, not knowing whom to believe and not knowing whether JT would be back at his best or not. 

Colts would certainly would like to get what market value is, as if JT is healthy. Otherwise that would be dumb for them to trade him for lesser returns now.

There's that inherent disconnect between Colts and any other team, given the circumstances JT has forced everyone to deal with.

Does it make sense? 

42 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Worth watching the video segment... Florio and Simms lay into Taylor's playing of the injury card in his holdout

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jim-irsay-is-clearly-calling-the-shots-on-jonathan-taylor

(video clip and article)

Jim Irsay is clearly calling the shots on Jonathan Taylor: 

Mike Florio

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just stick this here but Zach moss has no cast watching practice today and had been throwing around footballs. 

If the offense as a whole plays the way Steichen is imagining it, IMO whoever runs for this team will have good efficiency season, as long as Richardson plays the whole year. Running QBs are a cheat code for RB's efficiency. 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

If the offense as a whole plays the way Steichen is imagining it, IMO whoever runs for this team will have good efficiency season, as long as Richardson plays the whole year. 

I think the thing many are missing is the HR ability that Taylor brings. He can get you a score on a long run in a flash that turns a game around. RB by committee can get the team good stats but just the threat of Taylor of going for 80 yards being there - you have to game plan for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the thing many are missing is the HR ability that Taylor brings. He can get you a score on a long run in a flash that turns a game around. RB by committee can get the team good stats but just the threat of Taylor of going for 80 yards being there - you have to game plan for.

Meh! This offense is built around AR's ability to run, not the RB, even if that RB is Taylor. Whoever scouts the Colts will be starting from that point, not from the RB. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Meh! This offense is built around AR's ability to run, not the RB, even if that RB is Taylor. Whoever scouts the Colts will be starting from that point, not from the RB. 

You don't think the combo of Taylor and AR wouldn't be lethal. Our Run game would be unstoppable with that. That would open up easier passes for AR as well.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's true. It is true IF Mr. Taylor's physical abilities are the same as they were in 2021. If they are not, he is no longer a home run hitter on any given play.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You don't think the combo of Taylor and AR wouldn't be lethal. Our Run game would be unstoppable with that. That would open up easier passes for AR as well.

AR's ability to run will open up easier passes for AR, not whoever is lined up next to him. Sure, JT might be more efficient and explosive than Moss for example, but in the grand scheme of things, the driver of this offense is the mobile QB. 

1 minute ago, lester said:

That's true. It is true IF Mr. Taylor's physical abilities are the same as they were in 2021. If they are not, he is no longer a home run hitter on any given play.

I have no facts about whether he is still injured. I do know that he is only 24 and the surgery he had only takes 2 months to heal. Those are facts. So like everyone else, the situation is confusing.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

AR's ability to run will open up easier passes for AR, not whoever is lined up next to him. Sure, JT might be more efficient and explosive than Moss for example, but in the grand scheme of things, the driver of this offense is the mobile QB. 

I get what you are saying but to me Taylor makes his job easier. I want AR to run because he can get a lot of yards when doing so, but not much running because I don't want him getting injured like Luck and Lamar have been. Allen is heading down that same path taking hits. I want to see AR pass the majority of the time with like 4 or 5 timely runs in there for possible big gains.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get what you are saying but to me Taylor makes his job easier. I want AR to run because he can get a lot of yards when doing so, but not much running because I don't want him getting injured like Luck and Lamar have been. Allen is heading down that same path taking hits. I want to see AR pass the majority of the time with like 4 or 5 timely runs in there for possible big gains.

Eventually that's where he will end up if his development progresses the way it should. But right now the Colts need him to run for the good of this offense and for the good of his development as a passer too... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Eventually that's where he will end up if his development progresses the way it should. But right now the Colts need him to run for the good of this offense and for the good of his development as a passer too... 

It is going to be exciting either way. I am glad we finally got our new young QB, time to roll. 

• Like 3

I think we will be in good shape with Moss, Hull, and Jackson with AR. They are all tough runners. AR is going to get his share of explosive runs every game. The combination should pretty good. You'd rather have access to Taylor, but I think they will do good enough to help AR move the chains.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we will be in good shape with Moss, Hull, and Jackson with AR. They are all tough runners. AR is going to get his share of explosive runs every game. The combination should pretty good. You'd rather have access to Taylor, but I think they will do good enough to help AR move the chains.

It’s really the only choice Shane has for the time being. Hate to put everything on the rookie but Anthony will need to make some plays to open up the running lanes for his backs. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   First year is a 20 percent bump over what I think is the top-10 average at the position.   Second year is a 40 percent bump.   

If I’m wrong — and I might be — someone like @w87r or @Superman will correct me.     They know this detail better than anyone.  

If the tag is less than the players prior season's salary, the players 1st tag cap hit would be 120% of prior seasons salary.

If tag is more, player just gets normal tag cap hit.

2nd tag is 120% more than 1st tag cap hit

3rd tag  is QB tag amount or 120% more than top 5 players at position , or 144% more than the 2nd tag(whichever is higher, most likely QB tag)

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It’s really the only choice Shane has for the time being. Hate to put everything on the rookie but Anthony will need to make some plays to open up the running lanes for his backs. 

I did see us use the screen a bit in pre-season.  That should help keep the rush honest if they can use it correctly.

Just another option for the rook to fall back on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bingo then once he passes that physical he is stuck.

"IF" he passed the physical - the Colts would receive the agreed-upon draft compensation - and - JT would be a member of the new team for the year remaining on his contract.

29 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

honestly, this may be a blessing.  If AR could survive and improve while things aren’t good, he’ll be great when we have everything in order.  Kind of the opposite of what happened to Jalen hurts lol

• Like 1