Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Their actions are showing that they don’t think he’s that valuable. Or rather they don’t think he’s valuable enough to pay whatever his asking price is. It’s not only the Colts as the RB contract thing is league wide, but they’ve made it clear through their actions where they stand on the debate. They value him, just not at his number.

Huh.  Taylor is already on a contract.   Colts position is that he should honor it and they'll discuss it after he has shown he is healthy.

Regardless of how much Colts value him, why should the Colts pay someone $12m that they already have on contract for $4m...especially when the player is still "injured"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I have listened to Ballard describing the contract negotiating process as being handled by his exceptional Capologist. 

They have their long term business model and their firm values.

Something we can be certain Irsay, Ballard, our HC have a very good understanding of what our Capolgist lays out for them.

Steichen has proven he does not need, nor can his 12th man offensive system afford, a lot of $$ spent at RB. Not if your ambition is to win the Conference Championship, and more.

Taylor and his team surely were not surprised by our adamacy for a physical, and that their refusal would end any thought of negotiation.

Indeed they set us up for a "walkoff out". I would like to believe they understood Steichen's system wouldn't pay Taylor, so getting traded was a must for his financial ambitions. 

Now he saves his body, and hopefully his ankle is healthy when his new team is allowed to give it a lookover. I think it would be wise for him to sit out the season, get as close to 100% as he can, and not show up next spring for duty. I believe doing that would most likely get him moved and get him as much Fully Guaranteed $$ as the market will bear..

So do you think his stance is more about believing he won't be valued in Steichen's system, or more about concern over his ankle? Because you're offering both reasons here.

13 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Jim is just trying to say that no one is more important than the sport. He just phrased it badly.

Drugs are a hell of a thing. And he didnt write that down, he spoke it off the cuff.

You're right. That was from an interview. I was thinking it was from one of Jim's tweets. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is laughable. The Packers already have a good RB room, and it's costing them about $10m this season. What kind of offer would they have realistically made for Taylor?

If the Packers really were the mystery second team in the running, then it really shows just how unwilling other teams were to engage. And it again shows that this was primarily about Taylor and his agent trying to force a trade to the Dolphins. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think this is a drastic misinterpretation of the Colts actions. They've said repeatedly that they value him and want to keep him, and that's in the face of the present RB value trend in the NFL. 

What has held the Colts back from even offering a contract to Taylor, at any number, is primarily the fact that he won't show proof that he's healthy.

So far, we have no indication that Taylor would be asking for more than the Colts would be willing to pay. There have only been whispers of rumors regarding his contract expectations, and those rumors have been all over the place.

I’m pulling at straws here, but I would think that if he’s healthy but won’t “show” them, it’s because he doesn’t want to play (even if he’s healthy) on his current contract. If he plays any length of games on his current contract and gets injured, he’ll make only $4 million.

Also when he’s been healthy he vastly outplays most RBs in the league, but gets payed less. He rushed for 861 yards last year while battling an ankle injury. He still put up 4.5 YPC while the OL and QB play were horrible and was 139 yards short of going over 1,000 yards again, despite only playing 11 games. Given that, it wouldn’t be in his best interest if he is healthy to play without a new contract.

But again, that’s if it really is all just a matter of health. I still think it’s about money. It always is. It’s not as if he had some type of crazy ankle injury.

With that being said, do Colts fans need to be worried about Taylor’s ankle injury as well? In a word, no.

Taylor underwent an arthroscopic debridement, which is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure to remove small amounts of broken cartilage and tissue in an attempt to reduce pain and improve movement. The surgery was successful, and Taylor was able to go home the same day. No structural damage was found on his right ankle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/jonathan-taylor-injury-ankle-surgery-colts

That was in February. It’s now August. Unless something happened outside of football (like Luck and the snowboarding thing), it’s highly unlikely he isn’t healthy.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is laughable. The Packers already have a good RB room, and it's costing them about $10m this season. What kind of offer would they have realistically made for Taylor?

If the Packers really were the mystery second team in the running, then it really shows just how unwilling other teams were to engage. And it again shows that this was primarily about Taylor and his agent trying to force a trade to the Dolphins. 

If that's the case, I'm glad Ballard didn't budge and called their bluff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Huh.  Taylor is already on a contract.   Colts position is that he should honor it and they'll discuss it after he has shown he is healthy.

Why should you pay someone $12m that you already have on contract for $4m...especially when they are still "injured"

I don't think they should pay Taylor $12 million at this time. But given the contracts some of Taylor's teammates have gotten under a cloud of injury concerns, plus the new kicker making more than Taylor, I can understand him feeling undervalued. I wonder if this situation couldn't have been handled differently so that the differences wouldn't feel so irreconcilable at this point. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe AJ Dillion lol

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We need a Colt’s reporter to ask the tough questions today!! The Question behind the Question. What a great opportunity  for a courageous reporter to have their moment!! Who will it be??? 

They'll make it up when they get there and ask the first thing that pops into their heads.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If Holder is surprised by the Packers, there was another NFC team involved.  On Kevin's show, he said he knew who the second team was, an NFC team, but couldn't say.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m pulling at straws here, but I would think that if he’s healthy but won’t “show” them, it’s because he doesn’t want to play (even if he’s healthy) on his current contract. If he plays any length of games on his current contract and gets injured, he’ll make only $4 million.

Also when he’s been healthy he vastly outplays most RBs in the league, but gets payed less. He rushed for 861 yards last year while battling an ankle injury. He still put up 4.5 YPC while the OL and QB play were horrible and was 139 yards short of going over 1,000 yards again, despite only playing 11 games. Given that, it wouldn’t be in his best interest if he is healthy to play without a new contract.

But again, that’s if it really is all just a matter of health. I still think it’s about money. It always is. It’s not as if he had some type of crazy ankle injury.

With that being said, do Colts fans need to be worried about Taylor’s ankle injury as well? In a word, no.

Taylor underwent an arthroscopic debridement, which is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure to remove small amounts of broken cartilage and tissue in an attempt to reduce pain and improve movement. The surgery was successful, and Taylor was able to go home the same day. No structural damage was found on his right ankle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/jonathan-taylor-injury-ankle-surgery-colts

That was in February. It’s now August. Unless something happened outside of football (like Luck and the snowboarding thing), it’s highly unlikely he isn’t healthy.

I'll start by mentioning that there is at least the possibility that Taylor knows his ankle is still a problem, and is hiding it. I think that's probably the least likely scenario, but the way he and his agent have played this thing has caused me to wonder about their intentions.

Moving past that, I mostly agree that this is about him playing his hand to get a new contract. But do you think it's good practice for the Colts to offer a new contract when he can't/won't pass a physical and give evidence that he's healthy?

It's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to play without a new contract. But he can pretty quickly be in violation of the terms of his present contract if he doesn't start providing the services for which he's being paid. I don't think the Colts would do it, but he can be suspended for refusing to take a physical, and that's when it gets really ugly. Or they can just put him on IR, reduce his salary, and his contract tolls to 2024.

He's played his hand. It's a losing hand, because he's under contract. And now he has to bet that the Colts will be good sports and not drop the hammer on him, and that's a serious gamble given the circumstances.

Either way, I disagree with the characterization of the Colts actions and/or comments being at odds with their rumored trade expectations. In fact, I think expecting a first rounder (or representative value) speaks to the fact that they do value him. But he has to cooperate, at least a little.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also why would teams (new report from ESPN saying the Packers tried as well) be trying to trade for a RB that Isn’t healthy and would need a new contract?

You have to pass a physical before a trade goes through. 

16 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We need a Colt’s reporter to ask the tough questions today!! The Question behind the Question. What a great opportunity  for a courageous reporter to have their moment!! Who will it be??? 

What do you want them to ask?

Here are my suggestions:

1) Were you surprised that Taylor didn't pass his physical at the start of camp? 

2) Why can't he practice 7-8 months after a routine procedure that has a 4-6 week recovery?

3) What would you have wanted in a trade?

4) Have the Colts made any contract offers to Taylor?

5) Will the Colts consider offering a new contract if Taylor plays well in the first half of the season?

6 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Good, you want a player of Taylor's caliber, you'd have to give up something of high value.

Seriously, what's the point of negotiations if you aren't allowed to ask for adequate compensation?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I don't think they should pay Taylor $12 million at this time. But given the contracts some of Taylor's teammates have gotten under a cloud of injury concerns, plus the new kicker making more than Taylor, I can understand him feeling undervalued. I wonder if this situation couldn't have been handled differently so that the differences wouldn't feel so irreconcilable at this point. 

And many say the colts made a mistake extending players that were dealing with injuries.  Keep making the same mistake doesn't make much sense

Other than Irsay's comments, Colts have done pretty much done what I would have done.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Seriously, what's the point of negotiations if you aren't allowed to ask for adequate compensation?

:)

I think that Taylor and his agent were clearly gambling on the Colts would become desperate to just get something as Taylor made it clear that he would not play for the Colts, no matter what.

Happy that Ballard wasn’t bullied into accepting that. I was about to write that Ballard called their bluff, but I’m not sure there is any bluff involved actually. I would be highly surprised if Taylor decides to play in four weeks after all. Mentally speaking, he is gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-packers-were-in-the-hunt-for-jonathan-taylor

Report: Packers were in the hunt for Jonathan Taylor

...The fact that the Packers were even in the conversation is surprising. They have Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon. Would one of them have been shipped to the Colts for Taylor? Presumably, yes.

The Packers could still get back into the conversation, between now and October 31, when the window closes on any and all potential trades for the 2023 season...

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agreed. I don't buy that at all. Jones is a complete back.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/29/indianapolis-colts-jonathan-taylor-trade-suspension-consider-hold-in/?itm_medium=recirc&itm_source=taboola&itm_campaign=internal&itm_content=MobileBelowArticleFeed-SMG

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To me this isn't a wild ask. Clearly the Colts understand that our WR room is putrid, so at least I'm pleased to find out that they asked for a great need for this team. Gives me hope that in the upcoming years this position NOW will start to finally be addressed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Indeee said:

To me this isn't a wild ask. Clearly the Colts understand that our WR room is putrid, so at least I'm pleased to find out that they asked for a great need for this team. Gives me hope that in the upcoming years this position NOW will start to finally be addressed. 

If that was a wild ask then it means he doesn't agree with Taylor when it comes to the value of RBs.

Waddle is the same age as Taylor, has injury concerns like Taylor and is arguably lower on the list of WRs compared to Taylor on the list of RBs.

So obviously they think WRs hold a higher value than RBs.  Sorry, Taylor.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

:)

I think that Taylor and his agent were clearly gambling on the Colts would become desperate to just get something as Taylor made it clear that he would not play for the Colts, no matter what.

Happy that Ballard wasn’t bullied into accepting that. I was about to write that Ballard called their bluff, but I’m not sure there is any bluff involved actually. I would be highly surprised if Taylor decides to play in four weeks after all. Mentally speaking, he is gone.

Waddle for Taylor and a conditional 3rd (becomes a 2nd if Waddle hits certain milestones) doesn't sound crazy to me. 

I'm still hoping that everything Taylor has done was in an attempt to maximize the tiny bit of leverage he had, and now that he didn't get his way, he'll get on board. But you might be right.

• Like 2

Imagine any other profession where you lie about an injury and then don't work what you were contracted to work. You'd be fired... 

Sorry I just don't have any sympathy at all for this dude. I did at the beginning of it all because of the whole individual vs. the large corporation, but as a teacher in Indiana (where it's illegal to go on strike) I'm sitting here after a student took a swing at me and others have cursed me out and wondering if I should get out there and train and suit up for the Colts. 

Hell let's all do it! All the nurses, military professionals, police officers and firefighters... Let's all join an NFL team and then hold out for more money. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

What do you want them to ask?

Here are my suggestions:

1) Were you surprised that Taylor didn't pass his physical at the start of camp? 

2) Why can't he practice 7-8 months after a routine procedure that has a 4-6 week recovery?

3) What would you have wanted in a trade?

4) Have the Colts made any contract offers to Taylor?

5) Will the Colts consider offering a new contract if Taylor plays well in the first half of the season?

You nailed them all! 

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Moving past that, I mostly agree that this is about him playing his hand to get a new contract. But do you think it's good practice for the Colts to offer a new contract when he can't/won't pass a physical and give evidence that he's healthy?

Yes because it’s Taylor. He’s been a great Colts up until this offseason and it’s a minor injury as far as we know. If it was Pittman in the same situation I’d say no. But I’d say it’s worth the gamble for the best offensive player this team has had since Luck.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's pretty obvious that he doesn't want to play without a new contract. But he can pretty quickly be in violation of the terms of his present contract if he doesn't start providing the services for which he's being paid. I don't think the Colts would do it, but he can be suspended for refusing to take a physical, and that's when it gets really ugly. Or they can just put him on IR, reduce his salary, and his contract tolls to 2024.

He's played his hand. It's a losing hand, because he's under contract. And now he has to bet that the Colts will be good sports and not drop the hammer on him, and that's a serious gamble given the circumstances.

I also did read the article where he could be suspended, which would result in a loss of money for him, but would probably play right into his hand.

Him and his agent definitely played this wrong as well. That I can agree on. His agent should’ve tried to get him a 1 year (fully guaranteed)prove it deal  like what Barkley and Jacobs got. That way if he’s healthy and performs you can extend him after the season is over. Or if he gets injured again, JT gets let’s say 12 million, but it’s only for this season and you can draft another RB in 2024.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Apparently the Packers were the other team. Aaron Jones and 3rd? Might consider it.

Why would Colts want a RB as old as A Jones at this stage. Colts aren't competing for anything this year. Needs to be some combination if young players and/or high draft picks.

Just now, BProland85 said:

How is that so wild? Both are young playmakers and Taylor is arguably top 3 at his position. 

He's just backtracking now. They were all on Twitter up until 4PM yesterday claiming the Dolphins were "close to a deal". And now that they've been proven wrong they're trying to save face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Irsay is not taking a shot at Taylor lol.

He's stating a fact. It may seem harsh and overly simple, but it's true.

OF COURSE they would be missed, but the league moves on. Teams will find new guys to carry the load. It is what it is. Don't make it into something it's not.

What it is is terribly insulting. Might also speak to how Taylor feels valued by the Colts. Whether we agree with how Taylor has handled all this or the Colts…it was a horrible comment and that is just publicly what Irsay has said. Who knows what was said privately…but if he is that insensitive in public…we’ll make that what you will. Taylor now feels unwelcome, undervalued, and offended by the Colts. So he demanded a trade. Lots of issues on both sides of this thing. You don’t hear the Chiefs owner coming out and saying if Chris Jones is out of the league tomorrow no one will miss him…he is doing the same thing holding out.