Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I’m not mistaken, you’re in your mid-30’s.   I think that’s a very cynical viewpoint to have for someone so young.  

Jeff Saturday may not be a Hall of Fame player, but by all accounts he’s a Hall of Fame human being.   So I don’t see him doing any of the cold calculated things you think he might have done.    He’s a players coach.   He looked after his players first, last, always.  

I don’t think he’d risk the career of the most important player on the offense for some personal gain.   That’s a pretty stunning perspective to hold. 

Im genuinely sorry you’d think those things of Saturday. 

I don't think any less of him as a human being. I think Saturday knew his shortcomings as a coach. He knew that he had no college or pro experience coaching entering those 8 games. He's not a Shane Steichen where he can do an RB by committee and succeed. He didn't have Richardson and Minshew at the QB position. There were lots of injuries. In all honesty, Saturday was set up to fail (regardless of his experience). I don't see Taylor lying here, as the timeline fits where his injury could have got worse from being on the field towards the end of the year, and that coincides with Saturday trying to earn a position as a HC.

This sort of thing was common back in the day. People played through concussions, people played when they were hurt. Coaches did what it takes to win. In all honesty, Saturday was never getting this chance again unless he worked years to climb the ladder in the college ranks and the pro ranks. He was a HS coach. Once you look at it from that perspective, and see what a disadvantage he was at, and how desperate he was to get that job (he wanted the job for the team he played for as a player, and he's an Irsay guy).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think any less of him as a human being. I think Saturday knew his shortcomings as a coach. He knew that he had no college or pro experience coaching entering those 8 games. He's not a Shane Steichen where he can do an RB by committee and succeed. He didn't have Richardson and Minshew at the QB position. There were lots of injuries. In all honesty, Saturday was set up to fail (regardless of his experience). I don't see Taylor lying here, as the timeline fits where his injury could have got worse from being on the field towards the end of the year, and that coincides with Saturday trying to earn a position as a HC.

This sort of thing was common back in the day. People played through concussions, people played when they were hurt. Coaches did what it takes to win. In all honesty, Saturday was never getting this chance again unless he worked years to climb the ladder in the college ranks and the pro ranks. He was a HS coach. Once you look at it from that perspective, and see what a disadvantage he was at, and how desperate he was to get that job (he wanted the job for the team he played for as a player, and he's an Irsay guy).

If true, it shows Saturday is pretty selfish and has no business being a coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I’m not mistaken, you’re in your mid-30’s.   I think that’s a very cynical viewpoint to have for someone so young.  

Jeff Saturday may not be a Hall of Fame player, but by all accounts he’s a Hall of Fame human being.   So I don’t see him doing any of the cold calculated things you think he might have done.    He’s a players coach.   He looked after his players first, last, always.  

I don’t think he’d risk the career of the most important player on the offense for some personal gain.   That’s a pretty stunning perspective to hold. 

Im genuinely sorry you’d think those things of Saturday. 

Saturday is as high character as one will see.

I don’t believe for a moment that Irsay was foremost asking Jeff to come in to "Audition" to be his next HC.

Jeff came in to end the malaise and sloppiness that had come to permeate Irsays (Business) Colts under Frank's worn out leadership.

To reinvigorate the troops, put his touch to our o-line woes, and I'm sure to evaluate the character and talent of the roster from the inside.

With no QB, our o-line, no Leonard, missing our two top offensive minds, how LAUGHABLE to consider Taylor needing to be on the field to help us win.

We were sucking (like playing Painter) for our next QB.

Every player on the field was playing banged up. Why?

28 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Saturday is as high character as one will see.

I don’t believe for a moment that Irsay was foremost asking Jeff to come in to "Audition" to be his next HC.

Jeff came in to end the malaise and sloppiness that had come to permeate Irsays (Business) Colts under Frank's worn out leadership.

To reinvigorate the troops, put his touch to our o-line woes, and I'm sure to evaluate the character and talent of the roster from the inside.

With no QB, our o-line, no Leonard, missing our two top offensive minds, how LAUGHABLE to consider Taylor needing to be on the field to help us win.

We were sucking (like playing Painter) for our next QB.

Every player on the field was playing banged up. Why?

That there was malaise and slopppyness under Frank Reich was also a convenient narrative.

Same will be said of Steichen if he doesn't bring the utmost success and when he struggles to hold on to the team and job years later.

That doesn't mean it's true. The main cause of failure under Reich was clearly the QB carousel and not being able to have a stable offensive leadership on the field, especially when every season starts with a new QB audition.

All that doesn't mean there was malaise. Slopppyness was obviously the result when the QB play is not good. And team loses games, and loses play-off chances like it did with Wentz.

Irsay just didn't like it going by same repetition every year with Reich, and fired him rightly. He then brought Saturday to get the season completed and may have asked the opinion of Saturday on how he'd assess the team, as Irsay trusts his word.

We can say all this without bad mouthing the previous head coach. 

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

That’s interesting you thought Ballard was being evasive during the presser, I thought he was straight forward and even blunt at some points watching it. 

Im not trying to be clever, but I think it’s entirely possible to be both evasive and blunt at the same press conference.   It depends on the moment and what is being asked.  

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Has Taylor actually alleged this or is this just speculation? It sounds like Taylor retrofitting an excuse after his dumb strategy didn’t work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

That’s interesting you thought Ballard was being evasive during the presser, I thought he was straight forward and even blunt at some points watching it. 

Evasive in answering why saying you pay good players....JT is good player...and when asked why didnt you pay him then, his response "we won 4 games" .... IF that is straight forward then he is saying we only won 4 games BEACUSE of JT. It was more like our OL sucked and we had a noodle arm statue chucking the rock in Matt Ryan....firing everyone but the OL coach, having inexperienced coaches being the O-coordinator and hiring a TV analyst with no coaching experience take over the team .... none of those things contributed if he is being straight forward....only JT Thats what I mean by being evasive. We all know that all of those things contributed to winning 4 games and only JT playing hurt (allegedly) is the only contribution JT made to that pile of mess.....

20 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Evasive in answering why saying you pay good players....JT is good player...and when asked why didnt you pay him then, his response "we won 4 games" .... IF that is straight forward then he is saying we only won 4 games BEACUSE of JT. It was more like our OL sucked and we had a noodle arm statue chucking the rock in Matt Ryan....firing everyone but the OL coach, having inexperienced coaches being the O-coordinator and hiring a TV analyst with no coaching experience take over the team .... none of those things contributed if he is being straight forward....only JT Thats what I mean by being evasive. We all know that all of those things contributed to winning 4 games and only JT playing hurt (allegedly) is the only contribution JT made to that pile of mess.....

We are going to have a lot of free agents at the end of the season. We haven’t extended any of them. It’s time to pause before handing out money and reacces everything with a new coach.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think lineman have been making more than running backs for quite some time.  

Offensive tackles are typically among the highest paid positions in football.  Running backs less so.    I don’t think this is new.  

Depends on how far you go back in history.

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Has Taylor actually alleged this or is this just speculation? It sounds like Taylor retrofitting an excuse after his dumb strategy didn’t work. 

I believe Taylor alleged this. Whether people believe him or not is another is another issue. Even though he's completely in the wrong with the contract dispute, I do believe him here based on Saturdays lack of experience as a coach, and what he had to gain if we won in the 2nd half of the season last year. The timing of the injury and the severity of it also match up as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe Taylor alleged this. Whether people believe him or not is another is another issue. Even though he's completely in the wrong with the contract dispute, I do believe him here based on Saturdays lack of experience as a coach, and what he had to gain if we won in the 2nd half of the season last year. The timing of the injury and the severity of it also match up as well. 

Why would he insist JT play and not Leonard?

Why are we just now hearing this?

Why has no other player corroborated this and instead said nothing but great things about Jeff?

The answer to all three can easily be explained by JT showing his true character and attacking someone who was at one point the head of the NFLPA. I find it very hard to believe Jeff forced him to play hurt and didn’t err on the side of caution.

Its gross.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is the question, IMO. 

Especially because this is what Taylor was saying about Jeff Saturday in January. 

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/nfl/colts/2023/01/09/colts-veteran-players-support-jeff-saturday/11019297002/

He specifically mentioned looking out for the players.

So he’s a liar. On what exactly is the question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Why would he insist JT play and not Leonard?

Why are we just now hearing this?

Why has no other player corroborated this and instead said nothing but great things about Jeff?

The answer to all three can easily be explained by JT showing his true character and attacking someone who was at one point the head of the NFLPA. I find it very hard to believe Jeff forced him to play hurt and didn’t err on the side of caution.

Its gross.

I don't know why he would insist that JT play and Leonard doesn't. I'm assuming it would be because Franklin, Okereke, and Adams were doing a good enough job.

I would guess that Taylor is just saying "screw it", and releasing dirty laundry that would normally be kept in-house. There may be a possibility that the Colts know about this and didn't release it either.

Other players are still in good graces with the Colts organization. They have good relationships with Irsay, Ballard and possibly Saturday (I would assume). Taylor may have genuinely had a poor experience with Saturday, and is now using it as ammo to attack the Colts as an organization.

JT probably just doesn't care anymore tbh. He's done with us and is waiting to play somewhere else. He's willing to take down anyone he can on the way out.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't know why he would insist that JT play and Leonard doesn't. I'm assuming it would be because Franklin, Okereke, and Adams were doing a good enough job.

I would guess that Taylor is just saying "screw it", and releasing dirty laundry that would normally be kept in-house. There may be a possibility that the Colts know about this and didn't release it either.

Other players are still in good graces with the Colts organization. They have good relationships with Irsay, Ballard and possibly Saturday (I would assume). Taylor may have genuinely had a poor experience with Saturday, and is now using it as ammo to attack the Colts as an organization.

JT probably just doesn't care anymore tbh. He's done with us and is waiting to play somewhere else. He's willing to take down anyone he can on the way out.

Check the video Supes posted. He specifically mentioned how Saturday takes care of the players. 

Clearly he’s capable of lying. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Check the video Supes posted. He specifically mentioned how Saturday takes care of the players. 

Clearly he’s capable of lying. 

Yeah, that's towards the end of last season. So he was either lying there, or he decided to bring up his injury as a way to bash Saturday because it turned out more serious than he thought, and this was a way to pass blame onto him with the whole situation going on.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, that's towards the end of last season. So he was either lying there, or he decided to bring up his injury as a way to bash Saturday because it turned out more serious than he thought, and this was a way to pass blame onto him with the whole situation going on.

Possible. 

Or he’s trying to keep the Colts Org hate going (which has been their main tactic) at the expense of the one person who literally led the NFLPA and has demonstrated his character on many more occasions than JT has. 

I’m not trying to impugn you, but I just have a hard time believing someone who months ago said he was going to play out his contract but now isn’t. Especially when he’s now disparaging one of the more high class people the org has had.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Possible. 

Or he’s trying to keep the Colts Org hate going (which has been their main tactic) at the expense of the one person who literally led the NFLPA and has demonstrated his character on many more occasions than JT has. 

I’m not trying to impugn you, but I just have a hard time believing someone who months ago said he was going to play out his contract but now isn’t. Especially when he’s now disparaging one of the more high class people the org has had.

That's fine, it's understandable. I'm just looking from the viewpoint that Saturday had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a HC, and it matched up with Taylors injury. It could be true or false. I'm just trying to figure out whether Taylor is lying, or if he's revealing a secret about Saturday that the Colts organization didn't want to get out to the public out of spite. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's fine, it's understandable. I'm just looking from the viewpoint that Saturday had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a HC, and it matched up with Taylors injury. It could be true or false. I'm just trying to figure out whether Taylor is lying, or if he's revealing a secret about Saturday that the Colts organization didn't want to get out to the public out of spite. 

Which again beggars the question, why now? Why not when the injury was actually relevant and talks of an extension had broken down? It would have benefited him reporting this weeks ago. If this was true it would be catastrophic for the organization. To me, the delay in bringing this up indicates he’s grasping at straws and is trying any little thing to force the colts into trading him for less than they want. 

Tell him he’s benched for the season and that the franchise tag will be coming unless he comes back to the table.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

Which again beggars the question, why now? Why not when the injury was actually relevant and talks of an extension had broken down? It would have benefited him reporting this weeks ago. If this was true it would be catastrophic for the organization. To me, the delay in bringing this up indicates he’s grasping at straws and is trying any little thing to force the colts into trading him for less than they want. 

Tell him he’s benched for the season and that the franchise tag will be coming unless he comes back to the table.

Yeah, he doesn't care anymore. Taylor is either lying, or he's trying to damage the organization. He should have reported this to Ballard in private if true, not aired his dirty laundry in public. He's using it as a tool to try and get off the team 100%, it's not going to work until minimum, at the trade deadline. 

I would bench him for the season as well at this point. Don't allow it to become a distraction this season. Next season, allow him to negotiate if he wants as you said. If he's willing to work out a reasonable deal for a couple years, pay him, if not, tag him, and see who may need him next year when things are different.

I'm over this whole thing at this point. I just want to watch football. I'm only interested in what's true and what's not with Taylor. I'm not realistically expecting him to play much at all this year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, he doesn't care anymore. Taylor is either lying, or he's trying to damage the organization. He should have reported this to Ballard in private if true, not aired his dirty laundry in public. He's using it as a tool to try and get off the team 100%, it's not going to work until minimum, at the trade deadline. 

I would bench him for the season as well at this point. Don't allow it to become a distraction this season. Next season, allow him to negotiate if he wants as you said. If he's willing to work out a reasonable deal for a couple years, pay him, if not, tag him, and see who may need him next year when things are different.

I'm over this whole thing at this point. I just want to watch football. I'm only interested in what's true and what's not with Taylor. I'm not realistically expecting him to play much at all this year. 

Been saying all along that Taylor is a liar. I really hope the colts have proof he’s faking cause they can per the CBA bring down some serious levels of punishments 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Be careful saying things like "he doesn't care, he's using it now....." Etc.  When you yourself previously stated more or less that you ASSUMED Taylor said this somewhere...

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would Ballard say that the relationship with Taylor is "Repairable" if Taylor is the one telling the lies? If the Colts have played things by the books then what would there be to repair?

Ballard is doing the right thing, but while doing the right thing, it is still causing a divide between the Colts and Taylor, because Taylor feels he should be extended and paid. You can be in the right and still disagree with someone that's wrong.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why would Ballard say that the relationship with Taylor is "Repairable" if Taylor is the one telling the lies? If the Colts have played things by the books then what would there be to repair?

If Ballard came out and said the opposite, then that puts the team in a worse spot. This way, they can still attempt to make JT see reason, or at the very least play that side of the scenario.

Its unlikely but JT could come to his senses and realize he has been a man-child and fire his loser agent and agree to play out this year and fight for an extension or put on an audition.

Killing what remains of the relationship serves no benefit to the org.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I took this to mean the Colts are leaving a path for Taylor to save face (a little) and return without having to admit he was lying all along.  They've acknowledged the on-going pain with ankle and that he won't play until Taylor feels it's safe to return.  They might still believe he's lying, but are leaving a path for him to return after sitting out by claiming the ankle is now good enough when he returns.  This is an olive branch being offered by the team.  Just my opinion.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh I know they won’t Do it. I just wish they would IF the evidence supported it of course

Depending on your perspective, to Ballard’s credit or detriment,  he’s trying to salvage the JT situation.   I don’t see him blowing this up and making a bad situation worse.   I think he’s trying to put the tooth paste back in the tube.    Which rarely, if ever works,  but I think he’s trying.   

I suppose things could dramatically change around the trade deadline, which I think is the end of October.   I guess it depends on whether things have calmed down more, or if JT and his agent go scorched earth at the deadline.   Hope not,  but this feels like the most bizarre storyline in my 12 years of Colts fandom….   

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Depending on your perspective, to Ballard’s credit or detriment,  he’s trying to salvage the JT situation.   I don’t see him blowing this up and making a bad situation worse.   I think he’s trying to put the tooth paste back in the tube.    Which rarely, if ever works,  but I think he’s trying.   

I suppose things could dramatically change around the trade deadline, which I think is the end of October.   I guess it depends on whether things have calmed down more, or if JT and his agent go scorched earth at the deadline.   Hope not,  but this feels like the most bizarre storyline in my 12 years of Colts fandom….   

I am not necessarily believing that Ballard is trying to salvage the situation. I think it is well beyond repair.  I am on record that they would not get a lot in terms of trade offers . We heard a couple of teams kicked the tires but I am not sure they even made an offer of any draft picks. I think what Ballard is hoping for is an injury to a teams rb snd then they turn to the Colts, and then Ballard has some leverage. I totally believe that Ballard would have pulled the trigger on even a 3rd rounder. I really believe that no team even made an offer. Taylor was probably not willing to play under his current dealt. Therefore, no offer was made. Just my feeling.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ehhh second only to Lucks stunt 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Either one is awful.   

ehhh, at this point, I don't see Taylor playing more than a handful of games for us this year. If he plays 13 games, then Taylor is worth more. If he sits out, then Ballard should have done the deal IMO. I'd like to believe Ballard knows more than us at this point on what Taylor is going to do, but I feel he's just hoping at this point like all of us that this can be worked out at some point.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

For this to be true, you’d have to believe Saturday went to Taylor and said something like “Play on your injured ankle and we will take care of you” or “Play hurt and we will reward you with an extension and massive pay increase.” And Taylor would believe this? He would believe that Saturday had the power to offer this? Almost every article about JT mentions how smart he is—he’d have to be pretty foolish and naive to believe this with nothing in writing. It’s true Saturday lacked experience as a coach but he had plenty of experience as a player, and I just don’t believe these type of back room deals are something players deal with. I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not necessarily believing that Ballard is trying to salvage the situation. I think it is well beyond repair.  I am on record that they would not get a lot in terms of trade offers . We heard a couple of teams kicked the tires but I am not sure they even made an offer of any draft picks. I think what Ballard is hoping for is an injury to a teams rb snd then they turn to the Colts, and then Ballard has some leverage. I totally believe that Ballard would have pulled the trigger on even a 3rd rounder. I really believe that no team even made an offer. Taylor was probably not willing to play under his current dealt. Therefore, no offer was made. Just my feeling.

An anonymous GM in The Athletic said it best: Other GMs don’t want your problems. How much is a RB coming off injury and who can’t get past a routine surgery or is lying about his injury and oh yeah maybe a bad back too and apparently wants a record-setting deal and sulks if he doesn’t get really worth? I don’t know but seemingly not much because no way Balllard doesn’t jump at a second rounder or perhaps even a third to get rid of this headache of a situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1