Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

His agent clearly put that info out about him planning on passing his physical this past Sunday to try and get more trade interest after he comes off pup.

No it was rap and shefty Sunday putting the info out. Ptobsbly from his agent.

Do you think that Rap and Shefty would stoop so unprofessional to be reporting what JTs agent is telling him the COLTS are thinking? 

They may be bad reporters in this age, but they are not bad enough to not know when a player's agent is attempting to represent what Irsay is thinking.  That would be a pretty unprofessional thing to report, so I don't think it was JTs agent floating the idea that the Colts are thinking JT will pass a physical.

19 hours ago, SR711 said:

The Colts are more capable of winning games when JT is on the field as opposed when he is not. This is especially true with a pretty inexperienced rookie QB starting and the lack of other elite talent at other skill positions.  If this simple (perhaps obvious) point was not evident prior to yesterday's game, it really should be abundantly clear now.  

I really don't understand what good it does this franchise to dig in their heels about JT being under contract and honoring said contract when we see similar situations (see Chris Jones with KC) and the two sides work to some re working of an existing contract in order to incentivize an impact player to come back.   

In my opinion, Ballard and whoever else involved in the stance here have needlessly cost the team potential wins in the first 4 games this season all because they want to hold steadfast to some nonsensical, idealistic view instead of being pragmatic about the situation. 

Winning this year is certainly not a priority. Getting young guys experience is THE priority.

Winning this season! would be detrimental to our long term goals.

Sorry, but you are making assumptions on subjects you have zero information on. 

What was JT's minimum to play this season? A couple million in incentives?

Or 4 years $60m?

AFTER he passes a physical will we offer him anything?

Unknown.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do you think that Rap and Shefty would stoop so unprofessional to be reporting what JTs agent is telling him the COLTS are thinking? 

They may be bad reporters in this age, but they are not bad enough to not know when a player's agent is attempting to represent what Irsay is thinking.  That's pretty unprofessional, so I don't think it was JTs agent floating the idea that the Colts are thinking JT will pass a physical.

Lol. It was not what the colts are thinking. Thdy said he was planning on passing  his physical. Here is the link. Twitter links won’t embed anymore. This wasn’t from the colts. 

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1700813279185039809?s=20

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They may be bad reporters in this age, but they are not bad enough to not know when a player's agent is attempting to represent what Irsay is thinking.  That would be a pretty unprofessional thing to report, so I don't think it was JTs agent floating the idea that the Colts are thinking JT will pass a physical.

These are the same type of people that reported Andrew Luck was retiring before Luck had a chance to tell anyone. Unprofessional is not a far reach at all. These cats don't care about anything other than people viewing their "news".

• Thanks 1

This is what the tweet said. Not what colts were  thinking. This is from his agent to get trade talks going again. 

Jonathan Taylor, who now is on Physically Unable to Perform List through Week 4 due to an ankle injury, is “going to pass his physical and could pass it today,” per source. Taylor is planning to be ready to play as early as Week 5, when he is eligible to come off the PUP list.

• Thanks 1

I'm kind of done with the politics game between JT and the Colts. Just waiting for the resolution one way or the other. I'm glad the Colts have told him to do his job(rehab) and not be a distraction in the meantime. I'm glad he wasn't at the game the other day with the camera panning to him on every Deon Jackson fumble or stuffed run. I'm glad I could enjoy that game for whatever it was. If he's ready to play week 5 and the Colts are good with it... good. Get him back in play. If they want to trade him - sure... just... I'm done with JT. He's gotten enough attention for a player who hasn't practiced with the team for 10 months and has very publicly requested a trade, almost certainly is FAKING an injury to stay away from team activities. Good... stay away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Winning this year is certainly not a priority. Getting young guys experience is THE priority.

Winning this season! would be detrimental to our long term goals.

Sorry, but you are making assumptions on subjects you have zero information on. 

What was JT's minimum to play this season? A couple million in incentives?

Or 4 years $60m?

AFTER he passes a physical will we offer him anything?

Unknown.

I agree 100% with what you have said before, JT will not "step on the field" until he gets guaranteed money. 

What that number is, and when he'll agree to it, and with whom may change as the days pass, but I don't think he will risk his career by even practicing very much and twisting a knee in practice.  He will give up the remaining 3.Whatever million dollars this season if he has to, to get his accrual for free agency by reporting when he has to.  As a worst case scenario for him.

Based on his abilities already displayed, he can get $10M guaranteed by a team next spring, IMO.   That is security against a torn ACL on the first day of practice.  It may be over a 3 year contract, but guaranteed money is guaranteed day 1, so he gives up 3 something million from this October to December to get $10 million a few months later in May...plus whatever he might earn on the nonguaranteed portion over.....say.....three years.  Give up 3 to get 10 is a 250% return on investment, guaranteed in May.

If I was him, its a no brainer decision and a strategy he could have laid out last May. 

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, Holder's sources..  Either a good source or a bad one.   Somebody is floating the idea that JT is healthy, which hasn't happened through official reporters until now, IIRC.  They are either speaking for the Colts or pretending to speak for the Colts in order to change the thinking from JT not being healthy to him being healthy...right now.  Before that, both JT's camp and the Colts actions of putting him on PUP suggests that both sides were (officially) saying that he was not healthy.  

From Chappell, not Holder. And the way he words it, I think it's unlikely that a source sympathetic to Taylor would give this info. My assumption is this is a Colts source, not a Taylor source.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Superman said:

From Chappell, not Holder. And the way he words it, I think it's unlikely that a source sympathetic to Taylor would give this info. My assumption is this is a Colts source, not a Taylor source.

The source is almost certainly Irsay IMO... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm kind of done with the politics game between JT and the Colts. Just waiting for the resolution one way or the other. I'm glad the Colts have told him to do his job(rehab) and not be a distraction in the meantime. I'm glad he wasn't at the game the other day with the camera panning to him on every Deon Jackson fumble or stuffed run. I'm glad I could enjoy that game for whatever it was. If he's ready to play week 5 and the Colts are good with it... good. Get him back in play. If they want to trade him - sure... just... I'm done with JT. He's gotten enough attention for a player who hasn't practiced with the team for 9 months and has very publicly requested a trade, almost certainly is FAKING an injury to stay away from team activities. Good... stay away. 

My prediction is he gets traded in the next month. If they activate him and let him play without incentivizing him, they're setting themselves up to be played. 

• Like 2

My prediction is he gets traded in the next month. If they activate him and let him play without incentivizing him, they're setting themselves up to be played. 

I don't even know what the end game is at this point from Colts' perspective. They supposedly want him to play out this year... or trade him if they get blown away by an offer. I don't know what would have changed for them to trade him in the next month? Would they get any better offer than they did earlier? 

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is what the tweet said. Not what colts were  thinking. This is from his agent to get trade talks going again. 

Jonathan Taylor, who now is on Physically Unable to Perform List through Week 4 due to an ankle injury, is “going to pass his physical and could pass it today,” per source. Taylor is planning to be ready to play as early as Week 5, when he is eligible to come off the PUP list.

Okay, that makes more sense than Holder. Shefty, etc reporting what the Colts were thinking by a source not tied to the Colts.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay. well, Chloe has confused me.   I agree with you, the Colts floated this idea to the reporters.  And they did it now because its easier to trade him before October....JMO.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't even know what the end game is at this point from Colts' perspective. They supposedly want him to play out this year... or trade him if they get blown away by an offer. I don't know what would have changed for them to trade him in the next month? Would they get any better offer than they did earlier? 

In theory, if he practices for a week and plays, then questions about his health are put to rest. Maybe that boosts his trade value? And then the Colts don't have to worry about him shutting it down after one game.

Before these latest reports, especially asking him to stay away (assuming that's legit; it came from Holder and I simply don't trust him on this matter), I thought the plan was for him to come back and play for the Colts. But if they're telling him to minimize his time at the facility, then it seems like they don't intend for him to be a part of the team moving forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What came from national media was not the same thing that came from this.

Chappell says the source told him this. That's meaningful to me in this situation, moreso that anything any other media member is saying. It's not slanted toward JT, if anything it's slanted against him, so I think it's unlikely that his source is JT's side or agent. 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

They need him to be healthy so they will get a better offer. We will see if that comes down to him playing a couple games for colts  to prove health to other teams.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Two 4th rounders.  LOL.  Do you think Irsay seriously expects GB or MIA to give up Watson or Waddle?   Nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

In theory, if he practices for a week and plays, then questions about his health are put to rest. Maybe that boosts his trade value? And then the Colts don't have to worry about him shutting it down after one game.

Before these latest reports, especially asking him to stay away (assuming that's legit; it came from Holder and I simply don't trust him on this matter), I thought the plan was for him to come back and play for the Colts. But if they're telling him to minimize his time at the facility, then it seems like they don't intend for him to be a part of the team moving forward. 

I guess an option would be for him to return and play at a high level until the trade deadline and for some contender to suffer an injury at RB... or for them to be underperforming and their running game to be lacking? I don't know... I guess we will see... 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Chappell says the source told him this. That's meaningful to me in this situation, moreso that anything any other media member is saying. It's not slanted toward JT, if anything it's slanted against him, so I think it's unlikely that his source is JT's side or agent. 

I am not discounting Chappell. What he is reporting is probably from Irsay and colts believing he is healthy. That’s legit. I am just saying the national stuff that came out Sunday by the national media came from his agent to let teams know he will be ready when he comes off pup.  Two separate things. I was not discounting either. Both are legit.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am not discounting Chappell. What he is reporting is probably from Irsay and colts believing he is healthy. That’s legit. I am just saying the national stuff that came out Sunday by the national media came from his agent to let teams know he will be ready when he comes off pup.  Two separate things. I was not discounting either.

Understood. I think Chappell piggybacked on Holder's tweet, and people assume those two reports are the same, but they might not be. Chap's source could be different, and the conversation could have been different, leading to the extra info that the Colts have believed he could pass a physical for a long time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't trade him for 2 4th rounders. 

2nd and 3d is where I've landed with my expectations... :dunno:

see I’m sticking to my guns on this, 2 1s at a minimum. If no one gives that, tag him and let him ride the bench all next year for all I care 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I guess an option would be for him to return and play at a high level until the trade deadline and for some contender to suffer an injury at RB... or for them to be underperforming and their running game to be lacking? I don't know... I guess we will see... 

Yup, just proof of concept, evidence that he can actually play. The Ravens might want him now that Dobbins is hurt. Maybe the Rams get involved, if they aren't actually tanking...

If Kareem Hunt winds up getting signed, I'll be leaning even more toward the trade angle.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

see I’m sticking to my guns on this, 2 1s at a minimum. If no one gives that, tag him and let him ride the bench all next year for all I care 

Well (2) 1st isn't happening, but I would still be good with Hunt and a 2nd.

Seeing how Miami played on Sunday, I think they should be lining up to do whatever they need to, to add Taylor to that offense

It might make them the favorites with how loaded that offense is.

Just now, richard pallo said:

That’s what I’m saying.  He passes the physical.  Then you remove him from pup and once removed he starts practicing.

He can't be removed till after week 4.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Mutually assured destruction.

I understand the sentiment, don't let players and their agents play this game. But I think it's reaching a point where both sides are taking the hits, and no one can come out a winner. And once you reach that point, maybe a compromise is best, especially given where the Colts are in their team building process.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I know some of this in tongue-in cheek.   I have no idea what JTs value is to another team.  I'm just speculating that what Irsay will take is actually much less than has been reported thus far.   Equivalent of a first round pick is a bit lofty considering the new team will have to salary cap JT like he is a free agent with a new contract.   

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I understand the sentiment, don't let players and their agents play this game. But I think it's reaching a point where both sides are taking the hits, and no one can come out a winner. And once you reach that point, maybe a compromise is best, especially given where the Colts are in their team building process.

Other than in the national media, i don’t think the Colts have taken many hits at all. 

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well (2) 1st isn't happening, but I would still be good with Hunt and a 2nd.

Seeing how Miami played on Sunday, I think they should be lining up to do whatever they need to, to add Taylor to that offense

It might make them the favorites with how loaded that offense is.

He can't be removed till after week 4.

I’ll be honest, I’d be good with Hunt and a 3rd at this stage 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I know some of this in tongue-in cheek.   I have no idea what JTs value is to another team.  I'm just speculating that what Irsay will take is actually much less than has been reported thus far.   Equivalent of a first round pick is a bit lofty considering the new team will have to salary cap JT like he is a free agent with a new contract.   

Him needing new contract at this exact moment might not be a negative. I would much rather have JT on 2023 RB contract than on 2021-2022 McCaffrey/Kamara/Henry/Chubb contract. If all he can get is like 11-12M a year this might be a good time to give him a contract if you've decided to give him one. There might never be better time to give a RB a contract. (if we think this is a blip, rather than a new trend?)

Just now, csmopar said:

Other than in the national media, i don’t think the Colts have taken many hits at all. 

That's the prevailing narrative, the one pushed by national media. Even if it's bogus...

But aside from that, the Colts just lost what might have been a winnable game, while their best offensive weapon was unavailable due to this contract dispute. And their most important young player got hurt during the game. So the narrative is only getting worse. They might be figuring that it's best to just get it over with and move on. Especially if they were already wondering if Taylor even fits with their future plans.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I couldn’t read anything you wrote after this…only because my mind started to sing Megadeth upon reading those words.

That's the prevailing narrative, the one pushed by national media. Even if it's bogus...

But aside from that, the Colts just lost what might have been a winnable game, while their best offensive weapon was unavailable due to this contract dispute. And their most important young player got hurt during the game. So the narrative is only getting worse. They might be figuring that it's best to just get it over with and move on. Especially if they were already wondering if Taylor even fits with their future plans.

I saw a tweet on Sunday that said

"Packers let Love sit for 2 years, he looks good  and prepared.

Colts get their QB hurt"

Something along those lines.....

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

What about the Bucs? Their 2nd and 3rd might end up being good ones. Their 1st rounder probably is used on a QB most likely??

Or get Antoine Winfield Jr., a 3rd and a 4th for JT?? 🙂

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

What about the Bucs? Their 2nd and 3rd might end up being good ones. Their 1st rounder probably is used on a QB most likely??

Or get Antoine Winfield Jr., a 3rd and a 4th for JT??

Mike Evans.

They've already said they aren't extending him.

• Like 1